Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? 23:39 - Nov 24 with 6070 viewsDylanP

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 12:57 - Nov 25 with 1357 viewspaulparker

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 12:46 - Nov 25 by Clive_Anderson

Oh really? Bloody hell my memory is playing up.

Surprised Thompson shelled out a million quid for anyone looking back, but we ended up getting a million for Wegerle from Blackburn in the end I guess.

Never understood why we sold Gray five minutes after buying him. Those goals against Man Utd were unbelievable.

the Million was put aside for Paul Williams & John Humpthey all but a done deal until the very last second when it fell through, we then bought in paul wright but he was homesick and sold to Aberdeen leaving ius a striker short
we sold Gray I think for 500k, Martin Allen for 675k and spackman for 500k so he got more than his money back ,
like you I rated Gray but I think all of those players all but fell out with Trevor Francis and Thompson wanted his money back or a profit on the sale

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 13:46 - Nov 25 with 1333 viewsCiderwithRsie

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 11:12 - Nov 25 by paulparker

How can anyone vote Richard Thompson ???? we could have been title contenders if it wasn't for him, I still find myself ranting about this 22/23 years on

go back to 92, we had one of the best teams , playing some of the best football in the league , we also had the best young English coach/manager and still had a pretty decent youth set up
we were a Kenny Cunningham, Ian Bishop , Stan Collymoore signing away from I think running man utd close to the league , Gerry was forced to buy devon white (bless him)
and play Maurice doyle when things got tough
then we asset stripped and when we did that we still managed to get in a Sinclair for peanuts thanks to Gerry , who by this point would have been crest fallen at losing our best players , Thompson then wanted a yes man in and forced Gerry out and in the process make a legend in Rodney look a mug ,
we should have kicked on but didn't because he wanted the money,
also he stitched up poor Don Howe a couple of seasons before who again did a great job and again was 3 signings short of winning a cup or challenging

its says a lot that people think Bulstrode is our best chairman when he was only in charge for about a month before he curled his toes up on some tart

Yep, all of that.

Also presided over us getting relegated at the precise moment when being in the top flight became a gold mine. As you say, incredibly short-sighted in the transfer market and as a result financially crippled the club for a generation or more.

In an alternative universe, Eric Cantona was so impressed by our 4-0 tonking of Leeds that he decided to sign for us instead of the side that we had beaten 4-1 and we went on to lift the title in 1993.
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 14:16 - Nov 25 with 1308 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 08:59 - Nov 25 by stevec

Richard Thompson? He was a total disaster.

As said earlier, possibly Bulstrode, but in the end surely it has to be Bernie Ecclestone.

How the four year plan was carried out was pretty haphazard but nevertheless, after the designated four years, we got back to where I never thought I'd see this club again. We'll never know but I reckon if he'd stayed on this club would be five years into Premier League football instead of the mess we find ourselves in.

They would never have made the much-vaunted 4 year plan had it not been going so t!ts up that they had to let Amit and Ishan take over. The idea that the club wasn't doing very similar things to what we've done since they left is absurd. Big money on not great players, terrible appointments mixed with good appointments who they sacked anyway. A total mess.
Bernie had next to no interest too.

Bill Power?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 14:37]

Bare bones.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 14:27 - Nov 25 with 1296 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Chairman should be silent and almost anonymous in my opinion, like referees. You shouldn't notice the good ones.
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 14:47 - Nov 25 with 1270 viewsDylanP

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 08:41 - Nov 25 by Lblock

Cant vote... David Bulstrode not on the list!!

A man who actually listened to fans and changed his plans
Plus the way he finally left this mortal coil is the way many would choose!!!!

Bulstrode was more than 25 years ago. He was chairman 1987-88.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:04 - Nov 25 with 1252 viewswhittocksRs

This poll should have Saksena in it. I'd vote for him.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:05]
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:26 - Nov 25 with 1246 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:04 - Nov 25 by whittocksRs

This poll should have Saksena in it. I'd vote for him.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:05]

he was chief executive.
shall we have a chief executives poll?
who have we had?
Saksena
Beard
Hoos
Blackburn
Berlin
Devlin

who else?

