Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
10 years since George Best died 01:38 - Nov 26 with 3347 viewsJAPRANGERS

Perhaps the greatest player of all time??

Would that he was around now and playing for us.
10 years since George Best died on 04:08 - Nov 26 with 3331 viewsisawqpratwcity

One for the older R's (and Konk)...

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

10 years since George Best died on 08:36 - Nov 26 with 3287 viewsDiscodroids

Handsome Devil .

That addictive personality...its a real bastard.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

10 years since George Best died on 08:44 - Nov 26 with 3282 viewsjohncharles

It would have been if Best had played for Rangers but we did have Stan Bowles so let's not be greedy

Strong and stable my arse.

10 years since George Best died on 08:55 - Nov 26 with 3271 viewsMonahoop

Hard to believe he has been dead for 10 years. Best was indeed one the greatest postwar players and his style and approach to the game in the 60's and early 70's was well ahead of its time. Would he fit into into todays game? His maverick, carefree approach would have him shot down in 5 minutes now, but his footballing ability would have fitted in nicely I think.

All said and done, I always preferred Stan.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

10 years since George Best died on 09:30 - Nov 26 with 3253 viewsA40Bosh

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

10 years since George Best died on 10:04 - Nov 26 with 3228 viewsbosh67

RIP George.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

10 years since George Best died on 10:14 - Nov 26 with 3221 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Could have been the greatest player of all time but wasn't happy enough or settled enough to achieve it, the poor man.

It used to frustrate me when I'd see him pretend that he'd had an enjoyable and fulfilling life and that it was all by design. The truth was much sadder, he had insecurities and addictions that made his life and the lives of those he loved stressful and uncomfortable. Naturally, he rarely spoke about that aspect of his life, it can't have been easy.

Had he been born thirty years later, he would have been born into a world where medical help and support are the norm. His life could have been so different.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

10 years since George Best died on 19:57 - Nov 26 with 3115 viewsMonahoop

10 years since George Best died on 10:14 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Could have been the greatest player of all time but wasn't happy enough or settled enough to achieve it, the poor man.

It used to frustrate me when I'd see him pretend that he'd had an enjoyable and fulfilling life and that it was all by design. The truth was much sadder, he had insecurities and addictions that made his life and the lives of those he loved stressful and uncomfortable. Naturally, he rarely spoke about that aspect of his life, it can't have been easy.

Had he been born thirty years later, he would have been born into a world where medical help and support are the norm. His life could have been so different.

Didn't he sign for Cork at sometime Brian? A massive crowd turned up to see him and the man never showed up! But he was George Best after all, a close second to god in Ireland, so all was forgiven. You're right, a very unhappy person with lots of demons eating away at him, a bit of an Elvis character really, media controlled and with few real friends. Very sad.

Login to get fewer ads

10 years since George Best died on 20:14 - Nov 26 with 3108 viewsHooparoo

My godfather went to school with him and he said that George was one of the nicest lads you'd ever want to meet. What a shame he couldn't ever control his demons.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

10 years since George Best died on 23:32 - Nov 26 with 3051 viewsBrianMcCarthy

10 years since George Best died on 19:57 - Nov 26 by Monahoop

Didn't he sign for Cork at sometime Brian? A massive crowd turned up to see him and the man never showed up! But he was George Best after all, a close second to god in Ireland, so all was forgiven. You're right, a very unhappy person with lots of demons eating away at him, a bit of an Elvis character really, media controlled and with few real friends. Very sad.

Not quite true, though you have the bones of it, Mona.

The story is well recorded down here, in print and in word.

He did sign for Cork Celtic, who are now disbanded. In anticipation of Best's arrival the crowd went from 300 to 6,000. Unfortunately, as a local journalist put it, Best's weight had put on similar figures.

He did play but was lethargic and the crowd were muttering before the final whistle. Celtic lost. Cork people are an unforgiving crowd and Best was under suspicion straight away. My Grand-Uncle was a regular in those days and told me that while they were having a few post-match pints of Murphys in Mok's (and if you're ever in Cork you have to try both the stout and the pub) rumours spread that deadly rivals Cork Hibs were signing Rodney Marsh. Thin, very thin, Rodney Marsh.

