Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smithies 09:09 - Nov 26 with 4626 viewsMvpeter

Might it be time for him. Promotions not on, relegation's not likely and Green will be gone next year so why not start using Smithies?

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Smithies on 09:12 - Nov 26 with 3613 viewsrunningman75

I think he was the 3rd choice keeper. We needed a second keeper but thought we wanted someone from Southend. Will be interesting what Warnock or new manager decides but Green seems undroppable due to past reputation.
Smithies on 09:12 - Nov 26 with 3613 viewskingsburyR

I agree.

The way he watched that cross come over his head last Friday was enough for me.

Blood Smithies now.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Smithies on 09:13 - Nov 26 with 3611 viewsDiscodroids

I Can sense Bluce on my shoulder , thus it is with heavy heart that i agree with my chum Peter. I feel that may well be the view of the new manager as well.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Smithies on 09:28 - Nov 26 with 3577 viewsadhoc_qpr

Promotion and relegation are both still possible, but i'd play Smithies.

I'd rather have Smithies, Hall, Chery, Yun, Luongo, Furlong (can't be worse than Perch) et al in the team now gaining an understanding and developing into a real team. Ditch the loanees and those whose contracts are running down.

But i also understand the next manager will probably want to pick a more experienced team to ensure they get off to a good start.
Smithies on 09:46 - Nov 26 with 3545 viewsNorthernr

I'd have been picking him all season anyway but I've never been Green's biggest fan and I've always quite rated Smithies from when he was a young lad so I'm biased.

For me it's not even about planning for the future or whether anything is at stake this season, it's a simple football decision. Smithies is every bit as good a shot stopper as Green - shot stopping is the bare minimum requirement for a goalkeeper. They both have issues coming off their line and commanding the area. Smithies, however, is so far ahead of Green in distribution of the ball you can't overlook it. In his brief appearances this season his throwing - choices, distance, accuracy, pace of the ball - has been so far ahead of Green it's embarrassing really. He can not only kick it far further, but almost more accurately too. When he came on as a sub against Forest his first goal kick sailed 30 yards beyond everybody, because they're used to Green barely reaching the halfway line.

There are other, more personal, reasons this will be a good idea too. Smithies is Huddersfield born, Huddersfield fan, Huddersfield resident, Huddersfield player since he was at school. He's never known anything other than Huddersfield. He's decided to make the first move of his career and he trusted in what we told him in the summer. He's moved to London just as his Mrs has kicked out their first child and now he finds himself stuck here on our bench. He'll be pissd off inwardly, if not outwardly, I suspect.

while of course I accept he probably got a significant pay rise to come here, we have once again this summer brought a whole load of players in and discarded them. I noticed the Peterborough chairman the other week Tweeting about Gladwin and how surprised he was to see him back at Swindon. Others clubs, other players, will have seen us bring in Luongo, Gladwin, Polter, Chery and Smithies and make all our promises about being a changed club only to then completely discard all of them. That will only denigrate our already dreadful reputation in football circles further.

Personally I'd have them all (possibly apart from Polter) in the fcking team and leave them there.
Smithies on 09:52 - Nov 26 with 3530 viewsadhoc_qpr

Smithies on 09:46 - Nov 26 by Northernr

I'd have been picking him all season anyway but I've never been Green's biggest fan and I've always quite rated Smithies from when he was a young lad so I'm biased.

For me it's not even about planning for the future or whether anything is at stake this season, it's a simple football decision. Smithies is every bit as good a shot stopper as Green - shot stopping is the bare minimum requirement for a goalkeeper. They both have issues coming off their line and commanding the area. Smithies, however, is so far ahead of Green in distribution of the ball you can't overlook it. In his brief appearances this season his throwing - choices, distance, accuracy, pace of the ball - has been so far ahead of Green it's embarrassing really. He can not only kick it far further, but almost more accurately too. When he came on as a sub against Forest his first goal kick sailed 30 yards beyond everybody, because they're used to Green barely reaching the halfway line.