Bare bones.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:37 - Nov 25 with 1230 viewsToast_R

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:26 - Nov 25 by Antti_Heinola

he was chief executive.
who have we had?
Saksena
Beard
Hoos
Blackburn
Berlin
Devlin

who else?

Palladini.

He reckoned he could do what Devlin was doing day to day.
Login to get fewer ads

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:49 - Nov 25 with 1223 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:37 - Nov 25 by Toast_R

Palladini.

He reckoned he could do what Devlin was doing day to day.

Christ how did I forget him?!
Mind blocked him out i assume!

Bare bones.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:59 - Nov 25 with 1214 viewswhittocksRs

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:26 - Nov 25 by Antti_Heinola

he was chief executive.
who have we had?
Saksena
Beard
Hoos
Blackburn
Berlin
Devlin

who else?

He was chairman and CEO, Amit Bhatia vice-chairman.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:59]
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:31 - Nov 25 with 1194 viewsDylanP

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 08:48 - Nov 25 by Toast_R

No Chris Wright?

You'd have to say Richard Thompson. Yes he was an orthodox tight arse, but he run the books correct and did over see QPR's best Premier League finish as top London Club. Even after the debacle of Francis's departure, he listened to the fans and brought in Ray Wilkins as the replacement which was the peoples choice, and gave him money to spend after the sale of Les. Sadly that's what started the 20 year decline.

That is probably the reason I posted the poll. People hated Thompson when I was a kid and Wright was received like a god. But the team has been in lurching from crisis to crisis ever since Thompson quit. I was only a kid back then, so its hard to know how much or the vitriol against Thompson was justified , but there was the Fulham Park Rangers debacle and the Sinclair stupidity that he clocked the blame for, etc.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:39 - Nov 25 with 1188 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:31 - Nov 25 by DylanP

That is probably the reason I posted the poll. People hated Thompson when I was a kid and Wright was received like a god. But the team has been in lurching from crisis to crisis ever since Thompson quit. I was only a kid back then, so its hard to know how much or the vitriol against Thompson was justified , but there was the Fulham Park Rangers debacle and the Sinclair stupidity that he clocked the blame for, etc.

Fulham Park Rangers was Jim Gregory and pre-Thompson.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:15 - Nov 25 with 1169 viewsQPR1882

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:31 - Nov 25 by DylanP

Can you imagine the Chelsea,Arsenal Liverpool etc etc owners putting all the best players in the club up for sale leaving players not good enough to keep them in the Premier league. Then selling the club and pocketing all the money from both the sale of the players and the sale of the club ( all the time watching your fav London team with your season ticket, not the team you own )

Thats what Thompson did and why he is hated so much.

As for the best Chairman in the last 25 years i will add 3 years to that and say Gentleman Jim
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:33 - Nov 25 with 1156 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:59 - Nov 25 by whittocksRs

He was chairman and CEO, Amit Bhatia vice-chairman.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 15:59]

you are right, i stand corrected.

Bare bones.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 21:08 - Nov 25 with 1111 viewsCamberleyR

Thompson may be hated by some but that was probably the last time we were run sensibly as a business. We didn't have loans against the ground, were debt free and usually posted a profit most if not all years he was there. His problem was maybe being a bit inflexible in regards to always balancing the books.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:59 - Nov 26 with 951 viewsNW5Hoop

You look at what the club achieved, how sensibly run it was, how good the return on player investment was, how good the players we could attract were, and you have to say Thompson, by a mile. I don't believe QPR were ever one or two players away from a title challenge (certainly not Ian Bishop or any of the names touted here, otherwise some of the actual title-challenging clubs would have bought them), but to have presided over QPR being a top five club is a remarkable achievement.

