Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Estate Agents (non QPR) 14:45 - Nov 13 with 6631 viewsSuffolkHoop

They don't always help much do they.
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 10:40 - Nov 14 with 1945 viewsMytch_QPR

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 10:38 - Nov 14 by johncharles

Got the house on the market at the moment.
Estate agents have sent about 30 people round
Of the 30, I was here personally for 3 of them and showed them round and chatted.
We have had 3 offers.
Guess which 3 have made the the offers.

Do you want a job?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 10:51 - Nov 14 with 1937 viewsDiscodroids

ive always been something of a property baron..

A) bought my first flat in Ilford for £64,000 1990
Sold may 1994 for £30,000

B) bought 3 bed semi in Newbury park 1994 for £70,000 from the salvation army (it used to house tramps!) spent £30,000 on it.
wife divorced me summer 1996..walked out into the abyss on a charlie /Alcohol/lap dancing fueled rampage and signed over the house..she sold it for £385,000 in 2011.

C)bought 2 bed masionette in redbridge for £68,000 IN 1998 SOLD IN 2003 FOR £171,000, moved to romford wheEr wife number two divorced me..walked out into the abyss on a Charlie/Alcohol/lap dancing fueled rampage and signed over the house in 2006 , she sold it 2011 for £335,000

d)learned my lesson, no charlie no lap dancing no divorce no walking into the abyss no signing over the deeds to houses because you have children and feel guilty thus writing off in excess of £600,000..

Im taking over from Phil spencer for the next series of location location
[Post edited 14 Nov 2015 10:58]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 11:01 - Nov 14 with 1919 viewsMytch_QPR

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 10:51 - Nov 14 by Discodroids

B) bought 3 bed semi in Newbury park 1994 for £70,000 from the salvation army (it used to house tramps!) spent £30,000 on it.
wife divorced me summer 1996..walked out into the abyss on a charlie /Alcohol/lap dancing fueled rampage and signed over the house..she sold it for £385,000 in 2011.

C)bought 2 bed masionette in redbridge for £68,000 IN 1998 SOLD IN 2003 FOR £171,000, moved to romford wheEr wife number two divorced me..walked out into the abyss on a Charlie/Alcohol/lap dancing fueled rampage and signed over the house in 2006 , she sold it 2011 for £335,000

d)learned my lesson, no charlie no lap dancing no divorce no walking into the abyss no signing over the deeds to houses because you have children and feel guilty thus writing off in excess of £600,000..

You know what they say, Disco - you can't take it with you!
What's your record spend in a 'Pay & Display'?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 11:10 - Nov 14 with 1911 viewsDiscodroids

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 11:01 - Nov 14 by Mytch_QPR

You know what they say, Disco - you can't take it with you!
What's your record spend in a 'Pay & Display'?

lol,

having lost 2 houses to ex wifes and spent in the region of £150,000 easy on the south american oats ..my husbandry has been called into question on occassion.

i now set myself in dour prudent fiscal gordon brown mode, under the harsh dictate of my mrs Jo..who takes my salary and keeps me bereft of funds.on occasion giving me pin money For bottles of ale and ginsters.

any expense over £2 has to be signed for in triplicate and with the board present.
sever penaltys are accured and indeed, levied if this process is not adhered to .at all times. lucky to have a 3rd and final chance. I actually might make money on my property!

Life...what a palaver.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2015 11:14]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 12:11 - Nov 14 with 1876 viewskensalriser

On the bright side disco, you have at least now found the strict disciplinarian you have always hankered for.

May all your punishments be swift and harsh!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 12:20 - Nov 14 with 1861 viewsNeil_SI

Ouch Disco. But indeed, life eh?

Fortunately I didn't buy with my ex, who I was with for 10 years, but the best way to do these things is always 50:50.

The minute you compromise on that, it becomes awkward and difficult to resolve, especially if marriage or kids are involved.

But you are entitled to as much as you contributed or what is fair, if it isn't a 50:50 split, even if you've been naughty and done bad deeds.

