Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England cricket 11:40 - Jan 29 with 1876 viewsDeano19766

Just back from South Africa having taken in all 4 Tests plus travelling in Swaziland, Lesotho, Zimbabwe and Botswana before/between Tests. Top effort to win the series. Shame about seemingly already being on the plane home for the last Test. Anyway I digress; after the last Test at Centurion the players asked 10 of us Barmy Army lads into the dressing room to have a few beers and a sing song with them to celebrate the series win. Would this happen in league football never mind international football??? A top bunch and one of the reasons I love cricket. Let's hope for a successful summer ahead and holding all 9 of the Test series trophies we play for. Come on England
[Post edited 29 Jan 2016 11:57]
England cricket on 12:03 - Jan 29 with 1838 viewsstowmarketrange

I think most of us would have taken winning the series 2-1 before the start,as you say,its a shame that we didn't put up more of a fight in the last test.
England cricket on 12:06 - Jan 29 with 1828 viewsDWQPR

Was really disappointed with the last test and reckon that Strauss dropped a big one to allow the team to celebrate the series victory after only three tests. This should have happened only after the series was finished and the best teams in recent decades, would usually ensure that the opposition wouldn't be allowed to get a final result. All being said though, an excellent result and some great cricket played. Have got tickets organised for the first day of the SL test at Lords and the same for the Pakistan test. Will be trying to get a few more and looking forward to a great summer of cricket.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

England cricket on 15:59 - Jan 29 with 1712 viewsDeano19766

England cricket on 12:06 - Jan 29 by DWQPR

Was really disappointed with the last test and reckon that Strauss dropped a big one to allow the team to celebrate the series victory after only three tests. This should have happened only after the series was finished and the best teams in recent decades, would usually ensure that the opposition wouldn't be allowed to get a final result. All being said though, an excellent result and some great cricket played. Have got tickets organised for the first day of the SL test at Lords and the same for the Pakistan test. Will be trying to get a few more and looking forward to a great summer of cricket.

You are right about top sides from the past not taking their foot off the throat until it's all over. I think that may have changed now though due to the sheer volume of Test cricket being played (or perhaps because this is a young developing side who will learn from it).

Should be a good summer anyway!
England cricket on 16:15 - Jan 29 with 1688 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sounds like a great trip, Deano. Very envious!

Enjoyed the series immensely.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

England cricket on 16:28 - Jan 29 with 1660 viewsLblock

Would it ever happen? Not now.... but it harks me back ever so wistfully to the days of Sir Ian of Holloway.

There was a youtube clip doing the rounds at one stage that literally had me wiping away salty tears. It was footage of Ollie talking to the players before the Chef Weds game where we got promoted. He invited some fans staying at the same hotel into the chat and it was the finest example of the closest bond at our level you'll ever see between club, players and fans.
Either that our time ha increased my sentiment and it was actually shizen!

As for cricket. I'm warming more and more to the game as I get older, fatter and wiser

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

England cricket on 17:08 - Jan 29 with 1610 viewsDeano19766

England cricket on 16:28 - Jan 29 by Lblock

Would it ever happen? Not now.... but it harks me back ever so wistfully to the days of Sir Ian of Holloway.

There was a youtube clip doing the rounds at one stage that literally had me wiping away salty tears. It was footage of Ollie talking to the players before the Chef Weds game where we got promoted. He invited some fans staying at the same hotel into the chat and it was the finest example of the closest bond at our level you'll ever see between club, players and fans.
Either that our time ha increased my sentiment and it was actually shizen!

As for cricket. I'm warming more and more to the game as I get older, fatter and wiser

Ah yes I remember that clip well. Great days for us fans back then in terms of a bond between everyone involved with the club (quite similar to the one the England cricket team and the Barmy Army have pretty much always had and continue to have). Doubt we'll ever see that again at Rangers unless we end up skint and in League 1 or lower again.

I got into cricket later in life. Play Saturdays and Sundays in the summer and follow England everywhere now. Don't really bother with football at all these days save for watching when we are on the box and reading this forum. Glad to hear you are warming to the great game.
England cricket on 17:12 - Jan 29 with 1596 viewsDeano19766

England cricket on 16:15 - Jan 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Sounds like a great trip, Deano. Very envious!

Enjoyed the series immensely.

