Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. 13:48 - Feb 19 with 6564 viewsoldmeadoniansR

In my less than illustrious career i've had a few. Close to home Gunnersbery park is bad with changing rooms like a cattle shed and hundreds of poor pitches. Also anywhere in Walthamstow. But for me it has to be Salendine Nook. It was Huddersfield Polytechnics home ground situated on the side of a moor with sloping angles and ferocious wind prevalent. I once scored from the half way line due to metereological conditions rather than skill. Tough up north. Can you beat that?
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:02 - Feb 19 with 5547 viewsSimonJames

Shirley Wanderers RFC in the '80s - having to walk the pitch looking for discarded needles and really big dog turds before we played.

Also, Peterborough Colts played on a pitch that was previously a waste dump. When the ground got soggy, little bits of glass and tin used to work their way to the surface. After the first time I played there I counted 43 tiny cuts on my body, but one of our locks had 89.

Played against a team in Kent once whose pitch was so boggy the mud came over your ankles and you couldn't actually run. So people with the longest legs were the fastest simply because they had to take less strides. I absolutely hated getting caught by slow lumbering forwards who could squelch through the muck faster.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:05 - Feb 19 with 5538 viewsMonahoop

Bennetts Field, the home of the mighty Horsham Baptists FC. There was more dog s**t on the pitch than grass. This meant lots of players having to do interesting skippy/ballet type actions to avoid the cursed turds and the keepers were afraid to dive or handle the ball. Headers or lack of them were interesting!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:09 - Feb 19 with 5532 viewsToast_R

Malden Vale (Now named Raynes Park Vale).

That pitch had a slope so steep you can abseil into the penalty area. On a bad day it must have been like spending 45 minutes trying to take Hamburger Hill.

Used to play in the once legendary PBFL. If your team got the the annual cup final you got to play the final there. God knows why as by Spring time it had zero blades of grass left and resembled nothing but a dust bowl, the regular pitches on Prince Georges Playing fields (Where David Lloyds now stands) were far better. Still, it suited the win at all costs - bye-passing the midfield motif us kids of the 80s were all taught. Kid with the biggest hoof at the back, and the fast ones up top. Everyone else just makes up the numbers.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2016 14:15]
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:10 - Feb 19 with 5529 viewsPeterHucker

used to play youth football in Hampshire, we played in the "Farnham & District League" or something like that.
We used to play against a team called Tongham which is near Aldershot.
The ground / field wasn't that bad, just a standard patch of mud with a few bits of grass on it. But the kids who played for Tongham and their parents who came to watch seemed to be from a different era. Specifically an era shortly before man discovered iron.

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:15 - Feb 19 with 5513 viewsade_qpr

Bridgewater oval in the Adelaide hills

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:18 - Feb 19 with 5501 viewsisawqpratwcity

Auckland pitches have a particular problem, or at least did in my playing days: my high school pitch and at least one municipal pitch had rock protruding through the surface. Auckland is a highly volcanic region and massive lava shallowly underlies many areas. I never saw an injury caused but sliding onto the rock didn't bear thinking about.

It might be something to do with the then attitude to the round ball. I never saw a rocky rugby pitch.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:45 - Feb 19 with 5463 viewsMonahoop

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:09 - Feb 19 by Toast_R

Malden Vale (Now named Raynes Park Vale).

That pitch had a slope so steep you can abseil into the penalty area. On a bad day it must have been like spending 45 minutes trying to take Hamburger Hill.

Used to play in the once legendary PBFL. If your team got the the annual cup final you got to play the final there. God knows why as by Spring time it had zero blades of grass left and resembled nothing but a dust bowl, the regular pitches on Prince Georges Playing fields (Where David Lloyds now stands) were far better. Still, it suited the win at all costs - bye-passing the midfield motif us kids of the 80s were all taught. Kid with the biggest hoof at the back, and the fast ones up top. Everyone else just makes up the numbers.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2016 14:15]

I watched a couple of games at the Vale, Toast, when I used to live nearby. Agree the slope was quite immense. I seem to remember the World Cup for Sunday League players or something like that was held on the fields adjacent to the Vale ground one summer. I wonder if it is still held there?

