Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation 19:32 - Nov 26 with 5777 viewsChinajohn

Little Ronnie and Reggie are after a games console for Christmas and I have no idea which one to go for. The boys are 6 and 8 and are really into Minecraft, they want to be able to play against their mates . Which is better and easier to use? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:39 - Nov 26 with 4235 viewsPunteR

Cant go wrong with either. It depends what console their mates have .

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:48 - Nov 26 with 4221 viewsMancR

As a primary school teacher I hate what these things have done to children , especially boys. They can become completely obsessed with gaming and if not carefully controlled ( which causes its own issues) can certainly affect daily family life.
In my class I'm aware of GTA and cod being played late into the night by several boys and who knows where this might lead to other than yawning in the classroom.
Consoles are amazing baby sitters but at a cost.
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:59 - Nov 26 with 4204 viewsE17hoop

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:48 - Nov 26 by MancR

As a primary school teacher I hate what these things have done to children , especially boys. They can become completely obsessed with gaming and if not carefully controlled ( which causes its own issues) can certainly affect daily family life.
In my class I'm aware of GTA and cod being played late into the night by several boys and who knows where this might lead to other than yawning in the classroom.

Easy enough to set a daily time limit which is what my 2 have had - 90 mins max daily and if they want any more, including at weekends, they have to earn it.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:02 - Nov 26 with 4201 viewsPunteR

I agree with you there Manc.
We try and keep our kids gaming controlled,but its not easy.
They're definitely not allowed to play late at night or first thing in the morning.
The funny thing is my kids tell me I'm on LFW all the time.

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:03 - Nov 26 with 4194 viewsDWQPR

Get them a Binatone console where they can play such classics as tennis, squash and football. Easy to master, just twiddle the knob up and down and try and hit the white dot as it moves round the black screen. Was good enough for me when I was a kid!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:03 - Nov 26 with 4192 viewspaesanu

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:39 - Nov 26 by PunteR

Cant go wrong with either. It depends what console their mates have .

This.

See who the boys they get along with the most and buy accordingly. Both consoles do what they're supposed to do.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:04 - Nov 26 with 4188 viewspaesanu

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:59 - Nov 26 by E17hoop

Easy enough to set a daily time limit which is what my 2 have had - 90 mins max daily and if they want any more, including at weekends, they have to earn it.

But that's anything though right? Games, booze, drugs, sex. Moderation.

I blame the parents.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:26 - Nov 26 with 4143 viewskingsburyR

Friggin amazing post.

I was a gamer when I was young (40+ now) using spectrums and thru early nintendos etc.

But gaming today is on a different level. It's not "playing" anymore.....it's role playing. Boys mainly are being sucked into this insular world.

I drive past numerous parks every day...where are all the kids? Where are all the boys chasing footballs? Hop scotch...... Pom Pom (well that's what we called it).......GONE.

Worrying

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Login to get fewer ads

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:28 - Nov 26 with 4144 viewsbaz_qpr

To answer the OP PS4, better graphically and the games run better
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:40 - Nov 26 with 4120 viewsbacardiinbrissie

To answer the orig post, see what consoles their mates are using and think about that. Bear in mind that PS4 will not match up with the older PS3 and i assume Xbox is the same. We've alway gone for Playstations due to ease of use, games and history. I believe the xbox 1 is a decent consul to and have only played a few demos on it.

We have a PS3 & PS4 in our house. The PS4 was paid for by my older son using his own pocket money he earned. The PS3 was at the time the latest and an Xmas pressie for the youngest (11). They have limited hours daily and at weekends and the deal is at weekend they can only use them after we've been out for the day. During the week, its homework, dinner then limited use before or after sport, music or a family film. It really is very easy to let them get sucked in as the previous posts say.

Also remember that a large percentage of games are on-line. This eats into your data allowance on what-ever package you have. During summer hols whn me and the misus ar both at work the kids can get through 200GB easily if not attended.

Also with the PS4, when you buy the consul & games package you are not automatically allowed to use the Sony servers. This means to aaccess there system and play on their servers is an additional cost ($30 /3 months in Aus). Check what your costs will be.
The new consuls typically only come with 1 controller as well, so if you want multiplayer another controller is a further cost.

I suggest looking at your boys ages 6 & 8, that the best bet would be the PS3 package. They are not hard core gamers and it will come with 2 controllers and free wifi connections to the net at no extra costs. My youngest happily plays minecraft on this and i suggest that the other young kids would probably be using the same. The cost of the package can be quite substantial and gams are getting cheaper. It should be easily good to last a few years at that age.

the PS4 is a decent bit of kit buit probably overkill for your 2 and aimed at serious older gamers. I geuss you need to ask yourself how much time YOU are gonna spend playing FIFA 16 & Football Manager !!
FYI, GTA 5, COD and others are graphic and prob not for kids, but they are good fun !!

