Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Let me get this right .... Strikers 07:51 - Feb 2 with 10485 viewscollegeranger

Pre Window we ended up playing Phillips as a striker as we were short on strikers.

We had
Austin
Polter
JET

We now have
Polter
Washington

I dont include Mackie as he is used more as a winger and I am not sure he will ever start under Piggybank.

Am I missing someone or something but surely we should have been bringing in more striking options.

Its gonna be a long hard 3 months IMHO.
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 13:06 - Feb 4 with 2309 viewssimmo

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 12:37 - Feb 4 by Antti_Heinola

Basically, as long as we don't get sucked towards relegation (we won't), it's irrelevant. Effectively, this season is over.
BUT we now have, for the first time in years, something quite nice. Several months in which to plan and experiment with almost no pressure.
When you look at teams who go up, check out where they were the year before. Many were mid-table (Bournemouth last year, for example). And that, rather than a fight for play-offs, may help them the following season. If you're going for promotion or fighting relegation, it's all about the 'now'. Had we been doing either I have no doubt we'd have signed another striker, possibly the wrong one, or one we'd overpay for. But we're not, so if the right man doesn't come up at the right price - we wait, rightly so.
there's still goals in the side, with Washington and hopefully Chery getting more of a run and hopefully Mackie coming into contention too.
JFH and Les have real time now to look towards August. Be interesting to see what happens this summer.

ALL OF THIS.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 14:37 - Feb 4 with 2272 viewsdodge_stoke_r

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 13:06 - Feb 4 by simmo

ALL OF THIS.

Where is all of this " we wont get relagated " optimism coming from. If my sums are correct, we have managed 16 points from our last 15 games. I hope to god we do undergo a change of fortunes. But if we continue with that form, there is every chance that we could get dragged into a relegation battle. Can't belive people are writing this season off at the begining of February. There are a lot of points to play for and many changes of positions before May!
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 14:58 - Feb 4 with 2258 viewssimmo

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 14:37 - Feb 4 by dodge_stoke_r

Where is all of this " we wont get relagated " optimism coming from. If my sums are correct, we have managed 16 points from our last 15 games. I hope to god we do undergo a change of fortunes. But if we continue with that form, there is every chance that we could get dragged into a relegation battle. Can't belive people are writing this season off at the begining of February. There are a lot of points to play for and many changes of positions before May!

It's my opinion based on seeing our games and the steady improvement. We've been very good in parts but lacked the consitency across 90mins, I think as the team settles, JFH has more of his own players playing the way he wants and the fitness gets to where it needs to be - we will see better perfromances across the whole game and the points will come.

Ultimately I think there are comfortably 3 teams worse than us and 6 teams better.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 15:45 - Feb 4 with 2233 viewsvegasranger

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 12:37 - Feb 4 by Antti_Heinola

Basically, as long as we don't get sucked towards relegation (we won't), it's irrelevant. Effectively, this season is over.
BUT we now have, for the first time in years, something quite nice. Several months in which to plan and experiment with almost no pressure.
When you look at teams who go up, check out where they were the year before. Many were mid-table (Bournemouth last year, for example). And that, rather than a fight for play-offs, may help them the following season. If you're going for promotion or fighting relegation, it's all about the 'now'. Had we been doing either I have no doubt we'd have signed another striker, possibly the wrong one, or one we'd overpay for. But we're not, so if the right man doesn't come up at the right price - we wait, rightly so.
there's still goals in the side, with Washington and hopefully Chery getting more of a run and hopefully Mackie coming into contention too.
JFH and Les have real time now to look towards August. Be interesting to see what happens this summer.

This all sounds great in theory Simmo but if the rumor going around that Chris Ramsay vetoed a move for Jiri Skalak ( Czech international , 23 years old forward / winger. Signed for Brighton ) then we are in trouble. LF & CR were in charge of the players coming in over the summer and it was bad. Old lags at full backs, no balance to the squad. lack of strikers and no pace as per usual. If Ramsay has any input of future transfers then we are going to have to rebuild the squad every summer.
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 15:46 - Feb 4 with 2231 viewsNorthernr

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 15:45 - Feb 4 by vegasranger

This all sounds great in theory Simmo but if the rumor going around that Chris Ramsay vetoed a move for Jiri Skalak ( Czech international , 23 years old forward / winger. Signed for Brighton ) then we are in trouble. LF & CR were in charge of the players coming in over the summer and it was bad. Old lags at full backs, no balance to the squad. lack of strikers and no pace as per usual. If Ramsay has any input of future transfers then we are going to have to rebuild the squad every summer.