Talking of house prices, my parents lived in a council flat in Shepherds Bush, which they were offered to buy it for £14,000, then £16,000, then £18,000 and then £22,000. At that time, I remember as children that we were willing them to buy it, but it was money they'd never seen or had in their lives before and coming from a poor working class background, with a lot of debt, they opted against it. That flat was valued a couple of years ago at around circa £700K, just on Goodwin Road by the Crown & Sceptre.

But that's life. You win some, you lose some.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2015 12:21]
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 12:47 - Nov 14 with 1838 viewsPommyhoop

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 12:20 - Nov 14 by Neil_SI

Fortunately I didn't buy with my ex, who I was with for 10 years, but the best way to do these things is always 50:50.

The minute you compromise on that, it becomes awkward and difficult to resolve, especially if marriage or kids are involved.

But you are entitled to as much as you contributed or what is fair, if it isn't a 50:50 split, even if you've been naughty and done bad deeds.

Talking of house prices, my parents lived in a council flat in Shepherds Bush, which they were offered to buy it for £14,000, then £16,000, then £18,000 and then £22,000. At that time, I remember as children that we were willing them to buy it, but it was money they'd never seen or had in their lives before and coming from a poor working class background, with a lot of debt, they opted against it. That flat was valued a couple of years ago at around circa £700K, just on Goodwin Road by the Crown & Sceptre.

Exactly. My old workmate and mentor had one of those mad massive flats on the road just off Ealing Broadway by the Bell pub. Four bedroom massive, high ceilings .You could have calved it up into 3 flats easy.
His wife died early ,after their 4th child. So my mate brought up 4 kids on his own in this massive 4 bedroom council flat . He bought it in Maggie's big sell off and was looking at a pretty nice retirement on the back of it, He took early retirement ,54. Died in his sleep 6 months later.
God Bless you Con.Courtney ,Gentleman and bastard in just the right mix .IMO.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 12:51 - Nov 14 with 1833 viewsoddball

snap, my old man could have bought our flat at 65 loftus rd back in the seventies for 5 books of green shield stamps and a bar of lifebuoy, we are talking six grand. im led to believe that it has sold for £400k.anytime the old man irratates me and it dont take much, i like to take him back to what could have been.
Login to get fewer ads

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 13:06 - Nov 14 with 1826 viewsade_qpr

No different down under. Told one berk in front of 200 plus people at an auction to pull his head in as he was taking I believe fake bids from the other side of the room. Another agent helping at the auction said well done. I started to walk out he quickly decided to accept my last bid. What happened to the other bidder????
Another time I had to do the running around checking about council approval of extra parts built on and found out if an insurance company found out they won't insure. Had put a offer on paper but pulled out before cooling off. She was pissed off. Rang me about 2 months later to brag about selling it. Couldn't work out why she rung up as I was saying stick your head up your own ass and swallow your own shit.
3rd time put an offer in only for the agent to ring and say I had to increase as the owner wasn't going to accept it. I said fine offer now down a thousand, they rang back the next morning to agree to the original offer.
4th time this one a little different. Won the auction at a price I was amazed at way below what I thought it would go. Agent came up and said the owner very undecided could I increase the the offer. No I said I just won the auction, then they told me the reserve price. (yes about 10,000 pound more) I said no but was thinking thanks for the info. Talk about them being desperate to make a sale, in the end got it for the auction price I bid.
Finally letting agents. Had a great pair for 10 years made me realise how lucky I was later. They sold up to someone else and christ every couple of months I had a new person looking after my properties. Recently had a gut full and told the latest bloke what I thought and boy have they been bending over backwards to please since.

Quite simply 90% of the ones I have had dealings with are A-HOLES. Although in saying that have met 2 outside of work socially and they were ok.

In the long run I can't complain. I'm up about 600,000 in capital gains so are going ok in the property market.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2015 13:14]

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 13:54 - Nov 14 with 1794 viewsNeil_SI

My flat was valued 10% more than what we paid.

If you're in a position to negotiate, you have to make the most of it. As it was a private deal, I managed to knock 10% off the valuation and ensure that the price we agreed upon was fixed for a period of time, so long as we completed in that time frame.

