Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Half decent tv 06:36 - Apr 29 with 565504 viewsLadbrokeR

I watched the last episode of line of duty and thought that was good. Undercover has finally grabbed by attention. I quite like some of the investigative programmes Stacey Dooley does. However I can't wait for the next series of people just do nothing.
Half decent tv on 22:39 - Oct 27 with 5163 viewsRanger_Things

Half decent tv on 06:00 - Oct 27 by HAYESBOY

The Peripheral on Amazon has started well.

First episode was very good indeed.
Half decent tv on 09:52 - Oct 28 with 5018 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Half decent tv on 08:02 - Sep 26 by traininvain

Evil bastard but the police don’t come out of it well. They could’ve stopped him countless times but seemed to look the other way for some reason.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LS89ebGA0yo?feature=share
Half decent tv on 09:59 - Oct 28 with 5023 viewsTheChef

Now there is the Lionsgate+ platform as well??

It is truly mind-boggling how they create so much TV content these days - how is it funded and who even has time to watch all this stuff anyway??

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Half decent tv on 01:34 - Oct 30 with 4893 viewshubble

Half decent tv on 06:00 - Oct 27 by HAYESBOY

The Peripheral on Amazon has started well.

Just finished episode 2 and I am loving this so far. Slick, very smart, if it fulfills this early promise it could turn out be the best sci-fi series I've seen in years.
And like all really good drama, it transcends its genre, it's just great viewing.

I think the cast has been really well chosen as well, they all look near-future beautiful in some way. The special effects are simply superb. This is high-quality, high-concept drama, yet really easy on the ear and eye, with a deep backstory that's just working its way to the surface. I am not easily impressed, but this is brilliant. IMHO, of course.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Half decent tv on 03:31 - Oct 30 with 4820 viewssilverbirch

This Is Going To Hurt, on iplayer is fantastic; really moving.
Half decent tv on 08:45 - Oct 30 with 4764 viewsRanger_Things

Half decent tv on 15:45 - Oct 6 by Phildo

Bear on disney is great

Enjoying this. Cheers for the recommendation,I think I’d have overlooked it otherwise.
Half decent tv on 10:33 - Oct 30 with 4711 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 09:59 - Oct 28 by TheChef

Now there is the Lionsgate+ platform as well??

It is truly mind-boggling how they create so much TV content these days - how is it funded and who even has time to watch all this stuff anyway??

Even pre-Covid the film and TV studios resented the streaming services getting rich on their old content. The most popular downloads on Netflix by far used to be The Office and Friends. So when lockdown came and subscriptions soared and cinemas closed, they decided to take their ball away and go it alone. Not only did they have to pad out their new services, but Netflix and Amazon have to dig deeper to replace huge hits and keep subscribers paying.

How long can it continue? Disney seems to be going great, Paramount is struggling, Netflix has cut back (poor Meghan) but may have stabilised…but do Amazon and Apple even care about losses? It’s all marketing.

As an aside, my niece completed a degree in theatrical set design in 2019. She always knew it would be a precarious freelance career, but when the theatres closed in early 2020 she was in despair. But she got a call from her tutor that a TV production company were ringing round desperate for set designers and builders and since then she’s been flat out, due to the combination of streaming demand and the cheap pound. Currently filming a gangster series in Hanger Lane - keep’em peeled.
Half decent tv on 16:02 - Oct 30 with 4621 viewsGaryT

Half decent tv on 23:57 - Oct 26 by SydneyRs

Just finished the Dahmer series on Netflix. I thought it was excellent and a fascinating insight into the guy and his background. Found myself googling lots of stuff while watching and most of it was pretty accurate.

Thought they got the balance right between telling the story without too many graphic images of him doing what he did.

Was just checking this out on IMDB and interestingly, there's quite a few people saying there's a lot on inaccuracies so it might be worth having a read first. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13207736/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

The Bear and This Is Going to Hurt have been added to the playlist, thanks to the posters for these recommendations. Finished watching Bad Sisters and Am I Being Unreasonable, both worth a watch.
Login to get fewer ads

Half decent tv on 16:06 - Oct 30 with 4601 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The Devil’s Hour.

