Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for Disco. 07:02 - May 21 with 6780 viewsPommyhoop

A quick heads up for a documentary on BBC1 next week..

Death of the Cockney: A BBC film, Last Whites Of The East End, reveals the seismic effects of mass migration on British communities - and how it's often ethnic minorities who are most worried by it

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3601730/A-BBC-film-Whites-East-End-revea
''
This is a beautifully made film which neither patronises nor sensationalises its subjects. And it does not mince its words – which may explain why the BBC has put it in a late-night slot at 10.45pm and given it minimal pre-publicity.
No doubt, if it was about Tory cuts or the bedroom tax or the arts or was presented by the ubiquitous cross-dressing potter Grayson Perry, it would enjoy loud hurrahs on Newsnight or Radio 4. But I have yet to see a single trailer.
The BBC high-ups would probably prefer it to receive a minimum of fuss. After all, it leaves you realising that the East End we see on its flagship soap, EastEnders, is all wrong.'

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

One for Disco. on 08:22 - May 21 with 4273 viewsLongsufferingR

Surely if the BBC didn't want to give it publicity, they wouldn't have made it in the first place?
One for Disco. on 08:30 - May 21 with 4249 viewsWilloW4

Cheers for the heads up pommyhoop, I'll watch it and probably be very saddened by it... All my family on my dads side left the east end awhile ago.i worked around there a few months back...not a nice experience.
One for Disco. on 10:11 - May 21 with 4158 viewsDiscodroids

I mentioned it last week Pommy. It will feature my dads working mans club Next to west ham football ground. He was interviewed in it along with my uncle Peter Bell. Hope it survives the cut. Thinking about it perhaps i dont !.

There was a double page spread on it in last weeks Sun, Featuring beautiful downtown East Ham and upton park.

The production company contacted the club about 6 to 9 months ago to make the programme. I doubt very much that it will reflect very well on anyone, either the makers or the participants, or indeed give a true account of life in the area that i lived in for 25 years and that some school friends and a few family members still do.

My sister Abi the Primary school Newham history coordinator and 'The Mother of Elmhurst school',as she is known by the pupils and parents and Who i have talked about on here, has Recently left after 25 years teaching at the school to teach in essex, was more MI 5 Agent than teacher, was asked to contribute to the programme.

she wisely declined. Shes an east end girl that does'nt want to shit on her own doorstep, least of all to a tv audience . Its going to be a canderel job by the production company.
[Post edited 21 May 2016 10:32]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

One for Disco. on 16:07 - May 21 with 3984 viewsPommyhoop

One for Disco. on 10:11 - May 21 by Discodroids

I mentioned it last week Pommy. It will feature my dads working mans club Next to west ham football ground. He was interviewed in it along with my uncle Peter Bell. Hope it survives the cut. Thinking about it perhaps i dont !.

There was a double page spread on it in last weeks Sun, Featuring beautiful downtown East Ham and upton park.

The production company contacted the club about 6 to 9 months ago to make the programme. I doubt very much that it will reflect very well on anyone, either the makers or the participants, or indeed give a true account of life in the area that i lived in for 25 years and that some school friends and a few family members still do.

My sister Abi the Primary school Newham history coordinator and 'The Mother of Elmhurst school',as she is known by the pupils and parents and Who i have talked about on here, has Recently left after 25 years teaching at the school to teach in essex, was more MI 5 Agent than teacher, was asked to contribute to the programme.

she wisely declined. Shes an east end girl that does'nt want to shit on her own doorstep, least of all to a tv audience . Its going to be a canderel job by the production company.

Ah ok Dude,I didn't see your previous mention. I thought of you when the article I read mentioned the East Ham Working Mans.I remember you talking about it before.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

One for Disco. on 18:01 - May 21 with 3908 viewsBoston

You could make that documentary in half of London. Come for a walk with me through Wembley.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

One for Disco. on 09:39 - May 22 with 3712 viewsDorse

Scene: Exterior. Day. Stacey Dooley walks toward the camera down a bustling high street.
'This busy urban high street used to be entirely filled with Pearly Kings and Queens. But today, this is just a memory.'

