Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich 16:47 - Feb 7 with 4412 viewsAntti_Heinola

A home win! A home win! I bet JFH slept better last night.

1. Style. If choosing Luongo and Faurlin as the midfield pair looked risky away at Forest, at least there was the (nominal) cover of Fer just ahead of them. On Saturday, while it perhaps wasn't a pure 4-4-2, it was as close as damnit - making it an even bolder selection from JFH. It featured six players ahead of the back four who are all more interested in attack rather than defence; even the combative Faurlin is essentially our playmaker. It was a refreshing selection and one that certainly worked. In difficult conditions, we saw a lot of he small improvements from the last few weeks come together as more of a whole and the result was a very well deserved win which could and should have been a lot more. Still, it was a game that could have gone either way, but it would have been a travesty had an Ipswich side, who had little threat apart from wind-assisted long throws, sneaked a win.

This was probably our best team performance of the season. No one played poorly, everyone played to the plan, players covered each other, everyone worked hard. On the tube on the way home I listened to two Ipswich fans bemoaning their direct tactics, but also talking about how much quicker we were, how we picked up the second ball more consistently, how we won balls in midfield more often, how much better our passing was. I'm not sure I can recall the last time I heard an oppo fan say the kind of things we've been saying about our own team for the last few years.

Let's hope this continues - regardless of results, we do seem to be moving in the right direction. Perhaps JFH, contrary to one prediction on here, might make it past Easter after all.

2. Phillips. One of the sad things about our transfer policy over the last few years has been the effect it's had on some fans. We've been so damaged by big-name players who have let us down that we're deeply suspicious of almost anyone who looks like making a name for themselves. These days, as soon as another club shows interest in one of our players, a section of fans start acting like spurned lovers. Matt Phillips, who finished last season strongly and was a sort of symbol of what can happen if you look for younger players with promise rather than older players whose best years are behind them, has somehow morphed into a shirker, a possible bad influence, a player who thinks he's too good for us. Respected poster Jonno even suggested he should be sent to train with the kids - I'm still struggling to quite understand where that came from.

Now I'm certainly not going to claim Phillips is a genius. I'm not going to pretend his defensive work is good enough. And he has had some games where he seemed to be channeling the worst of Scott Sinclair when it came to challenges. But he does average better than a goal every six games for us. He's scored six this season and nine since last March. I'd suggest he probably has seven or eight assists this season alone. Yesterday, it was his shot that almost brought us a goal in the opening seconds, he provided a beautiful cross that Hoilett should have scored from, his corners were consistently dangerous and he scored the winner. No, he didn't always make the right choice (a really good opening just before half time being the best/worst example of that), but it seems to me too many fans look at what our players can't do and not what they can do (Polter is another victim of that way of thinking). He's linked with Prem teams and suddenly we're resentful when he doesn't immediately turn into Alexis Sanchez.

On Saturday, Phillips caused Ipswich real problems throughout the first half - as did all our front six. He was less successful after the break, but as a team we weren't as potent and arguably the conditions counted against us then too. But he still scored the winner - a far from easy chance which he buried really well. Despite all his faults, he's a potential matchwinner, one any club in this division would love to have in their ranks - it won't be easy to replace him if he does go.

3. Subs. After criticising JFH for not getting reinforcements on the pitch early enough v Wolves, it's only right to praise him for his work on Saturday. Ale seemed to be suffering from the awful smash on the knee he took in the first half (you have to think - studs up, knee high: that's a red, isn't it?) and it seemed to be the plan to get Toszer on pretty early after the break as a precuation. Thankfully, given Toszer's mostly poor form so far this season, that didn't effect us badly at all, with Toszer putting in probably his best shift of the season. Then, at last, Mackie got a proper 20 minutes and while he didn't have an enormous impact his energy and willingness ensured Ipswich could never take things easy at the back. And then Nasser came one for the tiring but hard working Washington - and it was his trickery (and great cross / shanked shot) that helped grab us a winner. Earlier, attacking decisions, made to try and win a precarious game. Good to see.