Don’t bother.
Half decent tv on 22:35 - Oct 30 with 4519 viewsMrSheen

Just bought a film on Amazon called The Quiet Girl, the biggest Irish language film ever! I loved going back to my old family holidays on the farm, but it’s a beautiful bitter-sweet film in its own right.
Half decent tv on 23:00 - Oct 30 with 4488 viewsSydneyRs

Half decent tv on 16:02 - Oct 30 by GaryT

Was just checking this out on IMDB and interestingly, there's quite a few people saying there's a lot on inaccuracies so it might be worth having a read first. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13207736/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

The Bear and This Is Going to Hurt have been added to the playlist, thanks to the posters for these recommendations. Finished watching Bad Sisters and Am I Being Unreasonable, both worth a watch.

There are definitely some inaccuracies (neighbour was a different person to the lady in the series for example) but most of it was pretty accurate based on what I looked up while watching. There's obviously some poetic licence there as there would be with any series depicting true events.

Looking at some of the more negative reviews, several use the word 'woke" which immediately makes me lose any interest in what they have to say.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 5:05]
Half decent tv on 23:01 - Oct 30 with 4484 viewsSydneyRs

Half decent tv on 22:35 - Oct 30 by MrSheen

Just bought a film on Amazon called The Quiet Girl, the biggest Irish language film ever! I loved going back to my old family holidays on the farm, but it’s a beautiful bitter-sweet film in its own right.

Saw this a few weeks ago, really good. Not for everyone, but if you know Ireland it certainly strikes a few chords. Really enjoyed it.
Half decent tv on 23:35 - Oct 30 with 4470 viewsSydneyRs

Half decent tv on 03:31 - Oct 30 by silverbirch

This Is Going To Hurt, on iplayer is fantastic; really moving.

Seconded, a great series.
Half decent tv on 07:33 - Oct 31 with 4382 viewsMetallica_Hoop

'Hellhole' from Poland was really enjoyable and the new 'All quiet on the Western Front' was brilliant I thought filmwise.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Half decent tv on 08:18 - Oct 31 with 4347 viewsGaryT

Half decent tv on 23:00 - Oct 30 by SydneyRs

There are definitely some inaccuracies (neighbour was a different person to the lady in the series for example) but most of it was pretty accurate based on what I looked up while watching. There's obviously some poetic licence there as there would be with any series depicting true events.

Looking at some of the more negative reviews, several use the word 'woke" which immediately makes me lose any interest in what they have to say.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 5:05]

I gloss over the word Woke as well as its lost its original meaning and is used just as a general slur but what I was referring to was things like this:

The excellence of this mini-series is eroded by important factual inaccuracies and the producer's agenda-driven desire to race bait.

Right out of the gate, the very first words of the first episode: "Five white police officers stand accused of beating a fellow officer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a black man on undercover assignment". Never happened.

We then focus on Glenda Cleveland, who's portrayed as Dahmer's neighbor, always smelling an odor and hearing strange things going on, acting like she "knew" something was up for a long time.

Except, she was never Dahmer's neighbor. She didn't even live in the same building. Her claim to fame was calling the police after her daughter's run-in with 14-year-old Konerak. Unlike the show, she was never actually there with the boy or spoke directly to police, nor did she call "countless times". She gave information to dispatch, which was relayed to police officers. She then called later for an update, and dispatch assured her it was taken care of. This all took place less than 2 months before Dahmer's arrest. In other words, the show's timeline is extremely exaggerated.

Ironically, the real Cleveland said in an interview that she "doubted herself" after she was told the boy was Dahmer's boyfriend, and also stated she doesn't "feel that I have to constantly repeat myself" in response to why she wasn't more insistent with her gut feeling -- which is the total opposite of the show's portrayal that she relentlessly repeated herself in concern for the boy's safety.

The two reinstated officers are also portrayed as receiving "Officer of the Year" awards. It never happened.

Cleveland's portrayed as being scolded by her white boss, at a "conservative" business, for giving a media interview. Never happened.

