Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin 18:46 - Apr 8 with 7773 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Obviously a massive dose of hindsight, but £4m looking alright now isn't it?

Sure he'll resume normal service once he's fully fit though.
Charlie Austin on 12:26 - Apr 9 with 2203 viewsTHEBUSH

Southampton bought Charlie at a bargain price, but his wages will be astronomical.

He has big competition at Southampton in , Long and Pelle, so I don't suppose they bought him as a short term investment, 3 months ain't nothing, next season will be the big test for him.
Charlie Austin on 13:28 - Apr 9 with 2148 viewsdodge_stoke_r

Coming at it fro a slightly different angle. He has always played for teams that are set up around him as the numerou uno. He isn't at a team that needs to that any more. This maybe the a God move to see just how good he is in a team that isn't set up to "pass it to Charlie and watch him score". Will either make or break him IMHO.
Charlie Austin on 23:29 - May 3 with 1984 views2Thomas2Bowles

I wonder if he is regretting turning down Leicester now

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin on 23:35 - May 3 with 1967 viewsDannytheR

Charlie Austin on 23:29 - May 3 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I wonder if he is regretting turning down Leicester now

He'd have been sitting on their bench all season.
Charlie Austin on 23:42 - May 3 with 1955 viewsbosh67

Charlie Austin on 23:35 - May 3 by DannytheR

He'd have been sitting on their bench all season.

With a Premiership champions medal.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Charlie Austin on 23:49 - May 3 with 1931 viewsDannytheR

Charlie Austin on 23:42 - May 3 by bosh67

With a Premiership champions medal.

True. I just don't think he'd have ended up contributing much to it.

For me, Austin not leaving us last summer put a question mark against his attitude. Careers in football are short - at 26, don't you want to be playing at the top level any chance you get, instead of dropping back down into the Championship to see out your contract?

The impression you got from reports was that he only pushed through the move to Southampton because it meant he wouldn't have to move house.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 23:50]
Charlie Austin on 07:28 - May 4 with 1748 viewsdaveB

said at the time it was a good deal and looks better now. The player held all the cards and wanted to go to Southampton so no way were we going to get big money for him.

I still think Newcastle were stupid to not come in with a big bid last summer, they'd be nowhere near the bottom 3 if they had signed him
Charlie Austin on 08:31 - May 4 with 1677 viewskingsburyR

He was never going to end up in Newcastle.

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin on 08:33 - May 4 with 1671 viewsRBlock

Charlie Austin on 03:51 - Apr 9 by RANGERS4EVER

Personally believe that we have actually improved without him. Love the guy, was a great player for us, but I actually believe that with him in the team the fans turned on every other player. Always believed it was a one man team, and Austin was our only saviour. Also think that affected the players, who felt like Austin was the only QPR player liked. Without him I think we have become more of a team, and gained a better atmosphere between the fans and players

Our only tactic with Austin, especially under Redknapp, was 'get it in the mixer and hope Charlie will score'. Love him to pieces but we have been so much better without him. Wish we had let him go in the summer.
Charlie Austin on 08:54 - May 4 with 1646 viewsloftboy

(or one of my colleagues) deliver charlies online grocery's, got a nice pad unlike some footballers its not OTT and pretentious, and not one leopard print insight xx

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Charlie Austin on 09:03 - May 4 with 1627 viewspaulparker

ive heard it all now

we are a better team without Austin ! ?? , are we ?? based on what ? not scoring any goals ,
and how now its a great deal exactly

sorry but getting 4 million for a bloke who has scored around 50 goals in 2 and a bit seasons , who is in his mid twenties , who could be a future England player , how is 4 million a good bit of business , its crap and pretty much sums up the TF era as a whole

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Charlie Austin on 09:10 - May 4 with 1614 views2Thomas2Bowles

Will Leicester go back in for him, they will need to sign a few with playing in the CL, I think Vardy is a mate of CA's but maybe they feel or Ranieri may think CA had his chance to join.

