Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Player gaps for next seasons challenge 15:05 - Feb 7 with 3285 viewsLazyFan

Assuming the young players like Cole, Petrasso step up and Hoilett gets a much reduced new deal, then for next season we only need about 4 new players after our clear-out to challenge.

These could be in the positions:
RB x1 - Ahead of Perch and with pace.
LW x1 - Backup
CB x1 - Backup or to even be ahead of Ned. Someone who is strong in the air, like Dunn used to be.
CF x1 - We need a proper target man for Conor to play off, with Seb being the backup

If as suspected Hoilett departs over the summer, then we shall also need in addition
another LW.

Thus with 4-5 new players we could make a good challenge for play-offs. This should be possible once all the expensive hangers on have been discarded and the FFP situation has been dealt with.

Discuss

zzzzzzzzzz

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 16:01 - Feb 7 with 3207 viewsdaveB

I'd expect us to bring in 7/8 players in the summer, would think the entire squad needs improving but they we don't need to spend a fortune to be competitive.
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 16:53 - Feb 7 with 3113 viewsdannyblue

Next summer a lot of players will leave and suddenly our wage bill will stop looking so insane...
Green, Traore, Yun, Diakite, Henry, Hoilett and Gobern will go on frees.
Clint Hill is unlikely to get another playing contract. Whether Faurlin gets one depends on staying fit (fingers crossed).
Angella and Konch will go.
We'll also sell Matty Phillips unless he signs a contract extension and Chery may be moved on if he doesn't get games over the next few months.
Hopefully Sandro, Fer and Caulker find such great form on loan that we're able to sell them, but even if not I expect we'll try to loan them out again.

That will leave us with:
GK: Smithies, Ingram, Lumley
FB: Perch, Robinson, Furlong
CB: Hall, Onuoha, Kpekawa
CM: Luongo, Faurlin, Tozser, Doughty
AM: Phillips, Chery, Khayati, Gladwin, Petrasso
F: Polter, Washington, Mackie, JET

That's a competitive championship squad, if a bit thin at the back, so I expect we'll sign a few defenders.
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:25 - Feb 7 with 3044 viewsMedwayR

I think we'll need to sign 2 CB's, 1 CM and 1 CF.

Even if Hill does another year we're still a bit light at CB, and I think we could do with a CM as Faurlin may not stay fit & I'm still not convinced by Tozser. I reckon Gladwin could do a job up top rather than out wide, he's quite big & good in the air, has two good feet & can strike a ball. He'd offer something different & I could see him & Washington working well together.

RB: Perch, Furlong
CB: Onouha, Hall, Hill
LB: Robinson, Kpekawa
RM: Phillips, Petrasso
CM: Luongo, Faurlin, Doughty, Tozser, Sutherland
LM: Chery, El Khayati, Manning
CF: Washington, Polter, Gladwin, Mackie

Poll: Who’s better?

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 18:12 - Feb 7 with 2963 viewseghamranger

Can't see Clint being here next year 😞.
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 23:30 - Feb 7 with 2782 viewsLblock

I have only two requests

1. The players we bring in have PACE AND STAMINA as an attribute

2. Our preseason is arranged speedily, is well structured and begins with 90% of the envisaged squad already in place

Thank you oh footballing Gods for granting this unto us

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 23:34 - Feb 7 with 2772 viewsLazyFan

Hi,
I forgot about Furlong. Great one less RB to sign. Everyone should understand that we need a lighter squad of 22 players so, one team with backup in every position. The club have stated this is what they want anyway, probably to confirm to FFP.
Assuming Phillips, Hoilett, Fer, Sandro, Hill leave and looking to recruit in areas we need to challenge it currently looks like so:

Team 1:
GK: Smithies
RB: Furlong
CB: Hall
CB: Onouha
LB: Robinson
RM:
CM: Luongo
CM: Faurlin
LM:
ST: Washington
CF:

Team 2:
GK: Ingram
RB: Perch
CB: Caulker
CB:
LB: Kpekawa
RM: Mackie
CM: Tozser
CM: Gladwin
LM: Chery
ST: Khayati
CF: Polter

Extras
JET
Petrasso
Lumley
Doughty
Sutherland
Manning
Grego-Cox

Looks like we need RM and LM (Wingers with pace?) and a big CF who can win lots of headers. Then we need to recruit 1 brand new CB. The extras can make up the numbers when we get injuries and need people on the subs bench.