4. Luongo. Again, I criticised his second half performance against Wolves, but here he started strongly and carried it right through to the end of the game, so props are due. We all know the ability he has on the ball - and several times on Saturday that was clear to see with some lovely short dribbles - but the steel was there too, and that made all the difference. He won much more of the ball, refused to be pushed off it, and showed great determination and desire throughout. Importantly, he showed he can play in that midfield two. It was probably his best performance in our colours and the only thing missing was a goal. He should have scored after less than 60 seconds, but on watching it again I'd put that down to a very smart save rather than a miss, while in the second half he managed two efforts from distance. Neither particularly dangerous, but hopefully the goals will come and we'll start to get a really rounded midfielder over the next two or three seasons.

The only thing I would say was that Ipswich had no interest in playing through the midfield, so I'm not quite convinced yet that Faurlin/Luongo has the necessary strength needed for this kind of formation, because this was far from the toughest test they'll have.

5. Polter. He really seems to be dividing opinions, but I honestly can't understand why. He's not near the class of Austin or Helguson I know, but some fans seem set on concentrating in what he can't do, while others have just decided he's no good and are all too willing to get on his back. There were a couple of occasions yesterday where he was too slow to make a pass admittedly, but to claim, as some have done, that he has no touch at all is absurd - worse, when he did make those errors there was a wholly unfair groan from some of the crowd, as if he had done nothing right all day, when in fact he played pretty well.

One excellent skill he has is the one touch lay off, utilised to great effect several times in the last six weeks or so and best exemplified by his lovely touch to set up Hoilett just before half time - a move he started in his own half with a great turn and a pass out wide, it should be noted. He has a far better football brain than given credit for in my opinion and the shortcomings he does have are all things that can really be improved upon in training and with coaching. Besides, when you're surrounded by five technically strong players like Faurlin, Luongo, Phillips, Washington and Hoilett, a bit of a battering ram is no bad thing. The Ipswich defenders, like all defenders he's faced this season, will know they were in a match on Saturday.

6. Perch. Let's be honest, he had a dreadful start to his career here. What should have been a safe, if uninspiring and fairly short term, signing, just did not work out at all. He quickly became a player fans got on the back of quickly and was used as a stick with which to beat both Ramsey and Ferdinand. But slowly and quietly he has been improving in the last few weeks. He looks fitter, stronger and is doing a much better job at stopping crosses now. Yesterday once again he was really solid - even almost scoring in the first half. While Konchesky, for all his endeavour, looks increasingly like our major weak link, Perch is starting to at least be a solid 6/10 on the other side of the defence. One less thing to worry about until the summer, hopefully.

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 17:35 - Feb 7 with 4276 viewssexton

Good stuff, particularly about Polter. Sometimes his touch is poor - we all know that - but he knows what he's trying to do and yesterday I thought he showed definite improvement. Seb and Washington's work rate will be real assets for us.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 18:00 - Feb 7 with 4193 viewsTacticalR

2. Phillips. Thank you for devoting some space to Phillips. The thing I couldn't understand when I got back yesterday was that there was no absolutely no mention of Phillips who had scored the goal that had won us the match! If Austin had scored that goal everyone would have been saying that once again he had dug out us out of a hole.

3. Luongo was popping up everywhere. I think it was him that stuck a leg out to stop the ball going in during one of the several melees in our goalmouth at the end.

6. Perch. Looked a lot better yesterday and got a round of applause from Ellerslie in the second half after one tussle when he came away with the ball.

I agree about Ipswich ceding the midfield. That's probably why TÅ‘zsér looked better as he had more time on the ball.

Air hostess clique

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 21:08 - Feb 7 with 3876 viewsderbyhoop

In the grand scheme of things a 1-0 home win against Ipswich is unlikely to live long in the memory. Maybe just till lunchtime, next Saturday.

But it is more significant than a first glance at the result and the subsequent reports would reveal. It was a first Home Win for JFH, which coming after 11 games in charge is hardly cause for major celebration. But it was the first game after the transfer window, where we lost 3 of the 5 big hitters who were going to deliver on "promotion is everything". With another one, Green, ostracised, for reasons already obvious, we were left with a young team without the names. That included Washington making his full debut and an appearance for El Khayati.
To go out and beat a side that were in last season's playoffs and have been in or just outside a playoff position all season is a really good sign for the future. By all accounts it was thoroughly deserved, as well.
Of course, it wouldn't be QPR without a few scares late on. Earlier QPR sides would have lost in the last 5 minutes, instead of digging in and winning. The scares in added time show there is still work to be done - particularly in building the confidence that allows sides to see out the result in a narrow game.
Add in 3 consecutive clean sheets which means we have only conceded 14 in the the last 20 games and it's easy to say we have the basis of a side for next season and beyond.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 22:06 - Feb 7 with 3814 viewswestberksr

Good knee jerk Antti (as always)

I've commented on Seb & Mass and agree completely.