Her daughter is portrayed as being arrested by the officers for breaking a white guy's camera. Never happened.

Cleveland's also portrayed as ending up as a motivated advocate for the victim's families. Nope, also never happened.

You then have a black detective (that also never existed), always slouching, sighing, looking disgruntled and giving Dahmer the evil eye. When Dahmer claims he never targeted based on race, he replies "I'm not buying that", "You purposely moved into an apartment in the BLACK community".

Sure, let's just gloss over the fact that 7 of his victims weren't black, and that his first AND last victims (Hicks and Bradehoft) were white (the show actually does gloss over this).

Then we have hero-murderer Christopher Scarver. The black inmate out for Jesus justice who wants some revenge against Dahmer for his racist crimes. The show leads up to this by portraying all of the people involved wishing death on Dahmer. The problem? Scarver killed two people, not just Dahmer. Why? Because he said one of them poked him in the back and it made other inmates laugh. So, he killed them both since he didn't know which it was.

I also find it odd they throw his father under the bus by portraying him as getting Jeff to dissect roadkill. In reality, he had "no idea" he was doing this. So, why? It doesn't even really do anything for the story, so why lie about it?

Which brings me to my final point. Why lie about any of this stuff? Why make fake racist events that never even happened? I'll let you answer that yourself.

I'm sure it's a well made piece of TV drama and there's always a few 'based on a true story' liberties taken but for me, this seems like a few too many. There's a million other things out there to watch so I always pick through the reviews to try and save myself from disappointment so thought it was worth mentioning these inaccuracies for anyone else thinking of watching it.

Watched first episode of The Bear, liking the gritty styling so far.
Half decent tv on 08:55 - Oct 31 with 4331 viewsMrSheen

Half decent tv on 08:18 - Oct 31 by GaryT

I gloss over the word Woke as well as its lost its original meaning and is used just as a general slur but what I was referring to was things like this:

The excellence of this mini-series is eroded by important factual inaccuracies and the producer's agenda-driven desire to race bait.

Right out of the gate, the very first words of the first episode: "Five white police officers stand accused of beating a fellow officer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a black man on undercover assignment". Never happened.

We then focus on Glenda Cleveland, who's portrayed as Dahmer's neighbor, always smelling an odor and hearing strange things going on, acting like she "knew" something was up for a long time.

Except, she was never Dahmer's neighbor. She didn't even live in the same building. Her claim to fame was calling the police after her daughter's run-in with 14-year-old Konerak. Unlike the show, she was never actually there with the boy or spoke directly to police, nor did she call "countless times". She gave information to dispatch, which was relayed to police officers. She then called later for an update, and dispatch assured her it was taken care of. This all took place less than 2 months before Dahmer's arrest. In other words, the show's timeline is extremely exaggerated.

Ironically, the real Cleveland said in an interview that she "doubted herself" after she was told the boy was Dahmer's boyfriend, and also stated she doesn't "feel that I have to constantly repeat myself" in response to why she wasn't more insistent with her gut feeling -- which is the total opposite of the show's portrayal that she relentlessly repeated herself in concern for the boy's safety.

The two reinstated officers are also portrayed as receiving "Officer of the Year" awards. It never happened.

Cleveland's portrayed as being scolded by her white boss, at a "conservative" business, for giving a media interview. Never happened.

Her daughter is portrayed as being arrested by the officers for breaking a white guy's camera. Never happened.

Cleveland's also portrayed as ending up as a motivated advocate for the victim's families. Nope, also never happened.

You then have a black detective (that also never existed), always slouching, sighing, looking disgruntled and giving Dahmer the evil eye. When Dahmer claims he never targeted based on race, he replies "I'm not buying that", "You purposely moved into an apartment in the BLACK community".

Sure, let's just gloss over the fact that 7 of his victims weren't black, and that his first AND last victims (Hicks and Bradehoft) were white (the show actually does gloss over this).

Then we have hero-murderer Christopher Scarver. The black inmate out for Jesus justice who wants some revenge against Dahmer for his racist crimes. The show leads up to this by portraying all of the people involved wishing death on Dahmer. The problem? Scarver killed two people, not just Dahmer. Why? Because he said one of them poked him in the back and it made other inmates laugh. So, he killed them both since he didn't know which it was.