Hope that helps as i dont really know alot about the Xbox systems.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2015 21:46]
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:57 - Nov 26 with 4103 viewsSimonJames

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 20:59 - Nov 26 by E17hoop

Not that easy when you are only able to see your kids every other weekend, and their mother doesn't take a firm line.
Upshot... my eldest, who is very bright (A's and B's at GCSE), spent so long on games consoles that he did no revision for his AS levels and ended up failing. I got him into an apprenticeship with an accounting firm, where he is doing really well now.
HOWEVER, his mother informs me that he spent £350 of his first pay packet buying a PS4!

I'm glad his 16 year old brother is way more sensible
...and there's no way my 6 year old is going to be allowed to go that way - his mother is also a teacher.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 22:14 - Nov 26 with 4087 viewsMancR

Talk to any friends who have teenage boys, these consoles cause huge issues.
Revision for vital exams or playing games!?! You can guess the outcome! The minute you're out of the door they'll be online.
6 and 8 years old boys I would avoid any extra gadgets like the plague.
I ain't a killjoy but I don't know any parent who is happy about these consoles.
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 22:30 - Nov 26 with 4065 viewsPunteR

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 22:14 - Nov 26 by MancR

Revision for vital exams or playing games!?! You can guess the outcome! The minute you're out of the door they'll be online.
I ain't a killjoy but I don't know any parent who is happy about these consoles.

Has it changed much since we were young?. I mean,I'm nearly 40 now,but when I was a teenager I spent hours on the MegaDrive, Playstation etc.

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 22:50 - Nov 26 with 4038 viewsBasingstokeR

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 22:14 - Nov 26 by MancR

Take the router with you if you go out or change the password!
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 23:08 - Nov 26 with 4016 viewsMancR

No I don't think it has changed- I had blisters from Atari! But the kind of games and there affect on kids has. The need for rationing, earn extra time and taking of routers etc, all leads to massive arguments and the family is undoubtedly affected negatively in a huge way.
The horse has bolted and is not coming back.
I think family fun on the Wii in the living room is infinitely better than teenagers on consoles in their rooms talking to who knows who at all hours.
Can any parent out there honestly say that these consoles have had any positive effect on their kids? Other than babysitting!
Being in school really has polarised my views on this.
To the op I would buy anything other than one of these. Family tickets to do stuff together outdoors, skiing lesson, etc
Enough preaching from me sorry
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 00:42 - Nov 27 with 3972 viewsbacardiinbrissie

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 23:08 - Nov 26 by MancR

No I don't think it has changed- I had blisters from Atari! But the kind of games and there affect on kids has. The need for rationing, earn extra time and taking of routers etc, all leads to massive arguments and the family is undoubtedly affected negatively in a huge way.
The horse has bolted and is not coming back.
I think family fun on the Wii in the living room is infinitely better than teenagers on consoles in their rooms talking to who knows who at all hours.
Can any parent out there honestly say that these consoles have had any positive effect on their kids? Other than babysitting!
Being in school really has polarised my views on this.
To the op I would buy anything other than one of these. Family tickets to do stuff together outdoors, skiing lesson, etc
Enough preaching from me sorry

You are spot on of course mate and our wa only bought after much pestering and a great deal of good behaouir points were earned. Add to that the need to find a child minder in a new country on the other side of the world fo a couple of hours a day and its a god send.
What i will say is that my kids see it as a privillage rather than a right to play on thier consols. Even to this day both my kids will ask if its ok to go play on the PS3/4 before they do it and will regularly do chores before doing it.
Ill admit it did become a battle for a bit when it was new, but the initial novelty has waned and only if there is a certain reason do they get free reign.
We, like you much prefer to go out and do stuff as a family, even if its just the cinema, but I also understand that all other kids play these consuls and my lads want to be involved when at school in the conversations etc. Not outcasts for noing nothing.

I guess its all about striking a happy medium and having one that compliments your life, not rules it. the kids have to have a sense of responsibilty too. (Sorry didnt mean that as a put down to others).
There can be great fun to be had with your kids whilst playing consuls. for EG the only time my son will talk to me about music and girl is when he's kicking my arse on Modern Warefare or Need for Speed. If you understand the games and show an intrest in them (as you would if he was out playing footy, Tennis etc) they have a lot more respect for you than if you ignore them or put them down. You'll find yourself having fun with your kids jast as you would if you were taking them to watch a match, go skiing or watching them play a sport.
Im not saying its the same as sport for obvious reasons, just that showing an intrest will help opinions on both sides.

Well at least thats what I've found. Everyones kids are diffrent i suppose.

