Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Messi Situation 13:24 - Oct 9 with 1000 viewsFredManRave

Isn't it just and I'll admit that the more I read about it the more confused I get but that´s more to do with the contradiction from within the Spanish Public Prosecutor.

"Although the prosecutor has argued Lionel Messi should not have to answer the charges as his father oversaw his finances, a court document published on Thursday showed the judge in the case had ruled he must still appear as a defendant and the forward could face up to 22 months in jail if found guilty".

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/09/barcelona-lionel-messi-tax-charg

However, I am quite clear in my belief that Messi should not be held responsible. Taken from another article;

"Messi's lawyers had argued that the player had "never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing" the contracts, El Pais newspaper reported earlier".

And I imagine this to be the case. I just can't see for a mintue that he would have actually had any real knowledge or understanding of the scams that his father was undertaking. He put his trust and presumably paid his father to "deal with" all his taxes and assumed that he would act accordingly but within the law.

For those of you with accountants, I'm sure that you don't go through all the paperwork in detail with your accountant and have any understanding of exactly what theír processes are and the laws involved. You just trust in them. Should you pay with a possible jail term because they turned out to be breaking the law?! Exactly what is your responsibility as far as your knowledge and understanding of what your "trusted accountant" is doing to get you your best tax return?!

Genuinely interested to hear opinions from anybody who is in agreement with Messi being prosecuted. Obviously all the above is complete twaddle if it transpires that there is written or video evidence that he was well aware of what was going on but assuming there isn't and he wasn't the question stands.

Answers on a post...
[Post edited 9 Oct 2015 13:26]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Messi Situation on 13:36 - Oct 9 with 958 viewsJigsore

Laymans view here but while I don't think Messi should face jail time are we going to pretend a 28 year old man is completely bereft of responsibility for what happens to his money?

"never devoted a minute of his life to reading, studying or analysing" = Footballers live in a bubble and can't be expected to be normal human beings

You have to show some authority. Big fine. Like... big.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Messi Situation on 13:44 - Oct 9 with 934 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

I think it depends on how the law is interpreted - if you employ someone, or have someone acting on your behalf, then it may be construed that you should be doing things like audits and checks and ensuring that those you place in position to do said task for you are doing it the fit and proper way.

With his mega bucks Im amazed he didnt tell his entire family tree to live the good life and he would finance professionals to do it all for them.
Messi Situation on 13:46 - Oct 9 with 930 viewshopphoops

The "Redknapp Exemption" - I'll take your millions but functionally i'm a toddler.

If I want to pass on legal responsibility for my accounts I employ an accountant.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Messi Situation on 13:49 - Oct 9 with 920 viewsjohncharles

Messi Situation on 13:46 - Oct 9 by hopphoops

The "Redknapp Exemption" - I'll take your millions but functionally i'm a toddler.

If I want to pass on legal responsibility for my accounts I employ an accountant.

And a dog

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024