Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Harry Kane 13:04 - Feb 4 with 8194 viewssimmo

I know we've had this discussion before and I'm not trying to be contrary for the sake of it, but I have been arguing back and forth with a Tottenham supporting mate in the office for months about him, especially today, so thought I'd ask again. Am I the only one that thinks the footballing world blowing smoke up this guys behind is a little premature?

First the caveats, the goal scoring record he has, at this level, at the age of 22!! is brilliant and can't be denied. Credit to Pochettino for being brave enough to trust such a young player, he's got 15 PL goals this season and that's superb by any standard. He's only going to get better and if he avoids injuries he's got the potential to be one of the most prolific English centre forwards since Shearer.

He should definitely go to the Euros and start ahead of Rooney (not ahead of Vardy IMO)

But...

Tottenham are on 45 points this season and if you take away ALL of his goals, they are on 44 points. He's also only got 1 assist.

He has 11 goals from open play this season in the league and most of them bar 1 came in 3/4/5-1 drubbings.

1 goal when they wee'd on Citeh 4-1
3 goals (one a pen) against a joke of a keeper when they wee'd on Bournemouth 5-1
2 goals when they wee'd on West Ham 4-1
1 goal (pen) when they wee'd on a poor Sunderland team 4-1
1 goal when they wee'd on a poor Palace team 3-1
2 goals against a poor Norwich team (1 pen and 1 right at the end with nothing to play for) when they won 3-0

I know you have to be there to score them, I know that without those extra goals maybe they wouldn't have had the confidence to see out the games they did, etc... But, for someone lauded so much by everyone I find it surprising that his direct contributions to games this season total 1 solitary point in the premier league.

Am I being unreasonable/mental?
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 13:07]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Harry Kane on 13:07 - Feb 4 with 4928 viewsbosh67

Harry Kane is the real deal. Shame we didn't pick him up but he would have moved on like Charlie by now.

I would love to see an England team with the front four of

Varney (left) Austin Kane Alli (right) in the Euros.

I would imagine we would stand a bit of a chance of making the semi finals with that front line up.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Harry Kane on 13:12 - Feb 4 with 4899 viewstoboboly

I think you also have to look at other aspects of his game, hold up play, leading the line, getting fouls in dangerous areas, getting corners for his team etc.

I for one have been very impressed with him, especially as he plays far more games than most.

It would be interesting to see when he scores his goals, eg are they the opening goals, goals to get Spurs level etc or are they all add on's after a game is practically over? Tbh him, Vardy and Austin should be our front line for England.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Harry Kane on 13:20 - Feb 4 with 4864 viewsToast_R

Harry Kane on 13:07 - Feb 4 by bosh67

Harry Kane is the real deal. Shame we didn't pick him up but he would have moved on like Charlie by now.

I would imagine we would stand a bit of a chance of making the semi finals with that front line up.

I agree with that, we have to take 4 strikers at least. Kane is a defo as is Vardy.

However, with Roy Hodgson you can guarantee Rooney will start whenever possible, and if fit, he'll also take Welbeck and Sturridge. So that leaves one place which I reckon he'd chose Kane over Vardy for just becase he'll be seen to play for a more prestigious club (even if Leicester are champions).

On Kane though, I think he's a decent, not quite as explosive as some other strikers but he's a constant threat and has a good professional attitude, which is also an attribute Roy will favour.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 13:21]
Harry Kane on 13:23 - Feb 4 with 4844 viewssimmo

1 goal when they wee'd on Citeh 4-1 (3rd goal)
3 goals (one a pen) against a joke of a keeper when they wee'd on Bournemouth 5-1 (1st, 4th, 5th goals)
2 goals when they wee'd on West Ham 4-1 (1st and 3rd goals)
1 goal (pen) when they wee'd on a poor Sunderland team 4-1 (4th goal)
1 goal when they wee'd on a poor Palace team 3-1 (1st goal)
2 goals against a poor Norwich team (1 pen and 1 right at the end with nothing to play for) when they won 3-0 (2nd and 3rd goals)

Pretty even, after looking through he does break the deadlock on occasions, which is decent. I'm just yet to see the real difference against the top teams/big games. I think it's just me and my annoyance at the fact he can't close his mouth.

Harry Kane on 13:23 - Feb 4 with 4841 viewsjamois

I hear you Simmo, talk of 50m to Madrid or whoever else is premature. And I'm still waiting for him to show his true level but it doesn't seem to be happening - there's more than a 50/50 chance he IS the real deal after all. I'm particularly impressed with the quality of his finishing. I was also interested to watch an astute foreign manager suggesting that he thinks he's even better as a "10' rather than a target man. One more season and a half plus the Euros and we'll know where is level and potential is at.

