Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Six Nations Thread 2016 12:54 - Feb 2 with 11293 viewsrobith

Starts this weekend, set to be a fascinating tournament.

Following on the success of the World Cup, I've also carried on me little blogs, feel free to have a read of my tournament preview

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-6-nations-preview-34e9659e6753#.ox575s8p2
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 00:12 - Feb 28 with 2041 viewskarl

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 21:37 - Feb 27 by johncharles

Not often QPR and Wales win on the same weekend. I thought Ireland were very unlucky to nothing from some really good play.
Must say congratulations to England or I'll be accused of bias
[Post edited 27 Feb 2016 21:41]

I'm claiming that it is far more unusual for QPR and Scotland to win on the same day!
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 00:41 - Feb 28 with 2012 viewsdistortR

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 00:12 - Feb 28 by karl

I'm claiming that it is far more unusual for QPR and Scotland to win on the same day!

Well, duhhhhhh!
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 05:11 - Feb 28 with 1960 viewsBklynRanger

I never get into these threads because in my experience, other than Chelsea supporters, there is nothing more obnoxious and grim than a load of arsehole England supporters blabbing on about their sweet chariot whatever the fcuk that is.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 05:50 - Feb 28 with 1949 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 05:11 - Feb 28 by BklynRanger

I never get into these threads because in my experience, other than Chelsea supporters, there is nothing more obnoxious and grim than a load of arsehole England supporters blabbing on about their sweet chariot whatever the fcuk that is.

You haven't met the Irish supporters then. Swap you a chariot for a bandwagon. #bestsupportersintheworld #unlesstheyrelosing #stopthebandwaginiwanttogetoff.
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 6:07]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 06:02 - Feb 28 with 1946 viewsBklynRanger

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 05:50 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

You haven't met the Irish supporters then. Swap you a chariot for a bandwagon. #bestsupportersintheworld #unlesstheyrelosing #stopthebandwaginiwanttogetoff.

I've met my brother in law if that counts. Corporate tickets at Ravenhill, David Humphrey's wife round the house treated like Princess Ann. Old boys network turned up to 11.

So fair enough, kunts on both sides.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 06:22 - Feb 28 with 1932 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 06:02 - Feb 28 by BklynRanger

I've met my brother in law if that counts. Corporate tickets at Ravenhill, David Humphrey's wife round the house treated like Princess Ann. Old boys network turned up to 11.

So fair enough, kunts on both sides.

Edit. Bad joke!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 6:33]

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 06:57 - Feb 28 with 1924 viewsBklynRanger

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 06:22 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Edit. Bad joke!
[Post edited 28 Feb 2016 6:33]

I thought it was all right.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 07:04 - Feb 28 with 1919 viewsHitch

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 05:11 - Feb 28 by BklynRanger

Do they throw coins, fight before and after games and boo their own team. Why is football so hostile all around the world.
Login to get fewer ads

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 09:10 - Feb 28 with 1881 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 05:50 - Feb 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Strange sentiment Brian, given that the origins of swing low being England's song are suuuuuuuuuper racist (as much as they try to deny it)
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 09:19 - Feb 28 with 1878 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 09:10 - Feb 28 by robith

Strange sentiment Brian, given that the origins of swing low being England's song are suuuuuuuuuper racist (as much as they try to deny it)

No, I wouldn't actually shout for England in the rugby. Honest!

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 10:57 - Feb 28 with 1837 viewsCHUBBS

Ireland played well in the second half aided by English indiscipline but they weren't unlucky.
England should have been out of sight by ht but failed to take their opportunities,Ireland could have made the score closer but the best team won in a decent game.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 22:41 - Feb 28 with 1779 viewsA40Bosh

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 10:57 - Feb 28 by CHUBBS

Ireland played well in the second half aided by English indiscipline but they weren't unlucky.
England should have been out of sight by ht but failed to take their opportunities,Ireland could have made the score closer but the best team won in a decent game.

Have to agree Chubbs.

Took one for the team yesterday - knowing we would win if I did not go to QPR - so I went to Twickenham instead after an offer of a ticket (you are all welcome by the way).
2nd time in the last 6mths or so I have to an England Ireland game at Twickenham (first time was the friendly just before the start of the world cup)and this time I enjoyed it even more (bar the result). Seats in the middle of the lower tier and right in line with the try line where Ireland had their good spell. Shelled out £7.50 for the Ref Link earphone which really was worth the money in the end because for the first time you can hear what is going on down on the pitch and not just the odd Ref Cam you get on TV. You can hear the play in the vacinity of the ref, the bangs and crashes, the swearing when things go wrong and the ref talking at the players at every play.