The mood worsened when Best failed to show for the next game, away to Finn Harps in Donegal. Best, like Marsh, commuted from England. Some blamed his non-show on logistical problems, others had the Directors' ear and knew better. Marsh had played well. Bobby Charlton, meanwhile, was coming to play for Waterford, the best team in the Country. He wouldn't be overweight.

The next game was at home and Best was days late for pre-match training. He showed up the day before. The board hadn't helped matters by being unclear about whether this was part of his arrangement or not. Regardless, the Celtic players had decided to do something. Without him they had had their best win of the season the weekend before. They were thick stubborn of this lad coming in, getting the glory, not doing a whole pile and, allegedly, muttering about their facilities. Out of their own pockets they painted the shower block. And they fixed the zinc roof. The story around the City was that Best had said he got a shower only because it rained. He hadn't said anything of the sort. In fact, he'd been quite gracious, as was his way. But they wouldn't have it said. so, while he was on £IR1,000.00 per game they were paying for paint and zinc.

9,000 showed up. So did Best, but he was on the edge of the action again. The crowd muttered some more, especially when Cork got a peno and he didn't take it. He left it to the regular penalty taker. Considering that the penalty taker was Bobby Tambling and that he had pre-dated him at Cork you might have thought that this was a noble gesture. The Cork crowd, apparently debated this long and hard and were unconvinced. Tambling had missed, which hadn't helped.

The next game was away to Shelbourne in Dublin. By all accounts, Shels even chipped in for Best's flight. Again, Best was ineffectual and Cork lost.

The next game was at home to Bobby Charlton's new club, Waterford United. Charlton went on to play for a while in Ireland but that week had the good grace at least to give a few days' notice of his unavailability. The Cork board, meanwhile, waited at Cork Airport for Best and (I think, Mona, this might be the story you heard) they left without him. He never showed, and he would never show again. Signs were erected on all approaches to the Turner's Cross Stadium so that the fair-weather fans could turn back if they wished. No-one would take their money under false pretences.

It was 1975. Only seven years after Georgie had conquered Europe and become the Fifth Beatle. He was not yet thirty.

All this while, Best was not being a dosser, he was an addict. An addiction born of a dreadful insecurity that he would never conquer. I have never heard this tale told comically in Cork. Recollections tend to be rueful at best, regretful at worst. The poor man. May he rest in peace.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 23:57]

10 years since George Best died on 23:44 - Nov 26 with 3038 viewsJAPRANGERS

10 years since George Best died on 23:32 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

He did sign for Cork Celtic, who are now disbanded. In anticipation of Best's arrival the crowd went from 300 to 6,000. Unfortunately, as a local journalist put it, Best's weight had put on similar figures.

He did play but was lethargic and the crowd were muttering before the final whistle. Celtic lost. Cork people are an unforgiving crowd and Best was under suspicion straight away. My Grand-Uncle was a regular in those days and told me that while they were having a few post-match pints of Murphys in Mok's (and if you're ever in Cork you have to try both the stout and the pub) rumours spread that deadly rivals Cork Hibs were signing Rodney Marsh. Thin, very thin, Rodney Marsh.

The mood worsened when Best failed to show for the next game, away to Finn Harps in Donegal. Best, like Marsh, commuted from England. Some blamed his non-show on logistical problems, others had the Directors' ear and knew better. Marsh had played well. Bobby Charlton, meanwhile, was coming to play for Waterford, the best team in the Country. He wouldn't be overweight.

The next game was at home and Best was days late for pre-match training. He showed up the day before. The board hadn't helped matters by being unclear about whether this was part of his arrangement or not. Regardless, the Celtic players had decided to do something. Without him they had had their best win of the season the weekend before. They were thick stubborn of this lad coming in, getting the glory, not doing a whole pile and, allegedly, muttering about their facilities. Out of their own pockets they painted the shower block. And they fixed the zinc roof. The story around the City was that Best had said he got a shower only because it rained. He hadn't said anything of the sort. In fact, he'd been quite gracious, as was his way. But they wouldn't have it said. so, while he was on £IR1,000.00 per game they were paying for paint and zinc.

