Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Postponements 08:55 - Feb 8 with 1890 viewsKonk

Just spent the weekend in Cardiff for a family do, and on Saturday I went with my Dad, brother and nephew to watch Newport v Barnet and managed to get all the way to the (shuttered) ticket office and (shuttered) Supporters bar, before it occurred to us that the game might have been postponed. We had thought the town was a bit quiet, and it was odd how we’d not seen anyone looking like they were going to the game, but there you go. Had a nice couple of hours in the Tiny Rebel Tap room when the game should have been being played, but a shame not to have ticked another ground off.

I have now travelled to postponed games in four countries — can anyone beat this?

Lincoln v Fulham — sitting in the pub when someone came in and told us the game was off. Spent the day saying we’d have one more and then go when the rain let up, and somehow managed to get home about two hours later than if the game had been played.

Hearts v Hibs — New Year’s day train up to Edinburgh with a minging hangover, drop bags at hotel, jump in a cab, ask to go to Tynecastle, and he says, “Oh, dear, have you not heard?” — game off due to a frozen pitch (tinpot outfit)

Hertha Berlin v Unterhaching — easily amongst the top five worst hangovers of my life, schlep out to the Olympic Stadion, not a soul to be seen on the walk from the station to the stadium — that and the foot of snow should have set alarm bells ringing, but it wasn’t until we got up to the turnstiles — all locked — that we began to have our doubts. Wandered round a bit and finally found another human, who looked at us like we were mental when we asked if the game was still on.

Oh, and Sunderland v Fulham, abandoned due to a waterlogged pitch and snow(!) on Grand National day. And we were also 0-1 up, having not won away for something daft like almost two years. We lost the re-arranged game.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Postponements on 10:09 - Feb 8 with 1795 viewsHayesender

A few of us went to Southend for a pre-season game in 2011.

There were 5 of us and not one of us realised the game had been called off a couple of days beforehand.

Anyway, we all left Southend about 12 hours later very very pished

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Postponements on 10:18 - Feb 8 with 1765 viewsKonk

Postponements on 10:09 - Feb 8 by Hayesender

A few of us went to Southend for a pre-season game in 2011.

There were 5 of us and not one of us realised the game had been called off a couple of days beforehand.

Anyway, we all left Southend about 12 hours later very very pished

That's a top effort!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Postponements on 10:21 - Feb 8 with 1754 viewsA40Bosh

A good few years ago our band had a gig on the Saturday night in Chester City centre and as Rangers were playing Tranmere and two of us were Rs, we decided to go up to Chester first thing in the morning, go straigh to the venue and set up and sound check in the hotel and then drive up to Prenton Park for the game as it was only 40mins away from Chester.

We pulled up near the ground at around 2:40 and found a parking bay and we spotted a traffic warden and asked her if we were ok parking where we were and she said we would be fine for 2hrs - we said that we needed a bit longer than that because we were going to the match

"What match?"
"Tranmere"
"That got called off at Midday love"
"Ohhhhhhhhhh"

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Postponements on 10:51 - Feb 8 with 1708 viewsWilloW4

Back in 2000, me and my brother went to the town n country club (forum as it is now), to see screaming jay Hawkins..sat in the pub almost opposite the venue, it gets to 8.30pm and the pub is almost empty, being super smart we check our tickets, right night, right venue.. We walked over to the main door/box office, not a soul around, just a small badly hand written note.."screaming jay Hawkins concert cancelled.. Due to death"!... He'd died in France that morning... We still think it's the best gig we never saw.
Postponements on 10:57 - Feb 8 with 1698 viewsenfieldargh

Only time it's happened to me was with my dad. We drove from Kingsbury to the valley only to find the game got called off during the morning must have been late 60's

My dads car didn't have a radio in those days.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Postponements on 10:59 - Feb 8 with 1691 viewswombat

Postponements on 10:57 - Feb 8 by enfieldargh

Only time it's happened to me was with my dad. We drove from Kingsbury to the valley only to find the game got called off during the morning must have been late 60's

My dads car didn't have a radio in those days.

went up to sunderland on the old supporters club train many moons ago got to crewe to change engines for the next leg , and then found out the game was off so we was stuck in crewe for god knows how long untiul they could organise us getting back

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Postponements on 12:01 - Feb 8 with 1619 viewsDeano19766

Postponements on 10:21 - Feb 8 by A40Bosh

A good few years ago our band had a gig on the Saturday night in Chester City centre and as Rangers were playing Tranmere and two of us were Rs, we decided to go up to Chester first thing in the morning, go straigh to the venue and set up and sound check in the hotel and then drive up to Prenton Park for the game as it was only 40mins away from Chester.

