Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baseball Thread.. 23:24 - Apr 26 with 26418 viewsthame_hoops

I know there's a few of you American R's and a few of us here that like American sports, now it's baseball season, who do you follow?

Myself, I'm an Orioles fan, heading out to Baltimore next Thursday for the Oakland A's home series

Go O's
Baseball Thread.. on 18:02 - Sep 7 with 2352 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 17:53 - Sep 7 by BrianMcCarthy

The Sox are an odd team this year, aren't they? They're smashing teams with great hitting and steady pitching one day, then the next losing a low-scoring one-run game against a poor pitcher. They have me bewitched, befuddled and bollixed as Behan might have said,

Yes, I actually think Boston, Toronto, Baltimore and Texas are all very similar. They all have great hitting lineups but their starting pitching is very inconsistent. Each one of them only has 1 starter or two they can really rely on.

Traditionally, pitching carries you farther in the playoffs then hitting. That is probably why Indians have the best odds to get to the World Series out of the AL at the moment. However, it doesn't always work out that way. It's part of the reason MLB playoffs are really exciting as once your team gets in it really is a crap shoot on who gets hot at the right time.
Baseball Thread.. on 18:08 - Sep 7 with 2350 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 18:01 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

I know nothing about it but of all the American sports it is the one that interests me most.

I am in the enviable position of being able to pick a team .

For those ITK are there any teams a bit like Rangers ? Not to big but with aspirations and capable of beating the odd giant , some larger than life characters (arrogant talented maverick types ) . The odd scandal ....not much cash .

It would have to be my Cleveland Indians. 22nd out of 30 teams in payroll and haven't won the league in 68 years. Yet over the years they have been oh so close! In recent memory (2007) beat the Yankees in the division series and were 3-1 up on the Red Sox in teh ALCS only to blow it in glorious fashion. Before that lost in the World Series in 1995 and 1997. Other than that a lot of seasons of shit haha

As for scandals one of our pitchers from playioff run in 2007 was found out to have falsified his birth certificate. Fausto Carmona then became Roberto Hernandez and aged 5 years with his newly found birth certificate haha
[Post edited 7 Sep 2016 18:11]
Baseball Thread.. on 18:16 - Sep 7 with 2344 viewsessextaxiboy

Baseball Thread.. on 18:08 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

It would have to be my Cleveland Indians. 22nd out of 30 teams in payroll and haven't won the league in 68 years. Yet over the years they have been oh so close! In recent memory (2007) beat the Yankees in the division series and were 3-1 up on the Red Sox in teh ALCS only to blow it in glorious fashion. Before that lost in the World Series in 1995 and 1997. Other than that a lot of seasons of shit haha

As for scandals one of our pitchers from playioff run in 2007 was found out to have falsified his birth certificate. Fausto Carmona then became Roberto Hernandez and aged 5 years with his newly found birth certificate haha
[Post edited 7 Sep 2016 18:11]

I will do some research ,, thanks ,,,, er i dont have to use words like "crap shoot " do I
Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Sep 7 with 2341 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 18:16 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

I will do some research ,, thanks ,,,, er i dont have to use words like "crap shoot " do I

haha feel free to laugh at my american analogies
Baseball Thread.. on 18:28 - Sep 7 with 2336 viewsessextaxiboy

Baseball Thread.. on 18:20 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

haha feel free to laugh at my american analogies

Just had a look , A season ticket is a thousand bucks !! Jeez... (getting into it ) .

Is there some sort of highlights show ? ...... "Pitch Of The Day" maybe ? shown here in the UK . I dont think I can make every home game ..
Baseball Thread.. on 18:40 - Sep 7 with 2322 viewsBoston

Baseball Thread.. on 18:16 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

No, but 'fly ball' might produce a few comedy moments.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Baseball Thread.. on 19:29 - Sep 7 with 2296 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 18:28 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

Just had a look , A season ticket is a thousand bucks !! Jeez... (getting into it ) .

Is there some sort of highlights show ? ...... "Pitch Of The Day" maybe ? shown here in the UK . I dont think I can make every home game ..

yeah 81 home games is a lot to ask of anyone with an actual life and a job. I do a 20 game season ticket which is still $1,600. I wouldn't even want to know what they cost in Boston or New York!