And, of course, it wasn't Thompson who got us relegated, it was Wilkins wasting the Ferdinand money, then playing himself in centre mid at a point where he had all the mobility of a static caravan.

The chairman's job is not to be popular. Or to exit the club in the way that keeps him popular. Or to throw money at managers. Or to go to the Crown and Sceptre. It is to run the club properly. Thompson did that.
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 16:38 - Nov 26 with 941 viewswhittocksRs

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:59 - Nov 26 by NW5Hoop

You look at what the club achieved, how sensibly run it was, how good the return on player investment was, how good the players we could attract were, and you have to say Thompson, by a mile. I don't believe QPR were ever one or two players away from a title challenge (certainly not Ian Bishop or any of the names touted here, otherwise some of the actual title-challenging clubs would have bought them), but to have presided over QPR being a top five club is a remarkable achievement.

And, of course, it wasn't Thompson who got us relegated, it was Wilkins wasting the Ferdinand money, then playing himself in centre mid at a point where he had all the mobility of a static caravan.

The chairman's job is not to be popular. Or to exit the club in the way that keeps him popular. Or to throw money at managers. Or to go to the Crown and Sceptre. It is to run the club properly. Thompson did that.

"The chairman's job is not to be popular. Or to exit the club in the way that keeps him popular. Or to throw money at managers. Or to go to the Crown and Sceptre."

This.
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:55 - Nov 26 with 933 viewsAntti_Heinola

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 15:59 - Nov 26 by NW5Hoop

Yes, we attracted good players, but it was more like we turned them into good players - they were virtually all players no one else wanted much, or who were getting on (Wilkns), or we had developed ourselves (Impey), or who came cheap from lower leagues (Peacock, Olly). Barker and Wegerle were two of the few who had any sort of mild cache.

Thompson acted disgracefully to get rid of a club legend and arguably the country's outstanding young coach at the time - there's really no other way to put it. And that did, I'm sorry, hasten us towards relegation.

He also completely failed to see what was happening to football in the 90s with the advent of the Premier League. He should have been anticipating the riches that were on offer. And as a 'businessman' he had no real excuse: even I was writing a dissertation on how massively football had changed since 1989 as a result of Hillsborough, Italia 90, Fever Pitch, Sky, the Premier League and Fantasy Football as early as 1995. His intransigence in not allowing Francis even meagre funds to push on to challenge, if not for the title, then certainly for 3rd, even 2nd place (as Norwich did, a club roughly the same size) was extremely damaging. And the idea that he funnelled cash back into transfers all the time is just not true. QPR were a top 5 club in spite of him - he deserves no recognition for that at all.

Furthermore, had Thompson allowed Gerry to build even a little more, the loss of Les may not have been as keenly felt as it was. The fact that Gerry's only reserve for Les was Devon White is an indictment of the way Gerry had his hands tied (as effective as Devon was!).

And if you saw us destroy Coventry, beat Shearer's Blackburn, deservedly defeat Keegan's superb Newcastle side at St James's, completely take apart Everton twice in a season, put four past Spurs and Leeds, crush Arsenal at Highbury etc etc you'd know we really were close. Maybe not to winning the thing - but we were extraordinarily close to being genuine contenders. It was a fabulous side, and Thompson's actions and greed helped kill it.

Bare bones.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 18:22 - Nov 26 with 923 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Can't they all just fvck off but leave their money........
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 18:44 - Nov 26 with 914 viewsNW5Hoop

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:55 - Nov 26 by Antti_Heinola

Yes, we attracted good players, but it was more like we turned them into good players - they were virtually all players no one else wanted much, or who were getting on (Wilkns), or we had developed ourselves (Impey), or who came cheap from lower leagues (Peacock, Olly). Barker and Wegerle were two of the few who had any sort of mild cache.

