Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. 10:23 - May 4 with 6167 viewsToast_R

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/02/12/uefa-concerned-by-bt-sports-disma

I know this article is a over 2 months old and therefore only going off figures from the group stages, but BT are pulling in averages of less then 200,000 compared to ITV’s 4.4 million. That’s awful for the money they paid for the rights.

I’m not surprised though, I have only watched one CL game this year (Paris Saint-Germain v Real Madrid) where I made a conscious effort to sit in a banged out pub in the city with diabolical views of a TV screen paying £5.00 a pint of boys beer Becks Vier. Other then that, zero footage. A shame as although I’m not a big fan of the competition, I like to watch the latter stages if there’s an English team involved and obviously the final regardless.

I can’t really be arsed to go down a pub and watch it and I can’t get BT Sport at home (No BT Broadband Service where I live) unless I'm prepared to pay £28 a month extra get it added to my already expensive Sky Package. Not going to happen and certainly not worth £336 a year in addition to Sky.

Cheekily I nabbed my in-laws access to Virgin Anywhere and tried watch BT Sport through that as they get the channel free with the Virgin Media package. However, it won’t work during Champions League matches due to traffic. The site just crashes but as soon the match finishes, you can login no probs, so serious issues there too.

UEFA the greedy bastards, can’t be happy with these figures?
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 10:30 - May 4 with 4450 viewsAntti_Heinola

Was saying something similar the other day: I haven't given two hoots about the CL all season because I can't watch any of it - and I suspect many people feel the same.
It may change, because I suspect people will start to ditch Sky and go with BT in larger numbers, particularly as Sky just upped their fees by a fiver for the third time in under 18 months - a real sign they are losing subscribers and can't afford what they paid for the Prem. As you say, UEFA can't be happy that hardly anyone in the UK is watching their Premier tournament.

Bare bones.

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 10:32 - May 4 with 4438 viewsfrancisbowles

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 10:30 - May 4 by Antti_Heinola

Was saying something similar the other day: I haven't given two hoots about the CL all season because I can't watch any of it - and I suspect many people feel the same.
It may change, because I suspect people will start to ditch Sky and go with BT in larger numbers, particularly as Sky just upped their fees by a fiver for the third time in under 18 months - a real sign they are losing subscribers and can't afford what they paid for the Prem. As you say, UEFA can't be happy that hardly anyone in the UK is watching their Premier tournament.

Yep just highlights on ITV for me and only the latter stages.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 10:39 - May 4 with 4415 viewspaulparker

People are bored of it Toast
you can guarantee what the draw of the group stages will be before its even done
Arsenal will get -olympiakos, shaktar
Chelsea, will get shalke , porto
City will get Cska , Bayern

its been the same the last 3 or 4 years , no one gives a toss about Barca thrashing BATE
or that Real coast by Ajax every year
the format is boring and a nonsense its the same 16 teams who get through , where is the fun in that , UEFA have killed what used to be the UEFA cup & European Cup
I haven't watched a champions league game in years , it may change with Leicester & spurs next year but on the whole its a total snoozefest and why pay good money to see it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 10:50 - May 4 with 4397 viewsBoston

I was never interested from the get go.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:04 - May 4 with 4353 viewsjohncharles

Even when I had BT Sport I didn't bother much with CL. A competition with very little competition involved. Got rid of BT. It's a nightmare. BT Sport was was supposedly free with broadband at £19.99 per month. On my last bill broadband was £29.00 and BTS was another £12 + extra for HD. Every bill was different. I could go on but let's just say - beware of BT.

Strong and stable my arse.

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:11 - May 4 with 4332 viewsMick_S

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:04 - May 4 by johncharles

Even when I had BT Sport I didn't bother much with CL. A competition with very little competition involved. Got rid of BT. It's a nightmare. BT Sport was was supposedly free with broadband at £19.99 per month. On my last bill broadband was £29.00 and BTS was another £12 + extra for HD. Every bill was different. I could go on but let's just say - beware of BT.

