Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norton Security? 18:41 - May 4 with 1548 viewsted_hendrix

Is it any good people? a Years subscription for £19.99 cant be that bad can It?
Our McAfee Livesafe is up for renewal in the not too distant future and with discount is £64.99.
Anyone who's using Norton I'd appreciate any advice.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Norton Security? on 21:11 - May 4 with 1501 viewscollegeranger

I used to work for Symantec who own Norton Anti-Virus and its their best product. McAfee and Norton are the world leaders! If I didn't run a Mac I would use Norton. AVG is the best of the Freeware AV suppliers. Like most things in this world the renewal in 12 months wont be £19.99 - so flipping between Norton and McAfee each year is the best policy to keep the cost down.
Norton Security? on 21:18 - May 4 with 1486 viewsBklynRanger

I've got the free AVG thing. Works fine - handles even my most deviant web tendencies without judgement.
Norton Security? on 21:24 - May 4 with 1473 viewsLblock

Norton Security? on 21:18 - May 4 by BklynRanger

I've got the free AVG thing. Works fine - handles even my most deviant web tendencies without judgement.

I use Norton and seems to be good

It's a fair bit more than £19.99 here though!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Norton Security? on 21:25 - May 4 with 1467 viewsdanehoop

Norton Security? on 21:11 - May 4 by collegeranger

I used to work for Symantec who own Norton Anti-Virus and its their best product. McAfee and Norton are the world leaders! If I didn't run a Mac I would use Norton. AVG is the best of the Freeware AV suppliers. Like most things in this world the renewal in 12 months wont be £19.99 - so flipping between Norton and McAfee each year is the best policy to keep the cost down.

If it helps Which? rate the Avast anti virus as probably the best of the free anti virus products at the moment, a Best Buy at 72% and AVG at 71%. I have recently switched to the Avast and found it a bit easier to use than the AVG.

They also rate the Norton as a Best Buy with an even higher score of 73%

Full review:

Which? verdict:
Great security that's easy to use 73%
LAUNCHED 18 DECEMBER 2015 TESTED 19 NOVEMBER 2015
One of the biggest hitters in the business, Norton's latest antivirus software will be on many computer owners' shortlist. Norton Security Standard boasts plenty of features and is upgradable to cover extra Mac, Android and iOS devices. But does this come at the expense of PC security?

PROS Easy to use, clear reporting, very capable, 24/7 support
CONS No IMAP email scanning, limited features
Norton Security crams in powerful identity protection features and tools to its standard package, yet it's well organised, logical and surprisingly easy to use. Its anti-malware credentials are very good too - a well-deserved Best Buy.

What is it?
The latest generation of Norton Security. It includes antivirus and malware scanning, a firewall, identity protection features and PC tune-up tools.
You can cover more devices - including Macs, smartphones and tablets - by upgrading to the Deluxe (five devices) or Premium (10 devices) packages.
What's it like to use?
Great. Once installed, Norton's interface is simple, friendly and well organised, so it's not hard to find your way to the core features. It's really easy to schedule scans - in fact, they're automatically set up when the software is installed.
When the software finds a problem it provides clear information in a reassuring manner, and there's precious little impact on your PC's performance while it works in the background. Occasionally it could be more proactive. It didn't do anything when we connected a drive full of malware over the network or inserted an infected USB drive, although it acted quickly as soon we started to browse through folders or copy files.
Is there anything I should watch out for?
Although Norton Security is packed with additional features, some of them are rather disappointing. The PC tune-up tool is basic, it doesn't scan Zip files unless prompted with a full scan, and the email scanner works with only POP3 inboxes, not those that use the IMAP standard. It also failed a couple of our anti-phishing tests.
Auto-renewal is applied by default, which isn't unusual. But you can only turn it off after purchase and even then it's hidden away and so difficult to find.
Is there anything else I should know?
The firewall is a real strength for Norton. It's effective but unobtrusive. And there are some decent identity protection features to keep you safe while you're banking, shopping or surfing.
Norton offers 24 hour support, seven days a week, which includes contact by phone, email or live web chat.
The total test score we've awarded is for PC only. When tested on Mac, it scores only 63%.
Should I buy it?
Yes. Norton Security is the first name that springs to mind for many people, and most users won't feel let down. PC packages from Kaspersky and Bitdefender score better in certain areas, but overall it's a great security package

Never knowingly understood

Norton Security? on 23:26 - May 4 with 1373 viewsted_hendrix

Norton Security? on 21:24 - May 4 by Lblock

I use Norton and seems to be good

It's a fair bit more than £19.99 here though!!

The bloke in Curry's showed me all the Norton stuff today that was on a rack, the £19.99 one was the most basic but he said that was more than adequate protection for our laptop.
I was just a bit wary of Norton as I've never heard of them whereas MaCafee has always been already installed on the last three laptops we've bought so we've just carried on with them.
Thanks for your assistance lads, Norton it is.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Norton Security? on 00:40 - May 5 with 1347 viewsozexile

Norton Security? on 23:26 - May 4 by ted_hendrix

The bloke in Curry's showed me all the Norton stuff today that was on a rack, the £19.99 one was the most basic but he said that was more than adequate protection for our laptop.
I was just a bit wary of Norton as I've never heard of them whereas MaCafee has always been already installed on the last three laptops we've bought so we've just carried on with them.
Thanks for your assistance lads, Norton it is.

Im using bitdefender. Very very good. My computer is really working quickly now. It was very sluggish on norton.
Norton Security? on 00:41 - May 5 with 1346 viewsLazyFan

ClamWin
http://www.clamwin.com/

Free and no ads

zzzzzzzzzz

Norton Security? on 01:28 - May 5 with 1332 viewsBucksRanger

Herd Protect - 68 anti virus scanners all protecting your PC.

http://www.herdprotect.com/

Picks up more than my Kaspersky AV checker does.
Login to get fewer ads

Norton Security? on 01:58 - May 5 with 1327 viewsBoston

Used Norton for years, happy with product. Think its $50 per year.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Norton Security? on 06:53 - May 5 with 1273 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Avast+Firefox+AdBlock+common sense= no worries.
Norton Security? on 08:55 - May 5 with 1202 views1BobbyHazell

I've found Avast to be very good.
Norton Security? on 08:56 - May 5 with 1202 viewsMetallica_Hoop

My mate gave me one of his Norton pass thingies and I have to say after hating them 15 years ago it's really really good now, easy to use and doesn't slow the machine down at all.

The silent mode is great.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024