Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? 23:39 - Nov 24 with 6177 viewsDylanP

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:39 - Nov 27 with 874 viewspaulparker

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 01:52 - Nov 27 by NW5Hoop

OK, I'll ask the question no one seems to want to answer. How would we have paid for those signings without selling players?

It's all very well saying that if he'd signed three players, we would have been real contenders, but how would we have paid for them? We had no sugar daddy. We had no substantial matchday income. We were a selling club, reliant on buying cheap and selling high to keep solvent. In the past few years we've done the opposite of that, and that's worked out well.

Thompson was worth around 320 million at the time , if he wanted to he could have easily have given Gerry 2 million for signings,
all he wanted was the cash , he tried many times during that season and before to flog Sinton, Les, Macca to spurs and Arsenal,
instead of kicking on and actually competing we flogged everyone we could until the well ran dry , the fella couldn't of given a rats about QPR or ambition just the money in his pockets
as I said go back we were better than Spurs , Arsenal , Chelsea , Liverpool , Leeds
we could of became stronger than some of those clubs especially, spurs & Chelsea who were really in the doldrums , we had the best young coach , a great one to eleven, still could have devolved the ground or got a new one
during Thompson reign of terror , we lost Parker , Wegerle, Fenwick, Seamen, Sinton, Peacock, where did all the money go ?? it didn't go on the stadium or the youth team,
Thompson screwed the club and I cannot for the life of me get my head round any QPR fan who actually sticks up for him

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:48 - Nov 27 with 869 viewsDiscodroids

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:39 - Nov 27 by paulparker

Thompson was worth around 320 million at the time , if he wanted to he could have easily have given Gerry 2 million for signings,
all he wanted was the cash , he tried many times during that season and before to flog Sinton, Les, Macca to spurs and Arsenal,
instead of kicking on and actually competing we flogged everyone we could until the well ran dry , the fella couldn't of given a rats about QPR or ambition just the money in his pockets
as I said go back we were better than Spurs , Arsenal , Chelsea , Liverpool , Leeds
we could of became stronger than some of those clubs especially, spurs & Chelsea who were really in the doldrums , we had the best young coach , a great one to eleven, still could have devolved the ground or got a new one
during Thompson reign of terror , we lost Parker , Wegerle, Fenwick, Seamen, Sinton, Peacock, where did all the money go ?? it didn't go on the stadium or the youth team,
Thompson screwed the club and I cannot for the life of me get my head round any QPR fan who actually sticks up for him

Can you stop it PP, you keep saying what i want to say...

I would add that thompson looked like JR sebastian from' Bladerunner ' 25 going on 85.

the nosferatu fk bag.

bishop was an wonderful player for a couple of seasons, around then , it may have been his, 'Habits' that stopped him getting a move to a bigger club.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 9:52]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:54 - Nov 27 with 861 viewspaulparker

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:48 - Nov 27 by Discodroids

Can you stop it PP, you keep saying what i want to say...

I would add that thompson looked like JR sebastian from' Bladerunner ' 25 going on 85.

the nosferatu fk bag.

bishop was an wonderful player for a couple of seasons, around then , it may have been his, 'Habits' that stopped him getting a move to a bigger club.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 9:52]

He definitely had that smarmy yuppie wine bar 1980's look about him

shame he never ran into Patrick Batemen eh

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:55 - Nov 27 with 860 viewsisawqpratwcity

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:39 - Nov 27 by paulparker

A post so good I will not make any jokes about "Seamen"!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 13:04 - Nov 27 with 817 viewsCamberleyR

Sorry PP, have to pick you up on a couple of things.
Yes, players were sold that you listed (apart from Fenwick who went in 1987, before Thompson's time) but it simply is not true that no money was provided for Trevor Francis, Don Howe, Gerry and Ray Wilkins under his stewardship especially in his early days with Don Howe and Gerry.

Some of the players signed under his watch as chairman:
Andy Sinton
Kenny Sansom
David Bardsley
Jan Stejskal
Roy Wegerle (our first million pound signing)
Andy Tillson
Darren Peacock
Rufus Brevett
Clive Wilson
Olly
Gary Penrice
Dennis Bailey
Trevor Sinclair
Steve Yates
I reckon at a rough estimate that's about 7 million spent, quite a bit of money for the late 80s/early 90s plus there's the players signed and moved on quickly often for no loss;
Andy Gray
Paul Wright
Nigel Spackman
Colin Clarke.