We pulled up near the ground at around 2:40 and found a parking bay and we spotted a traffic warden and asked her if we were ok parking where we were and she said we would be fine for 2hrs - we said that we needed a bit longer than that because we were going to the match

"What match?"
"Tranmere"
"That got called off at Midday love"
"Ohhhhhhhhhh"

Also started to travel for this game from the out-laws in Clitheroe. Heard on the radio that it was called off when about half way there. Ended up at Blackburn v Southampton (I think it was Southampton anyway).
Postponements on 12:29 - Feb 8 with 1581 viewskarl

Back in 97 or 98 Orkney travelled to play Aberdeen U21 in Aberdeen, direct boat to Aberdeen was cancelled due to poor weather so we got the short crossing to Thurso (near John O Groats) and coach down the A9.
The bus driver crashed in a services car park, just north of Inverness, sliding on ice so we hung around there for a while till they came with a replacement vehicle - 2 LWB Land Rovers, 'its snowing in Aberdeen' they said. None of this bode well of course but on we ploughed, almost literally, as soon as we left Inverness the snow started and was what we call 'smookin' for large distances (this is when you're basically snow blind and can just see feet in front of you).
Eventually we arrived in Aberdeen at 10pm having left Orkney at 9am to be met by the U21 coach Drew Jarvie who let us know the pitch was under a foot of snow and unplayable, to be fair to Aberdeen they had the undersoil heating on but there was just too much snow and would never be clear for our scheduled game the following day. He did offer that if we wanted they would mark a pitch out on the sand and we could play a game on the beach! We had a team meeting and said 'f**k it, we're getting pished instead'.
I have often wondered how the game would have gone had it been played as it was still blowing with wind and snow the following day.
Login to get fewer ads

Postponements on 12:43 - Feb 8 with 1534 viewsFearless

Was going to Carlisle v QPR in cup (mid-80s?) but game got called off when we were at Euston.

Decided to go to Millwall at the Den (v Wimbledon I think)
Got to local pub and started getting on famously with the landlord. He explained that millwall were banned from selling tickets on the day but he'd sort us out 2.
Was having a good laugh with him till he took exception to a joke I made 😳.
He then called across the pub "does anyone have 2 tickets for these QPR fans?!"

Somehow we talked our way out and headed to the ground, and gave the guy on the turnstile some cash to let us in the home end.

Upon entering I bumped into a work colleague who shouted out "Rangers are here!" - realising this wasn't the best thing, he ran over and hugged me saying he was only joking.

Very memorable day but for not great reasons
Postponements on 12:50 - Feb 8 with 1518 viewsisawqpratwcity

Postponements on 12:43 - Feb 8 by Fearless

Was going to Carlisle v QPR in cup (mid-80s?) but game got called off when we were at Euston.

Decided to go to Millwall at the Den (v Wimbledon I think)
Got to local pub and started getting on famously with the landlord. He explained that millwall were banned from selling tickets on the day but he'd sort us out 2.
Was having a good laugh with him till he took exception to a joke I made 😳.
He then called across the pub "does anyone have 2 tickets for these QPR fans?!"

Somehow we talked our way out and headed to the ground, and gave the guy on the turnstile some cash to let us in the home end.

Upon entering I bumped into a work colleague who shouted out "Rangers are here!" - realising this wasn't the best thing, he ran over and hugged me saying he was only joking.

Very memorable day but for not great reasons

Er...where does your username come from?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Postponements on 15:40 - Feb 8 with 1357 viewswombat

Postponements on 12:01 - Feb 8 by Deano19766

Also started to travel for this game from the out-laws in Clitheroe. Heard on the radio that it was called off when about half way there. Ended up at Blackburn v Southampton (I think it was Southampton anyway).

we was just pulling into the club car park when we heard it was off , managed to get inside the ground as my mates boy was dying for a pi$$ so went in the dressing rooms and down the tunnell , pitch was playable that day no doubt about it

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024