I also find it odd they throw his father under the bus by portraying him as getting Jeff to dissect roadkill. In reality, he had "no idea" he was doing this. So, why? It doesn't even really do anything for the story, so why lie about it?

Which brings me to my final point. Why lie about any of this stuff? Why make fake racist events that never even happened? I'll let you answer that yourself.

I'm sure it's a well made piece of TV drama and there's always a few 'based on a true story' liberties taken but for me, this seems like a few too many. There's a million other things out there to watch so I always pick through the reviews to try and save myself from disappointment so thought it was worth mentioning these inaccuracies for anyone else thinking of watching it.

Haven't seen that series so can't comment specifically, but on taking historical liberties...
I'm working my way through Babylon Berlin, which looks great and is very entertaining. There's a terrible feeling of gathering doom which some of the characters can sense, but the viewers know. Series 3 weaves in a story about the 1929 stock market crash which is extremely dramatic, but apparently totally made-up. It seems the Berlin market had crashed in 1927, so the public at large stayed well away from it, unlike the US, and it actually went sideways-to-down in 1929, rather than fuelling a get-rich-quick frenzy that collapsed in chaos.
Half decent tv on 09:25 - Oct 31 with 4283 viewsTheChef

Slight tangent but we were watching Superman 2 with the kids last night, it occurred to me how much more cockney General Zod gets when he's angry. From Krypton via Stepney...

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Half decent tv on 18:43 - Oct 31 with 4127 viewsRanger_Things

SAS Rogue Heroes was better than I expected. Like Peaky Blinders I found some of the soundtrack jarring but the character development was pretty good, as was the writing. I do think it deserved more episodes though, hopefully the following series will be longer.
Half decent tv on 19:41 - Oct 31 with 4093 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Just watched ‘All Quiet On The Western Front’ on Netflix which is sort of a more violent version of 1917 and from the German side

Big fan of war films and it was interesting to me watching it from a different view. Other than Downfall and Das Boot I can’t think of many others that are so candidly written by a defeated nation.

Can recommend anyway.
Half decent tv on 19:47 - Oct 31 with 4090 viewspaulparker

Half decent tv on 19:41 - Oct 31 by BazzaInTheLoft

Just watched ‘All Quiet On The Western Front’ on Netflix which is sort of a more violent version of 1917 and from the German side

Big fan of war films and it was interesting to me watching it from a different view. Other than Downfall and Das Boot I can’t think of many others that are so candidly written by a defeated nation.

Can recommend anyway.

Cheers Baz I love a war film to , i will check that out
On season 5 of better call Saul , got to say it’s on a par with breaking bad imo , Saul goodman has to be one of the greatest tv characters

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Half decent tv on 21:44 - Oct 31 with 4015 viewsdistortR

Can recommend anyway.

thought it was really good, very moving, unsubtle but exasperating juxtaposition between the generals and troops.
The forgotten battle is another good war film on netflix.
Can recommend the Danish film land of Mine, a well.
Half decent tv on 23:27 - Oct 31 with 3965 viewsSydneyRs

Half decent tv on 08:18 - Oct 31 by GaryT

I'm not familiar enough with the story to know the accuracy or otherwise of all of the above 'never happened' statements. Several of them are very minor things in a ten part series and really just looking for things to discredit. Its an excellent series.

Apparently the neighbour was based on a combination of Cleveland, who did live in an adjacent building, and the actual neighbour whose name escapes me for now. What I am pretty confident about is that the writer has a large chip on their shoulder about race issues, or "wokeness" if the current trendy term among such types is used. Probably has flags on their Twitter bio and rages about refugees and "the knee" too.

They played the actual recording of Cleveland's phone call to the police and the dismissive response at the end of that episode, so that part was accurate. Some of the smaller detail maybe less so, but the fact is police allowed this incoherent, drugged kid back into Dahmer's care because they couldn't wait to get away. That's the take away, not picking on some minor differences from actual events.

I think I read that the police beating thing did happen, but not in Milwaukee.

