Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baseball Thread.. 23:24 - Apr 26 with 25577 viewsthame_hoops

I know there's a few of you American R's and a few of us here that like American sports, now it's baseball season, who do you follow?

Myself, I'm an Orioles fan, heading out to Baltimore next Thursday for the Oakland A's home series

Go O's
Baseball Thread.. on 20:03 - Oct 21 with 3013 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm a few days behind but plan to catch up on a few already-played games this weekend. Will be hoping for Cleveland and the Cubs to pull through.

In the meantime - if you don't mind the Red Sox angle - here's a piece I read about David Ortiz. It takes a while to get going but I think it's written beautifully and is as honest an insight into the Boston-New York rivalry as I've come across.*

*The main reason I follow the Red Sox is because I have a beloved Uncle who lives there (the fact that I found out years later that he actually became a fan of the hated Yankees is best left to one side for now). The reason I connected with the Sox having found them was because of the underdog feeling immediately clicking in my brain (Rangers - underdogs to Chelsea) and that second-city vibe ( I'm from Cork - superior but not bigger than Dublin), a club coming close but not getting it done ('76 and '86 for Rangers, umpteen times for the Sox) and - though I hate to admit this - Red Sox fans and Rangers fans share one common trait: the blind stupid love and loyalty to travel any day, night, distance or psychological leap to shower love and abuse on their team and self-pity on themselves.

Maybe it's just me, but this article hit a lot of historical and emotional notes pitch-perfect.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2016/10/21/13239880/celebrating-david-ortiz-greate

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Baseball Thread.. on 00:21 - Oct 22 with 2972 viewsBoston

It's going to be difficult to replace Ortiz, expect to see Adel Taarabt around Fenway come the Spring.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Baseball Thread.. on 01:04 - Oct 22 with 2962 viewsbob566

Come on the cubs. Unless you're a white Sox fan surely you're up for the Cubs
Baseball Thread.. on 04:36 - Oct 23 with 2931 viewsMatch82

[Post edited 23 Oct 2016 4:37]
Baseball Thread.. on 12:52 - Oct 24 with 2894 viewsbrydesantis

Game 1 tomorrow I cannot wait cmon the Tribe! I was fortunate enough to get 3 tickets for game 1 tomorrow. Resisting the urge to sell them for 10X what I paid for them, but this would be my first World Series game and who knows when it will happen again?!

On paper you have to give the edge to the Cubs but this Indians team seems to find a way and having home field advantage makes a big difference. I feel like we have to win both these first two to have a good chance at winning the series.

The long layoff will help with our pitching. Bauer's finger should be healed and Salazar has now made a couple of simulated starts and should figure at some point.
Baseball Thread.. on 09:34 - Oct 25 with 2862 viewsKonk

No offence Brydesantis, because I know you’ve waited a long time for a World series too, but I really hope the Cubs go on and win it. I know a huge Cubs fan and I’ve been thinking of him a lot recently — I’m glad he moved back home in time for this — he grew up a five minute walk from Wrigley and his family are all lifelong season ticket holders, so I know he’ll have been at the games at Wrigley. In my experience, Chicago’s a great city with great people and we met so many lovely, passionate Cubs fans that I'd be chuffed to bits if they win.

When Fulham beat Juventus 4-1 after being 4-1 down on aggregate early in the 2nd leg and then beat Hamburg to get to the Europa League final, I spent the next few days randomly bursting into tears at work, on the bus etc. You wait a long time for a bit of success and when it finally comes, it’s all the sweeter. Everyone deserves to see their team win something once in their lifetime. Just watching the faces in the crowd in this video and I found myself sobbing into my Shreddies this morning — I am officially the most soppy ba stard in the world.

With Hibs finally winning the Scottish cup after 114 years and 10 losing appearances in the final, maybe it’s the Cubs’ year too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Baseball Thread.. on 13:11 - Oct 25 with 2849 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 09:34 - Oct 25 by Konk

No offence Brydesantis, because I know you’ve waited a long time for a World series too, but I really hope the Cubs go on and win it. I know a huge Cubs fan and I’ve been thinking of him a lot recently — I’m glad he moved back home in time for this — he grew up a five minute walk from Wrigley and his family are all lifelong season ticket holders, so I know he’ll have been at the games at Wrigley. In my experience, Chicago’s a great city with great people and we met so many lovely, passionate Cubs fans that I'd be chuffed to bits if they win.

When Fulham beat Juventus 4-1 after being 4-1 down on aggregate early in the 2nd leg and then beat Hamburg to get to the Europa League final, I spent the next few days randomly bursting into tears at work, on the bus etc. You wait a long time for a bit of success and when it finally comes, it’s all the sweeter. Everyone deserves to see their team win something once in their lifetime. Just watching the faces in the crowd in this video and I found myself sobbing into my Shreddies this morning — I am officially the most soppy ba stard in the world.

With Hibs finally winning the Scottish cup after 114 years and 10 losing appearances in the final, maybe it’s the Cubs’ year too.

