Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baseball Thread.. 23:24 - Apr 26 with 25578 viewsthame_hoops

I know there's a few of you American R's and a few of us here that like American sports, now it's baseball season, who do you follow?

Myself, I'm an Orioles fan, heading out to Baltimore next Thursday for the Oakland A's home series

Go O's
Baseball Thread.. on 02:59 - Apr 28 with 3370 viewsDylanP

Washington National s and the LA Dodgers

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Baseball Thread.. on 05:42 - Apr 28 with 3349 viewsLadbrokeR

I sat and watched the film money ball the other night. It held my interest but my enjoyment was hindered by the the basis fact that I don't really understand baseball
Baseball Thread.. on 09:55 - Apr 28 with 3325 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 05:42 - Apr 28 by LadbrokeR

I sat and watched the film money ball the other night. It held my interest but my enjoyment was hindered by the the basis fact that I don't really understand baseball

The same with me and Chariots of Fire.

Either they were cheating or Ben Hur was.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Baseball Thread.. on 12:20 - Apr 28 with 3304 viewswillis1980

Baseball Thread.. on 11:22 - Apr 27 by PlanetHonneywood

I think because its really rounders and we play cricket, baseball is an American sport that is easier to like.

Been to a few games at Fenway, Giants and from my time living in Atlanta, I was more than a regular at Turner Field.

If you haven't been to a baseball game and what an insight, then next time you go to a QPR game; eat, drink and chat to the folks beside you for 70 minutes, whereupon you stand up have a stretch and then take some real interest for the last two innings/20 minutes.

the all american game actually hails from Surrey, both cricket and baseball arrived at the same time it just so happens that baseball was the more popular. The first international cricket test match USA v Canada as far as I can remember. There was a great exhibition about baseball and cricket at Lords 1 or 2 yrs ago.

Ive always been a SF Giants with a soft spot for the Mets (this is a great read for those interested https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Guys-Won-Championship-Uniform/dp/0062097636)

When we moved my mum sold my extensive baseball card collection for the equivilant of a fiver, this included a frank thomas sat in the dugout flicking off the coach and a ken griffey jnr rookie card amonst other greats!!!

My heart sank when I found out my childhood heroes like jose conseca barry bonds mark mcgwire were cheats
Baseball Thread.. on 13:16 - Apr 28 with 3291 viewsMrSheen

Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

I'm about to commit sacrilege here but...if they ever made me Commissioner of Baseball I'd reduce the number of games. It's just too many. I'd knock it down to about 100. Watching the majority of games of a 162 season is bad for the brain. By the time the weather gets hot you're firmly entrenched in a daily habit of lying on the sofa like a dead fish with no purpose in life or memory of recent events. And if your team is shyte (like mine has been for most of the last 15 years) it's even worse - the West Coast road trips for example - going to bed at one o'clock in the morning every night for a week after another last minute bullpen fcuk-up. Insanity. At least with Rangers there's a chance to recover a bit between body blows. 100 games is more than enough.

I agree with you. I went to my first US game last season, saw the Red Sox squeak a low-scoring win at Yankee Stadium. Instead of it being a big triumph/disaster, it was "Oh well, we'll beat them tomorrow".

I've been to Japanese baseball a few times. Hearing the same few songs repeated over and over to the accompaniment of plastic clappers, regardless of the game situation, gets a bit tedious. Meiji Stadium, home of the Yakult Swallows in Tokyo, is a lovely spot to watch a game though, and the beer ladies keep coming.
Baseball Thread.. on 14:39 - Apr 28 with 3261 viewsthame_hoops

Baseball Thread.. on 13:16 - Apr 28 by MrSheen

I agree with you. I went to my first US game last season, saw the Red Sox squeak a low-scoring win at Yankee Stadium. Instead of it being a big triumph/disaster, it was "Oh well, we'll beat them tomorrow".

I've been to Japanese baseball a few times. Hearing the same few songs repeated over and over to the accompaniment of plastic clappers, regardless of the game situation, gets a bit tedious. Meiji Stadium, home of the Yakult Swallows in Tokyo, is a lovely spot to watch a game though, and the beer ladies keep coming.

we went to the new yankee stadium in august, was an excellant choice of food and beer, even gluten free buns and beer (mrs has an allergy) stadiums here could learn from it
Baseball Thread.. on 14:48 - Apr 28 with 3258 viewsMrSheen

Baseball Thread.. on 14:39 - Apr 28 by thame_hoops

we went to the new yankee stadium in august, was an excellant choice of food and beer, even gluten free buns and beer (mrs has an allergy) stadiums here could learn from it

I missed the one home run of the night as I was in a 20 minute hot dog queue. And the "beer of the world" on offer was Newcastle Brown.
Baseball Thread.. on 15:36 - Apr 28 with 3246 viewsBoston

Baseball Thread.. on 12:20 - Apr 28 by willis1980

the all american game actually hails from Surrey, both cricket and baseball arrived at the same time it just so happens that baseball was the more popular. The first international cricket test match USA v Canada as far as I can remember. There was a great exhibition about baseball and cricket at Lords 1 or 2 yrs ago.