One thing I cannot do though is jump on the bandwagon of believing that scoring plenty of goals in the PL enables you to be a shoo-in to lead the front-line for England. It's shown time and again that our players often lack the craft, guile and trickery to take top teams apart at the highest level. I fail to see how Austin Vardy and Kane would bang them in for fun against the top Euro teams. Dele Ali should definitely play, the boy has it all. But, as much as I don't like the f@cker and think he's failed to realise his potential, I still think Rooney has as much craft as any forward player we currently have. It's not all about banging in the goals against Norwich, fun as that is. And don't write off the odious Raheem coming good too.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Harry Kane on 13:26 - Feb 4 with 4823 viewsHunterhoop

I'm in a minority on this.

His record these last 18 months is great.

But I just don't think it'll last. I don't think he'll end up as a "great". I don't think he is "the real deal", if you will.

The only reasons I can give for this are:
- He was not prolific for Spurs' youth/reserves in the same way Austin was earlier in his career in non-league/league 1.
- Everything as Spurs is built for him: formation, style of play, he gets to take pens, the crowd love him as "one of their own", he's made to be "the man".
- His actual game: he's not properly quick, particularly strong, not got amazing feat, doesn't have a cannon of a right foot and isn't Crouch esque tall.
- He's not had a major or significant injury to overcome

Now, I'm not saying he's a bad player far from it. His all round game is good, he's clearly an excellent reader of the game and he's a good finisher (his shots are more placed well than thunderbolts).

And I think he'll have a good career.

But do I think he's a game changer? No. Do I think he's the best no. 9 around? No. Is he the best no. 10 around? No. Do I think he dominate defences and have a huge impact on games? No.

I know I'm in a huge minority here, but the 5 forwards I'd take to the Euros are:

Vardy
Austin
Deeney
Rooney
Sturridge (if fit)/Kane is Sturridge unavailable)

I'd take 5 because I'd actually play 4-4-2 with England's players and revert to old school English 4-4-2 play in the Euros. I think European International football is very week at the minute and I simply think teams would struggle dealing with a big man/little man combo of Deeney and Vardy. Play Chamberlain and Sterling wide...and have a go at them!

Yes, I know you all disagree and I know this won't happen.
Harry Kane on 13:29 - Feb 4 with 4808 viewsjamois

Harry Kane on 13:26 - Feb 4 by Hunterhoop

I'm in a minority on this.

His record these last 18 months is great.

But I just don't think it'll last. I don't think he'll end up as a "great". I don't think he is "the real deal", if you will.

The only reasons I can give for this are:
- He was not prolific for Spurs' youth/reserves in the same way Austin was earlier in his career in non-league/league 1.
- Everything as Spurs is built for him: formation, style of play, he gets to take pens, the crowd love him as "one of their own", he's made to be "the man".
- His actual game: he's not properly quick, particularly strong, not got amazing feat, doesn't have a cannon of a right foot and isn't Crouch esque tall.
- He's not had a major or significant injury to overcome

Now, I'm not saying he's a bad player far from it. His all round game is good, he's clearly an excellent reader of the game and he's a good finisher (his shots are more placed well than thunderbolts).

And I think he'll have a good career.

But do I think he's a game changer? No. Do I think he's the best no. 9 around? No. Is he the best no. 10 around? No. Do I think he dominate defences and have a huge impact on games? No.

I know I'm in a huge minority here, but the 5 forwards I'd take to the Euros are:

Vardy
Austin
Deeney
Rooney
Sturridge (if fit)/Kane is Sturridge unavailable)

I'd take 5 because I'd actually play 4-4-2 with England's players and revert to old school English 4-4-2 play in the Euros. I think European International football is very week at the minute and I simply think teams would struggle dealing with a big man/little man combo of Deeney and Vardy. Play Chamberlain and Sterling wide...and have a go at them!

Yes, I know you all disagree and I know this won't happen.

I agree with you on sturridge but not on Austin or Deeney.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Harry Kane on 13:33 - Feb 4 with 4791 viewsElHoop

I like him as a player. Whether he's better than this guy or that guy I honestly don't know, nor do I particularly care.