Going to be very hard to get the "right" players in

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin on 10:02 - May 4 with 1534 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin on 09:03 - May 4 by paulparker

ive heard it all now

we are a better team without Austin ! ?? , are we ?? based on what ? not scoring any goals ,
and how now its a great deal exactly

sorry but getting 4 million for a bloke who has scored around 50 goals in 2 and a bit seasons , who is in his mid twenties , who could be a future England player , how is 4 million a good bit of business , its crap and pretty much sums up the TF era as a whole

because he was out of contract in a few months so 4 million in January was better than nothing in June
Charlie Austin on 10:12 - May 4 with 1523 viewspaulparker

Charlie Austin on 10:02 - May 4 by daveB

because he was out of contract in a few months so 4 million in January was better than nothing in June

Yes he was Dave and TF and the board were clueless in not trying to sign him to a new deal after the play offs and then trying to flog him in the summer in a blind panic once they realised he was going to do the off ,
only TF and QPR could have a striker who scores 20 goals in a prem season and sell him for less than they paid , you would have thought we would have learned our lessons after we did the same thing with Remy
no matter how much people go on about good deals we sold two 20 goals a season strikers and didn't make a single penny profit on either of them

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Charlie Austin on 10:22 - May 4 with 1506 viewsDiscodroids

Charlie Austin on 10:12 - May 4 by paulparker

Yes he was Dave and TF and the board were clueless in not trying to sign him to a new deal after the play offs and then trying to flog him in the summer in a blind panic once they realised he was going to do the off ,
only TF and QPR could have a striker who scores 20 goals in a prem season and sell him for less than they paid , you would have thought we would have learned our lessons after we did the same thing with Remy
no matter how much people go on about good deals we sold two 20 goals a season strikers and didn't make a single penny profit on either of them

TFs got a brassneck thicker than Lou Ferrigno bench pressing 400lbs upon the gravitational G forces of Uranus.

4 million for Charlie austin you say squire..
'its a deal its a steal, its sale of the fkn century"

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Charlie Austin on 10:35 - May 4 with 1407 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin on 10:12 - May 4 by paulparker

They did try to sign him to a deal after the play-offs. That was very well publicised. They tried all season, in fact.
As for Remy, we would never have signed him without that kind of release clause. In retrospect we shouldn't have bothered at all, but I don't think that clause was an awful idea. we'd have received a decent loan fee from Newcastle too I assume. Had we stayed up, which we should have done, except our manager was useless, Remy would have stayed and we'd have got more of our money's worth.
Neither situation ideal, far from it, and Christ knows the mistakes TF and co have made are terrifying, but these two are far from the worst.

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin on 10:55 - May 4 with 1375 viewsJuzzie

Charlie Austin on 23:49 - May 3 by DannytheR

True. I just don't think he'd have ended up contributing much to it.

For me, Austin not leaving us last summer put a question mark against his attitude. Careers in football are short - at 26, don't you want to be playing at the top level any chance you get, instead of dropping back down into the Championship to see out your contract?

The impression you got from reports was that he only pushed through the move to Southampton because it meant he wouldn't have to move house.
[Post edited 3 May 2016 23:50]

Robbie Savage recently said that Le Tissier was the same, not the right 'attitude' because he was happy to stay at Southampton rather than push himself.
As far as I recall, although Spurs and Man Utd were 'interested', Chelsea were the only club to make an actual offer (around a £10m transfer fee I think) and he wasn't interested.

Well, I think that's entirely down to the player what they want to do with their career. I don't particularly want to be the MD of my company, does that mean I have a bad attitude?

Who can blame him from wanting to turn down Leicester? They survived and many clubs have gone on a good run at the end of the season to keep them up, doesn't always mean they'll be Champions next season. No one could have foreseen this.

Besides, it's clear he's on a stonking good wedge at Southampton, something like a £2m signing on fee and supposedly upwards of £60k a week on a 4 1/2 year contract. He'll amass something like £16m, that's on top of what he got from QPR.

He's made for life with a nice family etc. Maybe globe trotting and being the next Messi, Bale, Ronaldo etc with modelling, advertising, clothing/jewellery/eau de toilette contracts is just not for him.

[Post edited 4 May 2016 11:02]
Charlie Austin on 10:58 - May 4 with 1364 viewspaulparker

Charlie Austin on 10:35 - May 4 by Antti_Heinola

They did try to sign him to a deal after the play-offs. That was very well publicised. They tried all season, in fact.
As for Remy, we would never have signed him without that kind of release clause. In retrospect we shouldn't have bothered at all, but I don't think that clause was an awful idea. we'd have received a decent loan fee from Newcastle too I assume. Had we stayed up, which we should have done, except our manager was useless, Remy would have stayed and we'd have got more of our money's worth.
Neither situation ideal, far from it, and Christ knows the mistakes TF and co have made are terrifying, but these two are far from the worst.

the fact that we are saying that letting two potential 20 million players leave for virtually nothing is not the worst thing TF has done just about sums up the shambles that we are/were under him
I'l take your word for it that we offered Austin a deal after Wembley because I cannot remember one report on it
other clubs get top whack for there players , wolves got 10 million for Afobe in just under half a season , Norwich got 7 million for Grabban , we are seen as soft touch when it comes to selling players thanks to uncle tone

Charlie Austin on 11:02 - May 4 with 1346 viewsDiscodroids

Charlie Austin on 10:58 - May 4 by paulparker

the fact that we are saying that letting two potential 20 million players leave for virtually nothing is not the worst thing TF has done just about sums up the shambles that we are/were under him
I'l take your word for it that we offered Austin a deal after Wembley because I cannot remember one report on it
other clubs get top whack for there players , wolves got 10 million for Afobe in just under half a season , Norwich got 7 million for Grabban , we are seen as soft touch when it comes to selling players thanks to uncle tone

Andre gray Brentford to Burnley . less than 50 games for Brentford £ 6 million.