EDIT- Just as an example, who on here could honestly say that if they were a modern 15 yrd old boy that they would rather sit in the wind and rain watching QPR play sh*te football and probably lose; was preferable to sitting in the warm playing a game far mire intresting that they had actuall input and control over as well as playing as a team with thier mates.
I'd be on-line every time thanks !
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 0:48]
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 00:49 - Nov 27 with 3963 viewsPunteR

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 00:42 - Nov 27 by bacardiinbrissie

You are spot on of course mate and our wa only bought after much pestering and a great deal of good behaouir points were earned. Add to that the need to find a child minder in a new country on the other side of the world fo a couple of hours a day and its a god send.
What i will say is that my kids see it as a privillage rather than a right to play on thier consols. Even to this day both my kids will ask if its ok to go play on the PS3/4 before they do it and will regularly do chores before doing it.
Ill admit it did become a battle for a bit when it was new, but the initial novelty has waned and only if there is a certain reason do they get free reign.
We, like you much prefer to go out and do stuff as a family, even if its just the cinema, but I also understand that all other kids play these consuls and my lads want to be involved when at school in the conversations etc. Not outcasts for noing nothing.

I guess its all about striking a happy medium and having one that compliments your life, not rules it. the kids have to have a sense of responsibilty too. (Sorry didnt mean that as a put down to others).
There can be great fun to be had with your kids whilst playing consuls. for EG the only time my son will talk to me about music and girl is when he's kicking my arse on Modern Warefare or Need for Speed. If you understand the games and show an intrest in them (as you would if he was out playing footy, Tennis etc) they have a lot more respect for you than if you ignore them or put them down. You'll find yourself having fun with your kids jast as you would if you were taking them to watch a match, go skiing or watching them play a sport.
Im not saying its the same as sport for obvious reasons, just that showing an intrest will help opinions on both sides.

Well at least thats what I've found. Everyones kids are diffrent i suppose.

EDIT- Just as an example, who on here could honestly say that if they were a modern 15 yrd old boy that they would rather sit in the wind and rain watching QPR play sh*te football and probably lose; was preferable to sitting in the warm playing a game far mire intresting that they had actuall input and control over as well as playing as a team with thier mates.
I'd be on-line every time thanks !
[Post edited 27 Nov 2015 0:48]

I've stopped playing Fifa with my lad. When he starts bringing out the keeper to score goals is the time the console goes off...
I'm a bad loser.

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 07:11 - Nov 27 with 3908 viewsexiled_dictator

simples.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 08:49 - Nov 27 with 3857 viewsMvpeter

I bought a PS4 today purely because I prefer the exclusive games and apparently it's more popular so hopefully more of the people I know will get that.

Kids are studying more now than they ever have. I wouldn't be blaming the video games if one or two don't.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 09:12 - Nov 27 with 3840 viewsMrSheen

As has been said, it's vital to find out what their friends have. Although it seems a terrible waste of time, it's actually a surprisingly social activity, though you might prefer them to be playing badminton to blowing zombies heads off. Master Sheen has a bad stutter which made him very self-conscious in his early teens, and it warmed my heart in a curious way to hear him swearing at his mates at the top of his voice (without a stutter) from the spare bedroom. At the very least, it prepares him for work in a call centre.

I miss the days when we all gathered for a game of Mario Kart around the Wii, but they're not coming back.
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 09:48 - Nov 27 with 3825 viewsMvpeter

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 09:12 - Nov 27 by MrSheen

As has been said, it's vital to find out what their friends have. Although it seems a terrible waste of time, it's actually a surprisingly social activity, though you might prefer them to be playing badminton to blowing zombies heads off. Master Sheen has a bad stutter which made him very self-conscious in his early teens, and it warmed my heart in a curious way to hear him swearing at his mates at the top of his voice (without a stutter) from the spare bedroom. At the very least, it prepares him for work in a call centre.

I miss the days when we all gathered for a game of Mario Kart around the Wii, but they're not coming back.

University is made for it!

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 09:52 - Nov 27 with 3819 viewsBluce_Ree

If you're a serious gamer (and don't want to go down the PC route) then the PS4 is quite clearly 'winning' this generation. The Xbox One had an absolutely dreadful launch and is being handily outsold by the PS4 which means in a couple of years the best exclusives are likely to go to PS4 because that's where the customers are.

But if your son just wants to dick about on Minecraft then I'd say just get what his mates have got. But then again, an Xbox 360 will run Minecraft no worries.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 13:24 - Nov 27 with 3754 viewsToast_R

Sega Saturn.
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 13:32 - Nov 27 with 3746 viewstimcocking

Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 21:03 - Nov 26 by DWQPR

Get them a Binatone console where they can play such classics as tennis, squash and football. Easy to master, just twiddle the knob up and down and try and hit the white dot as it moves round the black screen. Was good enough for me when I was a kid!

Hmmm, I'd be interested to hear what my daughter would say if you tried to palm her off with that...
Non-QPR Xbox or Playstation on 14:05 - Nov 27 with 3721 viewsBasingstokeR

A console for Christmas between them or each?

Are they asking for one or the other?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024