You are right JC - beware of BT and their random billing. Good luck people, when you call "customer service" to rectify any financial irregularities associated with your direct debits; they are an utter nightmare. Shocking company these days.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:14 - May 4 with 4316 viewssimmo

Honestly, other than PL fanatics and modern armchair fans, who really cares about seeing CL teams? Especially in the group stages?! Why the fck should we care enough about PSG beating some average team from Belgium to pay a subscrition for it?

Tonight is Madrid v Citeh, am I really that fussed which of these 2 mega rich teams wins a trophy that won't really effect them? It's the start of the non-league playoffs tonight, I'm much more interested in that!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:29 - May 4 with 4281 viewsaston_hoop

I really dislike the Champions League. Its not the 'Champions' League when the teams who finish 4th in the top leagues still qualify. Its just an excuse for the richest teams to play against each other while being watched by the kind of people who claim to support Manchester Utd or Chelsea but have been to their grounds fewer times than any of us ever have. The kind of people who think the solution to their team is to spend another £100m on the best players available and that football is like a game of fifa.

I'll tune in next season though if I get to see Wes Morgan and Robert Huth do a turn on Barcelona's attack.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:49 - May 4 with 4216 viewstraininvain

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:14 - May 4 by simmo

Honestly, other than PL fanatics and modern armchair fans, who really cares about seeing CL teams? Especially in the group stages?! Why the fck should we care enough about PSG beating some average team from Belgium to pay a subscrition for it?

Tonight is Madrid v Citeh, am I really that fussed which of these 2 mega rich teams wins a trophy that won't really effect them? It's the start of the non-league playoffs tonight, I'm much more interested in that!

I enjoy watching as the quality of football is generally very good, particularly in the later rounds.

The game last night was one of the best I've seen all season.

And I've got a season ticket up Rangers so I'm not an armchair fan. I just appreciate the beautiful game in its many forms.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 12:00 - May 4 with 4192 viewsdaveB

Thats what happens when you take football off freeview, less people watch it. the viewing figures for Sky Premier League games are pretty crap as well but they base it all on how many subscribers they have rather than how many people are watching.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 12:11 - May 4 with 4148 viewsLunarJetman

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 11:04 - May 4 by johncharles

I've actually just switched over to BT from Sky, mainly due to the constant price increases which meant I was paying Sky well over £100 for TV, broadband and phone, which I just couldn't justify any more.

Not sure what package you're getting though as I'm paying £35 a month for the phone with evening and weekend calls, unlimited infinity and the basic TV package with BT Sport in HD. Even the full whack was around £45. Broadband is £10 a month for the year.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 12:14 - May 4 with 4137 viewsultramagnetic

Problem also they promised free games which you have to watch via freeview and not sky and in the KO stages not shown a single English team so why would you really want to bother watching the free game. Last week they had 1st leg of A Madrid on freeview it froze all the way. Also another reason why would you get BT as prem games are on sat 12.45 when I am at QPR or out. So much for competition just hits the viewers having to fork out for different subs. Group stages I don't care about but KO stage I do like to watch it if Chelsea etc can get knocked out but they didn't have any of these free.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 13:16 - May 4 with 4009 viewsjohncharles

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 12:11 - May 4 by LunarJetman

I've actually just switched over to BT from Sky, mainly due to the constant price increases which meant I was paying Sky well over £100 for TV, broadband and phone, which I just couldn't justify any more.

Not sure what package you're getting though as I'm paying £35 a month for the phone with evening and weekend calls, unlimited infinity and the basic TV package with BT Sport in HD. Even the full whack was around £45. Broadband is £10 a month for the year.

Standard broadband is £10.00 a month for the FIRST year. Infinity is £20. Evening and weekend calls free ? Only if you phone them up to complain when they charge you. I was a BT customer for years and every bill had a mistake of some sort. Makes me chuckle now seeing these introductory offers. The longer you stay with BT the more they charge you.

Strong and stable my arse.

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 13:43 - May 4 with 3926 viewsYorkRanger

I have BT Broadband and get the football channel for free. This year they wanted (I think) another £5 per month for HD and £5 for the Europe channel. I refused on a point of principle re ever increasing costs and as a consequence haven't watched a single CL game. Last season I would have watched a game most weeks there were matches scheduled.