Mind you having said that PP, wtf has happened to Austin.. i havent heard his name since he scored the winner at OT.
[Post edited 4 May 2016 11:04]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Charlie Austin on 11:05 - May 4 with 1334 viewsJuzzie

Charlie Austin on 11:02 - May 4 by Discodroids

Andre gray Brentford to Burnley . less than 50 games for Brentford £ 6 million.

Mind you having said that PP, wtf has happened to Austin.. i havent heard his name since he scored the winner at OT.
[Post edited 4 May 2016 11:04]

Andre Gray signed a 3 year deal with Brentford in June 2014. In August 2015 he signed for Burnley so still had 2 years on his contract rather than the 6 months Austin had.
This is the key thing that sets the fee, how much is left on the contract as much as what the player is 'worth'.
Charlie Austin on 11:08 - May 4 with 1323 viewshoof_hearted

Brentford mugs. Tony would've paid £10m easily.

The value of a player is just an unscientific formula based on the length of the remaining contract, the number and wealth of prospective buyers and the agreement of the player to leave.

We now seem to be tying up decent young players on longer contracts which is the old QPR way of being a selling club to finance us playing at a level above our means.
Charlie Austin on 11:09 - May 4 with 1323 viewsJuzzie

Charlie Austin on 10:58 - May 4 by paulparker

From Nov 2014

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/charlie-austin-set-to-earn-over-50000-a

From Dec 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2883438/Charlie-Austin-talks-n

From Sept 2015

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/qpr-plan-charlie-austin-rel

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qprs-charlie-austin-

These took 30 secs to find on Google.

I'm not TF fan but it does make me laugh when people (not suggesting you PP!) saying, the club didn't try this or that when something didn't happen. How do they know the club didn't try? Just because it didn't happen doesn't necessarily mean they didn't try. Just lots of assumptions.

[Post edited 4 May 2016 11:21]
Charlie Austin on 11:10 - May 4 with 1316 viewsDiscodroids

Oh well Juzzie, i went through all this on here at the time of charlies sale . it only gets me all hot under the collar like a backbench tory with his mickey out at the bottom of a mcdonalds muti coloured ball pen. its done. its over. I Wish nothing but the best for Charlie.

I still think it was a weasel deal by a very very weak and easily manipulated Chairman, but like tears in the rain ..its over. We'rve got a pony tailed mervyn day playing up front now, so i cant complain to much.
[Post edited 4 May 2016 11:12]

Charlie Austin on 11:16 - May 4 with 1277 viewshoof_hearted

I read somewhere that Dele Ali had been put on a 5 year contract on £20k a week. No doubt he'll be renegotiating after 3 but that is the way to do it. I think Sandro was on less than most of our squad before we overpaid him. Townsend for sure, at that time.

Sir Les (last seen at Stevenage v AFC Wimbledon with Chris Ramsey on Saturday) and Hoos are pulling the strings now. We're going in the right direction but it's not instant.
Charlie Austin on 11:20 - May 4 with 1269 viewsJuzzie

I agree it wasn't particularly brilliant but I do think it was done the best way that could have happened.

We'd just come down, Leicester were the only club to make an offer which was below what we wanted.

Yes, it was a gamble but the club had to be seen to be trying for promotion and selling Austin in the summer cheaply would have meant promotion was definitely never going to happen and people would have criticsed the club for selling their only big asset on the cheap.

He was kept on with a view to seeing how things were come January. It was clear by then that we weren't going to go up even with Austin so we had to sell. Southampton rubbed their hands knowing they could offer a small transfer fee (plus £16m+ in fees/salary to Austin so it still cost them circa £20m)

The best options would have been: a) sell him in the summer for £15m+ (no one offered that, out of our hands) or b) we're in the top 6 come January and he stays and gets us up (still many obstacles that may prevent that then we'd lose him for nothing) and we can offer him a new deal now being in the PL.

Football is a gamble and players being transferred for huge amounts and on huge salaries is just making a farce of the game.

[Post edited 4 May 2016 13:07]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024