I know many people on here cannot stand the game, but I have to say I really enjoyed it yesterday. Great atmoshphere, good game, but certainly not a cheap day out at £89 a ticket. You wouldn't want to be going every week!!!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 08:19 - Feb 29 with 1726 viewsElHoop

It was a good day out - we met up in the Old Ship in Richmond and worked our way down to the bridge then over the bridge and along the Thames to the White Swan just outside of Twickenham. Was a nice day and a good laugh. Plenty of Irish in richmond doing the same sort of routine - they're obviously clued up on where to drink, but they weren't unlucky. England still has discipline problems though - and we should have killed this game off in the first half. I prefer the wide angle view of seeing the game live (we were mid-tier behind the posts) but miss some of the TV analysis and replays as I don't really know enough to watch it without some help. Should have got the referee radio thing by the sound of it - oh well. Was a great day out though. Great beer everywhere but the White Swan is a must.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 12:43 - Feb 29 with 1680 viewsNoelmc

I was there too in the West Stand close to where Mike Brown scored his try & supporting Ireland. Overall England deserved to win but Ireland could easily have nicked it. However when you lose 3 attacking line outs & a scrum in the red zone you don't deserve to win. I couldn't see that happened with Paul O'Connell in the team so Ireland are really missing his leadership.

England just need to tighten up on their discipline and I think they will win the Grand Slam. Fair play to Eddie Jones for turning things around so quickly since the World Cup.

Great day out at Twickenham although it was bitterly cold and it was a shame I missed out on a very good Rangers performance. However I'm heading to MK Dons on Saturday hoping to see the recent improvement continue.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 14:01 - Feb 29 with 1654 viewsBlackCrowe

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 08:19 - Feb 29 by ElHoop

It was a good day out - we met up in the Old Ship in Richmond and worked our way down to the bridge then over the bridge and along the Thames to the White Swan just outside of Twickenham. Was a nice day and a good laugh. Plenty of Irish in richmond doing the same sort of routine - they're obviously clued up on where to drink, but they weren't unlucky. England still has discipline problems though - and we should have killed this game off in the first half. I prefer the wide angle view of seeing the game live (we were mid-tier behind the posts) but miss some of the TV analysis and replays as I don't really know enough to watch it without some help. Should have got the referee radio thing by the sound of it - oh well. Was a great day out though. Great beer everywhere but the White Swan is a must.

You're absolutely right about the White Swan EI - I go to 2 or 3 England games a year and White Swan is where I spend a couple of hours pre-match. If England win, then it's the Barmy Arms afterwards.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 14:09 - Feb 29 with 1646 viewsadhoc_qpr

Good win for England and good character to see the game out despite 2 yellow cards.

Although we do need to improve our discipline, i actually think England are getting a very hard time from the refs so far this tournament. Italy and Ireland were both getting away with murder slowing the ball down, while England were getting hammered for fairly marginal decisions.

Tough game against Wales though, could go either way. Lancaster's whole tenure was defined by games against Wales (getting thrashed at Cardiff and then the world cup loss) - Jones can put that to bed early with a big win.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 14:22 - Feb 29 with 1639 viewsElHoop

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 14:01 - Feb 29 by BlackCrowe

You're absolutely right about the White Swan EI - I go to 2 or 3 England games a year and White Swan is where I spend a couple of hours pre-match. If England win, then it's the Barmy Arms afterwards.

Jeez - 'afterwards'? It was a long enough day without starting again afterwards, even after a win. I don't think that any of our lot were too up for 'afters' anyway. Was a solid enough effort beerwise anyway - yeah White Swan was very impressive - loved the little bar they opened down the side through the cellar door. Think I've got it pretty well sorted now. Avoid the Reading to Waterloo line and get dropped in Windsor instead - swiftie in Royal Oak and a seat on the train down to Richmond. Nice walk to Twickenham. And a win.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 15:25 - Feb 29 with 1622 viewsrobith

My thoughts on this week's action

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-6-nations-round-up-weekend-3-74be3cbf6331#
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 17:46 - Feb 29 with 1589 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 08:19 - Feb 29 by ElHoop

I found it very strange that with total dominance England only managed 6 points, yet when Ireland were in the ascendancy they landed the two quick sucker punches.

We went to the Old Red Cow which was a wonderfully old school vibe before stopping off at the White Swan

Can't believe Brown hasn't been cited. Goes specifically against a World Rugby clarification last November and a band handed to a French player for a similar offence
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 18:09 - Feb 29 with 1582 viewsNoelmc

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 17:46 - Feb 29 by robith

I found it very strange that with total dominance England only managed 6 points, yet when Ireland were in the ascendancy they landed the two quick sucker punches.

