Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Accents that bug you the most. 16:57 - Feb 11 with 8199 viewsBoston

step forward the brummie.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Accents that bug you the most. on 23:55 - Feb 11 with 1847 viewsaston_hoop

Accents that bug you the most. on 22:48 - Feb 11 by karl

Yacht business in Birmingham, how did that work out?

I love the fact there are regional accents, we're rapidly losing the subtle differences within the small regional dialects we have so however annoying they are the more the better!
However the one thing that grates is when someone moving to an area tries to speak with the regional accent (happens a lot with us), sounds daft, don't do it

Ha, luckily the 4 years in Brum were a good few years ago and I moved on since then!! That said, I did live opposite a scuba diving equipment shop while I was there and could never quite see the use of it

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Accents that bug you the most. on 00:03 - Feb 12 with 1840 viewsBoston

Accents that bug you the most. on 23:40 - Feb 11 by WilloW4

Why is it pointless to chat about accents? It's great we all don't talk the same..what's wrong with liking one more than another.

You'd be cranky to if you were driving an A40.

Accents that bug you the most. on 00:44 - Feb 12 with 1812 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Accents that bug you the most. on 23:33 - Feb 11 by A40Bosh

Possibly one of the most pointless threads that has ever been started.
What accent bugs you?
Physician heel thyself.

I hate the A40 accent, Bosh.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Accents that bug you the most. on 01:11 - Feb 12 with 1793 viewsJigsore

Black country. Not even a contest.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Accents that bug you the most. on 01:24 - Feb 12 with 1781 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Accents that bug you the most. on 01:11 - Feb 12 by Jigsore

Black country. Not even a contest.

Eh? Ah'll go t'the foot of ar stairs.

That is to say that I am surprised.

Love that accent.

Accents that bug you the most. on 01:28 - Feb 12 with 1778 viewstimcocking

Clearly the Australian accent/way of speaking. Awful grating accent, i'm always apalled to hear females (use whichever term you prefer) swearing like that. Horrendous.

And yet two or three times, i've met English fellas who've emigrated to Aus and actually pretend to now have an Australian accent. Why in God's name anybody would lie about how they speak and pretend to have a different accent is beyond me, but to want to sound Australian instead of English? Amazing.

Also, the Californians can be pretty gut churning, all that 'si ck' and 'sh !t' stuff meaning good. Embarrassing. I presume that's trying to sound like a gangster or something, but a white Californian bears minimal resemblance to a gang banger apart from the ludicrous clothes. And all the false teeth and false names and false t!ts they have. Not my sort of people. And their obsession with skimmed milk in coffees and carb free sandwiches. Ffs. To think most of the developing world actually aspires to be like that bunch of cn uts...no wonder the world's in such a mess.
Accents that bug you the most. on 01:50 - Feb 12 with 1766 viewsBoston

Accents that bug you the most. on 01:28 - Feb 12 by timcocking

Clearly the Australian accent/way of speaking. Awful grating accent, i'm always apalled to hear females (use whichever term you prefer) swearing like that. Horrendous.

And yet two or three times, i've met English fellas who've emigrated to Aus and actually pretend to now have an Australian accent. Why in God's name anybody would lie about how they speak and pretend to have a different accent is beyond me, but to want to sound Australian instead of English? Amazing.

Also, the Californians can be pretty gut churning, all that 'si ck' and 'sh !t' stuff meaning good. Embarrassing. I presume that's trying to sound like a gangster or something, but a white Californian bears minimal resemblance to a gang banger apart from the ludicrous clothes. And all the false teeth and false names and false t!ts they have. Not my sort of people. And their obsession with skimmed milk in coffees and carb free sandwiches. Ffs. To think most of the developing world actually aspires to be like that bunch of cn uts...no wonder the world's in such a mess.

Crikey Timothy, have you ever considered anger management?

Accents that bug you the most. on 03:04 - Feb 12 with 1755 viewsitsbiga

Madonna doing English.
Christian Bale making out he's a bit of a geezer.
Scouse birds

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Login to get fewer ads

Accents that bug you the most. on 03:06 - Feb 12 with 1754 viewsitsbiga

Accents that bug you the most. on 23:55 - Feb 11 by aston_hoop

Ha, luckily the 4 years in Brum were a good few years ago and I moved on since then!! That said, I did live opposite a scuba diving equipment shop while I was there and could never quite see the use of it

I worked with a brummie girl who was well fit and had big old bristols.
I quite like the accent since then :)

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Accents that bug you the most. on 06:47 - Feb 12 with 1718 viewsHantsR

The Australian upwards inflexion at the end of each phrase or sentence is bad indeed. Even worse is the affected popular adoption of this accent feature in our own country. I find it so irritating I sometimes answer, "I don't know " when their apparent uncertainty seems to be asking a question.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2016 6:49]
Accents that bug you the most. on 07:47 - Feb 12 with 1682 viewsKonk

(1) I used to sit next to a Parisian lad, and he used to spend a lot of time liaising with our Paris office; he could be querying the price of a stock with someone, and it was all I could do to stop myself humping his leg. Incredibly seductive. Sitting on the other side of me was/is a bloke from Bethnal Green, who no matter what he’s saying, always sounds like he’s trying to sell you a punnet of strawberries outside a tube station. For my part, I have a London accent delivered in a monotone drone with heavy Henry’s Cat undertones. French accent wins every day — listen to this: — Serge’s sexy enough, but when Brigitte pops up with her first “Bonnie” — wow.

