Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great series of programmes on Airships. 16:36 - Oct 5 with 2599 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Was listening to Iron Maiden 'Empire of the Clouds' about the R101 that crashes 85 years ago today and found this little series after doing some youtube-fu.

Watched all 3 as there is no boss today Worth a look if you like that sort of stuff

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 19:48 - Oct 5 with 2561 viewsMonahoop

My old man was 7 when the R101 crashed. He remembered seeing it fly low over the housing estate in Southgate where he was living at the time, the day it crashed.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 19:59 - Oct 5 with 2550 viewsflynnbo

I live quite close to the hangars where they were constructed; they're absolutely enormous and visiting the graveyard there is quite an emotional experience.
Great series of programmes on Airships. on 20:04 - Oct 5 with 2547 viewsMaggsinho

Dirigible Dreams is well worth a read if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dirigible-Dreams-C-Michael-Hiam/dp/1611685605
Great series of programmes on Airships. on 20:11 - Oct 5 with 2538 viewsexiled_dictator

a great song from an already classic album.

have to say that i didn't know the britain had airships; i thought it was only the germans with their zeppelins.
so thanks for the history lesson, bruce.

(tears of a clown is also a standout track. apparently about robin williams and his suicide)

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 21:06 - Oct 5 with 2520 viewsjohncharles

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 19:48 - Oct 5 by Monahoop

My old man was 7 when the R101 crashed. He remembered seeing it fly low over the housing estate in Southgate where he was living at the time, the day it crashed.

My dad used tell how he saw the R101 passing over Anglesey when he was a kid.

Strong and stable my arse.

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 01:04 - Oct 6 with 2480 viewsisawqpratwcity

I saw Steve Fossett's "Spirit of Freedom" balloon flying just north of Mildura on the first successful non-stop solo circumnavigation in any kind of aircraft in 2002.

The bloke was a rich adventurer, setting lots of records in planes, gliders, balloons and sailboats before dying alone in a plane crash, his body eaten by wild animals (cool!).

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 08:38 - Oct 6 with 2435 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 20:11 - Oct 5 by exiled_dictator

a great song from an already classic album.

have to say that i didn't know the britain had airships; i thought it was only the germans with their zeppelins.
so thanks for the history lesson, bruce.

(tears of a clown is also a standout track. apparently about robin williams and his suicide)

Programme 2 shows how we screwed over the Germans and nicked the tech of Zeppelin to make our own.

The R100 and 101 were built at the same time but the 100 was private and the 101 opulent, expensive and built by the government. When it was found that it was under powered and unweildy it was sent back to be lengthened.

Hugh Eckner (sp) who took over Zeppelin from Graf Von Zeppelin and was the doyen of all things airship, took one look atoit and said it was unairworthy.

We basically launched a huge unsailable sausage to India for political reasons.

On a par with Alexander the Great I think and that is my fav Maiden song. the riff after the Morse SOS gives me goosebumps.

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 08:42 - Oct 6 with 2433 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 20:04 - Oct 5 by Maggsinho

Dirigible Dreams is well worth a read if you're interested.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dirigible-Dreams-C-Michael-Hiam/dp/1611685605

Thanks that looks good. I'm going to buy a copy.

EDIT Purchased
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 8:51]

Login to get fewer ads

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 15:43 - Oct 6 with 2365 viewsDorse

The technology of the day was quite limited compared with today. Is it feasible to reassess the concept and use lighter than air for heavy lifting? The potential savings in road haulage could be incredible, if safe (say helium?) airships could carry freight containers from ports to redistribution hubs.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 23:57 - Oct 6 with 2323 viewsWanderR

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 15:43 - Oct 6 by Dorse

The technology of the day was quite limited compared with today. Is it feasible to reassess the concept and use lighter than air for heavy lifting? The potential savings in road haulage could be incredible, if safe (say helium?) airships could carry freight containers from ports to redistribution hubs.

The basic problem still remains that lighter-than-air aircraft cannot lift nearly as much weight as heavier-than-air aircraft without becoming infeasibly large and unwieldy. Any modern craft is likely to lift less than the airships of the 1920s and 1930s as helium rather than hydrogen would be used. They also cannot travel at anywhere near the speed of a jet aircraft. You may be able to resurrect the concept on a limited basis as a form of airborne cruise ship in the same manner as airships like the Hindenburg but as a way of transporting passengers and goods efficiently they're pretty rubbish.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 23:58]

Current location: OX10

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 01:18 - Oct 7 with 2308 viewsDorse

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 23:57 - Oct 6 by WanderR

The basic problem still remains that lighter-than-air aircraft cannot lift nearly as much weight as heavier-than-air aircraft without becoming infeasibly large and unwieldy. Any modern craft is likely to lift less than the airships of the 1920s and 1930s as helium rather than hydrogen would be used. They also cannot travel at anywhere near the speed of a jet aircraft. You may be able to resurrect the concept on a limited basis as a form of airborne cruise ship in the same manner as airships like the Hindenburg but as a way of transporting passengers and goods efficiently they're pretty rubbish.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 23:58]

I see. So you're saying my Zepplin shares are worthless?

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Great series of programmes on Airships. on 08:31 - Oct 7 with 2275 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The last. turned into Stuka's

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024