Those rumours are bolox.
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 15:54 - Feb 4 with 2217 viewsrsonist

I am also of the opinion that we're more or less currently having an extended pre-season for 2016/17. Which is what this club's been needing for a very long time to be honest.

I was hoping we'd have sold Phillips for good money this window but I suppose as long as we do so early summer and have a replacement already in mind by then it's not a disaster. Likewise I'm hoping we start games with Washington rather than Hoilett now because really otherwise what's the point? Shame we don't have Gladwin around right now though, that does seem an error...

Get everyone fit, get everyone on board mentally, get all targets scouted and snapped up nice and early. There's such a fine line between success and mediocrity in this division that you'd be a fool to be overly pessimistic.
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 16:33 - Feb 4 with 2195 viewsjohncharles

The team is looking more balanced and more suited to our position than it has for years. There's more work to be done but we look like we're on the right path. Lots of positives, even the the Green situation has a positive slant. If Smithies gets injured we have a hell of a sub

Strong and stable my arse.

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 16:36 - Feb 4 with 2194 viewsNorthernr

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 16:33 - Feb 4 by johncharles

The team is looking more balanced and more suited to our position than it has for years. There's more work to be done but we look like we're on the right path. Lots of positives, even the the Green situation has a positive slant. If Smithies gets injured we have a hell of a sub

Yeh, Ingram
Login to get fewer ads

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 16:46 - Feb 4 with 2182 viewsTacticalR

I think you are right to sound a note of caution as Austin has been so important in contributing goals. I am glad we held onto Phillips as he was the next top scorer after Austin, and can supply Polter. All the players (Polter, Phillips, Hoilett) who scored in our sole win under JFH (at Rotherham) are still here. I hope our new signings come good, but I'll wait and see.

Air hostess clique

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 17:32 - Feb 4 with 2145 viewsdaveB

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 15:45 - Feb 4 by vegasranger

Old lags at full back yes but they also signed Hall, Smithies, Chery, Luongo and Polter who have all done ok and Gladwin is a good prospect. JET on a free was a gamble and he did well under Ramsey but has struggled now he's been asked to run around a bit but as it was a one year deal no harm done.
It was far from bad, it was actually quite a good window for QPR
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 17:35 - Feb 4 with 2143 viewswhittocksRs

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 16:46 - Feb 4 by TacticalR

I think you are right to sound a note of caution as Austin has been so important in contributing goals. I am glad we held onto Phillips as he was the next top scorer after Austin, and can supply Polter. All the players (Polter, Phillips, Hoilett) who scored in our sole win under JFH (at Rotherham) are still here. I hope our new signings come good, but I'll wait and see.

There was a period where I was getting very worried about the relegation vacuum, but it definitely looks like we've got enough of a cushion, enough goals with Philips, Polter, Washington and Hoilett, and enough points in us to comfortably sit mid-table come May. Beyond that, there are certainly about six teams in more trouble than us.

We're building a decent-ish squad, long way to go and transfer embargoes could derail everything, so as a few others have said, summer should be interesting. The key thing is to get Hasselbaink's systems in place now, so we are a real unit come August.

Keeping faith in Ferdinand and Hasselbaink.
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 20:17 - Feb 4 with 2084 viewsMatch82

My optimism is coming from other teams.
If you extrapolate the points totals of the bottom 4 to the end of the season, you get:
Rotherham 40
Bristol City 40
Charlton 39
Bolton 34

We currently have 36 with 17 games left.

Yes, they will probably end up with a few more than current projections. But others will drop too. If we get 10 more points in the rest of the season we will be safe. And I can't see any way that we fail to pick up that many, regardless of who we have playing .
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 09:44 - Feb 5 with 2026 viewsMvpeter

I really hope we do start looking towards next season for once but I doubt we will it's not very QPR.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 10:21 - Feb 5 with 2011 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think it comes from the fact we're mid-table, we're 10 points clear of the bottom 5, of which Bolton are doomed and so are, likely, Charlton, leaving one place. This means that no less than nine teams have to outdo our points tally between now and the end of the season and three of them need to outdo us by a massive 11 points. (Basically, let's say we pick up 15 points from our last 17 games, giving us 51 points, Bristol City would ned to more than double their entire points tally for the season in the same period tto send us down - as long as MKD do the same thing). And on top of all that we have lost just 2 in 12, both of them via extremely late goals. It's not like we're terminal losers - we just draw too many.

It's not impossible of course, but I hope that explains where this 'we won't get relegated' optimism comes from.

Bare bones.