(2) Dubs — It doesn’t grate with me, but I really struggle to understand what people with a heavy Dublin accent are saying. Been there loads of times to visit a mate and still have no idea what people are saying to me half the time.

(3) Brummie — when people do a Brummie accent, it’s nearly always more Black Country than Brummie. My in-laws are Brummies and having spent quite a bit of time in and around the city, I’ve come to really like the accent. It’s a lot softer than the Black Country.

I don’t dislike any UK accents — I absolutely love the variety and the fact that somewhere like Bolton has a totally distinct accent to Manchester, despite being 10-15 miles away. That said, one of my wife’s friend is super posh and although she’s lovely, her voice does my head in after about five minutes.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Accents that bug you the most. on 08:46 - Feb 12 with 1654 viewspaulparker

Accents that bug you the most. on 22:10 - Feb 11 by QPRDave

I think it's just a case of people talking to you that you don't like Paul!
[Post edited 11 Feb 2016 22:11]

Ha Ha you could be right Dave , maybe im turning into my granddad who hated anyone who didn't reside in a west London postcode

actually joking aside im quite an approachable bloke and will chew the fat & talk bollox with anyone

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Accents that bug you the most. on 08:49 - Feb 12 with 1653 viewsMonahoop

Accents that bug you the most. on 19:58 - Feb 11 by MrSheen

Dublin, makes Scouse sound honey-toned. Sorry Dubliners, can't bear it.

I'd go along with that too MrSheen, especially the North Dublin accent. Horrid! Also on the subject of Irish accents, the Kerry accent grates me too. Silly sing song stuff. Lots of people in Ireland [south] detest the Northern accent. I like it. Belfast has what you might call a 'real' accent.

I hate the new trend of upward lilting of sentences, something which plagues the English and to some extent some Irish accents too. It sounds okay with Aussie's or Kiwi's, where it probably originated, but with Brits or Irish, stupid, stupid, stupid!! Even the Yanks are at it.

For me though the most putrid accent ahead of North Dublin has to be Scouse. 'You aalraaaaght chook' Aggghhhhh !!!!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Accents that bug you the most. on 08:53 - Feb 12 with 1645 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Builders Geeeeeeeezer.

I can talk laaaaaaaauder than ya, fart laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauder than ya and be a geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeza more than ya (when in group singularly they are fine it's like this switch is flicked if there are more than 3 together like the final 5 Cylons)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:12 - Feb 12 with 1617 viewsMrSheen

Accents that bug you the most. on 08:49 - Feb 12 by Monahoop

I'd go along with that too MrSheen, especially the North Dublin accent. Horrid! Also on the subject of Irish accents, the Kerry accent grates me too. Silly sing song stuff. Lots of people in Ireland [south] detest the Northern accent. I like it. Belfast has what you might call a 'real' accent.

I hate the new trend of upward lilting of sentences, something which plagues the English and to some extent some Irish accents too. It sounds okay with Aussie's or Kiwi's, where it probably originated, but with Brits or Irish, stupid, stupid, stupid!! Even the Yanks are at it.

For me though the most putrid accent ahead of North Dublin has to be Scouse. 'You aalraaaaght chook' Aggghhhhh !!!!

I'm spending a lot of time in Kerry these days and I love it. It's hilarious that they can't say "Bye" on the phone just once, it has to be "Bye...bye, bye, bye, bye...bye". West Cork is the king of Irish accents, someone (probably Brian) pointed out how the slow drawl had influenced West Indian accents.

I used to hear a minister on the radio when I was over called Charlie McCreevy, whose accent was totally incomprehensible. It sounded like he'd been brought up in a cave 10,000 years ago. Was that Wicklow mountains?
Accents that bug you the most. on 09:26 - Feb 12 with 1597 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:12 - Feb 12 by MrSheen

I'm spending a lot of time in Kerry these days and I love it. It's hilarious that they can't say "Bye" on the phone just once, it has to be "Bye...bye, bye, bye, bye...bye". West Cork is the king of Irish accents, someone (probably Brian) pointed out how the slow drawl had influenced West Indian accents.