Cut to SD with a wheelie bin:
'The rise of recycling has seen the dustmen become Recycling Enginners'.

Cut to SD outside a tower block:
'No longer do people's old men live in Council high rise accommodation'.

Cut to SD in a run-down shop:
'And this man used to employ 30 staff but now he is lucky to sell 5 pairs of gorblimey trousers in a month.'

Tight shot to SD's tearful face:
'At this rate, barrels will be left unrolled and the Lambeth Walk replaced by a CityLink service within 5 years.'

(Music swells as the camera pans back to show her standing outside a closed former Eel Jellying plant)

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

One for Disco. on 10:50 - May 22 with 3668 viewsLblock

One for Disco. on 09:39 - May 22 by Dorse

Scene: Exterior. Day. Stacey Dooley walks toward the camera down a bustling high street.
'This busy urban high street used to be entirely filled with Pearly Kings and Queens. But today, this is just a memory.'

Cut to SD with a wheelie bin:
'The rise of recycling has seen the dustmen become Recycling Enginners'.

Cut to SD outside a tower block:
'No longer do people's old men live in Council high rise accommodation'.

Cut to SD in a run-down shop:
'And this man used to employ 30 staff but now he is lucky to sell 5 pairs of gorblimey trousers in a month.'

Tight shot to SD's tearful face:
'At this rate, barrels will be left unrolled and the Lambeth Walk replaced by a CityLink service within 5 years.'

(Music swells as the camera pans back to show her standing outside a closed former Eel Jellying plant)

Like....literally

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

One for Disco. on 15:55 - May 22 with 3573 viewspaulparker

One for Disco. on 10:11 - May 21 by Discodroids

I saw the write up in the mail and thought of you disco pretty much what you have been saying on here for ages was in that article , total shame what's happened to parts of London some are third world ghettos whilst the rest are for rich, Arab,Chinese , Russians ,
I think about my family who lived and came from the bush , Notting hill, Ravenscourt Park
It's a different world to today but what great people they were with decent values , also the different characters made these places what they were , you can never replace those days but we have exterminated them
Crying shame indeed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

One for Disco. on 16:09 - May 22 with 3559 viewsBrixtonR

To be fair not all of London...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/video/2011/aug/10/eltham-riots-police-videos
One for Disco. on 17:29 - May 22 with 3501 viewsRangersw12

I reckon you watch that video at least once a day !

South London pikey
One for Disco. on 17:53 - May 22 with 3470 viewsBrixtonR

One for Disco. on 17:29 - May 22 by Rangersw12

I reckon you watch that video at least once a day !

South London pikey

Twice :- )

I hate hate

wanna buy some clothes pegs ?
One for Disco. on 19:48 - May 22 with 3405 viewsRickyDicky

One for Disco. on 16:09 - May 22 by BrixtonR

To be fair not all of London...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/video/2011/aug/10/eltham-riots-police-videos

Jeeze, I lived there 30 years ago, man the place has changed. Not for the better by the looks of it.

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

One for Disco. on 20:00 - May 22 with 3381 viewsBrixtonR

One for Disco. on 19:48 - May 22 by RickyDicky

Jeeze, I lived there 30 years ago, man the place has changed. Not for the better by the looks of it.

Why ?
One for Disco. on 20:08 - May 22 with 3374 viewsloftboy

Spend every other weekend in the area, about 150 yards from the Boleyn to be precise, firstly I'm glad i had my TB jab when I was at school, the eastern Europeans greatest past time is spitting, its everywhere, they are probably displacing the moslem community there as the biggest percentage of residents, my girlfriends next door neighbours are Bulgarian, they party 24-7, not to mention the lot over the road who own a cockerel,bloody hell its loud, she has just put her two up two down on the market for 360K, she reckons it Will sell in no time,probably to an eastern European landlord. Theres no such thing as queuing for a bus, use them a fair bit when I'm there, get a few funny looks as when the bus turns up I always shout "scramble" as the fúckers dont know the British way of lining up. Cant wait until she's moved as I don't think the area is safe for her or her daughter.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