Thompson acted disgracefully to get rid of a club legend and arguably the country's outstanding young coach at the time - there's really no other way to put it. And that did, I'm sorry, hasten us towards relegation.

He also completely failed to see what was happening to football in the 90s with the advent of the Premier League. He should have been anticipating the riches that were on offer. And as a 'businessman' he had no real excuse: even I was writing a dissertation on how massively football had changed since 1989 as a result of Hillsborough, Italia 90, Fever Pitch, Sky, the Premier League and Fantasy Football as early as 1995. His intransigence in not allowing Francis even meagre funds to push on to challenge, if not for the title, then certainly for 3rd, even 2nd place (as Norwich did, a club roughly the same size) was extremely damaging. And the idea that he funnelled cash back into transfers all the time is just not true. QPR were a top 5 club in spite of him - he deserves no recognition for that at all.

Furthermore, had Thompson allowed Gerry to build even a little more, the loss of Les may not have been as keenly felt as it was. The fact that Gerry's only reserve for Les was Devon White is an indictment of the way Gerry had his hands tied (as effective as Devon was!).

And if you saw us destroy Coventry, beat Shearer's Blackburn, deservedly defeat Keegan's superb Newcastle side at St James's, completely take apart Everton twice in a season, put four past Spurs and Leeds, crush Arsenal at Highbury etc etc you'd know we really were close. Maybe not to winning the thing - but we were extraordinarily close to being genuine contenders. It was a fabulous side, and Thompson's actions and greed helped kill it.

He made some bad decisions, of course. But he made an awful lot fewer bad decisions, with less catastrophic consequences, than anyone who came after him. Football was changing rapidly at that point, but matchday revenue was still, then, the most significant part of the income stream for football clubs. The TV money was more than had come before, but it was a pittance compared to what would come later: the first TV deal was for £191m, spread over five years from 1992-1997. That's less than £40m per season, or to put it another way, when QPR sold Les, they got three times more than they got from Sky.

So he'd have had predictive powers rather more advanced than Nostradamus to have guessed how astronomically the TV rights market was going to grow. Instead, he had to base financial decisions on a maximum crowd of 22,000, paying around a tenner a game if they had season tickets, and not much more than that if they were turning up on the day. Where was the money to build this title-challenging team to come from? To keep QPR on an even keel, I don't see that there was any choice but to sell players. And that meant selling the players who were most desirable. To have built a team capable of a sustained challenge over several seasons at the top of the table, Thompson would have had to put the club so far in hock we'd have struggled to come back. The next chairman tried doing that, at the next level down, and we all know how that ended.

In 1992/93, we weren't setting a target that we could realistically then hope to better. We were punching way above our weight, just as the era when that was possible was coming to an end. The clubs who established themselves as the leaders of the pack in the following years all had one of two things (or sometimes both): substantial "sugar daddy" financing from someone who didn't care about losing money, or large matchday revenues. We had neither. Which is why, like all the other smaller clubs mentioned in this thread and some who aren't — Norwich, Ipswich, Blackburn and so on — we soon disappeared whence we came, after our moment of glory.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 1:45]
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 19:02 - Nov 26 with 908 viewsjohncharles

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 18:44 - Nov 26 by NW5Hoop

He made some bad decisions, of course. But he made an awful lot fewer bad decisions, with less catastrophic consequences, than anyone who came after him. Football was changing rapidly at that point, but matchday revenue was still, then, the most significant part of the income stream for football clubs. The TV money was more than had come before, but it was a pittance compared to what would come later: the first TV deal was for £191m, spread over five years from 1992-1997. That's less than £40m per season, or to put it another way, when QPR sold Les, they got three times more than they got from Sky.