I used to hear a minister on the radio when I was over called Charlie McCreevy, whose accent was totally incomprehensible. It sounded like he'd been brought up in a cave 10,000 years ago. Was that Wicklow mountains?

McCreevy is from Kildare, or County Midlands to be precise. He, with Bertie Ahern, was the architect of our capitalist spin into economic depression so even if you could understand his bumbling, mumbling drawl he would have made no sense.

It was me who pointed out the phonetic link between West Cork and the West Indies from the times when we and the Africans were slaves. Thanks for the endorsement on our accents!

Many of our Kerry neighbours deliberately change their accent in front of a stranger. They slow it down even more, stupify it even more, introduce 'h's all over the place ("I dunno , shure, I shuppose"). This is part of their act to play the intellectual possum but (and here's the clever bit) they're actually (holding my sides, here) fierche cute altogether and just acting a bit shlow to catch you out. It's tiresome and belongs in a 1950's Hollywood Oirish film. Ten minutes in the tourist part of that County is ten minutes too long. Count your fingers as you're leaving.

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:33 - Feb 12 with 1588 viewsMick_S

According to this:

The most grating accents are:

1. Scouse.

2. Belfast.

3. Manchester.

4. Birmingham.

5. You guessed it.

Regarding the rapid" bye, bye ,bye" thing on the phone, I'm hearing it pronounced "bay, bay, bay etc. Self important nonsence implying that whoever you are talking to doesn't have enough seconds in a minute - the silly feckers are actually taking longer to put the phone down.

As for upspeaking, or whatever it's called, have a listen to yourself, will you?

That's better.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2016 9:34]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:39 - Feb 12 with 1574 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:33 - Feb 12 by Mick_S

According to this:

The most grating accents are:

1. Scouse.

2. Belfast.

3. Manchester.

4. Birmingham.

5. You guessed it.

Regarding the rapid" bye, bye ,bye" thing on the phone, I'm hearing it pronounced "bay, bay, bay etc. Self important nonsence implying that whoever you are talking to doesn't have enough seconds in a minute - the silly feckers are actually taking longer to put the phone down.

As for upspeaking, or whatever it's called, have a listen to yourself, will you?

That's better.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2016 9:34]

John Honney wrote two books?

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:42 - Feb 12 with 1570 viewsMick_S

Accents that bug you the most. on 09:39 - Feb 12 by BrianMcCarthy

John Honney wrote two books?

A proper multi-tasker!

Accents that bug you the most. on 14:21 - Feb 12 with 1469 viewsQPRDave

Accents that bug you the most. on 08:46 - Feb 12 by paulparker

Ha Ha you could be right Dave , maybe im turning into my granddad who hated anyone who didn't reside in a west London postcode

actually joking aside im quite an approachable bloke and will chew the fat & talk bollox with anyone

Accents that bug you the most. on 14:31 - Feb 12 with 1461 viewsDaiHo0p

West London. Reminds me of Steptoe & Son every time.
Accents that bug you the most. on 14:36 - Feb 12 with 1450 viewsMick_S

Accents that bug you the most. on 14:31 - Feb 12 by DaiHo0p

West London. Reminds me of Steptoe & Son every time.

Proper cockernee.

Accents that bug you the most. on 15:52 - Feb 12 with 1409 viewsbob566

I holiday in Kerry every year but the high parts near where the healy raes hold post out towards west cork is dreadful. Have a watch of this and see what you think. I sh** you not. Its borderline deliverance and the hills have eyes stuff going on. Makes us look like a right bunch of yokels. Norfolk has nothing on this lot.

Accents that bug you the most. on 16:06 - Feb 12 with 1392 viewsBluce_Ree

Worst accent? Chav.

I was in a supermarket and there was a couple talking to each other and it was just the laziest bullshit talking ever. Like lazy, sleepy, no enunciation. Just shit. I wanted to beat her to death with his face. It was up North where I live so it was like a sort of f**ked Coronation Street mixed with a sort of zombie struggle.

If you can't be bothered to even try when you talk, you need to f**k off. It's the first way you present yourself to the world. Fair enough, we've all got accents but at least f**king try a bit.

Also, my mate was dating a girl who was early 20s (in London) and she sounded like she might be one of N-Dubz despite being a suburban white girl. She was monumentally thick as well. Suffice to say, I told him to f**k her clean off. Took him three years though. Bad times.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Accents that bug you the most. on 16:28 - Feb 12 with 1363 viewskensalriser

I love the diversity of accents and even quite admire Scouse for its resolute don't give a fckness about how anyone else speaks.

But I absolutely loathe contemporary London yoot-speak. It's not Jafaican any more, that was 20 years ago. Accents unavoidably change every generation, but this new accent isn't natural progression, it's completely manufactured. People choose to speak it. But why choose to sound completely retarded? I've heard obviously middle class school kids having perfectly intelligent conversations in yoot-speak and they still sound thick as shit.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024