An excellent trip thanks Brian. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere (45kms to nearest town) in the Lesotho mountains on Xmas Day on our way to Durban, with barely a mobile signal anywhere in the country and running low on water, was a little nerve wracking though! Luckily a local shepherd called Pietersen came along and managed to get us going again, otherwise I have no idea what we would have done!! All part of the fun of combining cricket and travel!

A very enjoyable series. Let's hope it's the start of a few very good years for English cricket
[Post edited 29 Jan 2016 17:16]
England cricket on 19:32 - Jan 29 with 1482 viewsBlackCrowe

England cricket on 17:12 - Jan 29 by Deano19766

An excellent trip thanks Brian. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere (45kms to nearest town) in the Lesotho mountains on Xmas Day on our way to Durban, with barely a mobile signal anywhere in the country and running low on water, was a little nerve wracking though! Luckily a local shepherd called Pietersen came along and managed to get us going again, otherwise I have no idea what we would have done!! All part of the fun of combining cricket and travel!

A very enjoyable series. Let's hope it's the start of a few very good years for English cricket
[Post edited 29 Jan 2016 17:16]

Glad you got to see a series win Deano - superb stuff.

We drove off piste heading back to Joburg last year from Botswana game park. Past a signpost that read 'Danger High Carjack probability for next 6 Kms'. A nervous few minutes ensued. Thank god we didn't break down.

Made me think though, if i was a carjacker, i'd wait for 6.1 Kms before making my move when everyone relaxed.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

England cricket on 20:11 - Jan 29 with 1447 viewsdanehoop

England cricket on 19:32 - Jan 29 by BlackCrowe

Glad you got to see a series win Deano - superb stuff.

We drove off piste heading back to Joburg last year from Botswana game park. Past a signpost that read 'Danger High Carjack probability for next 6 Kms'. A nervous few minutes ensued. Thank god we didn't break down.

Made me think though, if i was a carjacker, i'd wait for 6.1 Kms before making my move when everyone relaxed.

Flying out to Jo'burg and Pretoria tomorrow on first business trip to S.Africa. That didn't overly reassure me Mr Crowe.

Never knowingly understood

England cricket on 20:19 - Jan 29 with 1439 viewsBlackCrowe

You'll be fine mate - don't know it well at all but Joburg's got a bit edge to it compared to Cape Town but just being sensible will see you right. I'm off to Brazil tomorrow - god knows what'll happen to me after a few caiparinhas.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

England cricket on 20:47 - Jan 29 with 1413 viewsFredManRave

England cricket on 20:19 - Jan 29 by BlackCrowe

You'll be fine mate - don't know it well at all but Joburg's got a bit edge to it compared to Cape Town but just being sensible will see you right. I'm off to Brazil tomorrow - god knows what'll happen to me after a few caiparinhas.

Just don't get pregnant!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

England cricket on 21:31 - Jan 29 with 1379 viewsCamberleyR

England cricket on 12:06 - Jan 29 by DWQPR

It was disappointing but it's not like it's not happened in the past. In nearly every series we lost to Australia home and away between 1989 and 2005 we won a dead rubber match when they had won the series after three or four tests.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

England cricket on 21:56 - Jan 29 with 1355 viewsElHoop

England cricket on 15:59 - Jan 29 by Deano19766

You are right about top sides from the past not taking their foot off the throat until it's all over. I think that may have changed now though due to the sheer volume of Test cricket being played (or perhaps because this is a young developing side who will learn from it).

Should be a good summer anyway!

Yeah there's so much cricket now, and a World Cup round the corner. Save it up for when it matters again
England cricket on 19:15 - Feb 12 with 1124 viewsflynnbo

Chris Woakes=shitehawk of a bowler. Never ever rated him. Just why is he playing for England? Singlehandedly losing the game.
England cricket on 19:23 - Feb 12 with 1115 viewsflynnbo

Hmmm nicely set up for final game
England cricket on 19:25 - Feb 12 with 1109 viewsE17hoop

Cracking finish.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

England cricket on 19:27 - Feb 12 with 1101 viewsDeano19766

Fcuked that right up. Awful in the field
England cricket on 19:43 - Feb 12 with 1078 viewsHayesender

How in Satan's name did we feck that up

Poll: Shamima Beghum

England cricket on 20:04 - Feb 12 with 1073 viewsted_hendrix

England cricket on 19:43 - Feb 12 by Hayesender

How in Satan's name did we feck that up

How in Satan's name did we feck that up?

Ask that poor bastard Joe Root the same question.

If the SA opening four batsmen get in on Sunday they will batter us.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024