Ive always been a SF Giants with a soft spot for the Mets (this is a great read for those interested https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bad-Guys-Won-Championship-Uniform/dp/0062097636)

When we moved my mum sold my extensive baseball card collection for the equivilant of a fiver, this included a frank thomas sat in the dugout flicking off the coach and a ken griffey jnr rookie card amonst other greats!!!

My heart sank when I found out my childhood heroes like jose conseca barry bonds mark mcgwire were cheats

One of my current projects involved gutting out and scrapping all the possessions in a large house before we commenced renovations. The place had been owned by a bloke who went doo lally and had been something of a recluse since the mid sixties. I found a lot of interesting stuff when my crew started junking the place, including hundreds of old baseball card. I checked the web sites and realized I'd make a few quid if I was careful. Presently selling one online every couple of weeks in an effort to not diminish their value, so far so good.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2016 15:38]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Baseball Thread.. on 15:45 - Apr 28 with 3238 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 12:20 - Apr 28 by willis1980

Aw, much debate on the origins of rounders which is still one of the four protected Gaelic Games, all of which are traced back millennia by Irish historians. The problem is that so much of Irish history is oral and anecdotal that no-one can prove whether rounders went from Celts to Anglo-Saxons or vice versa.

One of those things we'll always fight over, because we both want it. Like Louis Walsh, except in reverse.

Baseball Thread.. on 16:05 - Apr 28 with 3222 viewsBoston

Baseball Thread.. on 15:45 - Apr 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Aw, much debate on the origins of rounders which is still one of the four protected Gaelic Games, all of which are traced back millennia by Irish historians. The problem is that so much of Irish history is oral and anecdotal that no-one can prove whether rounders went from Celts to Anglo-Saxons or vice versa.

One of those things we'll always fight over, because we both want it. Like Louis Walsh, except in reverse.

Walsh Louis?

Baseball Thread.. on 20:01 - Apr 28 with 3186 viewswillis1980

Baseball Thread.. on 15:45 - Apr 28 by BrianMcCarthy

Can we add Bono graham norton and big brothers Brian to that list?

I read somewhere that the Dutch are claiming cricket as theirs
Baseball Thread.. on 11:36 - Apr 29 with 3133 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 20:01 - Apr 28 by willis1980

Can we add Bono graham norton and big brothers Brian to that list?

I read somewhere that the Dutch are claiming cricket as theirs

Can we use the Isle of Man as a dumping ground for any Irish that Britain doesn't want?

We're not taking them back. Took us years to get rid of them.

Baseball Thread.. on 01:34 - May 1 with 3101 viewsBoston

Baseball Thread.. on 11:22 - Apr 27 by PlanetHonneywood

I think because its really rounders and we play cricket, baseball is an American sport that is easier to like.

Been to a few games at Fenway, Giants and from my time living in Atlanta, I was more than a regular at Turner Field.

If you haven't been to a baseball game and what an insight, then next time you go to a QPR game; eat, drink and chat to the folks beside you for 70 minutes, whereupon you stand up have a stretch and then take some real interest for the last two innings/20 minutes.

90 minutes! Why did you leave in the top of the fifth?

Baseball Thread.. on 15:36 - May 1 with 3076 viewsade_qpr

Go the trolley dodgers. Fans having to avoid them. It was how Brooklyn got it's nickname. Ken Burns Baseball doco is very good. 10 parts to it.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Baseball Thread.. on 17:22 - May 1 with 3054 viewsBoston

Many years ago I chanced upon two teams playing a game in a London park. I stopped and chatted to an expat American who told me he played for the Golders Green Sox and they were part of a league. Sadly it seems this intriguingly named team no longer exists.,
Oi isawqpratwhitecity, did you also see the baseball?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_in_the_United_Kingdom
[Post edited 1 May 2016 17:25]

Baseball Thread.. on 15:28 - Sep 7 with 2085 viewshopphoops

It's all shaping up nicely over there.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 15:44 - Sep 7 with 2082 viewsbrydesantis

Surprised there is a baseball thread on here, I thought English hated baseball!

I have a partial season ticket for the Cleveland Indians our best season in ages. I think we have a legit shot at getting to the world series. Ironically, if we did make it to the World Series I will be in England during that time. Do they televise playoff games over there out of curiosity?
Baseball Thread.. on 15:52 - Sep 7 with 2078 viewshopphoops

Baseball Thread.. on 15:44 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

Surprised there is a baseball thread on here, I thought English hated baseball!