So he'd have had predictive powers rather more advanced than Nostradamus to have guessed how astronomically the TV rights market was going to grow. Instead, he had to base financial decisions on a maximum crowd of 22,000, paying around a tenner a game if they had season tickets, and not much more than that if they were turning up on the day. Where was the money to build this title-challenging team to come from? To keep QPR on an even keel, I don't see that there was any choice but to sell players. And that meant selling the players who were most desirable. To have built a team capable of a sustained challenge over several seasons at the top of the table, Thompson would have had to put the club so far in hock we'd have struggled to come back. The next chairman tried doing that, at the next level down, and we all know how that ended.

In 1992/93, we weren't setting a target that we could realistically then hope to better. We were punching way above our weight, just as the era when that was possible was coming to an end. The clubs who established themselves as the leaders of the pack in the following years all had one of two things (or sometimes both): substantial "sugar daddy" financing from someone who didn't care about losing money, or large matchday revenues. We had neither. Which is why, like all the other smaller clubs mentioned in this thread and some who aren't — Norwich, Ipswich, Blackburn and so on — we soon disappeared whence we came, after our moment of glory.
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 1:45]

Thompson was indeed a good businessman. Made a lot of money out of QPR and then fcuked off.

Strong and stable my arse.

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 19:39 - Nov 26 with 889 viewspaulparker

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 17:55 - Nov 26 by Antti_Heinola

blimey that's 2 posts ive agreed with you now Antti , well summed up

to NW5hoop , go back and check the league that year in 92 we were better than Arsenal,Spurs,Chelsea,Liverpool,Leeds,(champions the year before btw) and Blackburn who had really spent some dough
Villa were the main challengers that year and if you compare our eleven to there's we were better , its just that they had a better squad, Im not saying we would have won the league but 3 signings would have made us strong challengers
Thompson didn't , he stripped us off our best players undermined Gerry and fcuked us over when we were on the verge of actually winning something
anyone who thinks Thompson was a good chairman needs there head examining

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 20:44 - Nov 26 with 868 viewsDufster

I say..Billy Power!

His tenure may have been shorter than it should, but he is the only Chairman actually born in the Bush (White City Estate) and to this day a life long fan...

More importantly he put his own personal money into the club without ever having an expectation of it being paid back just wanted the club to move forward!

Tango and Cash and Thompson...no thanks!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 20:49]

I Say!

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 01:52 - Nov 27 with 810 viewsNW5Hoop

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 19:39 - Nov 26 by paulparker

blimey that's 2 posts ive agreed with you now Antti , well summed up

to NW5hoop , go back and check the league that year in 92 we were better than Arsenal,Spurs,Chelsea,Liverpool,Leeds,(champions the year before btw) and Blackburn who had really spent some dough
Villa were the main challengers that year and if you compare our eleven to there's we were better , its just that they had a better squad, Im not saying we would have won the league but 3 signings would have made us strong challengers
Thompson didn't , he stripped us off our best players undermined Gerry and fcuked us over when we were on the verge of actually winning something
anyone who thinks Thompson was a good chairman needs there head examining

OK, I'll ask the question no one seems to want to answer. How would we have paid for those signings without selling players?

It's all very well saying that if he'd signed three players, we would have been real contenders, but how would we have paid for them? We had no sugar daddy. We had no substantial matchday income. We were a selling club, reliant on buying cheap and selling high to keep solvent. In the past few years we've done the opposite of that, and that's worked out well.
Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 09:25 - Nov 27 with 777 viewsDufster

Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years? on 20:44 - Nov 26 by Dufster

I say..Billy Power!

His tenure may have been shorter than it should, but he is the only Chairman actually born in the Bush (White City Estate) and to this day a life long fan...

More importantly he put his own personal money into the club without ever having an expectation of it being paid back just wanted the club to move forward!

Tango and Cash and Thompson...no thanks!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 20:49]

I was told by someone close to the board at the time that Paladini mortgaged his house to raise money to buy into QPR and eventually got his money back and plenty more and that Billy Power donated money to the club when it was on its arse and needed it most to pay wages without ever expecting to get it back!

Don't think any of the others with perhaps the exception of TF would have done the same!
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 9:30]

I Say!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024