Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baseball Thread.. 23:24 - Apr 26 with 25580 viewsthame_hoops

I know there's a few of you American R's and a few of us here that like American sports, now it's baseball season, who do you follow?

Myself, I'm an Orioles fan, heading out to Baltimore next Thursday for the Oakland A's home series

Go O's
Baseball Thread.. on 23:31 - Apr 26 with 11072 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Love baseball. I'm a Red Sox fan. I try to watch as many games as I can - highlights or full games. I'm about a week behind at the moment, though - so no spoilers, please!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Baseball Thread.. on 23:50 - Apr 26 with 11064 viewsCamberleyR

Been following the Detroit Tigers since about 1987 who for about 20 years after were mostly crap.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Baseball Thread.. on 02:45 - Apr 27 with 11035 viewsBoston

I enjoy an occasional game at Fenway Park. Basically, warm weather, relaxing, and there is no restriction on drinking within site of the pitch That would be the Boston Red Sox for those who aren't familiar with the game.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Baseball Thread.. on 02:58 - Apr 27 with 11028 viewsBklynRanger

If I may...

Baseball Thread.. on 08:50 - Apr 27 with 10970 viewshopphoops

I'm always up for a bit of O's magic, looking forwards to Thame's just back thread I am.

I watch more than I should, it's a disaster for my sleep pattern!

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 09:00 - Apr 27 with 10963 viewsdsw2509

I don't follow a particular team (but I do have a soft spot for the Yankees-sorry!). The 'Subway Series' (Yankees v. Mets) in 2000 was unreal. I was in NY when it was on (no, I didn't get a ticket!) and everyone was on one side or the other. All the bars were showing it and they were packed.

I like the (mostly) warm weather, the beer and hot dogs at seat.

Best moment-saw Yankees pull out a win in the bottom of the 9th with successive homers. The place went mad. Everyone was singing on the subway back to Manhattan. Happy days.
Baseball Thread.. on 09:02 - Apr 27 with 10959 viewsrongould

I have watched a few Orioles games.
Saw Hammering Hank at Shea
Saw the Yankees play Boston,but wen only because it was Old Hat Day

Every fan got the hat of a historic team.

You can guess mine... I really gave up Baseball when "Dem Bums" left Ebbets Field.
Baseball Thread.. on 10:30 - Apr 27 with 10927 viewsdsw2509

Baseball Thread.. on 09:02 - Apr 27 by rongould

You can guess mine... I really gave up Baseball when "Dem Bums" left Ebbets Field.

I saw that movie about Jackie Robinson playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers on an aeroplane. It was tremendous. One of the freeways in Brooklyn is now called the 'Jackie Robinson Parkway'.

Ironically my first baseball game was at the LA Dodgers,when Mike Piazza was still playing for them. 'The Piazza Man always delivers'-he did that day, as I recall.

I could cope with living in the US if I could go to baseball regularly. Not interested in the other sports over there. I went to one NFL game at Giants Stadium. It was freezing cold, and the stadium emptied out as the winning visitors played out time. Went on for ages. Ice hockey at Madison Square Garden wasn't bad though. At least the fights are entertaining.
Login to get fewer ads

Baseball Thread.. on 11:06 - Apr 27 with 10919 viewsSimonJames

I never supported a team, but I used to love playing it on summer evenings when I was a lad in Canada.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Baseball Thread.. on 11:22 - Apr 27 with 10913 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think because its really rounders and we play cricket, baseball is an American sport that is easier to like.

Been to a few games at Fenway, Giants and from my time living in Atlanta, I was more than a regular at Turner Field.

If you haven't been to a baseball game and what an insight, then next time you go to a QPR game; eat, drink and chat to the folks beside you for 70 minutes, whereupon you stand up have a stretch and then take some real interest for the last two innings/20 minutes.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Baseball Thread.. on 11:36 - Apr 27 with 10905 viewsHendonHoop

Chicago Cubs for me. Always has been. " Take me out to the Ball Game....."
Baseball Thread.. on 11:40 - Apr 27 with 10900 viewsLongsufferingR

Lived in Canada for a couple of years in the late 70s and Montreal Expos were my team. Used to love a double header with ample supplies of hot dogs delivered to your seat (oo-er missus).

Sadly, they no longer exist and I believe the franchise became the Washington Nationals.
Baseball Thread.. on 12:55 - Apr 27 with 10860 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 09:02 - Apr 27 by rongould

My second team are the Brooklyn Dodgers, dislike the LA version immensely.

Read 'The Boys of Summer' many years ago and fell in love with the Bums.