No Pitch of the Day haha although there are daily recap shows on MLB tv I believe
Baseball Thread.. on 20:30 - Sep 7 with 2282 viewsessextaxiboy

What are the Milwauki Brewers like ? They seem a bit cranky and intetesting .
Login to get fewer ads

Baseball Thread.. on 21:13 - Sep 7 with 2275 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 18:01 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

I know nothing about it but of all the American sports it is the one that interests me most.

I am in the enviable position of being able to pick a team .

For those ITK are there any teams a bit like Rangers ? Not to big but with aspirations and capable of beating the odd giant , some larger than life characters (arrogant talented maverick types ) . The odd scandal ....not much cash .

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=NTk5NjQ3

Unbelievably, somebody's done some work on this!

I don't really know enough about the other franchises, sorry - teams.

I picked Red Sox for the same reason I stuck with Rangers)

1) Family - my dad brought me to Rangers, my Uncle lives in Boston
2) History - both old teams
3) Decent percentage of Irish fans - doesn't matter to me know but did when I was a kid
4) Entertaining
5) Mavericks
6) History of coming close but fugging it up - Red Sox hadn't won the Championship in decades despite incredible near misses. They won it in

Now, the Red Sox have won a few Championships and - to be honest - it's not as much fun.

Maybe the Cubs? Supposedly cursed. Good fanbase. Lovable losers. They have a chance this year.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Baseball Thread.. on 21:23 - Sep 7 with 2273 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 18:28 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

Check out MLB.com. Great value packages, Essex. You can watch games live or on-demand in either full length (which you can skip through easily) condensed (about twenty minutes of highlights) or watch individual highlight clips.

You can watch all MLB games or just your own team's games. You can watch with the home team's presenters or the away team's. Even if you don't subscribe I think, think, that there's a free random game every day.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/

Baseball Thread.. on 22:10 - Sep 7 with 2260 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 20:30 - Sep 7 by essextaxiboy

What are the Milwauki Brewers like ? They seem a bit cranky and intetesting .

Milwaukee is fairly new as baseball teams go. I think founded in the late 1960's. They have never been very good but Milwaukee is the beer and cheese capital of the USA so it's hard not to root for the Brewers!
Baseball Thread.. on 22:22 - Sep 7 with 2258 viewsbrydesantis

Regarding Red Sox fans I always thought they were a good loyal fan base and still are. However, after they won a few titles a large portion of their fans have a real new found arrogance. It's also probably not the loyal fans that have been long suffering to be fair, but the ones who watched the movie Fever Pitch and went out to buy a bunch of Red Sox gear.

It's like all teams I suppose every fan base in any sport has their fair share of idiots. Just the ones I have come across when they play here aren't pleasant to deal with.
Baseball Thread.. on 03:29 - Sep 8 with 2214 viewsMarylandR

Baseball Thread.. on 22:22 - Sep 7 by brydesantis

Regarding Red Sox fans I always thought they were a good loyal fan base and still are. However, after they won a few titles a large portion of their fans have a real new found arrogance. It's also probably not the loyal fans that have been long suffering to be fair, but the ones who watched the movie Fever Pitch and went out to buy a bunch of Red Sox gear.

It's like all teams I suppose every fan base in any sport has their fair share of idiots. Just the ones I have come across when they play here aren't pleasant to deal with.

Lookout...here come the yankees! big sweep! Yes I'm 15 min south of Baltimore...but grew up in Connecticut...hate the red sox, love the yankees. Wish the Orioles would come back down to mediocrity already...mobdro has MLB network if you want a taste of the baseball...
Baseball Thread.. on 10:02 - Sep 8 with 2170 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 03:29 - Sep 8 by MarylandR

Lookout...here come the yankees! big sweep! Yes I'm 15 min south of Baltimore...but grew up in Connecticut...hate the red sox, love the yankees. Wish the Orioles would come back down to mediocrity already...mobdro has MLB network if you want a taste of the baseball...

You can't hate a team that plays in trousers!

Golf, cricket, baseball...the whole thing's too sedate for hate.

Baseball Thread.. on 10:28 - Sep 8 with 2166 viewsessextaxiboy

I have decided its the Brewers for me .