I have a partial season ticket for the Cleveland Indians our best season in ages. I think we have a legit shot at getting to the world series. Ironically, if we did make it to the World Series I will be in England during that time. Do they televise playoff games over there out of curiosity?

The Indians look pretty complete this year, typical of them to peak at the same moment as the Cubs. You'll be able to watch the games somewhere in London I'd have thought, otherwise it's mlb.tv.

By the way, the QPR equivalent of Major League, only true, is called the Four-Year Plan. It'll be online somewhere.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 15:59 - Sep 7 with 2076 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 20:05 - Apr 27 by thame_hoops

I agree, I'd do the same to the NBA too, you can lose far too many games and still be in contention but I guess reduced games would reduce revenue...

I would agree baseball and NBA season are way too long. Baseball doesn't really bother me as much though. At 162 games it doesn't wear as much because it is basically the only sport going in the summer. Also, you still only get 8 teams (after wild card playoff) with a chance to win. There can be no doubt who deserves a chance after playing a 162 game schedule.

NBA regular season on other hand is a joke. You get 16 teams who make the playoffs, which is over half the league. It's also a grueling schedule on the players with all of the travel and there are many nights you have players on cruise control conserving their energy for another game or for the playoffs.

This season for instance you really only have Cleveland, Golden State and maybe San Antonio with a legit chance to win a title. So what the hell you need an 82 game regular season schedule. I am lucky to be a fan of one of the teams in with a shot but the league really has a problem on its hands imo.
Baseball Thread.. on 16:05 - Sep 7 with 2069 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 15:52 - Sep 7 by hopphoops

The Indians look pretty complete this year, typical of them to peak at the same moment as the Cubs. You'll be able to watch the games somewhere in London I'd have thought, otherwise it's mlb.tv.

By the way, the QPR equivalent of Major League, only true, is called the Four-Year Plan. It'll be online somewhere.

It is really ironic that the Indians and Cubs could meet up in October. If I recall it's the longest title drought for each league (1908 and 1948) I know many neutrals are rooting for that series to happen. Good to know about watching on TV.

Wasn't the QPR 4 year plan when the Italians took over? I recall reading about some elaborate plan to get R's back in the Premier League. By the way I noticed the club went back to the old classic logo. Thank God! I love that logo it's classic the one you had a few years ago looked contrived and hideous imo.
Baseball Thread.. on 16:11 - Sep 7 with 2063 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 16:05 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

It is really ironic that the Indians and Cubs could meet up in October. If I recall it's the longest title drought for each league (1908 and 1948) I know many neutrals are rooting for that series to happen. Good to know about watching on TV.

Wasn't the QPR 4 year plan when the Italians took over? I recall reading about some elaborate plan to get R's back in the Premier League. By the way I noticed the club went back to the old classic logo. Thank God! I love that logo it's classic the one you had a few years ago looked contrived and hideous imo.

I'm (notionally) a Red Sox fans but would love the Cubs to win if the Sox can't.

1908...mind you Rangers have never won the League. So fugg the cubs, really!

Baseball Thread.. on 16:18 - Sep 7 with 2059 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 16:11 - Sep 7 by BrianMcCarthy

I'm (notionally) a Red Sox fans but would love the Cubs to win if the Sox can't.

1908...mind you Rangers have never won the League. So fugg the cubs, really!

I admittedly hate the Red Sox but their lineup scares me I would hope we avoid them in the playoffs. (That is if the Indians make it, I shouldn't get ahead of myself as Detroit has been red hot)
Baseball Thread.. on 17:14 - Sep 7 with 2039 viewsBoston

Baseball Thread.. on 16:18 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

I admittedly hate the Red Sox but their lineup scares me I would hope we avoid them in the playoffs. (That is if the Indians make it, I shouldn't get ahead of myself as Detroit has been red hot)

Aw go set your river on fire.

Baseball Thread.. on 17:53 - Sep 7 with 2017 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 16:18 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

The Sox are an odd team this year, aren't they? They're smashing teams with great hitting and steady pitching one day, then the next losing a low-scoring one-run game against a poor pitcher. They have me bewitched, befuddled and bollixed as Behan might have said,

Baseball Thread.. on 18:01 - Sep 7 with 2014 viewsessextaxiboy

I know nothing about it but of all the American sports it is the one that interests me most.

I am in the enviable position of being able to pick a team .

For those ITK are there any teams a bit like Rangers ? Not to big but with aspirations and capable of beating the odd giant , some larger than life characters (arrogant talented maverick types ) . The odd scandal ....not much cash .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024