Understandable a lot of Cubs fans will have waited a lifetime for this. Looking on the bright side, someone will end there long drought in a weeks time. I have been to Wrigley a few times and Chicago in general and they are a good bunch of fans and a great city. I wish them nothing but the best (except for this week ha)
Baseball Thread.. on 20:56 - Oct 25 with 2818 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Watched that game live, Konk, and it was worth the sleepless night just to see the celebrations. Found myself humming "Go Cubs, Go" the following day!

Sorry Bry, but the Cubs have waited longer!

Login to get fewer ads

Baseball Thread.. on 02:22 - Oct 26 with 2789 viewsBoston

Just want to chip in ....it's the Tribe for me.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Baseball Thread.. on 08:08 - Oct 26 with 2758 viewsNewEnglandR

If Mayo had got rid of their curse in the All Ireland replay instead of losing by the narrowest of margins I'd have said the Cubs for the hatrick but the way the Indians destroyed the Red Sox and Blue Jays they are very much the form team.
Baseball Thread.. on 18:37 - Oct 28 with 2717 viewsMatch82

Standing room tickets for tonight's game at Wrigley going for $2k upwards. Bars in the area around Wrigley charging $200 just to get in. This city has gone insane.

People already queueing up to get in 6 hours before it starts, it's like they aren't aware that the real match starts in an hour and is between two teams in West London (ish)
Baseball Thread.. on 18:49 - Oct 28 with 2710 viewshopphoops

Baseball Thread.. on 02:22 - Oct 26 by Boston

Just want to chip in ....it's the Tribe for me.

Tribe for me too, long live the curse of the goat.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 20:39 - Oct 28 with 2688 viewsthame_hoops

Baseball Thread.. on 18:37 - Oct 28 by Match82

Standing room tickets for tonight's game at Wrigley going for $2k upwards. Bars in the area around Wrigley charging $200 just to get in. This city has gone insane.

People already queueing up to get in 6 hours before it starts, it's like they aren't aware that the real match starts in an hour and is between two teams in West London (ish)

I saw some bars in wrigleyville opened at 7am and were packed solid, 13 hours before game time!

Saw a nice story of an old guy who'd seen the last WS game in 1945 and took his original ticket stub with him to tonight's game.

Got to fancy the cubs now they have swung the home field advantage.

On another note, should they change the all star game winner deciding home field advantage ?
Baseball Thread.. on 08:45 - Oct 30 with 2651 viewsbrydesantis

3-1 to the Cleveland boys!!! One more cmon
Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Nov 2 with 2610 viewsthame_hoops

Game 7 tonight, who you got? I'm going for the cubs!
Baseball Thread.. on 02:57 - Nov 3 with 2568 viewsstowmarketrange

Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Nov 2 by thame_hoops

Game 7 tonight, who you got? I'm going for the cubs!

It looks like the cubs have won it for the first time since our charity shield appearance.Or have I just jinxed them?
Baseball Thread.. on 03:45 - Nov 3 with 2564 viewsstowmarketrange

Baseball Thread.. on 02:57 - Nov 3 by stowmarketrange

It looks like the cubs have won it for the first time since our charity shield appearance.Or have I just jinxed them?

Spoke too soon.Now 6-6 in the bottom of the 9th.
Baseball Thread.. on 05:10 - Nov 3 with 2556 viewsMatch82

Unbelievable game and series.
Baseball Thread.. on 07:17 - Nov 3 with 2536 viewskingsburyR

Baseball Thread.. on 05:10 - Nov 3 by Match82

Unbelievable game and series.

Great game this morning.

At work already...I'm knackered.

It's going to be a long day!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Baseball Thread.. on 08:25 - Nov 3 with 2526 viewsthame_hoops

Baseball Thread.. on 07:17 - Nov 3 by kingsburyR

Great game this morning.

At work already...I'm knackered.

It's going to be a long day!!!

So tired, what a game and series
Baseball Thread.. on 09:33 - Nov 3 with 2506 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Have a lot of ties to Chicago and have three great friends there. I'm so pleased for them, wonderful scenes in the city right now.
Baseball Thread.. on 10:41 - Nov 3 with 2492 viewshopphoops

Amazing series and fair play to the Cubs, but baseball is the poorer for their victory. Take away their famous losing record and they're just another White Sox

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 10:51 - Nov 3 with 2487 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Superb series and superb game last night/this morning/yawwwwwn...

Terry Francona's interview after the game was a masterclass in graciousness. Glad the Cubs won but I felt for Francona. A gent.

Baseball Thread.. on 12:41 - Nov 3 with 2461 viewsMrSheen

179 games in the season and they still give you overtime in the last one. Where else will you find value for money like that?
Baseball Thread.. on 23:30 - Nov 3 with 2407 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17961684/chicago-cubs-fans-celebrate-game-7-v

I saw that LFW retweeted this and read it. It's excellent.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024