In this day and age, a striker has to fit his team like a glove, especially if he's the lone striker. If he's slow or useless in the air or has bad touch then he won't be the 11th piece of a great footballing jigsaw. Kane has a good chance of fitting into a lot of very good sides because he does a lot of things very well without perhaps being the best at anything in particular. So as a player who might be attractive to another club, he's got a lot to offer because you could change your coach and playing style and he'd still probably be a fit.
Login to get fewer ads

Harry Kane on 13:50 - Feb 4 with 4735 viewsJamie

Don't worry, ite not only you.

He's in great form and deserved enormous credit for working so hard to get himself into this position but for me, he isn't and never will be a truly top striker.
Harry Kane on 13:58 - Feb 4 with 4699 viewsRBlock

Sorry Bosh, but I can't see that front 4 working well at all.

You have Alli, a CM or no 10 outwide, and Vardy another striker on the other side. You then have 2 old-school forwards who both thrive on decent delivery from wide areas, without anyone crossing the ball to them. Surely you would want a Sterling or another natural winger on the pitch to try and stretch play a bit. Otherwise you'd have Alli and Vardy cutting in, and then all four of them fall over each other. They should all go, without a doubt, but starting them together would be pretty imbalanced and I can't imagine we would do too well.
Harry Kane on 14:00 - Feb 4 with 4685 viewspaulparker

I like Harry Kane , good in the air, not afraid to have a shot, and works his nuts off
our front 3 at the Euros should be Kane, Walcott, & Vardy with Ali , Rooney and Dier as our midfield but being England we will hang around for crocks like Wellbeck , Wiltshire,Sturridge and pick sh1t like Milner & Henderson for our workmanlike midfield

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Harry Kane on 14:22 - Feb 4 with 4620 viewsdaveB

Can't take Sturridge to the Euros, no way will that man play 3 games in 10 days let alone any knockout games on top, he's a liability same as his Uncle, just won't play when even 99% fit. Real shame as he is an excellent player.

Kane has been superb for 18 months now, deserves all the plaudits he is getting
Harry Kane on 14:27 - Feb 4 with 4605 viewsNorthernr

Agree with your general point, but Walcott shouldn't even be in the Arsenal team on present form never mind the England one.
Harry Kane on 14:31 - Feb 4 with 4584 viewsQPR_Jim

Harry Kane on 14:00 - Feb 4 by paulparker

I like Harry Kane , good in the air, not afraid to have a shot, and works his nuts off
our front 3 at the Euros should be Kane, Walcott, & Vardy with Ali , Rooney and Dier as our midfield but being England we will hang around for crocks like Wellbeck , Wiltshire,Sturridge and pick sh1t like Milner & Henderson for our workmanlike midfield

I think I'd rather Dier behind Ali and Barkley as a midfield 3.

On Kane I think he's good but the media in this country are quick to declare a player a star. Like most English players they may be a star in the premiership but they aren't necessarily world class. Either way we won't know for sure until he's regularly playing champions league football and going to international tournaments.
Harry Kane on 14:36 - Feb 4 with 4559 viewsElHoop

The way that the season is panning out, they'll all end up knackered by June anyway, so the question of who gets dragged out again for an encore at the Euros is probably going to be academic.

Barkley I would definitely want in the side as he's improved a lot this season and physically he's got some real weight to him now.
Harry Kane on 14:37 - Feb 4 with 4550 viewsdaveB

Players shouldn't be measured on stats alone though, if you look at the number of goals and assists for Vardy last season it was poor but any Leicester fan will tell you his contribution was huge all season then the goals came this year.

Even with us look at Phillips stats, for a winger he has a fair few goals and assits this season but you'll struggle to find many who think he's been playing well.

All goals count but I think that op has been unfair on Kane

Bournemouth he got the first 2 goals, they don't walk the match without those.

West Ham he got the opening goal to open the game up, same against Palace who are far from poor and goal at a key time against Norwich when they were coming back into the game
Harry Kane on 14:43 - Feb 4 with 4526 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Surely Varney will be driving the bus
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 14:46]
Harry Kane on 14:45 - Feb 4 with 4516 viewssimmo

Harry Kane on 14:00 - Feb 4 by paulparker

I really like Henderson, think he's a good player and has become an influential man for his club.

As for the seperate issue of England, I would personally play to our strengths and the strength of the premier league - i.e pace, pace and pace, on the counter, quick transitions and aggressive. 4-3-3

--------------Vardy------------
---Barkley------------Sterling
----------------Alli-------------
----Hendeson-----Dier-------
Shaw-Stones-Smalling-Clyne
--------------Hart-----------------

That can pretty much be our first 11 for the next 3 tournaments TBH.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 14:54]

Harry Kane on 14:46 - Feb 4 with 4510 viewsfakekerby

He's a brilliant young English player - criticising him really is unfair.