There are other, more personal, reasons this will be a good idea too. Smithies is Huddersfield born, Huddersfield fan, Huddersfield resident, Huddersfield player since he was at school. He's never known anything other than Huddersfield. He's decided to make the first move of his career and he trusted in what we told him in the summer. He's moved to London just as his Mrs has kicked out their first child and now he finds himself stuck here on our bench. He'll be pissd off inwardly, if not outwardly, I suspect.

while of course I accept he probably got a significant pay rise to come here, we have once again this summer brought a whole load of players in and discarded them. I noticed the Peterborough chairman the other week Tweeting about Gladwin and how surprised he was to see him back at Swindon. Others clubs, other players, will have seen us bring in Luongo, Gladwin, Polter, Chery and Smithies and make all our promises about being a changed club only to then completely discard all of them. That will only denigrate our already dreadful reputation in football circles further.

Personally I'd have them all (possibly apart from Polter) in the fcking team and leave them there.

Agree with all of that.

Although is poor Poulter that bad?

He looked useful enough in his first couple of 10 minute cameo - big, physical, committed and slightly mad (although clumsy with the ball).

He can't have played more than 45 mins in the league and a couple of cup games. I understand him being behind Austin and JET, but behind Phillips too?
Smithies on 09:55 - Nov 26 with 3518 viewssuperhoopdownunder

In the January transfer window given the choice I would move the remaining high paid players on:-
Traore
Fer
Phillips
Green
Sandro
Austin
Smithies on 10:40 - Nov 26 with 3460 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies on 09:55 - Nov 26 by superhoopdownunder

In the January transfer window given the choice I would move the remaining high paid players on:-
Traore
Fer
Phillips
Green
Sandro
Austin

Doubt Phillips and Traore are on enormous wages tbh.
Green will have taken a big pay cut too and is going next summer anyway.
Good luck getting anyone to take Sandro or Traore or possibly Fer with their injury worries.

Brilliant post by Clive above - totally agree with it. Really hope whoever comes in uses our new players a bit better.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Smithies on 10:45 - Nov 26 with 3442 viewsWilloW4

Absolutely spot on.
Smithies on 12:09 - Nov 26 with 3347 viewsJigsore

Yes. 2/3rds of a season to get used to the team, to iron out kinks in his game, to settle any jangling nerves.

Green is a consumate professional so while he won't like it i'm sure he'll accept it.

Downsides: he might make an error and we will finish 12th instead of 11th

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Smithies on 12:11 - Nov 26 with 3341 viewssimmo

He's already better than Green. Should have been playing all season.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies on 12:15 - Nov 26 with 3333 viewsRBlock

Smithies on 09:52 - Nov 26 by adhoc_qpr

Agree with all of that.

Although is poor Poulter that bad?

He looked useful enough in his first couple of 10 minute cameo - big, physical, committed and slightly mad (although clumsy with the ball).

He can't have played more than 45 mins in the league and a couple of cup games. I understand him being behind Austin and JET, but behind Phillips too?

I don't think Polter is that bad. From what I have seen of him he is hardworking, aggresive, elbowy, and looks horrible to defend against. Strong in the air and can hold the ball up really well. His finishing seems to be lacking but that will come with game time and confidence.
Smithies on 12:18 - Nov 26 with 3323 viewsClive_Anderson

I never understood the logic of buying players just to let them rot away in the reserves or on the bench. Players should only be bought with a view to playing in the first team IMO. None of this buying players for "backup" crap.

By the way whatever happened to Coll Donaldson? Another player we bought with absolutely no intention of playing.
Smithies on 12:19 - Nov 26 with 3318 viewsNorthernr

Smithies on 12:18 - Nov 26 by Clive_Anderson

I never understood the logic of buying players just to let them rot away in the reserves or on the bench. Players should only be bought with a view to playing in the first team IMO. None of this buying players for "backup" crap.

By the way whatever happened to Coll Donaldson? Another player we bought with absolutely no intention of playing.

Went to Dundee Utd on a free in the summer.
Smithies on 12:23 - Nov 26 with 3303 viewspaulparker

I for one cannot wait to see the back of Green, Sandro, Phillips , Fer, Toszer , Angella,
Green is and always will be a liability, how he was ever Englands number 1 is a mystery to me ,
we should of got rid when we signed Mcarthey but didn't and now history is repeating itself with smithies

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Smithies on 12:37 - Nov 26 with 3272 viewsadhoc_qpr

Smithies on 12:23 - Nov 26 by paulparker

I for one cannot wait to see the back of Green, Sandro, Phillips , Fer, Toszer , Angella,
Green is and always will be a liability, how he was ever Englands number 1 is a mystery to me ,
we should of got rid when we signed Mcarthey but didn't and now history is repeating itself with smithies

I definitely haven't written off Angella - and we do at least have the option to buy him.