In addition, we also agreed that the flat would not be put on the open market in that period either, which ensured we couldn't be gazumped by someone else at the last minute.

So theoretically we made money the moment we completed. That included the 10% we'd knocked off of the original valuation, plus the house market rises for the past 12 months and the time it took to complete. And then, we also timed this around the changes to the stamp duty charges, which favoured us and saved us some money. At the same time, those changes also meant the threshold valuation for our flat worked more in our favour, as it was in a range that buyers would be put off by stamp duty costs if it was just above the threshold. That no longer exists, so it means we can potentially put it on the market at some point and still get more for it in the end.

If the bubble bursts or slows down, we still think we'd be in a reasonable position and it would be difficult for us to lose much in that scenario given the effort we put in beforehand to get ourselves the absolute best deal we could in the circumstances. Of course, we've only just bought, so we don't have any intention of selling for some time, but we do have a pathway and a plan for renovation that would substantially increase the value of the property. Having taken a lot of advice, we can extend the flat a small amount and have been told that would add 25-35% to the current value.
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 14:17 - Nov 14 with 1770 viewsPommyhoop

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 12:51 - Nov 14 by oddball

snap, my old man could have bought our flat at 65 loftus rd back in the seventies for 5 books of green shield stamps and a bar of lifebuoy, we are talking six grand. im led to believe that it has sold for £400k.anytime the old man irratates me and it dont take much, i like to take him back to what could have been.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 14:19 - Nov 14 with 1768 viewsMatch82

Lucky sod. I'm selling in Chicago and "realtor" is taking 5% of the purchase price.
5-6% is industry standard over here.
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 14:23 - Nov 14 with 1766 viewsMatch82

My nan used to live in a place in Clapham with another family, 8 kids between them. Offered the place for 5k many many moons ago. Couldn't afford it. Sold for several million a couple of years ago.

What could have been eh?
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 15:26 - Nov 14 with 1729 viewsoddball

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 14:17 - Nov 14 by Pommyhoop

great days
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 17:23 - Nov 14 with 1695 viewsderbyhoop

A girl walked into a police station and said she'd been raped. The officer asked her if she could describe the assailant. She replied " he was an estate agent. I know, because I had to do all the work".

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 18:11 - Nov 14 with 1671 viewspaulparker

I'm lucky one of my bests mates us an estate agent ( bit of prat and supports Spurs, they all do)
He done me a favour when he sold my sisters house before she emmigrated to AUZ
Even as far as nicking another new cooker out of a repo property to put in hers
Because of him I own 2 properties in Northampton with low mortgages
The pisser is I now rent in stony Stratford for 1100 a month as Mrs P now wants to be in MK

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 20:06 - Nov 14 with 1629 viewsCiderwithRsie

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 15:43 - Nov 13 by Mytch_QPR

In terms of the administrative hell, that'll be solicitors for you. Now that's a different subject altogether...

Hmmm. Many many years ago when I was a trainee solicitor (before I got lucky and rejoined the human race) it used to get right on our t*ts how estate agents would fanny around doing nothing only to have them imply to the punters by nudges and winks that it was all down to delays by solicitors. Or to imply that the solicitor was doing nothing when in fact they're e.g. awaiting a response from the local authority land charges department (as the estate agent would have known if they actually had a legal qualification, or indeed a knowledge of the conveyancing process, which they don't.)

Then when it came to putting in bill funnily enough the estate agents charge they commission at a rate that was routinely twice the percentage the solicitor charges, even though the solicitor has to spend years in college studying whereas anyone on this board could legally become an estate agent tomorrow. (You might find it tricky if you don't have a driving licence.)

As both a purchaser and a vendor myself, the main work done by the estate agents for their fee consisted of
1. Printing a set of house details, usually after having to be corrected several times. The photography and measuring was quite useful.
2. Suggesting a value which was essentially the same as every other property of the same size in the same postal area, something I could have done myself after 5 minutes with the local paper, and ignoring any specific characteristics of the property in question.
3. Handing out the details along with those of every other property in the area in the rough area to anyone who expresses an interest, (useful) including those who have said it is above their price range (less so).
4. Making a few appointments. Also, on occasion, hindering same by refusing to hand on information to me even though the information was passed to them as my agent, and talking ignorant b*llocks about the Data Protection Act justify said obstruction.