He's playing up top on his own in a top 4 team and is clearly one of their best players.

Talking about goals and assists only really does invalidate the entire argument - are you telling me if Spurs had Patrick Agyemang up front they'd be on 45 points? Plus it's not like he scored the last goals in all of those games, he scored plenty of openers to allow the team to build on that.

Kane clearly allows them to play a certain way and is integral to everything they are doing as a club.

Plus he's only 22, he did develop quite late and will only get better and better (providing nobody snaps his leg).

For me the only thing to criticise at the moment is that Rooney is clearly going to take a place from Kane or Vardy (most likely Vardy).
Harry Kane on 14:47 - Feb 4 with 4501 viewsfakekerby

Harry Kane on 14:45 - Feb 4 by simmo

I really like Henderson, think he's a good player and has become an influential man for his club.

As for the seperate issue of England, I would personally play to our strengths and the strength of the premier league - i.e pace, pace and pace, on the counter, quick transitions and aggressive. 4-3-3

--------------Vardy------------
---Barkley------------Sterling
----------------Alli-------------
----Hendeson-----Dier-------
Shaw-Stones-Smalling-Clyne
--------------Hart-----------------

That can pretty much be our first 11 for the next 3 tournaments TBH.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2016 14:54]

Yeah if you think Vardy will still be a bundle of energy and lightning quick when he's 34.
Harry Kane on 14:52 - Feb 4 with 4477 viewssimmo

Harry Kane on 14:47 - Feb 4 by fakekerby

Yeah if you think Vardy will still be a bundle of energy and lightning quick when he's 34.

OK, you can be pedantic if you like - Kane for Vardy, Butland for Hart, etc. The point is you can pick a team young enough that they will stay together for more than 1 tournament and become a more complete team. There will also (obviously) be more Alli's that will come out of obscurity into contention, maybe people like Roberts, Ledson, Loftus-Cheek, etc. But if you're not expected to win a tournament, you may as well make youth a key factor in your team.

Harry Kane on 14:56 - Feb 4 with 4461 viewsElHoop

Harry Kane on 14:46 - Feb 4 by fakekerby

He's a brilliant young English player - criticising him really is unfair.

He's playing up top on his own in a top 4 team and is clearly one of their best players.

Talking about goals and assists only really does invalidate the entire argument - are you telling me if Spurs had Patrick Agyemang up front they'd be on 45 points? Plus it's not like he scored the last goals in all of those games, he scored plenty of openers to allow the team to build on that.

Kane clearly allows them to play a certain way and is integral to everything they are doing as a club.

Plus he's only 22, he did develop quite late and will only get better and better (providing nobody snaps his leg).

For me the only thing to criticise at the moment is that Rooney is clearly going to take a place from Kane or Vardy (most likely Vardy).

'Kane clearly allows them to play a certain way and is integral to everything they are doing as a club.'

Well in fact he allows them to play in a lot of different ways. Unlike some strikers, they don't have to build a style of play around him. They can therefore alter thier formation or tactics depending on the opposition and the way that the game is going. I know that most decent sides do that anyway, but if your striker is more versatile than most then presumably it's easier to change things around and remain effective in other areas of the game.
Harry Kane on 14:56 - Feb 4 with 4460 viewsadhoc_qpr

I agree with the OP that Kane doesn't seemingly excel at anything - he's not quick, not that skillful, not that good in the air, is competent but not amazing at the hold up game and often needs a fair few chances to score.

BUT his record over 18-24 months at the top level is outstanding, so i'm beginning to think that his defining attribute is that he is greater than the sum of his parts and simply scores goals!

Him and Vardy should be shoe ins for England and might even make us exciting to watch - sadly Woy will stick with Rooney with the excuse that he is 'on form' due to his recent run of tap ins...
Harry Kane on 15:03 - Feb 4 with 4440 viewsTacticalR

Is he from Tottenham?

Air hostess clique

Harry Kane on 15:22 - Feb 4 with 4394 viewsisawqpratwcity

Harry Kane on 15:03 - Feb 4 by TacticalR

Is he from Tottenham?

If I am correct in following your mind down a mischievous path, may I point out that HK is what used to be described on "The Bill" as an IC 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IC_codes

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024