Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday choons discussion supplement. 12:09 - Apr 29 with 4285 viewsizlingtonhoop

I'm here at work with Lexicon of Love playing.

Sets me wondering if Sheffield could be the most consistent city for producing decent bands.

Obviously Woking won't be beaten for the very best single band! Snick, snick! but city/town nominations anyone?
[Post edited 29 Apr 2016 15:53]
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 12:39 - Apr 29 with 4266 viewsDiscodroids

love it.

'All of my heart' tears your heart out and sling shots it around the Kuiper belt.

Pure Magic..

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 12:57 - Apr 29 with 4248 viewswhiffer

One of my favourite albums. soundtrack to the eighties for me. I hear they're releasing a Lexicon of Love 2? There's been some interesting documentaries on the Sheffield scene on BBC4 over the past couple of years.
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:03 - Apr 29 with 4242 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Birmingham.

Sabbath, Priest and many many more.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:07 - Apr 29 with 4237 viewshopphoops

Gets my vote for Pulp alone

I studied in Bristol in the early 1990s, just a lot of dope and bass. Brilliant.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 4224 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Good thread.
Top 5 album for me still that one. Fantastic production and every track a winner. When Pop was good.
Although tempted to loyally suggest Croydon for The Damned, Kirsty McCall, Saint Etienne and the birth of Dubstep, I don't think that is enough to win the vote.
Manchester or Sheffield I suppose.
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:36 - Apr 29 with 4211 viewsOutWestR

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:23 - Apr 29 by CroydonCaptJack

Good thread.
Top 5 album for me still that one. Fantastic production and every track a winner. When Pop was good.
Although tempted to loyally suggest Croydon for The Damned, Kirsty McCall, Saint Etienne and the birth of Dubstep, I don't think that is enough to win the vote.

I'm presuming by your avatar you've got a soft spot for Warp records too?
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:40 - Apr 29 with 4208 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:36 - Apr 29 by OutWestR

I'm presuming by your avatar you've got a soft spot for Warp records too?

Big time.
An another tick in the box for Sheffield. Good point.
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:40 - Apr 29 with 4208 viewsR_from_afar

Good discussion.

Dunfermline's up there due to The Skids, Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Big Country and Nazareth. Oh, and death metal pioneer Barbara Dickson, of course.

Sadly, Egremont isn't. They have produced It Bites and not much else.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 14:55 - Apr 29 with 4171 viewsizlingtonhoop

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 13:23 - Apr 29 by CroydonCaptJack

Good thread.

I was going to suggest that Croydon punches way above its weight.

When I saw St Etienne as I scrolled down I thought someone was suggesting Chelmsford! Must just be the lovely Sarah. It is, I looked it up...
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 15:13 - Apr 29 with 4164 viewsMetallica_Hoop

On a similar note, for good bands per capita/head the mighty Finns must win hands down.

So many amazing bands for a country of only 5.4 million souls.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 15:18 - Apr 29 with 4155 viewsizlingtonhoop

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 15:13 - Apr 29 by Metallica_Hoop

On a similar note, for good bands per capita/head the mighty Finns must win hands down.

So many amazing bands for a country of only 5.4 million souls.

With respect Metallica, many of us might consider that esoterica...
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 15:35 - Apr 29 with 4153 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Friday choons discussion suplement. on 14:55 - Apr 29 by izlingtonhoop

I was going to suggest that Croydon punches way above its weight.

When I saw St Etienne as I scrolled down I thought someone was suggesting Chelmsford! Must just be the lovely Sarah. It is, I looked it up...

I am a bit gutted as I wanted to indulge myself.
Saint Etienne (a Croydon band) did a track called Hobart Paving (A Croydon company originally) that was remixed by Aphex Twin (see my Avatar)
But it is not on Youtube.
Friday choons discussion suplement. on 15:47 - Apr 29 with 4147 viewsBluce_Ree

Washington DC.

For basically all of the good post-hardcore bands. Mostly, Fugazi.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Friday choons discussion supplement. on 17:21 - Apr 29 with 4101 viewsFrankieFiveAngels

Sheffield, it has to be said, always punched above it's weight for bands, compared to say, Leeds - a bigger city but without the track record;

As well as the aforementioned, ABC from that era you had Cabaret Voltaire, Human League/Heaven 17, Comsat Angels, Clock DVA..
Friday choons discussion supplement. on 17:55 - Apr 29 with 4080 viewsMrSheen

Friday choons discussion supplement. on 17:21 - Apr 29 by FrankieFiveAngels

Sheffield, it has to be said, always punched above it's weight for bands, compared to say, Leeds - a bigger city but without the track record;

As well as the aforementioned, ABC from that era you had Cabaret Voltaire, Human League/Heaven 17, Comsat Angels, Clock DVA..

Not forgetting Def Leppard.
Friday choons discussion supplement. on 18:03 - Apr 29 with 4073 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Yes the Cabs were brilliant as were Human League early days.
Friday choons discussion supplement. on 18:15 - Apr 29 with 4061 viewsFrankieFiveAngels

Friday choons discussion supplement. on 17:55 - Apr 29 by MrSheen

Not forgetting Def Leppard.

A band whose look was embraced by our very own Darren Peacock.
Friday choons discussion supplement. on 23:52 - Apr 29 with 4011 viewslondonscottish

Comsat Angels. fk me had totally forgotten abut them

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Friday choons discussion supplement. on 18:38 - Jul 8 with 3782 viewsizlingtonhoop

Went to see Elvis (mentioned it once already) on Wednesday, and in some strange American accent he announced Pete Thomas as 'Sheffield's finest...'

Hilsborough according to Wiki.
Friday choons discussion supplement. on 18:50 - Jul 8 with 3774 viewsRamseyR

Arctic Monkeys, Reverend & The Makers , & Milburn also from Sheffield

To be fair artists are often inspired by bleak surroundings. Sheffield is a real karsi of a city..
[Post edited 8 Jul 2016 18:56]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024