I estimate also that of the players on that list who were subsequently sold by the club under Thompson's chairmanship plus Paul Parker who wasn't signed but was sold under his chairmanship, that about £13 million was brought in.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 13:20]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:35 - Nov 27 with 779 viewspaulparker

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 13:04 - Nov 27 by CamberleyR

Sorry PP, have to pick you up on a couple of things.
Yes, players were sold that you listed (apart from Fenwick who went in 1987, before Thompson's time) but it simply is not true that no money was provided for Trevor Francis, Don Howe, Gerry and Ray Wilkins under his stewardship especially in his early days with Don Howe and Gerry.

Some of the players signed under his watch as chairman:
Andy Sinton
Kenny Sansom
David Bardsley
Jan Stejskal
Roy Wegerle (our first million pound signing)
Andy Tillson
Darren Peacock
Rufus Brevett
Clive Wilson
Olly
Gary Penrice
Dennis Bailey
Trevor Sinclair
Steve Yates
I reckon at a rough estimate that's about 7 million spent, quite a bit of money for the late 80s/early 90s plus there's the players signed and moved on quickly often for no loss;
Andy Gray
Paul Wright
Nigel Spackman
Colin Clarke.

I estimate also that of the players on that list who were subsequently sold by the club under Thompson's chairmanship plus Paul Parker who wasn't signed but was sold under his chairmanship, that about £13 million was brought in.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 13:20]

Andy Sinton was 250k , we sold Coney for 500K on the same day
Sansom may have been a free I cant recall but he replaced mark dennis
Bardsley was 500k and was bought as a midfielder maybe to replace martin allen who was sold for 650k
Jan Stejskal was 650k, after we sold Seamen for 1.3 million
Roy Wegerle was a million yes but we had sold paul wright and nigel spackman for nearly the same amount in that season, we also sold mark stein that pre season as well
Tilson, Brevett, and peacock came in for peanuts, probably 500k
Wilson was bought in as a replacement midfielder
Sinclair was bought for 750k as we sold sinton for over 2 million
Yates was around 500k as a replacement for 2.7 million Darren peacock
Penrice, Bailey & Olly were bargain basement signings, it owed more to Gerry making them good players then good transfer business on Thompsons part

sorry mate , but Thompson never put his hand in his pocket , the only time he did was when he bought in Clarke,Gray, Spackman & Reid when we were in dire relegation trouble, he then sold on 3 of those players not 6 months after
he asset stripped the club, killed any chance of us winning anything major, got rid of one of the best coaches in his prime and made a club legend look a mug

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:49 - Nov 27 with 765 viewssuperhoopdownunder

See below - bollox
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 16:53]
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:52 - Nov 27 with 761 viewssuperhoopdownunder

They were all rubbish especially Gianni Paladini
Login to get fewer ads

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:01 - Nov 27 with 754 viewsNW5Hoop

"Thompson was worth around 320 million at the time , if he wanted to he could have easily have given Gerry 2 million for signings"

Maybe so, but why should he have? He ran the club as a business, and made sure it was within its means. If you despise Thompson so much, why would you want the club in debt to him? Also, two million for signings would have bought exactly the kind of players we were buying anyway. Transfer inflation began to escalate around 1993 - Collymore, who was mentioned upthread, cost £2m when Forest bought him from Southend. That wasn't peanuts, it was serious money. Two years later he cost Liverpool £7.5m.

With Les, QPR hung on to him a season longer than they should have if they'd wanted to maximise him as an asset. And three years earlier, Thompson turned down £3.3m for him, which would have been a colossal fee for 1992.

I don't "stick up" for Thompson, I just refuse to be dragged down this rabbit hole of insisting everything was awful under him and point out the actual facts that make the counter argument. The question at the top of this thread is not "Was Richard Thompson a perfect chairman?" - the answer to that is obviously no. The question is "Who is the best QPR chairman in the last 25 years?" Now, if we start from the premise - as I do - that every chairman, without exception, is not to be trusted and in it only for their own ends, then you have to consider these issues.
1. Under which of those chairmen were QPR most successful?
2. Under which of those chairmen were QPR most efficiently run as a business?
3. Under which of those chairmen did QPR have a clear and sensible strategy that was followed?
4. Under which of those chairmen was it most fun watching QPR?
The answer to all of those questions is Thompson. It doesn't make him a good man. It doesn't make him a hero. It doesn't mean you shouldn't despise him with every fibre of your being. But if you look at the evidence of the past 25 years and honestly think any of the others have done any better, then I truly despair.
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:02 - Nov 27 with 753 viewsDufster

Its Billy Power I tell yez...

