Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR apathy 11:29 - Nov 21 with 5729 viewsrunningman75

For the first time in my entire life I am not incredibly down in the dumps following a QPR defeat. I expected us to lose especially as away, north of Watford, no manager and then no striker in the starting line up. I have been going to games for years but due to finances and work commitments not made a game this season so becoming an armchair fan.

I am looking into going to either Huddersfield or Hull games or both around Christmas time but will not be knocked over in the rush for tickets.
QPR apathy on 10:18 - Nov 23 with 1624 viewsdaveB

I didn't even bother to watch the second half, it was so dull and we were showing so little ambition I found something better to do with my time and just watched the 45 seconds of highlights on sky sports news instead.
QPR apathy on 10:29 - Nov 23 with 1613 viewsadhoc_qpr

QPR apathy on 10:18 - Nov 23 by daveB

I didn't even bother to watch the second half, it was so dull and we were showing so little ambition I found something better to do with my time and just watched the 45 seconds of highlights on sky sports news instead.

Second half was much better actually, although turning off after that awful first half is very understandable!
QPR apathy on 10:34 - Nov 23 with 1601 viewsTacticalR

If all that matters is being in the Premier League (and that seems to be the outlook of the QPR board), then everything else is of little significance.

Air hostess clique

QPR apathy on 11:08 - Nov 23 with 1579 viewswestberksr

i still watched the game, but more out of curious disinterest than with any passion.

home games at the moment are a bit of a choir but due to Dad being nearly 80, in poor health and still making the effort I don't see any alternative for me!

typically once again we are at home on the last Saturday in November, so i miss the Hennessey meeting at Newbury which has put me in a bad mood before i've even got to the game!

of all the vvanky Friday, Sunday game moves why couldn't they do this one? FML!
QPR apathy on 12:58 - Nov 23 with 1554 viewsBrixtonR

I can't be bothered to be apathetic
QPR apathy on 14:18 - Nov 23 with 1529 viewsdaveB

QPR apathy on 10:29 - Nov 23 by adhoc_qpr

Second half was much better actually, although turning off after that awful first half is very understandable!

yeah heard we got better in the second half, I couldn't watch anymore though, was just so dull again and thought it was inevitable we'd lose 1-0
QPR apathy on 17:04 - Nov 23 with 1485 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Notwithstanding the vast amount of money these oafs get paid to do a job many of us dreamed about doing as children, if these useless wasters can't be remotely bothered to at least be professional, much less actually give a toss, then I make no apologies what so ever, for not bothering to watch.

Doesn't mean I don't care about the result or would like to see us win, it just means I have a myriad of better things to do then waste my valuable time and money watching millionaires continuing to make a fool of this club. Its been going on for far, far too long!

I was in London for a few days last month. Went to the Wednesday game and frankly, was a little shocked and saddened by it all. That Fernandes can't hop back to KL quick enough for my liking.

Money married with utter incompetence; been the total ruin of this club since the day Chris Wright walked in the front door as owner.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

QPR apathy on 00:33 - Nov 24 with 1426 viewsPunteR

I think before the promotion in 10/11 there seemed to be a purpose,a goal to get the club back to the top division. We got there and then we realised its not all that its cracked up to be after all. That was a downer for me.
We've lost our way ,were in a worse state than we were when we first got promoted. We keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
TF raised expectations and just hasn't delivered.
I keep looking at clubs like,Palace,Southampton,Swansea,Leicester and think why couldn't we do similar. Frustrating. We had the money but not the know how.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2015 0:42]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

QPR apathy on 04:05 - Nov 24 with 1406 viewsFDC

QPR apathy on 00:33 - Nov 24 by PunteR

I think before the promotion in 10/11 there seemed to be a purpose,a goal to get the club back to the top division. We got there and then we realised its not all that its cracked up to be after all. That was a downer for me.
We've lost our way ,were in a worse state than we were when we first got promoted. We keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
TF raised expectations and just hasn't delivered.
I keep looking at clubs like,Palace,Southampton,Swansea,Leicester and think why couldn't we do similar. Frustrating. We had the money but not the know how.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2015 0:42]

To add to this: more recently we finally started hearing how the new purpose was to restructure the club - but now that seems to have been chucked out and we're back to being told how promotion is the most important thing again. Even if that seemed like some that is likely to happen (which it doesn't really), like you say, we've been there, got burned, and come away from it in a worse state than when we started. So it's difficult to muster up much enthusiasm for anything at the moment. Sad really.
QPR apathy on 09:08 - Nov 24 with 1348 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I was watching and playing World of Warships at the same time, I was joking with my mate how boring it was.