If we do not get these then I cannot see how we can challenge for a play-off spot next season. Remember Villa and Norwich will be making this a much tougher Championship than this year, which to me seems a little weak since we were last here.

Four top quality players over the summer I think is doable.

zzzzzzzzzz

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 23:34 - Feb 7 with 2770 viewsQPRDave

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 18:12 - Feb 7 by eghamranger

Can't see Clint being here next year 😞.

Yeah agree ...Clint will be gone. Been fantastic for us.
Him & Derry changed the attitude at this club, on the pitch
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 15:03 - Feb 8 with 2645 viewsfrancisbowles

If we get an injury or suspension to Hall or Onuoha then I would expect Angella to step in. If he does well he could be offered a contract for next season, assuming we could get him on a free. I think there is a decent player in there and, now we have Smithies in goal, his stats of always seeming to concede 2 per game may improve!
Login to get fewer ads

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:02 - Feb 9 with 2540 viewsrsonist

There's no way that Angella will accept anything less than a first team spot at this stage of his career. Good player but no one could have foreseen Hall's rise. Tozer and (unless there's a drastic turnaround soon) Chery will be off as well. Phillips and Hoilett are goners, and no JET for JFH.

Think everyone has vastly underestimated the amount of work that will be done in the summer - I don't know why you'd just assume the youth players will step in. It's not impossible but at the moment just wishful thinking on our part. There have to be question marks over Robinson and Gladwin too until they overcome their troubles.

For the record these are all the players to my recollection that we're known to have enquired about or be keeping tabs on (if you trust McIntyre and the locals at least). I think it gives you a good general idea of the sort we're after.

Aaron Pierre (22, Wycombe)
Emyr Huws (22, Wigan)
John Bostock (24, OH Leuven)
Adam Reach (23, Middlesbrough)
Calum McManaman (24, West Brom)
Kemar Roofe (23, Oxford)
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:10 - Feb 9 with 2524 viewsadhoc_qpr

Central midfield is where i'd focus some attention - get at least one box to box midfielder who has pace, drive and stamina to complement Faurlin and Luongo.

Strikers we're still a bit short if Polter or Washington picks up a semi-serious injury too.

I don't really expect Doughty, Furlong, Kpekawa or Petrasso to ever become proper squad rotation players - i'd love to be proved wrong, but if they don't get a real look in this year, when will they??
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:18 - Feb 9 with 2512 viewsfakekerby

JET won't be here next season, clearly not rated by Jimmy at all.

What's with the clamour for a big target man when we have Big Seb?

He's playing well, scoring and assisting goals, only 23, seriously surprised how unwilling people are to give this guy the time he needs to develop further.
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:32 - Feb 9 with 2494 viewsjamois

I think you're definitely short on the central midfielder, a defensively minded-one at that. As stated above, Faurlin is on the downslope of his career. We all love him but I suspect he will need to be used more sparingly and according to who our opponents are. We need a developing championship prospect version of Eric Dier. Or a fit as a fiddle low wage Sandro. I know that's a complete oxymoron.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:38 - Feb 9 with 2481 viewsozexile

We need a leader. Whether thats in midfield or defence.
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:54 - Feb 9 with 2452 viewsqpr1976

Most Promoted teams seems to favour a few strikers. Maybe not so much rack 'em & stack ' em, but certainly more than 2. And bearing in mind JFH said he wanted 2 in January, I'd expect another in the Summer.
(El Khayate is no more an out and out striker than Mackie or JET is, IMO)

Maybe Blackwood will be given a chance ?
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 16:28 - Feb 9 with 2284 viewsadhoc_qpr

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 11:54 - Feb 9 by qpr1976

Most Promoted teams seems to favour a few strikers. Maybe not so much rack 'em & stack ' em, but certainly more than 2. And bearing in mind JFH said he wanted 2 in January, I'd expect another in the Summer.
(El Khayate is no more an out and out striker than Mackie or JET is, IMO)

Maybe Blackwood will be given a chance ?

More chance of Clint Hill having a late career position change and playing striker for us next season that Blackwood making it as a football league player...
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 16:59 - Feb 9 with 2241 viewsbosh67

I think JET will be moved on sadly. We'll need another forward in.

Sandro, Green, Fer, Phillips will all go. I think Hoilett will stay on a lower deal but that will be up to him.

I hope we manage to use Chery eventually but if not we find a lower league player here who is a bit younger.

Angella may or may not come back as CB cover.

I think Hill will either move on or get a coaching position. Hopefully Faurlin will be okay to stay at least another season, but I would personally make sure him and Hill have a role in the club whatever.