I also have sky but have negotiated a deal on that for the past 3 years. The day I'm forced to pay full price for it I will throw in the towel on it.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 14:11 - May 4 with 3875 viewsNorthernr

I'm sure people not having BT Sport has a lot to do with it, but personally as somebody with a BT subscription and access to it all, the Champions League holds less and less interest for me as the years go by. I hardly ever watch the group stage games now, unless I'm literally sitting in my house doing nothing. What's the point? Lose this week, lose next week, still probably qualify. And hey, if you don't, they put you in the Europa League anyway. There's no jeopardy, no hope that a Barcelona or a Bayern Munich or a Juventus might have an off night and fall at the hands of some pumped up Danish side - because even if they do have an off night and lose, they still go through.

So that basically renders half the competition, and half the year, utterly pointless to me. It only really starts to get interesting at the quarter final stage for me, and even then I'm looking at that game tonight thinking I know what's going to happen and maybe I'll watch the Conference play off semi instead.

It's the same with the Europa League. I actually used to prefer the UEFA Cup to the European Cup when it was a straight two legged knock-out but of course they've whacked a fcking massive group stage into that as well and bloated it by making it a dumping ground for all the Champions League losers, Fair Play Winners and league champions from tiny nations so now even the really good teams actually don't want to be in it because it's too much hassle.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 14:18 - May 4 with 3856 viewsJuzzie

I'm bored with the lot of it. Once this season is over I'm cancelling my Sports Package (inc. Sky and BT) with Virgin Media. I hardly watch it anyway so am paying silly amounts each month for nothing which is a terrible waste.

There's still plenty of football on terrestial TV be it live or highlights. Live games every night of the week for 10 months of the year is completely OTT.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 14:37 - May 4 with 3821 viewswestberksr

cancelled sky sports and movies last year, still have access to sky go via Dad's account but still watch hardly any these days.

As for the CL, i just couldn't give a rats arse about it. I've got BT Sports as part of my BB but only get the prem stuff which is usually a rubbish fixture or on at the 'wrong' time or ruined by the cretins they have doing the commentary; i'm not paying more for the Chumpions league on top.

might cancel the rest of sky and try to do a deal on the fees.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 14:54 - May 4 with 3793 viewsTripper

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 14:37 - May 4 by westberksr

cancelled sky sports and movies last year, still have access to sky go via Dad's account but still watch hardly any these days.

As for the CL, i just couldn't give a rats arse about it. I've got BT Sports as part of my BB but only get the prem stuff which is usually a rubbish fixture or on at the 'wrong' time or ruined by the cretins they have doing the commentary; i'm not paying more for the Chumpions league on top.

might cancel the rest of sky and try to do a deal on the fees.

My discounted year ran out again last week so when through the process again.

Call and cancel everything, refuse to accept the 35% standard discount and get a termination date (30 days). Wait for a week to get your call from retentions and bargain hard until you get 50% off and a £50 account credit with no contract.

Got mine. Family Pack, Sports and Multi-room For £32.50 for a year plus the £50 credit on top.
[Post edited 4 May 2016 14:54]
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 14:54 - May 4 with 3787 viewsWrightUp5hit___

CL is a bit like the Harlem Globetrotters a fluffy, skillful entertainment with zippo competition. Which is where the CL is heading.

Not a NBA fan but I would take a meaningful Cavaliers game anyday

Wait until the "top" 32 European teams decide they want an even bigger take and decide to set up the closed Super Champions League and exclude the Bate's , Leicester's , Tottenham's, Lille's etc
[Post edited 4 May 2016 15:28]
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 15:49 - May 4 with 3698 viewsrobith

Working in the advertising game I can offer a few little insights here:

First of all - the actual viewing probably is a lot higher than that. TV viewing is measured by BARB which is a panel of 5,000 people. So if only 500 have BT Sport then it instantly limits the potential viewership (works great for us cos we end up with lots of airtime we don't pay for - Sky is even talking of ditching BARB for their own panel). Barb always massively overemphasises BBC and ITV. ITV in fact didn't particularly like the football - tended to drive away their core audience that made money (football is watched by young men, men statistically don't buy things and young people statistically don't engage with advertising)