Torping noobs was much more fun.

On saying that I'll be looking for a stream next time we are on sky even if I know we are lining up 0-5-5 again.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

QPR apathy on 09:14 - Nov 24 with 1342 viewsqprxtc

I’m done with getting annoyed with Rangers. Mainly because I have absolutely zero control over any of it, so why should I let affect my life so much. It’s taken me 38 years to work that out but I got there in the end.

They can appoint who they want as manager, I’ll go along with it. They can buy who they want and play them where they want. I’ll turn up, have a beer and a laugh and hope they win. I’ll leave all the angst and anger to others and there are plenty. I’ve been there and done it.

Beyond that I’m going to get on with my life and learn how to play the bass guitar.
QPR apathy on 23:05 - Nov 24 with 1237 viewsLblock

Apathy - the path to oblivion

I understand completely where everyone coming from and the Bungle era has been such a malaise punctuated only by Wembley and somehow staying up two seasons before. Interspersed between those two snapshots has been a chore on everything directly connected to the 90 minutes
I have to put that caveat in as I'm still very much in love with everything else that I hold dear about the good ship QPR.
I cannot feel apathetic about results or potential drop to the wasteland of football
I refuse to look upon the very future of the club with apathy
But most of all I praise the Lord, Allah, Buddah and the Great God of Hops that I'm still fit and well enough to make the games for a day out with the lads. Home and Away
We, us disparate and rag tag small army, are the lifeblood of the club and once we shrug our shoulders and slink away then that's it. Game over. I say cry God, for England, Stanley and Saint Jude!!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

QPR apathy on 23:09 - Nov 24 with 1232 viewsPunteR

QPR apathy on 23:05 - Nov 24 by Lblock

I understand completely where everyone coming from and the Bungle era has been such a malaise punctuated only by Wembley and somehow staying up two seasons before. Interspersed between those two snapshots has been a chore on everything directly connected to the 90 minutes
I have to put that caveat in as I'm still very much in love with everything else that I hold dear about the good ship QPR.
I cannot feel apathetic about results or potential drop to the wasteland of football
But most of all I praise the Lord, Allah, Buddah and the Great God of Hops that I'm still fit and well enough to make the games for a day out with the lads. Home and Away
We, us disparate and rag tag small army, are the lifeblood of the club and once we shrug our shoulders and slink away then that's it. Game over. I say cry God, for England, Stanley and Saint Jude!!!

Are we meeting for a beer then?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

QPR apathy on 23:21 - Nov 24 with 1219 viewsisawqpratwcity

QPR apathy on 23:05 - Nov 24 by Lblock

Nice Henry V-type speech (not Karl Henry, who is still, btw, a regular starter). Plays much better than welcoming "Benny's" sacking by saying he was a liar.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

QPR apathy on 18:21 - Nov 25 with 1127 viewsTGRRRSSS

I think the comments above about getting to PL then finding it wasn't all that (but there again we mostly lost before we got on the field) ring true.
Football generally has changed so much in the past 15 to 20 years and I think it's lost that bit of grit at the top end now, perfect pitches, chess like tactics and swansalona passing (I know possession isnt the big thing this season admittedly)
I think it goes beyond QPR though as many on here have stated how little they enjoy watching football other than QPR, however it's finally seeping into QPR and the general chaos that surrounds us where we've finally bored of the drama.