Phillips is the slightly odd one as I still think, despite his positive stats that he should do more. That may seem a little harsh but when he does some things so well & easily he still seems to drift out of games. But credit where due and he took his goal very well and did some other good stuff.

The overall shape of the team and style was massively improved.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 22:16 - Feb 7 with 3780 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 21:08 - Feb 7 by derbyhoop

In the grand scheme of things a 1-0 home win against Ipswich is unlikely to live long in the memory. Maybe just till lunchtime, next Saturday.

But it is more significant than a first glance at the result and the subsequent reports would reveal. It was a first Home Win for JFH, which coming after 11 games in charge is hardly cause for major celebration. But it was the first game after the transfer window, where we lost 3 of the 5 big hitters who were going to deliver on "promotion is everything". With another one, Green, ostracised, for reasons already obvious, we were left with a young team without the names. That included Washington making his full debut and an appearance for El Khayati.
To go out and beat a side that were in last season's playoffs and have been in or just outside a playoff position all season is a really good sign for the future. By all accounts it was thoroughly deserved, as well.
Of course, it wouldn't be QPR without a few scares late on. Earlier QPR sides would have lost in the last 5 minutes, instead of digging in and winning. The scares in added time show there is still work to be done - particularly in building the confidence that allows sides to see out the result in a narrow game.
Add in 3 consecutive clean sheets which means we have only conceded 14 in the the last 20 games and it's easy to say we have the basis of a side for next season and beyond.

The thing about the late scares is that when you go one up with 3 mins left plus 5 added on, there will be late scres, i don't care who you are. That's not a trait exclusive to QPR. And actually, we didn't do much wrong in those last few mins. We tried not to sit too deep, we tried to take it to their corners, we tried to keep possession. There were a couple of nervy bouncy balls and some shanked/poor clearances, but you'll get that. Smithies seems a very calm keeper though, and the players themselves didn't look panicky. But with a swirling wind and their full back throwing bombs, any team would have a few issues. Glad we held out!

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 22:37 - Feb 7 with 3731 viewsLblock

I concur with all the knee jerks!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 22:53 - Feb 7 with 3700 viewsDorse

Jonno: 'Respected Poster' (Antti Heinola)

He's putting that on all his posters and fliers.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 00:06 - Feb 8 with 3639 viewsPunteR

Good knee jerks Antti.
Hoillet is looking good these days,its such a shame he couldn't do it earlier in his QPR career.
I'd be happy to keep Phillips for another season.
Motm was luongo for me closely followed by Smithies.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 04:41 - Feb 8 with 3570 viewsPommyhoop

Good kneejerks Antti. You could've perhaps made it 7 and given Smithies his own chapter.
Just watched the match on Player and he was brilliant.So , so different to Green for the last year or so.It must be a blessed relief and a confidence boost to our Back four.
There is an interview on the offish with Smithies after the game and the fella points out how he
didnt have too much to do in the full 90 but his concentration had to be bang on for the 5 or so minutes ET. I imagined Green being asked that question.
Green - concentration.?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 09:57 - Feb 8 with 3413 viewsdaveB

Phillips is a bit inconsistent but I've never understood the stick he gets, if he put it all together every week then he'd be worth a fortune but you get that with young players. Hes still delivered more than most this season
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 10:24 - Feb 8 with 3378 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Thanks Antti

The rebuild continues

Our defence has improved over the past 3 months and now that seems to be under control you can start to play a bit more (I remember this is what Don Howe did to sort things out around 25 years ago)

I would be looking at extending Phillips contract by 3 years and giving Hoilett 2 more years albeit on reduced terms
[Post edited 8 Feb 2016 10:25]
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 10:55 - Feb 8 with 3347 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 04:41 - Feb 8 by Pommyhoop

Good kneejerks Antti. You could've perhaps made it 7 and given Smithies his own chapter.
Just watched the match on Player and he was brilliant.So , so different to Green for the last year or so.It must be a blessed relief and a confidence boost to our Back four.
There is an interview on the offish with Smithies after the game and the fella points out how he
didnt have too much to do in the full 90 but his concentration had to be bang on for the 5 or so minutes ET. I imagined Green being asked that question.
Green - concentration.?