As mentioned beer and cheese are key to their identity , they have never won anything so no accusations of JCL .
Their stadium is named after a beer and what I have seen on You Tube has a decent atmosphere .
Done a bit of research (Wiki) on Wisconsin generally and find they they were the first state to abolish capital punishment way back in the 1800s, an issue that I care about a lot .
I will have a look at the merchandise later although baseball gear always looks a bit Village People to me ... maybe a cap or a sticker for the car window next to the Rangers one .

Er ... Go Brewers !!
Baseball Thread.. on 10:45 - Sep 8 with 2160 viewshopphoops

Baseball Thread.. on 10:28 - Sep 8 by essextaxiboy

As mentioned beer and cheese are key to their identity , they have never won anything so no accusations of JCL .
Their stadium is named after a beer and what I have seen on You Tube has a decent atmosphere .
Done a bit of research (Wiki) on Wisconsin generally and find they they were the first state to abolish capital punishment way back in the 1800s, an issue that I care about a lot .
I will have a look at the merchandise later although baseball gear always looks a bit Village People to me ... maybe a cap or a sticker for the car window next to the Rangers one .

Er ... Go Brewers !!

Good timing - they're a bit rubbish now so obviously you're not glory hunting; but given the MLB system for sharing out and rewarding players, they should be good in a couple of years.

They're famous for their races between sausages in the seventh inning stretch. You'll be needing to choose your favourite sausage too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_Race

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Baseball Thread.. on 10:52 - Sep 8 with 2157 viewsMarylandR

Baseball Thread.. on 10:45 - Sep 8 by hopphoops

Good timing - they're a bit rubbish now so obviously you're not glory hunting; but given the MLB system for sharing out and rewarding players, they should be good in a couple of years.

They're famous for their races between sausages in the seventh inning stretch. You'll be needing to choose your favourite sausage too.

And Bernie Brewer going down the slide after a home run...that's a bit of fun!

You can even go down it yourself...for a price...no refunds!

https://secure.mlb.com/mil/ticketing/bernies_slide.jsp
[Post edited 8 Sep 2016 10:55]
Baseball Thread.. on 10:57 - Sep 8 with 2153 viewsMarylandR

Baseball Thread.. on 10:02 - Sep 8 by BrianMcCarthy

You can't hate a team that plays in trousers!

Golf, cricket, baseball...the whole thing's too sedate for hate.

No, I hate the Red Sox. Sorry, but the rivalry between the Yanks and Sox is like that. I don't hate any other team in MLB. Just the Sox.
Baseball Thread.. on 11:20 - Sep 8 with 2143 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Baseball Thread.. on 10:57 - Sep 8 by MarylandR

No, I hate the Red Sox. Sorry, but the rivalry between the Yanks and Sox is like that. I don't hate any other team in MLB. Just the Sox.

Ya, I know, I'm joking really. I know all about A-Rod slapping the ball and the pretend-fighting between Varitek and A-Rod and many and some oul' lad and the 2004 comeback and all that. It's still a load of rich lads playing on trousers, though.

As much as the Yankees bother me with their bottomless pits of money in a similar way that Man Utd do they're an incredibly well-run club. What they're doing this year is incredible. I've been watching them for the last two weeks in particular. They seemingly went into rebuilding mode and seemingly gave up on this year, but no - here they come anyway. They're a long way off the playoffs in reality but who would bet against them?!

Baseball Thread.. on 11:53 - Sep 8 with 2131 viewsessextaxiboy

Baseball Thread.. on 10:45 - Sep 8 by hopphoops

Think I am going for Stosh Jonjak the Polish banger .

I was strong for Brexit so this shows it wasnt all about immigration for me plus he wears hoops and cool shades .

He is the one on the left BTW
[Post edited 8 Sep 2016 11:55]
Baseball Thread.. on 12:53 - Sep 8 with 2111 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 03:29 - Sep 8 by MarylandR

It is really remarkable what the Yankees are doing. To have a fire sale at the trade deadline and be in the mix!? crazy stuff. I still think they are a long shot to get in the playoffs but never the less it's encouraging signs for the future. Aside from Miller to Indians (thank you for him by the way) nobody else they traded figured into their long term plans. So they collected like 12 top prospects and they are actually playing better. Unfortunately for the rest of the league I think they may be back on their top perch sooner rather than later.
Baseball Thread.. on 14:27 - Sep 8 with 2084 viewsKonk

Baseball Thread.. on 10:28 - Sep 8 by essextaxiboy

Er ... Go Brewers !!