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:54 - Feb 19 with 5448 viewsloftboy

Refereed pretty much all over west London, worst for facilities is warren farm hands down, best was the civil service pitches at dukes meadow on Chiswick.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:11 - Feb 19 with 5432 viewsMrSheen

I took my son's mini rugby team to play Mitcham Bulls in a park on the big estate there. The session began with the parents, coaches and older kids forming a line like a police search to go over the pitches for broken glass (left there deliberately, apparently). As we were leaving at the end, a scrote was tearing over the field on a quad bike.
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:16 - Feb 19 with 5418 viewsqueensparker

Another vote for the hellhole that is Warren Farm. And the pitches on Clapham Common were pretty woeful, not only muddy and bumpy and tiny, but mainly because they were covered in beer cans / other more unsavoury momentos of the previous Saturday night.

On the flipside played a few games at Motspur Park, Fulham's training ground, which was incredible. Like playing on a snooker table. It's almost a different game on surfaces like that.
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:25 - Feb 19 with 5397 viewsQPRDave

These two would test your ball control

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:40 - Feb 19 with 5361 viewsloftboy

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:11 - Feb 19 by MrSheen

I took my son's mini rugby team to play Mitcham Bulls in a park on the big estate there. The session began with the parents, coaches and older kids forming a line like a police search to go over the pitches for broken glass (left there deliberately, apparently). As we were leaving at the end, a scrote was tearing over the field on a quad bike.

That's just reminded me,at hanworth air park in a game between Brentford royals and the Feltham prison officers,in the warm up the Brentford keeper shouted "ref I have a problem" he had dived on a broken bottle neck that had been buried in the six yard box, his leg was open from.his thigh to his ankle, fortunately the prison officers were advanced in their first aid and held his leg together until the ambulance arrived, several hundred internal and external stitches required.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:41 - Feb 19 with 5359 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lord Halisbury's Northolt.

Reason: THAT F'KIN WIND!

PS if you google Earth it (well 3 years ago) the pitches and penalty boxes are nor square.. more of a paralelogram.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:59 - Feb 19 with 5340 viewsToast_R

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:45 - Feb 19 by Monahoop

I watched a couple of games at the Vale, Toast, when I used to live nearby. Agree the slope was quite immense. I seem to remember the World Cup for Sunday League players or something like that was held on the fields adjacent to the Vale ground one summer. I wonder if it is still held there?

I've noticed they do play on those fields Sunday's still but it's men's teams now, cloggers a plenty.

Before old David Lloyd came along and built his exclusive leisure centre there, those fields were much bigger. The PBFL had to move to Tolworth when it happened in the late 80's which caused a bit of a stink as it meant many of the kids now had to travel up the busy A3 to get there.
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 16:09 - Feb 19 with 5329 viewsMetallica_Hoop

In defence of Warren Farm the pitches miles away by the rambler fence are georgeous like carpet because most lazy firkers do not want to walk all the way over they are like Anne Widicombe...untouched.

Crap facilities though especially after some thieving Barstewards nicked the hot water tank.

Moss in the urinals

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 16:09 - Feb 19 with 5327 viewsMrSheen

I played on the pitch at Stamford Bridge in a 5-a-side competition about 20 years ago. Do I win?
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 16:16 - Feb 19 with 5316 viewsPinnerPaul

My son played a match on Broadwater Farm Estate once - that was pretty scary, even on a Sunday morning!
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 16:33 - Feb 19 with 5296 viewsYorkRanger

I thought Wandsworth Common was bad but in Yorkshire played at Gillamoor (edge of North York Moors) - get changed by the side of the pitch often in bracing westerly gales and the pitch is covered in sheep sh1t. Also played at Ganton, which whilst having a famous and quite exclusive Golf club also has a football pitch by the side of the A64 where the changing rooms are large trailers that at some recent point had transported pigs.
Suspect one or two of you are now on google maps....
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 17:47 - Feb 19 with 5222 viewsterryb

Many a time I had to change in the car as there were no facilities at all!