Baseball Thread.. on 17:00 - Apr 27 with 10813 viewshopphoops

The best thing about baseball is you get a match every day, so no need to find anything else to talk about.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 17:06 - Apr 27 with 10807 viewsDorse

It's just rounders. You know it. I know it. They all know it.

Edit - is that Trolling? Ooooh, check me out.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2016 17:07]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Baseball Thread.. on 17:23 - Apr 27 with 10787 viewsSimonJames

Baseball Thread.. on 17:06 - Apr 27 by Dorse

Nothing wrong with rounders either.

(And teachers can easily be replaced with YouTube videos )

Baseball Thread.. on 18:11 - Apr 27 with 10767 viewsBoston

Baseball Thread.. on 17:23 - Apr 27 by SimonJames

Yeah but, the kids would miss out on all the hands on stuff, like sex.

Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Apr 27 with 10765 viewsBklynRanger

Baseball Thread.. on 17:00 - Apr 27 by hopphoops

The best thing about baseball is you get a match every day, so no need to find anything else to talk about.

I'm about to commit sacrilege here but...if they ever made me Commissioner of Baseball I'd reduce the number of games. It's just too many. I'd knock it down to about 100. Watching the majority of games of a 162 season is bad for the brain. By the time the weather gets hot you're firmly entrenched in a daily habit of lying on the sofa like a dead fish with no purpose in life or memory of recent events. And if your team is shyte (like mine has been for most of the last 15 years) it's even worse - the West Coast road trips for example - going to bed at one o'clock in the morning every night for a week after another last minute bullpen fcuk-up. Insanity. At least with Rangers there's a chance to recover a bit between body blows. 100 games is more than enough.
Baseball Thread.. on 18:30 - Apr 27 with 10757 viewsDorse

Baseball Thread.. on 17:23 - Apr 27 by SimonJames

I think you'll find that I was replaced by a coat rack. Not even a good one.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Baseball Thread.. on 20:05 - Apr 27 with 10720 viewsthame_hoops

Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Apr 27 by BklynRanger

I'm about to commit sacrilege here but...if they ever made me Commissioner of Baseball I'd reduce the number of games. It's just too many. I'd knock it down to about 100. Watching the majority of games of a 162 season is bad for the brain. By the time the weather gets hot you're firmly entrenched in a daily habit of lying on the sofa like a dead fish with no purpose in life or memory of recent events. And if your team is shyte (like mine has been for most of the last 15 years) it's even worse - the West Coast road trips for example - going to bed at one o'clock in the morning every night for a week after another last minute bullpen fcuk-up. Insanity. At least with Rangers there's a chance to recover a bit between body blows. 100 games is more than enough.

I agree, I'd do the same to the NBA too, you can lose far too many games and still be in contention but I guess reduced games would reduce revenue...
Baseball Thread.. on 22:35 - Apr 27 with 10676 viewsSimonJames

Baseball Thread.. on 18:11 - Apr 27 by Boston

Yeah but, the kids would miss out on all the hands on stuff, like sex.

My missus is a teacher and I'm still missing out on all the hands on stuff!

Baseball Thread.. on 23:37 - Apr 27 with 10658 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 17:06 - Apr 27 by Dorse

It IS Rounders.

My sister and I once spent a day at a Boston bar counter watching baseball and asking - oh-so-innocently - a succession of local customers who happened to sit beside us to explain for us poor folk the differences between baseball and that-other-game-whatchacallit-rounders-is-it.

After far too many hours one of them finally caught on to the wind-up. God love them.

Mind you, not one of them could tell us a single difference. Apart from the spelling.

Baseball Thread.. on 23:45 - Apr 27 with 10657 viewsMatch82

Baseball Thread.. on 20:05 - Apr 27 by thame_hoops

I agree, I'd do the same to the NBA too, you can lose far too many games and still be in contention but I guess reduced games would reduce revenue...

Bingo. Everyone knows reducing the number of games would make the leagues more engaging overall, better for overall player health and more accessible to the general population.

But owners wouldn't make as much money, so they'll never vote for it.

PS Go Cubbies
Baseball Thread.. on 01:47 - Apr 28 with 10634 viewsBoston

Bar owners, sponsors and club employees would be up in arms at the loss of revenue.

Rounders, is unknown in America.

Baseball Thread.. on 02:52 - Apr 28 with 10628 viewsBklynRanger

I know that it's mainly about money but not completely. They'd have no problems raising ticket prices of games if they were reduced etc etc. Bars would complain but it's not up to them. Baseball is an everyday sport too though and to change that would be a big decision.
I'll give it 70% money 30% tradition.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024