I went to watch Twins v Tigers at Target Field when visiting friends in Minneapolis the other week. I haven’t got much of a clue what’s going on with baseball, but it was the summer holidays and the sentimental idiot in me loves to see parents and grandparents taking kids along to games, whatever the sport. Sunshine, local beers, good company and a couple of bratwursts…happy days. And just like the cricket, at least 50% of the punters didn’t appear to be paying a blind bit of notice to the game. I loved the fact that although it’s a new ball park, they built it in the centre of the city rather than out in the suburbs — all the bars for blocks around were packed on match day and it created a nice atmosphere around town.

On the subject of Wisconsin, we also went up to Yellow Lake/Webster in North Wisconsin to visit my friend’s parents. Up there, every other person seemed to be wearing Twins gear as it’s a lot closer to the Twin Cities than it is Milwaukee, so that tends to be the baseball team that people support, but my mate’s been to see the Brewers a few times when visiting his brother-in-law in Milwaukee and he liked it as a ball park.

Where we were in Wisconsin, If the locals weren’t wearing Twins gear, they were invariably wearing something to do with the Packers, and I got the impression from chatting with locals that it’s considered beyond the pale to even consider supporting another NFL side if you’re from Wisconsin, irrespective of whether you’re closer to the Twin Cities or Chicago than you are to Green Bay. Quite a few Packers-supporting bars dotted around Minneapolis for transplants from Wisconsin, whereas we didn’t see any reference to the Vikings at all in Wisconsin.

Great to visit that part of the world as I’d only previously been to major US cities and it’s obviously very, very different once you get outside the urban centres. Where we were, we saw lots of poverty, lots and lots of hunting and fishing folks, pick-up trucks, and many of the small towns have a depressing/depressed atmosphere where the deprivation is all too obvious. We stayed in Duluth, MN for a weekend and went across to Superior, WI to see where my friend had grown-up and as we drove down her old street and through the town in her Dad’s pick-up truck, all I could think of was Springsteen’s ‘My Hometown”. According to my mate’s Dad, Superior had always been a very blue collar town built around jobs in the docks and the railroads, but had been in steady decline for decades, which was evident on our little tour. That said, his old local, the Anchor bar is a contender for my all-time favourite top ten bars.

Went to Fenway, loved the ball park, but didn’t warm to the Red Sox for some reason. Would love to get to Wrigley Field at some point — Chicago was the first city I visited in the US, we met loads of great people and every one of them told us we had to go watch the Cubs…but the season started the day after we flew back. Since then I’ve worked with a huge Cubs fan who grew up a five minute walk from the Cubs, so what with them being doomed to miss out on glory, playing in a beautiful old ball park and Fulham doing likewise whilst being without a trophy in 137 years, I think I’d have to take them as my team if forced.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Baseball Thread.. on 14:34 - Sep 8 with 2079 viewsloftus77

I’m a San Francisco Giants man, me.

That is, I saw them play at Candlestick Park once in 1990 (Mike Kingery, Jose Uribe, Rob Wilson?). I remember lots of popcorn and “we” lost 1-5 or 1-6 to the Houston Astros.

A lifetime’s devotion was sealed...
Baseball Thread.. on 15:13 - Sep 8 with 2056 viewsbrydesantis

Baseball Thread.. on 14:34 - Sep 8 by loftus77

I’m a San Francisco Giants man, me.

That is, I saw them play at Candlestick Park once in 1990 (Mike Kingery, Jose Uribe, Rob Wilson?). I remember lots of popcorn and “we” lost 1-5 or 1-6 to the Houston Astros.

A lifetime’s devotion was sealed...

From people I know who have gone to the Giants new park it is one of the best if not the best in all of baseball. Candlestick was kind of a dump towards the end so big upgrade! THe new park also sits right on the bay, I hope to visit that park soon.
Baseball Thread.. on 23:14 - Oct 4 with 1931 viewsthame_hoops

POSTSEASON

Let's Go O's! ⚾️
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024