I did deal with one really good estate agent when looking for my current home who understood exactly what we wanted but as sod's law goes it turned out the best house was with a different agent who barely lifted a finger to sell it.
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 21:56 - Nov 14 with 1583 viewsade_qpr

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 14:19 - Nov 14 by Match82

Lucky sod. I'm selling in Chicago and "realtor" is taking 5% of the purchase price.
5-6% is industry standard over here.

Ripped off at least down under you can pay only 1.5 to 2% if you bargin.

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 22:51 - Nov 14 with 1565 viewsade_qpr

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 13:54 - Nov 14 by Neil_SI

My flat was valued 10% more than what we paid.

If you're in a position to negotiate, you have to make the most of it. As it was a private deal, I managed to knock 10% off the valuation and ensure that the price we agreed upon was fixed for a period of time, so long as we completed in that time frame.

In addition, we also agreed that the flat would not be put on the open market in that period either, which ensured we couldn't be gazumped by someone else at the last minute.

So theoretically we made money the moment we completed. That included the 10% we'd knocked off of the original valuation, plus the house market rises for the past 12 months and the time it took to complete. And then, we also timed this around the changes to the stamp duty charges, which favoured us and saved us some money. At the same time, those changes also meant the threshold valuation for our flat worked more in our favour, as it was in a range that buyers would be put off by stamp duty costs if it was just above the threshold. That no longer exists, so it means we can potentially put it on the market at some point and still get more for it in the end.

If the bubble bursts or slows down, we still think we'd be in a reasonable position and it would be difficult for us to lose much in that scenario given the effort we put in beforehand to get ourselves the absolute best deal we could in the circumstances. Of course, we've only just bought, so we don't have any intention of selling for some time, but we do have a pathway and a plan for renovation that would substantially increase the value of the property. Having taken a lot of advice, we can extend the flat a small amount and have been told that would add 25-35% to the current value.

Well done Neil. Your last paragraph is the key to real estate. Play the long game especially when investing (10 plus years) it will go up over time as many others have pointed out on this thread. The ability to reno or subdivide or extend are very much added bonuses too.

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 01:48 - Nov 15 with 1526 viewstimcocking

a. Useless
b. constantly lying to your face with a smile
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 09:46 - Nov 15 with 1482 viewsCiderwithRsie

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 15:56 - Nov 13 by Mytch_QPR

Hi Konk,

It'll be Nth Wales for me at some stage - walking the dog up the mountains and having a garden like Tom & Barbara in 'The Good Life'.
You only have to look at the disparity between wage inflation and house prices to know that it's going to run out of steam.
What annoys me is how the Tories keep telling us we have a strong economy with a base rate at 0.5%!!!!
No incentive for savers or financial prudence, just based around increased borrowing.

Just idly skimming through this thread, I notice that Vince Cable was saying almost exactly that in the Independent yesterday.

(Not the bit about recreating The Good Life in Wales, sadly.)
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 20:58 - Nov 15 with 1408 viewsDeano19766

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 10:51 - Nov 14 by Discodroids

Quality (especially the regular rampages)
Estate Agents (non QPR) on 23:51 - Nov 15 with 1375 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Estate Agents (non QPR) on 15:43 - Nov 13 by Mytch_QPR

In terms of the administrative hell, that'll be solicitors for you. Now that's a different subject altogether...

Tell me about it. I once waited over 3 months for a flat to complete because my solicitor was waiting for signed contracts from the seller's solicitor. He would send letters, emails, and make phone calls but refuse to go there in person even though they were on the same bloody street! Eventually I'd had enough so I walked into the selling solicitor's office. When I asked his secretary to see him I was told he wasn't in. Smelling a rat, I walked into his office and sure enough there he was. When I explained what I wanted he literally picked the contract off his desk, signed it, made a copy and handed me the original. I immediately delivered it by hand to my solicitor. All those months of waiting and yet I managed to get it over the line in under 10 minutes. And yes, I was still charged the full conveyancing fee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024