One for Disco. on 20:48 - May 22 with 3325 viewsLongsufferingR

One for Disco. on 20:08 - May 22 by loftboy

Spend every other weekend in the area, about 150 yards from the Boleyn to be precise, firstly I'm glad i had my TB jab when I was at school, the eastern Europeans greatest past time is spitting, its everywhere, they are probably displacing the moslem community there as the biggest percentage of residents, my girlfriends next door neighbours are Bulgarian, they party 24-7, not to mention the lot over the road who own a cockerel,bloody hell its loud, she has just put her two up two down on the market for 360K, she reckons it Will sell in no time,probably to an eastern European landlord. Theres no such thing as queuing for a bus, use them a fair bit when I'm there, get a few funny looks as when the bus turns up I always shout "scramble" as the fúckers dont know the British way of lining up. Cant wait until she's moved as I don't think the area is safe for her or her daughter.

"British way of lining up"? It's all white, middle class people on the train I get into work and there's selfish, ill-mannered, inconsiderate behaviour every day.

Bad manners and anti-social behaviour are equally rife in all sections of London society unfortunately.
One for Disco. on 21:26 - May 22 with 3279 viewsRickyDicky

One for Disco. on 20:00 - May 22 by BrixtonR

Why ?

We didnt have to defend our streets !
[Post edited 22 May 2016 21:27]

One for Disco. on 21:30 - May 22 with 3270 viewsBrixtonR

One for Disco. on 21:26 - May 22 by RickyDicky

We didnt have to defend our streets !
[Post edited 22 May 2016 21:27]

To be fair eltham was the next target not that they would have got much.
One for Disco. on 21:47 - May 22 with 3241 viewsBoston

When I was a youngster, I remember there were people, teachers, local politicians and other know alls, who liked to crow about how sad America was, especially the cities because most of the European descent had departed to the suburbs to avoid those from other continents. Hope they've lived long enough to talk out of the other side of their mouths.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

One for Disco. on 22:27 - May 22 with 3201 viewsRickyDicky

One for Disco. on 21:30 - May 22 by BrixtonR

To be fair eltham was the next target not that they would have got much.

Ok

One for Disco. on 23:49 - May 24 with 3042 viewsCroydonCaptJack

That was an excellent programme. Seismic changes in that area and a loss of local identity.
One for Disco. on 23:50 - May 24 with 3042 viewsloftboy

That was pretty crap really, all about one family whos daughter is basically moving down the road, barely touched on the eastern European contingent which is now huge in that area.
Which one was your old man disco?
[Post edited 24 May 2016 23:50]

One for Disco. on 00:15 - May 25 with 3009 viewsCroydonCaptJack

One for Disco. on 23:50 - May 24 by loftboy

That was pretty crap really, all about one family whos daughter is basically moving down the road, barely touched on the eastern European contingent which is now huge in that area.
Which one was your old man disco?
[Post edited 24 May 2016 23:50]

That's a bit harsh mate. There were several characters featured not just that family.
One for Disco. on 00:20 - May 25 with 3000 viewsloftboy

One for Disco. on 00:15 - May 25 by CroydonCaptJack

That's a bit harsh mate. There were several characters featured not just that family.

The programme could have been a lot more hard hitting than it actually was.

One for Disco. on 01:25 - May 25 with 2968 viewseastside_r

Poignant and a somewhat lovely programme.
One for Disco. on 01:38 - May 25 with 2952 viewsWilloW4

One for Disco. on 01:25 - May 25 by eastside_r

Poignant and a somewhat lovely programme.

I see your point eastside... But it left me feeling completely at a loss about cockney culture and heritage which is dying by the day in the east end.. It was a typical BBC documentary.. It kicked off with a moody shot of a st.george flag tattered and torn blowing on an estate..too much about the girl moving 40mins away..made the family seem silly ...any shots of newham high street were selective.. The old boys in the working men's club were a joy..but it fell flat with editing back to an Indian fella telling us he's a cockney and proud of it...it was a hoch poch of a programme.. It was very average, not a reflection of newham at all.. It's a lot fecking worse.!!.. It was the BBC.!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024