9,000 showed up. So did Best, but he was on the edge of the action again. The crowd muttered some more, especially when Cork got a peno and he didn't take it. He left it to the regular penalty taker. Considering that the penalty taker was Bobby Tambling and that he had pre-dated him at Cork you might have thought that this was a noble gesture. The Cork crowd, apparently debated this long and hard and were unconvinced. Tambling had missed, which hadn't helped.

The next game was away to Shelbourne in Dublin. By all accounts, Shels even chipped in for Best's flight. Again, Best was ineffectual and Cork lost.

The next game was at home to Bobby Charlton's new club, Waterford United. Charlton went on to play for a while in Ireland but that week had the good grace at least to give a few days' notice of his unavailability. The Cork board, meanwhile, waited at Cork Airport for Best and (I think, Mona, this might be the story you heard) they left without him. He never showed, and he would never show again. Signs were erected on all approaches to the Turner's Cross Stadium so that the fair-weather fans could turn back if they wished. No-one would take their money under false pretences.

It was 1975. Only seven years after Georgie had conquered Europe and become the Fifth Beatle. He was not yet thirty.

All this while, Best was not being a dosser, he was an addict. An addiction born of a dreadful insecurity that he would never conquer. I have never heard this tale told comically in Cork. Recollections tend to be rueful at best, regretful at worst. The poor man. May he rest in peace.

Thanks for your long interesting post. I didn't know this.
10 years since George Best died on 07:53 - Nov 27 with 2991 viewsElHoop

George played his last competitive game for Man Utd on 1/1/74 at Loftus Road- a game we won 3-0 with Stan getting two. Best then fell out with Tommy Docherty and never played again. The same Tommy Docherty who 5 years later would fall out with Stan and sell him to Forest.
10 years since George Best died on 08:32 - Nov 27 with 2973 viewsisawqpratwcity

10 years since George Best died on 07:53 - Nov 27 by ElHoop

George played his last competitive game for Man Utd on 1/1/74 at Loftus Road- a game we won 3-0 with Stan getting two. Best then fell out with Tommy Docherty and never played again. The same Tommy Docherty who 5 years later would fall out with Stan and sell him to Forest.

I remember Tommy Docherty from his first time at Loftus Road. No getting past it, he was a git.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

10 years since George Best died on 09:01 - Nov 27 with 2959 viewsElHoop

10 years since George Best died on 08:32 - Nov 27 by isawqpratwcity

I remember Tommy Docherty from his first time at Loftus Road. No getting past it, he was a git.

Pretty hopeless wasn't he. He seemed OK with young players but he always seemed to be falling out with with older pros or wayward types. Amazing to think that United went down in that 73/74 season - couldn't happen now. No wonder Best fell apart - he was probably expected to carry them on his own and he was in no state to do that.
10 years since George Best died on 09:44 - Nov 27 with 2950 viewsjohncharles

10 years since George Best died on 23:32 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

Thanks for that Brian. I've heard bits and pieces of George's time in Ireland, most of it third and fourth hand made up nonsense. Good to get the full story from a source I can trust.

Strong and stable my arse.

10 years since George Best died on 11:43 - Nov 27 with 2930 viewsBrianMcCarthy

10 years since George Best died on 09:44 - Nov 27 by johncharles

Thanks for that Brian. I've heard bits and pieces of George's time in Ireland, most of it third and fourth hand made up nonsense. Good to get the full story from a source I can trust.

No problem at all, JC.

10 years since George Best died on 14:56 - Nov 27 with 2904 viewsMonahoop

10 years since George Best died on 11:43 - Nov 27 by BrianMcCarthy

No problem at all, JC.

Thanks for putting the record straight Brian. A great but frustrating story. I remember seeing something on TG4 a few years back, so my memory on the story was a bit sketchy [ as was my grasp of the Irish language ].

Stories of great players like Best not putting in a shift or bothering with life generally seem to ring true with a few of our players in recent years.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024