Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Joe Lumley 22:37 - Jan 12 with 6249 viewsQPRDave

Have we solved our Goalkeeper search?
Listening to the game, the commentators were full of praise for JL.
Would like to hear what the fans at the game thought of him
Joe Lumley on 15:36 - Jan 13 with 1060 viewsMonkey_Roots

Joe Lumley on 13:03 - Jan 13 by Jamie

Leaving arguably the best striker in the league unmarked in the 6 yard box at a set piece doesn't count as a bad decision, that's gross negligence.

I don't disagree, lets hope they learn a lesson from that.
Joe Lumley on 15:37 - Jan 13 with 1056 viewsNeil_SI

It wasn't the best performance in the world, but for a second appearance and another away from home, it was just the experience Lumley needed. Blackburn's whole tactic was designed to try and test and unsettle him and he came through that pretty well and unscathed.

They bombarded us from every dead ball situation, trying to hang it up there and invite Lumley to have to come and claim the ball. They put a lot under his crossbar too and any keeper or defence is going to be asked questions when having to deal with that.

You're always going to have one or two hairy moments, which inevitably we did. But you know what, apart from the goal, we did ok. They helped him out as much as they could, and Lumley himself did quite well on occasions by taking the ball confidently in his hands.

He had one bad moment in the first half where he fumbled the ball, but he made a great recovery save from the second phase. He earned his luck there and it was a more important experience for him to go through than the Forest match. He was put under examination and answered some questions about his capability at professional level.

He's not someone who should be in the side every week, but he's put a marker down for where he is and what experiences he now needs to go and get to establish himself as a professional. I liked how fast he came off of his line and there was a moment in the second half, when we were 1-0 up near the end of the match and the ball went out for a goal kick near the corner flag and he chased all the way out to retrieve it (slyly) so that when the ball boy gave him the ball, he ate up some time having to go back to his goal.

For us, with the Green situation as it is, these are important matches for Lumley. He perhaps has shown here that he is a creditable back up solution if Alex Smithies is to take the first-team place, otherwise we'd have never known if he was. So I think the scenario, however complicated and messy it's become with the keepers, has seen a positive outcome now with Lumley's last two games.
Joe Lumley on 20:21 - Jan 13 with 886 viewsderbyhoop

Decent young keeper but still got a lot to learn. From what I'd seen of the Reserve games and last night his positioning is pretty good. He made some mistakes but got away with them for 86 minutes. But he also made some good saves, each of which will help his confidence and convince him that he can cope at our level.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024