However it's enjoyable watching Chelsea this season...
QPR apathy on 23:27 - Nov 25 with 1040 viewsIngham

Yeah, I think we can't detect at the Club the desire to take them all ON that isn't just exciting, it is so bloody INTERESTING. It isn't just that our performances are generally boring, the mentality of the people at the Club is that they are BORES. They drone on with the same old, same old, conveying an impression of a lack of interest THEMSELVES that would be stunning if it rose to any level of intensity at all.

It is as if they refuse to be fascinated. They can't look at the opposition and say in all honesty 'these can be beaten'. There seems to be no sense that there could be any OTHER way except to go through the motions. They refuse to find QPR the impenetrable mystery that Alf Ramsey clearly found Ipswich Town in the mid-fifties, a Club where the Chairman told him on day one 'there is NO money' (not that they would borrow a certain amount and spend it all at once without ever knowing WHY), a Club that most definitely was NOT going to win the title, and even now, when the books tell us they did, must surely be wrong, because anyone who witnessed it knows that it actually was impossible. Sure, they could outperform one team, or two. But not the entire bloody league.

It was as if Ramsey had worked out that what everyone thought they knew about football was wrong.

At QPR, one thing that baffled me completely at the time, because it seemed so utterly superfluous, was when the Rs signed Dave Thomas from our rivals of that promotion season, Burnley.

They were willing to let him go for the money we were offering. But why were we offering it? And so much (for QPR). For a player who was wonderful, but surely 'overkill' for a Club like ours. We already had an excellent side that we knew would perform creditably - and superbly entertainingly - in the top flight, but it couldn't really go beyond a certain point.

I didn't really get it at the time at all. It was only later that it hit me that Gregory wasn't 'strengthening the squad', or even just signing a player of quality when he could snap him up.

He was going for the title. He thought, even then, and only a few years after we had achieved a record points low in our first season in the top flight, that all of them, all those Clubs who had been so much bigger and better than us for the entire history of the league, could be done over, no bother. There was no long term plan, perhaps, not a Shankly and Paisley long term plan, anyway, but that was unusual at any Club. But we could do the smash and grab that Ramsey did in 1963. The year before Gregory arrived at QPR.

Not the way so many chairman do nowadays. Mere talk to keep ticket sales and prices high. He just did it. Not only seeing that it COULD be done, but seeing that QPR could DO it. Alan Mullery said Gregory walked out on Fulham in the Board meeting Mullery attended himself when his sale to Spurs was announced to the other directors by Tommy Trinder. I'm not putting my money into a Club that sells its best players, he said.

Ramsey had developed his Ipswich side winning the Third, Second and then the First Divisions. No money, no stars. But he saw that, briefly, at any rate, you could put together a side that could outfox them all. At a small club, it couldn't last unless you had quite extraordinary abilities, luck and judgement. Bobby Robson took over Ipswich later, and added the ingredients the Club needed to STAY at the top - quality players - but mostly from his mate in the north east, Jackie Milburn, who furnished him with the right sort of players at the right kind of price.

Once again, Ipswich did something remarkable, because the people at the Club - or some of them - saw that it COULD be done. And presumably saw that virtually NONE of the others would either understand that it was possible, or if they did, would BOTHER to do it.

And in the same era, Clough and Taylor particularly refused to be so impressed by the big boys and the big money that they just settled for the kind of meaningless pap we see nowadays, and that is so demoralising.

Even when Clough lost Taylor, and effectively lost the extra edge Taylor's shrewd signings gave him, he had the vision to try something completely different.

Using kids, sure, but also dealing with the officials in an intelligent and constructive fashion, not the usual ranting, self-indulgent and petulant hysteria. Not simply telling them they were always right. He explained to them, from a manager's point of view, where he thought they went wrong. And LISTENED when they explained to him, from an official's point of view, where he was going wrong.

Not only did he get them on his side, as far as that could be done. He found a NEW way of disciplining his own players. Rather than backing them up when they sought to cover up their own shortcomings - especially the inability to score enough goals or defend well enough to put the game beyond the odd refereeing mistake - he let the officials punish them, and for things for which they should be punished.

Helping them to concentrate on getting things right. Rather than convincing themselves that it was everybody else's fault except their own that they got things wrong, and achieved nothing but failure.