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 10:23 - Feb 5 with 2010 viewsBlue_Castello

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 17:32 - Feb 4 by daveB

Old lags at full back yes but they also signed Hall, Smithies, Chery, Luongo and Polter who have all done ok and Gladwin is a good prospect. JET on a free was a gamble and he did well under Ramsey but has struggled now he's been asked to run around a bit but as it was a one year deal no harm done.

Agreed it's definitely the glass half full or half empty scenario for some people and I'm sure finances were the main factor in January when deciding who to recruit.

I'm sure the current management will be working towards creating a balanced squad and that will be a lot easier in the Summer when contracts expire.
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 14:11 - Feb 5 with 1796 viewsbaz_qpr

I think its undeniable that the squad is weaker than it was before the window and we have to be careful not to go too far the other way. Despite the romance, the reality of the years before Bernie and Flavios money when all we could afford was the bargain basement that each year was a struggle against relegation from this division and the teams that go up tend to be the ones that build teams with high end championship players and premiership acadamy off casts than the Huddersfields and Barnsleys of this world that shop in their entirety in leagues one and two
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 17:31 - Feb 5 with 1765 viewsTacticalR

On the aforementioned Skalak story...

Les Ferdinand: QPR tried to sign Jiri Skalak before Brighton move
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35500791

Air hostess clique

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 12:10 - Feb 6 with 1675 viewsBlue_Castello

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 14:11 - Feb 5 by baz_qpr

I think its undeniable that the squad is weaker than it was before the window and we have to be careful not to go too far the other way. Despite the romance, the reality of the years before Bernie and Flavios money when all we could afford was the bargain basement that each year was a struggle against relegation from this division and the teams that go up tend to be the ones that build teams with high end championship players and premiership acadamy off casts than the Huddersfields and Barnsleys of this world that shop in their entirety in leagues one and two

For me the only reason the squad is significantly weaker is because the inevitable happened and Charlie got his long awaited transfer to the club he wanted to go to, the loyalty was all a bit of smoke and mirrors waiting for the transfer.

As far as Fer is concerned for all his mediocre performances he can be replaced by existing squad members and we will not see any difference, more likely an improved performance.Then there's Sandro who can never last a whole match, puts in average displays every time he appears doing just enough waiting and hoping for his move back to the Premiership, Clive's stats on the bloke show what a complete failure he's been.
Genuinely hoping both Fer and Sandro pull their finger out whilst on loan then there's a remote chance of a permanent deal being negotiated.

It's true we can't just keep buying League One players but buying the best is a good start and come the Summer when our experienced players leave its time to look for the next Danny Drinkwater as an example and start to mould a new set of players with experience, youth and potential.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2016 12:13]
So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 14:01 - Feb 6 with 1646 viewssuperhoopdownunder

So Let me get this right .... Strikers on 17:32 - Feb 4 by daveB

This was my take on the transfer signings since Les came in as Director of Football - I posted it on the transfer deadline thread
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/164351/page:9#.VrX

Yes we are getting rid of the expensive deadwood which is great
However it is taking time
The amount of overpaid under performing players we have bought in the past 4 or 5 years in mind blowing

I think the jury has to be still out on who we are replacing them with (albeit at a much lower cost)

In the past year we have signed
Mario Zarate (on loan) - failure did not work out
Gladwin - jury out as he has been on loan and hardly played
Luongo - success - although should play a bigger role in our team
JET - failure so far - glimpses of class - although inconsistent and now out on loan
Mackie - failure so far as injured pretty much the whole time
Polter - a success albeit after not getting a chance until recently
Blackwood - jury out as not played much so unsure
Chery - jury out - mixed performances - not living up to the You Tube clips and in and out of the team
Perch - jury out - many don't rate him - although his performances have improved recently
Konchesky - jury out - many would rather we played one of our own rather than a loaned player
Gobern - failure - hardly played apparently was poor - went on loan and came back injured
Hall - huge success - Player of the Season so far
Smithies - success - hardly played but has performed well in past few games
Tozser - failure - poor performer so far
Angella - failure - in and out of team - apparently poor influence off the field
Wallen, Ingham, Washington and El Khayati - just joined us too early to say

So not many successes out of the players brought in since Les started making the decisions on player recruitment
Probably Hall, Polter, Smithies and Luongo the pick so far
Most of the others have been failures - it is probably difficult - 4 out of 15 successes, 6 failures and 5 jury outs along with 4 new signings

As long as we extend contracts for the ones who are successful (Hall)
Give time to the ones that are still jury out
Get rid ASAP of the ones who are not working out
We should be ok

U R's
[Post edited 6 Feb 2016 14:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024