Yeah, Smithies almost made it! But I did do a bit on him last time. Totally agree, though. We can hear him call from up in SAR. Really pleased with him so far. Just a relief that he can kick a ball.

Bare bones.

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 11:13 - Feb 8 with 3327 viewsfakekerby

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 09:57 - Feb 8 by daveB

Phillips is a bit inconsistent but I've never understood the stick he gets, if he put it all together every week then he'd be worth a fortune but you get that with young players. Hes still delivered more than most this season

It's starting to really grate that people are asking for young, unfinished articles who QPR nurture and make into bigger, more valuable players and yet those who we do have who fit into that category are constantly criticised by some quarters for not being good enough at everything yet: Philips is a bloody good player at this level and only 23, Polter the same, 23 years old, can only get better, Luongo similar age, etc, etc, we're getting exactly what we want, yet some people are clearly not going to give these guys the time they need to develop as they should do.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 14:21 - Feb 8 with 3203 viewswhittocksRs

Phillips does have a tendency to drift in and out of games, but with Charlie gone and Washington not yet firing (think he will eventually), his goals and deliveries are going to be vital until the end of the season. Good movement and header for his goal on Saturday, though expected him to contribute a little more elsewhere.
Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 15:16 - Feb 8 with 3164 viewsbosh67

Excellent as always, Antti.

I really like Polter. We need to put more balls onto his head in the area. It really is as simple as that. He is very god going forward in the air, he has already proved it. He just needs proper service from both wings. Phillips puts some good balls in but he does need a few run on head height crosses. Our biggest problem is the left wing. Hoilett has been playing very well but he has to cut in to cross and he tends to pass across the area or shoot rather than cross, so my problem is that we don't cross enough from the left. That may improve under with the new lad from Burton.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 15:25 - Feb 8 with 3139 viewsTacticalR

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 15:16 - Feb 8 by bosh67

Excellent as always, Antti.

I really like Polter. We need to put more balls onto his head in the area. It really is as simple as that. He is very god going forward in the air, he has already proved it. He just needs proper service from both wings. Phillips puts some good balls in but he does need a few run on head height crosses. Our biggest problem is the left wing. Hoilett has been playing very well but he has to cut in to cross and he tends to pass across the area or shoot rather than cross, so my problem is that we don't cross enough from the left. That may improve under with the new lad from Burton.

Hoilett cannot cross from the left. You know it, I know it, and the whole world knows it.

Air hostess clique

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 15:42 - Feb 8 with 3110 viewsTheBlob

5.Polter.
He's that atavism that has been thrust upon our younger viewers,a complete culture shock to those who never encountered the single - minded centre forward."Me want ball". "Me want score with head" that sustained the likes of Tony Hateley,Bob Latchford,John Toshack,Colin Clarke.....
And everything else is secondary to that purpose "Me lay off ball to man who sling over cross".
It needs but a single touch to score a goal.
Love the guy,and he'll get better.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 16:17 - Feb 8 with 3064 viewsAntti_Heinola

Antti's 6 Knee Jerks - Ipswich on 15:42 - Feb 8 by TheBlob

5.Polter.
He's that atavism that has been thrust upon our younger viewers,a complete culture shock to those who never encountered the single - minded centre forward."Me want ball". "Me want score with head" that sustained the likes of Tony Hateley,Bob Latchford,John Toshack,Colin Clarke.....
And everything else is secondary to that purpose "Me lay off ball to man who sling over cross".
It needs but a single touch to score a goal.
Love the guy,and he'll get better.

Agree. Can't stand the sniffy stuff you get from some fans today when they seem to feel that anything less than Barca v Real is not worth their time. Something beautiful about Polti. Like him.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024