I Say!

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:12 - Nov 27 with 749 viewsCamberleyR

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:35 - Nov 27 by paulparker

Andy Sinton was 250k , we sold Coney for 500K on the same day
Sansom may have been a free I cant recall but he replaced mark dennis
Bardsley was 500k and was bought as a midfielder maybe to replace martin allen who was sold for 650k
Jan Stejskal was 650k, after we sold Seamen for 1.3 million
Roy Wegerle was a million yes but we had sold paul wright and nigel spackman for nearly the same amount in that season, we also sold mark stein that pre season as well
Tilson, Brevett, and peacock came in for peanuts, probably 500k
Wilson was bought in as a replacement midfielder
Sinclair was bought for 750k as we sold sinton for over 2 million
Yates was around 500k as a replacement for 2.7 million Darren peacock
Penrice, Bailey & Olly were bargain basement signings, it owed more to Gerry making them good players then good transfer business on Thompsons part

sorry mate , but Thompson never put his hand in his pocket , the only time he did was when he bought in Clarke,Gray, Spackman & Reid when we were in dire relegation trouble, he then sold on 3 of those players not 6 months after
he asset stripped the club, killed any chance of us winning anything major, got rid of one of the best coaches in his prime and made a club legend look a mug

Pocketing 500k for Coney and signing Sinton the same day for half that was fantastic business I'd say.
£1.3m for Seaman and getting an experienced international who'd just played in a WC QF for half that, good business again.
Sinclair for about a quarter of what we received for Sinton. He was unproven but again I'd say, long term a good bit of business.
Noticing a pattern here? Good fees received and good replacements signed for less.

I'd beg to differ that Penrice was a bargain basement signing, he'd not long signed for Aston Villa for a million when we bought him and I'm sure they would have wanted to recoup most of their outlay. I'm sure I recall we spent about 850-900k on him. Olly and Bailey granted were about 400k for the two.

As has been stated previously with crowds of 18-20000 our matchday income wouldn't have covered staff costs at the club even in those days when players earned relative pennies compared to today. This was a different culture when running up massive losses at a football club was unheard of and most tried to turn a profit if they could.

I don't know about you but I would love us to have a net profit on transfers of roughly what we had spent over the last few years!
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 20:45]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 19:38 - Nov 27 with 731 viewsRoller

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:39 - Nov 25 by BrianMcCarthy

Fulham Park Rangers was Jim Gregory and pre-Thompson.

Fulham Park Rangers was Bulstrode
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 10:13 - Nov 28 with 679 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 19:38 - Nov 27 by Roller

Fulham Park Rangers was Bulstrode

It was Jim Gregory selling to Bullstrode.

A happy and rare event in LFW when both posters are right! Way-hey!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 14:25 - Nov 28 with 644 viewsDylanP

All of our Chairmen can be legitimately criticized for making some terrible decisions for the club.

There are only two Chairmen in the last 50 years who were not ultimately hugely unpopular with the fans; Bulstrode and Powers, and that was simply because neither lasted long enough. Actually, there were already people giving Powers a hard time on here when he was pushed out. And lets not pretend that Gregory was super-popular either. I remember huge dissatisfaction with him from the fans and people celebrating when he left.

Obviously with hindsight Gregory was the best chairman of the last 50 years, simply based on the fact that he took us from Div 3 to Div 1. Bulstrode wasn't around long enough to know how good he was and nor was BP.

After that, looking purely at outcomes, I would have to say that it goes Thompson and then Tango and Cash. I know about all the bad decisions that Thompson made and the chaos under Tango and Cash, but judging only by outcomes, the outcome of the Thompson era includes QPR as the top London club in the first year of the Premiership (an outcome we have not yet repeated) and the outcome of the Tango and Cash era was QPR back in the Premiership. Those are facts, the rest is opinion (some of it very well articulated opinion) and so, I'll have to go with the facts.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024