Let's give him 5 games in a row in a settled defence before we send him packing. He's got good pedigree, is only 26 and decent centre backs are hard to come by.

Same for Toszer to a lesser extent - he's been largely poor, but I don't think we've been playing to his strengths either.
Smithies on 12:49 - Nov 26 with 3227 viewsClive_Anderson

Smithies on 12:19 - Nov 26 by Northernr

Went to Dundee Utd on a free in the summer.

You have to wonder what exactly was the point in signing him the first place.
Smithies on 13:03 - Nov 26 with 3201 viewsMvpeter

Completely this. By far my biggest gripe.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Smithies on 13:21 - Nov 26 with 3163 viewsBluce_Ree

I agree. Play Smithies for a while. Give him 5-10 games and then put Green back in because Smithies won't be the answer.

I'm more than happy for whatever hapless manager we get to experiment. Season's f**ked anyway.

As for Smithies' distribution. Great. Green's clearly under orders to punt that ball up field as soon as he gets it anyway. Smithies can be the distribution master while he's failing to save the sort of shots Green eats for breakfast.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Smithies on 13:52 - Nov 26 with 3113 viewsAntti_Heinola

Smithies on 13:21 - Nov 26 by Bluce_Ree

I agree. Play Smithies for a while. Give him 5-10 games and then put Green back in because Smithies won't be the answer.

I'm more than happy for whatever hapless manager we get to experiment. Season's f**ked anyway.

As for Smithies' distribution. Great. Green's clearly under orders to punt that ball up field as soon as he gets it anyway. Smithies can be the distribution master while he's failing to save the sort of shots Green eats for breakfast.

Green eats for breakfast...
just after he's wiped the lint off them having already dropped them on the floor.

Bare bones.

Smithies on 13:58 - Nov 26 with 3092 viewssimmo

Smithies on 13:52 - Nov 26 by Antti_Heinola

Green eats for breakfast...
just after he's wiped the lint off them having already dropped them on the floor.

Whilst lifting his finger up to let his wife know he's had his 'one'.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Smithies on 14:44 - Nov 26 with 3020 viewsWilloW4

Smithies on 13:21 - Nov 26 by Bluce_Ree

Your fixation with rob green is incredible...when I was a young teen I had a poster on my wall of farrah fawcet and Bridget Bardot .. Do you have a poster of rob green above your bed ?.
Smithies on 14:53 - Nov 26 with 3009 viewsexiled_dictator

Smithies on 10:40 - Nov 26 by Antti_Heinola

Doubt Phillips and Traore are on enormous wages tbh.
Green will have taken a big pay cut too and is going next summer anyway.
Good luck getting anyone to take Sandro or Traore or possibly Fer with their injury worries.

Brilliant post by Clive above - totally agree with it. Really hope whoever comes in uses our new players a bit better.

both phillips and trader were on 40k a week in the premiership, with relegation clauses.
i don't have the new figures, but it will be less.
green earns less than the 50k we were paying him when he joined from why. i believe it's now 35k.
we matched sandro's 45k spurs salary when he joined, with a relegation clause added
sandro cost us a small fortune, and with his medical record and visa issues, we will be lucky if we can pay for him to leave. i mean, who will have him?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Smithies on 14:59 - Nov 26 with 2997 viewsJonDoeman

Smithies had the chance to take it. And he looked as nervous as a kitten . Not an admirable trait in a keeper. I fear when this does happen, we'll just be replacing one dodgepot with another!
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 14:59]

It Is What It Is !!

Smithies on 15:21 - Nov 26 with 2955 viewsBluce_Ree

Smithies on 14:44 - Nov 26 by WilloW4

Your fixation with rob green is incredible...when I was a young teen I had a poster on my wall of farrah fawcet and Bridget Bardot .. Do you have a poster of rob green above your bed ?.

No.

It's more of a full scale life-like replica.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024