He wasn't being nice. He was using his brain. Bill Shankly said he KNEW Clough was right to do so, and there was absolutely no point in arguing about decisions or blaming officials, because it never made any difference or did any good, but he found it difficult to do himself, perhaps simply temperamentally.

Nevertheless, it indicated in Clough a thoughtfulness about how to turn all those negatives we're so frightened of at QPR to good advantage, by seeing that when you get things wrong, you've just learned something about your potential. It isn't only achieving the good, it's overcoming the bad, and you'll never do that if you haven't the honesty to face up to it, and see just how very interesting our intriguing ability to snatch disaster out of so many supposedly promising situations, and mediocrity out of almost ANY.

By ignoring how bad we almost always are, we also ignore how bad almost all the others are. How few of the ones that are better than we are remain so for long. Their brief ascent slows, stalls, and then they're on the way down again.

Perhaps we don't have to be so much better than them at all. Maybe the art is just to be just slightly less bad. Even the era of Liverpool dominance was achieved with a team that had mastered the art of scraping by. Leeds were the same under Revie, 1-0 at home, 0-0 away suiting them. And Ramsey and Clough were certainly minimalist by temper, I think, like Bertie Mee and George Graham, especially with his first title winning side. And, of course, at a more earthy level, Harry Bassett at Wimbledon, and Graham Taylor at Watford showed what could be done by finding out if there was ANOTHER way of getting results, other than the stupid one of trying to outspend Clubs whose EARNINGS were so much greater than a small Club's EXPENDITURE.

But you do have to be interested, and you do have to care. Characteristics supporters have always possessed. And one of the most obvious dividing lines at QPR is the gulf between the supporters and everyone else. Managers do not have that commitment, but in the past, the Ramseys and George Grahams and Cloughs matched the supporters singleminded commitment to their Club with their own singleminded commitment to and interest in the GAME, and the way it ACTUALLY worked. Not the way all the losers THOUGHT it did.

Perhaps this lot really have no interest whatsoever in the game in any way that could be compared with QPR supporters' interest in their Club. And if that is so, it may explain why we keep on repeating the same mistakes, when the people who made them are the ones responsible for REPLACING a failing manager with yet another one, and an ineffectual squad, with yet another one of them.

I think we have become the paradigm of the kind of Club that the great managers understood they could beat hands down. That Gregory thought he could take with one hand behind his back. That the likes of Clough and Taylor and Ramsey and George Graham understood were empty and credulous, with belief in this and belief in that and no know-how at all, especially the know-how that told them how to deal with things WHEN THEY WERE GOING WRONG. We can't do that. Once the long, losing run begins, the descent is rapid and sweeps away even the managers that had SOME success.

We're never ready for anything. We're only every ready for easy street. When things come good, just because we said they would. Perhaps the winners are the rare ones that know that this NEVER happens, because, game by game, the outcome is always unknown.
QPR apathy on 16:19 - Nov 26 with 966 viewsTacticalR

@Ingham 'Nevertheless, it indicated in Clough a thoughtfulness about how to turn all those negatives we're so frightened of at QPR to good advantage, by seeing that when you get things wrong, you've just learned something about your potential.'

Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion
Francis Bacon, Novum Organum (1620)

I would only add that, contrary to popular myth, hindsight seems to be as rare as foresight.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 16:19]

Air hostess clique

QPR apathy on 16:53 - Nov 26 with 937 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

QPR apathy on 16:19 - Nov 26 by TacticalR

@Ingham 'Nevertheless, it indicated in Clough a thoughtfulness about how to turn all those negatives we're so frightened of at QPR to good advantage, by seeing that when you get things wrong, you've just learned something about your potential.'

Truth will sooner come out from error than from confusion
Francis Bacon, Novum Organum (1620)

I would only add that, contrary to popular myth, hindsight seems to be as rare as foresight.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 16:19]

Francis Bacon....... Has he got championship experience?
QPR apathy on 14:31 - Nov 27 with 868 viewsIngham

Nice one, TacticalR. Think Dr Johnson said second marriage was a triumph of hope over experience, but I hadn't realised 'til now that the great man was an R .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024