Add this to playing on a slope that made Loakes park look level, I give you Windsor Road, Chesham.

In Suffolk, it was a park pitch in Felixstowe. Only played there once, the Sunday after the 1987 huricane. That day there was no wind anywhere except at this hell hole. I don't suppose I can blame the council though that no changing rooms or water was available. That would have been the fault of the weather forecaster who assured us no storm was on the way!"
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 19:28 - Feb 19 with 5180 viewsPinnerPaul

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:41 - Feb 19 by Metallica_Hoop

Lord Halisbury's Northolt.

Reason: THAT F'KIN WIND!

PS if you google Earth it (well 3 years ago) the pitches and penalty boxes are nor square.. more of a paralelogram.

I've refereed there and had to wait for pitch to be marked out!
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 21:23 - Feb 19 with 5128 viewsRickyDicky

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 14:02 - Feb 19 by SimonJames

Shirley Wanderers RFC in the '80s - having to walk the pitch looking for discarded needles and really big dog turds before we played.

Also, Peterborough Colts played on a pitch that was previously a waste dump. When the ground got soggy, little bits of glass and tin used to work their way to the surface. After the first time I played there I counted 43 tiny cuts on my body, but one of our locks had 89.

Played against a team in Kent once whose pitch was so boggy the mud came over your ankles and you couldn't actually run. So people with the longest legs were the fastest simply because they had to take less strides. I absolutely hated getting caught by slow lumbering forwards who could squelch through the muck faster.

Pretty sure i played rugby at Shirley park, was it the same place ?

I played at Erith Rfc (old Eritheans as it was once know )in the 80's on the rec known as dog shit hill. No mystery as to what it was like !
Anyway, we took it in turns to take the shirts in a big bag to the laundrette the next day. One guy forgot and turned up the next week with said shirts covered in snot, sweat, shite, blood and all sorts from the previous week ! We won the game, no-one came near us ! I

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 23:35 - Feb 19 with 5065 viewsSimonJames

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 21:23 - Feb 19 by RickyDicky

Pretty sure i played rugby at Shirley park, was it the same place ?

I played at Erith Rfc (old Eritheans as it was once know )in the 80's on the rec known as dog shit hill. No mystery as to what it was like !
Anyway, we took it in turns to take the shirts in a big bag to the laundrette the next day. One guy forgot and turned up the next week with said shirts covered in snot, sweat, shite, blood and all sorts from the previous week ! We won the game, no-one came near us ! I

Yeah that's right, Shirley Park.
I played for Bromley for several years, but I don't think we ever played Erith.

(I worked in Erith though... at Beck & Pollitzer).

100% of people who drink water will die.

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 00:38 - Feb 20 with 5044 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Played on Kilkee's pitch in West Clare, it's on the edge of these cliffs. Called 'The Killing Field'. Many's the ball and small child that has been lost to bad wing play.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 08:02 - Feb 20 with 4999 viewsLadbrokeR

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 00:38 - Feb 20 by BrianMcCarthy

Played on Kilkee's pitch in West Clare, it's on the edge of these cliffs. Called 'The Killing Field'. Many's the ball and small child that has been lost to bad wing play.

I have played on some bad pitches. Although I ran a youth team in the late seventies that were quite good. One of the teams that we played were Roxeth CLB who's pitch close to South Harrow station was a hill and I really mean a hill. It made a mockery of the game and to this day I don't know how it was allowed.
Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 13:16 - Feb 20 with 4926 viewsBoston

Worst ground/field you have ever played at. on 15:16 - Feb 19 by queensparker

Another vote for the hellhole that is Warren Farm. And the pitches on Clapham Common were pretty woeful, not only muddy and bumpy and tiny, but mainly because they were covered in beer cans / other more unsavoury momentos of the previous Saturday night.

On the flipside played a few games at Motspur Park, Fulham's training ground, which was incredible. Like playing on a snooker table. It's almost a different game on surfaces like that.

erm, I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize, 'fraid to admit but I was partly responsible for the debris found on Clapham's football fields. I was dating this bird from Clapham south ....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024