I've watched recordings of the actual trial and those scenes are very accurate, right down to the likeness of actors to the real victim relatives that came in to read statements before sentencing.

All of the victims were shown and named at the end, black or otherwise. Murders of white victims were also portrayed. The Hicks murder in particular is prominently portrayed, not glossed over as stated. The white guy murdered in the hotel was also covered in detail. He's shown drugging guys of different ethnicities in the bath houses before being banned from them.

There was no doubt that prejudice against black and gay (the fear of aids was huge at the time) people played a part in Dahmer being able to get away with things for so long, so that was probably emphasised using some of the things mentioned and I don't have a problem with that. Its portraying attitudes that existed then and still do to a large extent. The policemen who got fired (and later reinstated) were supported vocally by white people at the time. Dahmer lived in a deprived area with a large black population, the police would I'm sure have rather been somewhere (anywhere) else. These issues are well documented and have changed little.

The show doesn't hide the fact that Scarver killed two people, it does however have the other guy attacked before Dahmer which isn't the order in which it happened. As the three of them were unsupervised when it happened, I'm not sure how this person knows such detail to do with being poked in the back and others laughing??? This is from the Wikipedia page about Scarver:

Scarver attacked Jeffrey Dahmer with a metal bar that he removed from a piece of exercise equipment from the prison weight room, he then beat Jesse Anderson with a wooden stick at the showers. He returned to his cell and informed a corrections officer that "God told me to do it. Jesse Anderson and Jeffrey Dahmer are dead."

Both men were mortally wounded by the beatings. Dahmer was declared dead an hour after arriving at the hospital and Anderson died two days later, after doctors removed him from life support. After being found competent enough to stand trial, Scarver received two more life sentences for Dahmer and Anderson's murders. It is believed that Scarver murdered Dahmer and Anderson, who were both white, because of Dahmer's murders of black males and because Anderson had stabbed his wife to death and attempted to frame two black males as the perpetrators of the attack. Scarver was quoted as having said, "nothing white people do to blacks is just".
[Post edited 1 Nov 2022 0:19]
Half decent tv on 04:38 - Nov 1 with 3906 viewsKiwi76

Just finished Bad Sisters on Apple - Sharon Horgan remaking a European show - very black comedy.
Liked cast & some fun along the way.

Black Bird also on Apple is not a comedy but also v good. Taron Edgerton playing very different role from usual & brilliant performance from Paul Walter Hauser (also check out Richard Jewell movie).
Potential serial killer & trying to gather info to prove it.

Also White Lotus just starting season 2 - bunch of unlikeable guests at a resort - season one in Hawaii was good & Hotel Mgr was brilliant. Ep 1 suggests more of same - think is Sky Atlantic for UK folks?
Half decent tv on 12:00 - Nov 1 with 3754 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Can recommend anyway.

Ohh I don’t know Barry, I think the Yanks have made a bit of a cottage industry out of their loss at the hands of Vietnam and painted themselves rather grimly into the process. Though, not as grim as they could and maybe should have.

Some like Platoon, Born on the 4th of July have hardly painted the defeated country well. Even Forrest Gump ended up getting shot in the wazoo, as he and Lieutenant Dan struggled post-Nam.

I’ve saved AQOTWF to watch, looks like I should expect some gruesomeness with my evening cocoa.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Half decent tv on 13:13 - Nov 1 with 3684 viewshantssi

Half decent tv on 12:00 - Nov 1 by PlanetHonneywood

Ohh I don’t know Barry, I think the Yanks have made a bit of a cottage industry out of their loss at the hands of Vietnam and painted themselves rather grimly into the process. Though, not as grim as they could and maybe should have.

Some like Platoon, Born on the 4th of July have hardly painted the defeated country well. Even Forrest Gump ended up getting shot in the wazoo, as he and Lieutenant Dan struggled post-Nam.

I’ve saved AQOTWF to watch, looks like I should expect some gruesomeness with my evening cocoa.

AQOTWF, not seen this version but have read the book and seen both films (1930, B&W in German and 1979 version with John Boy Walton!).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024