We have to make the best of what we have next season. 3 good young keepers, Doughty, Gladwin, Furlong, Petrasso, Cole etc will all have to be a big part of the new revolution, with Conor, Seb and Coyote. We have the likes of Manning to bring through as well. Next season could be big for him.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:08 - Feb 9 with 2224 viewswhittocksRs

Hoilett will certainly leave for a bigger contract in the summer, and you'd think Philips will go to avoid another Charlie Austin situation. Hill will either drop down a few divisions to manage/coach/play or retire. Konchesky is gone and I can't see Perch staying, so full backs are needed if Robinson can't step up. Hasselbaink isn't interested in any of the kids, so they'll all have to leave too. Angella goes back to Watford and Green also exits. Faurlin will almost certainly get another contract, but I expect Henry to go. Chery may be sold, but probably not. Fer, Sandro and Caulker will all get their moves.

So I guess the squad is:

DR: ????
DL: Robinson
CB: Onohua, Hall
MC: Faurlin, Chery, Luongo, Chery, Tozser
ML: Gladwin, El Khayati
MR: ????
SC: Washington, Polter

To me, if we're working from the above we're at least 10 players off having a big enough squad to go up, so hopefully we're already working on getting those players in. We don't actually know when FFP is going to kick in, but we're surely due for a transfer ban this year at some point.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2016 17:22]
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:44 - Feb 9 with 2196 viewsPunteR

I'm thinking give Hoillet and Phillips another contract on affordable wages but decent bonuses.
Clubs seem to be looking like they're doing us a favor by taking our players. I think if we start showing a bit more intent, our best players will become more valuable. If they're not valuable to us why would they be valuable to other clubs.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:49 - Feb 9 with 2185 viewsrobith

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:44 - Feb 9 by PunteR

I'm thinking give Hoillet and Phillips another contract on affordable wages but decent bonuses.
Clubs seem to be looking like they're doing us a favor by taking our players. I think if we start showing a bit more intent, our best players will become more valuable. If they're not valuable to us why would they be valuable to other clubs.?

Phillips has another year on his contract so it's unlikely he's going to accept reduced terms at the end of the season
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:55 - Feb 9 with 2180 viewsrobith

We've needed a genuinely left footed wide player since Lee Cook left, so that's one, thought we've got Gladwin and Chery.

In order to get in line with FFP I'd like to see us not spend too much - e.g when Tozer's loan ends let's move in Doughty.

Really I'd like to see just two come in - striker and a CB, both preferably young with the intention of being understudy for a couple of seasons
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 18:21 - Feb 9 with 2149 viewsPunteR

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:49 - Feb 9 by robith

Phillips has another year on his contract so it's unlikely he's going to accept reduced terms at the end of the season

I was thinking more Hoillet for reduced wages, but both for decent bonuses. Obviously if they get better offers elsewhere they will be off though. I just got a feeling next season they will both start finding top form here.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 18:56 - Feb 9 with 2123 viewsbosh67

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 17:55 - Feb 9 by robith

We've needed a genuinely left footed wide player since Lee Cook left, so that's one, thought we've got Gladwin and Chery.

In order to get in line with FFP I'd like to see us not spend too much - e.g when Tozer's loan ends let's move in Doughty.

Really I'd like to see just two come in - striker and a CB, both preferably young with the intention of being understudy for a couple of seasons

Toszer is not on loan here. He's on a 2 year deal. He was on a free from Watford. He has showed the occasional flash of what he can do and on Saturday he showed, in his 30 minutes, that he can be excellent.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 21:41 - Feb 9 with 2053 viewsrobith

Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 18:56 - Feb 9 by bosh67

Toszer is not on loan here. He's on a 2 year deal. He was on a free from Watford. He has showed the occasional flash of what he can do and on Saturday he showed, in his 30 minutes, that he can be excellent.

You know, I wrote contract, then thought "no I'm sure he's on loan" and went back and changed it!
Player gaps for next seasons challenge on 22:42 - Feb 9 with 2012 viewsderbyhoop

I'm hoping that Karl "3 touch" Henry will be gone. But we're going to need someone to do a similar job. Ideally, I'd like an experienced player who is a born leader.
I don't think we can get by with just Washington and Seb as the 2 strikers. We're going to need at least one more.
Other than that, it depends how quickly the youngsters develop. Petrasso who is still only 30 is highly rated and he could certainly be the wide man with pace. I think Furlong will be good enough for the Championship but I'm not sure about the others, at this stage.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024