Second - BT don't really care about viewing (much to UEFA's chagrin). Sport is a hook to get broadband subscribers which is where their margin is and they've been super successful at that - in Feb they added 150k broadband and 250k infinity customers. The pressure is mostly from UEFA on their showpiece event being ignored. Big rumours BT might do something big for the final

Third - bookmakers. One of a my clients is one, and the TV stations have them over a barrel as they can only go in live sport, and only one per ad break. As such on Sky, their prices are 10 times higher than normal prices for the same airtime. And BT is even more expensive. And they're all rubber stamped year long deals you have to commit to. So that's a huge stream of income for them
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 16:02 - May 4 with 3676 viewsPlanetHonneywood

In terms of overall interest, I think the same can being said for the Chumps League, applies to the League Cup and FA Cup (third round).

I refuse to have Sky in the house and can't be bothered to get any of the other sports packages because I only start casting an eye towards these competitions when we get to the QF stage or 70th minute of the FA Cup third round.

As someone said above in relation to only watching the Chumps League, that's all I do now for most of footy. That said, I've not seen a League Cup final for years now and while I know City won it this season, I only know we won it in 67 and 86 and have no idea who has won outside of those years. As for the FA Cup, rarely does my interest go beyond the 80th minute of our third round exit.

Football has over egged itself and in making watching a more expensive contractual requirement, the likes of UEFA have not realised that casual fan and/or supporters of other teams will not always go to such lengths nowadays to watch other teams play. In turn, this will impact on interest and participation, which in turn will likely see numbers drop away. Doppy feckers, too stupid to realise they have ruined the game.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 16:18 - May 4 with 3644 viewsdanehoop

Have been with BT for past 18 months, barely used their Sports offering but appreciated the unrestricted fibre offering on broadband (pretty all other supplies have options to manage (read limit) speeds if they are busy. Now the fixed price I agreed has increased through sneaky means and after I told them to shove their Sports channel where they like as didnt ask for it, didnt want it and sure as shyte wasnt going to pay them for it.

Wont touch Murdoch's dodgy empire and virgin dont like where I live. So now just waiting for the autumn to switch to another provider. Rather like the look of Plus Net. BT company that runs entirely separately from the massive and unhelpful BT sloth that owns it. Any other ideas on Broadband providers worth looking at?

Never knowingly understood

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 16:29 - May 4 with 3611 viewsTonto

I only keep the sports channels for the non-football sports - cricket and NFL being the main two.

But now that you can subscribe to some of those channels via Apple TV or similar, I am seriously considering whether its worth continuing with SKY.

I have BT infinity but have never activated BT sport... it doesnt show anything Im interested in.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 17:32 - May 4 with 3524 viewsrobith

BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 16:18 - May 4 by danehoop

Have been with BT for past 18 months, barely used their Sports offering but appreciated the unrestricted fibre offering on broadband (pretty all other supplies have options to manage (read limit) speeds if they are busy. Now the fixed price I agreed has increased through sneaky means and after I told them to shove their Sports channel where they like as didnt ask for it, didnt want it and sure as shyte wasnt going to pay them for it.

Wont touch Murdoch's dodgy empire and virgin dont like where I live. So now just waiting for the autumn to switch to another provider. Rather like the look of Plus Net. BT company that runs entirely separately from the massive and unhelpful BT sloth that owns it. Any other ideas on Broadband providers worth looking at?

Personal experience, but Plusnet are categorically the worst broadband provider I've ever used. Caught in a legacy deal from an old flatmate and had to take it to a new place. Rarely went above 2mbps. Endless excuses, trying to charge us for engineers etc.

Switched to o2 and got 10mbps from the moment I plugged the router in.
BT Sport Europe Flopping like crazy. on 19:41 - May 4 with 3400 viewsHollowayRanger

I had Bt sports for free NEVER watched it might even still have it but NO interest in champions shite league or any pay to view sports coverage aint ever playing ,just watch the odd things boxing football final qpr away day on line

as far as im concerned any sport that sells out to sky or the like is selling its soul and kissing goodbye to the next generation of fans

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024