Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dublin 12:54 - Oct 15 with 2350 viewsYorkRanger

At the risk of appearing like some kind of Alan Whicker, taking Mrs York to Dublin for a few days in Half Term week, partly as a quid pro quo for my recent Berlin excursion.

Been many times with work but never done the Tourist things. Would welcome any dos and donts, places to go and those to avoid from my well travelled LFW friends...
Dublin on 13:07 - Oct 15 with 2326 viewsfLaMeBoY

Hire a car and drive to Galway! :-)
Dublin on 13:23 - Oct 15 with 2312 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dublin on 13:07 - Oct 15 by fLaMeBoY

Hire a car and drive to Galway! :-)

True, but only if Cork is full up!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dublin on 13:24 - Oct 15 with 2303 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm no expert on the lads inside the pale, York, but i'll ask my Dub friends and come up with something.

Dublin on 14:05 - Oct 15 with 2261 viewsHayesender

Take her to the Guinness brewery

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Dublin on 15:45 - Oct 15 with 2213 viewsrobith

Kilmainham Gaol
Dublin Castle
Teeling Distillery (the Jameson's one hasn't made whiskey for about 100 years - there's about to be an explosion of Irish whiskey as they're all coming to maturation, get in on the ground floor)

Galway Bay Brewery make some of the best beers in the world - try their pubs Against The Grain or Alfie Byrne's

Breakfast at Bewley's

Pubs - O'Donahuges, Doheny & Nesbitts, Hairy Lemon, Sinnots, Bruxelles

Restaurant - BEAR - best steak, and the million dollar fries (potato dauphainse deep fried in beef dripping) are worth the visit alone
Dublin on 15:47 - Oct 15 with 2210 viewsrobith

Also a walk on the pier at Dun Lagohaire
Dublin on 16:07 - Oct 15 with 2183 viewsQPRMUSO

Must go to Il Vicoletto on Crow Street, top Italian and not too expensive, you won't regret it.
Dublin on 16:15 - Oct 15 with 2171 viewsDesertBoot

Cafe En Seine on Dover Street (just off Merrion Square) for a drink and a snack.
Walk around Merrion Square itself to see all the multi-coloured doors on the fine Georgian houses - Oscar Wilde lived here.
The Shelbourne Hotel for a drink in it's beautiful bar or tea in the lovely team room.
The Guinness Brewery tour is a must that ends with a pint in the rooftop bar with views across the city.
Avoid Temple Bar.

Wish I could be like David Watts

Login to get fewer ads

Dublin on 17:54 - Oct 15 with 2115 viewsheadhoops

Cleaver East restaurant food is great - that's in the U2 Hotel on the river. Guinness is OK, but (waits for pelters) the rest is pretty uninspiring. Copenhagen, Prague, Dubrovnik, Berlin, Paris all as accessible and loads more to see/do.
Take an umbrella or two.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Dublin on 18:24 - Oct 15 with 2089 viewsderbyhoop

I wouldn't recommend Café en Seine. Pretentious.
Definitely avoid Temple Bar. It's like admitting that you want to be ripped off.
But I'd agree with o'donoghues, Guiness Brewery and Kilmainham.
Visit Trinity College and the Book of Kells.
St Patricks Cathedral is worth a short visit.
Can't remember the name of the pub at the bottom of Camden St (Prancing Horse?) near St Stephens green and Iveagh Gardens but a decent pint.
Also Molloys near Connolly Station

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Dublin on 18:35 - Oct 15 with 2059 viewspaulparker

See you there York we are in Dublin that week also
Highly recommend the Guinness & Jameson tours

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Dublin on 20:33 - Oct 15 with 2017 viewsMonahoop

Dublin on 15:47 - Oct 15 by robith

Also a walk on the pier at Dun Lagohaire

A great place for a donder were it not for the vast amounts of dog poo there. Keep your eyes firmly peeled on the ground.

Most places already mentioned are worth a visit. Avoid Temple Bar at night especially at weekends. The place becomes a rowdy Scouse/Manc/Essex oik/oikette fest. There is now a museum dedicated to the Irish rock/ music scene there. I've not been yet and I think it will be loaded with U2 stuff. You can be certain Bono made sure of that. If you're interested in films visit the Irish Film Institute [IFI]off Dame Street, near the Olympia Theatre. Some great foreign and non mainstream films to be seen there and my eldest daughter works there, so I thought I'd better plug the place.

What ever you decide to do, have a nice time.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Dublin on 20:51 - Oct 15 with 1999 viewsbatmanhoop

Grafton Street, where all ghosts meet
Dublin on 08:05 - Oct 16 with 1924 viewsqprmeath

Dublin on 18:24 - Oct 15 by derbyhoop

I wouldn't recommend Café en Seine. Pretentious.
Definitely avoid Temple Bar. It's like admitting that you want to be ripped off.
But I'd agree with o'donoghues, Guiness Brewery and Kilmainham.
Visit Trinity College and the Book of Kells.
St Patricks Cathedral is worth a short visit.
Can't remember the name of the pub at the bottom of Camden St (Prancing Horse?) near St Stephens green and Iveagh Gardens but a decent pint.
Also Molloys near Connolly Station

Bleeding Horse
Dublin on 19:52 - Oct 25 with 1848 viewsYorkRanger

Chaps, head off Tuesday so apologies for bumping this just in case anyone has any further thoughts? Cheers
Dublin on 20:50 - Oct 25 with 1803 viewsBlackCrowe

Dublin on 19:52 - Oct 25 by YorkRanger

Chaps, head off Tuesday so apologies for bumping this just in case anyone has any further thoughts? Cheers

Remember the seaside town half an hour from Dublin called Bray being a good spot with a couple of notable boozers.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Dublin on 08:38 - Oct 26 with 1689 viewsqprmeath

Few random thoughts. Do the Guinness tour. You can do tours of Croke Park and the Aviva Stadium (Lansdowne Road) but Croke Park one is definitely better. Eat in Avenue in Temple Bar, its on Crow Street, or Taste at Rustic which is kind of sushi with an Irish twist. Mulligans(beside tara street station) is a nice traditional pub but its not really in a tourist area depends where you are staying. Buy one of these if you intend using public transport. Available from Spar shop in Dublin airport
https://www.transportforireland.ie/leap-card/leap-visitor-card/
Dublin on 09:05 - Oct 26 with 1681 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, I have limited knowledge of Cromwell's Capital but I asked a few Dub friends and this is what I have:-

1) Keep an eye on http://dublinsessions.ie/ for a bit of trad music
2) Head out to Howth on the DART - nice seaside village/suburb, good for a walk, bite to eat, pint. The Bloody Stream beside the station is a good place for food and porter.
3) Kilmainham Jail, and Trinity to see the Book of Kells. Did these myself. Well worth it
4) Mulligans in Poolbeg Street or The Long Hall on South Great George's Street.
5) Whelan's at night - always good music.
6) Tour of Croke Park and the GAA Museum. Ireland and all its history on one pitch. Go and see a hurling game if you can. Check on GAA.ie or DublinGAA.ie. You won't regret it.

Have a good time, Yorkie.

Dublin on 13:45 - Oct 26 with 1643 viewsrobith

Dublin on 20:50 - Oct 25 by BlackCrowe

Remember the seaside town half an hour from Dublin called Bray being a good spot with a couple of notable boozers.

....really? Bray is horrible!
Dublin on 14:29 - Oct 26 with 1611 viewsjohncharles

The bullet holes in the wall of the Post Office in O'Connell street are very moving.

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024