We went to the Old Red Cow which was a wonderfully old school vibe before stopping off at the White Swan

Can't believe Brown hasn't been cited. Goes specifically against a World Rugby clarification last November and a band handed to a French player for a similar offence

Regarding Brown. Was it not the case that the ref reviewed it several times with the TMO and decided to take no action against him? If the Citing Commisioner punished him then effectively he would be over ruling the referee who had several views of the incident. Different if the ref had missed it or not had a clear view from the replays.

My view is that the ref after reviewing the incident should have at least yellow carded him & therefore got it wrong but it looks like the Citing Comm didn't want to hang him out to dry.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 18:56 - Feb 29 with 1559 viewsjamois

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 18:09 - Feb 29 by Noelmc

Regarding Brown. Was it not the case that the ref reviewed it several times with the TMO and decided to take no action against him? If the Citing Commisioner punished him then effectively he would be over ruling the referee who had several views of the incident. Different if the ref had missed it or not had a clear view from the replays.

My view is that the ref after reviewing the incident should have at least yellow carded him & therefore got it wrong but it looks like the Citing Comm didn't want to hang him out to dry.

I hear where you're coming from but I think the ref got it right. I also don't think he should have been cited. They have to be really careful with precedents and over-use of after-the-event analysis. Rugby is a hard game. Some of the 5/6 nations internationals have been absolute wars down the years, blood everywhere, and the game has managed to stay intact. Until they outlaw kicking the ball on the ground or in a ruck then you cannot start making shades of grey within that. Was Brown too careless with his kicking? I reckon so yes. But there was nothing grievous in his play - have a word with him backstage, draw a line and move on.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 13:39 - Mar 1 with 1479 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 18:56 - Feb 29 by jamois

I hear where you're coming from but I think the ref got it right. I also don't think he should have been cited. They have to be really careful with precedents and over-use of after-the-event analysis. Rugby is a hard game. Some of the 5/6 nations internationals have been absolute wars down the years, blood everywhere, and the game has managed to stay intact. Until they outlaw kicking the ball on the ground or in a ruck then you cannot start making shades of grey within that. Was Brown too careless with his kicking? I reckon so yes. But there was nothing grievous in his play - have a word with him backstage, draw a line and move on.

The small issue is that World Rugby issued an edict last year that you were not allowed to kick a ball from a player's hand, particularly around rucks so Brown was not entitled to do that.

As I mentioned, the laws don't account for intent, but they do account for reckless play - and on that he should have been carded and cited.

The citing process isn't meant to undermine the referee but strengthen it, accepting that the referee has limitations and not doing a football style cover up. If a Tier 2 player had done that, they'd have gotten 6 weeks!
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 12:15 - Mar 14 with 1410 viewsrobith

Congrats England, well deserved.

My thoughts on weekend 4

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-6-nations-round-up-weekend-4-d2eac239530f#
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 14:14 - Mar 14 with 1355 viewsadhoc_qpr

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 12:15 - Mar 14 by robith

Congrats England, well deserved.

My thoughts on weekend 4

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-6-nations-round-up-weekend-4-d2eac239530f#

Good summary, agree with most of that.

Regarding point one i think it's interesting that England have been getting so little credit for their wins until now (Scotland haven't won in ages, it's only Italy, Ireland have an injury crisis etc).

For example, Ireland and Schmidt have been lauded for their success in recent years despite winning on points difference for the last 2 years. Ultimately history will remember the winners rather than all the sniping from our celtic cousins.

On the various citings, Francis should definitely have been red carded after which i very much doubt the Wales near comeback would have happened. But to be balanced, Marler should probably have gone for that punch too, but it was almost impossible to see in real time.
Six Nations Thread 2016 on 17:42 - Mar 14 with 1328 viewsrobith

Six Nations Thread 2016 on 14:14 - Mar 14 by adhoc_qpr

Good summary, agree with most of that.

Regarding point one i think it's interesting that England have been getting so little credit for their wins until now (Scotland haven't won in ages, it's only Italy, Ireland have an injury crisis etc).

For example, Ireland and Schmidt have been lauded for their success in recent years despite winning on points difference for the last 2 years. Ultimately history will remember the winners rather than all the sniping from our celtic cousins.

On the various citings, Francis should definitely have been red carded after which i very much doubt the Wales near comeback would have happened. But to be balanced, Marler should probably have gone for that punch too, but it was almost impossible to see in real time.

In fairness to Ireland, most titles are won on points difference.

And I think this was the first time England really put together a big performance - they struggled to put Scotland and Ireland to bed, and did so again here, but had been so dominant this time out that the Welsh rally mattered little
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024