Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand interview 11:07 - May 23 with 24144 viewsNorthernr

Three parts to this, don't say I don't do anything for you...

Part one is about the background to him getting the job, Harry Redknapp, that January transfer window...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/42910

Part two is on Chris Ramsey, Neil Warnock and Steve Gallen and everything that happened basically July to December last year.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/42911

And part three is this summer and next season

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/42912
Les Ferdinand interview on 22:24 - May 23 with 2435 viewsQPRDave

Les Ferdinand interview on 21:41 - May 23 by daveB

So you are not interested in Warnock? That makes a change

david david david david.. .I know you must be joking, cause that post was yr 6 at best or in old money, last yr at primary skool!!
Les Ferdinand interview on 22:29 - May 23 with 2405 viewsQPRDave

Les Ferdinand interview on 22:16 - May 23 by Northernr

You're nearly as bad at lying as you are at trolling.

I'm telling you Clive I haven't read it. Read the 3rd and it was ok. I'm not trolling btw how many times ?
I don't bleat along with your sheep ....that's a difference of opinion not trolling.
What does he say about sir Neil?....some on here are desperate for me to read it so I can only assume it's more along the lines of" Great bloke, great manager, didn't know he wanted job" guff
Les Ferdinand interview on 22:30 - May 23 with 2411 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Les Ferdinand interview on 22:24 - May 23 by QPRDave

david david david david.. .I know you must be joking, cause that post was yr 6 at best or in old money, last yr at primary skool!!

Are you familiar with the works of John Cooper Clarke Dave?
Les Ferdinand interview on 22:35 - May 23 with 2383 viewsQPRDave

Les Ferdinand interview on 22:30 - May 23 by BazzaInTheLoft

Are you familiar with the works of John Cooper Clarke Dave?

No Baz, it's mostly Balfour Beatty & Dean & Dyball round my way!
Les Ferdinand interview (n/t) on 23:08 - May 23 with 2331 viewsPunteR

Les Ferdinand interview on 22:29 - May 23 by QPRDave

I'm telling you Clive I haven't read it. Read the 3rd and it was ok. I'm not trolling btw how many times ?
I don't bleat along with your sheep ....that's a difference of opinion not trolling.
What does he say about sir Neil?....some on here are desperate for me to read it so I can only assume it's more along the lines of" Great bloke, great manager, didn't know he wanted job" guff

[Post edited 23 May 2016 23:17]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Les Ferdinand interview on 23:18 - May 23 with 2307 viewsPommyhoop

Les Ferdinand interview (n/t) on 23:08 - May 23 by PunteR

[Post edited 23 May 2016 23:17]

He's read it. I even put up a couple of paragraphs concerning Neil Warnock just for him.
Baaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaa.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Les Ferdinand interview on 23:43 - May 23 with 2257 viewsNeil_SI

Great interview, well done Clive.

It's also nice to see the club willing to allow these kind of interviews to happen. The media team deserve credit for this. A few years back they were public enemy number one and under intense pressure from all directions, but they've batted down and taken on the responsibility and challenge of trying to build relationships with supporters, supporters groups and fan sites and that's culminated in this interview and the last one Clive did with Fernandes.

Believe me, that won't have been easy for them to do at the time, but we've all come a long way in that period and it gives us a platform to build on.

Back to the interview. I enjoyed Ferdinand's responses; candid but with the right balance of professionalism. We should all be very proud of him as well, he's done marvellously well for a working class lad who's come up through the ranks with us. Just look at what he's achieved through hard work and dedication.

Not only did he develop into a fine footballer and one of the best strikers of his era in this country, he's also fought hard to earn the job he's got today. He had to work for it, even if he had to come home to get the opportunity he craved. We owed him that. We're supposed to be that kind of club.

And all throughout, Ferdinand remains polite, humble and respectful at the same time, but with that streetwise edge he's always had. I think he's first class, I really do. He's a symbol of everything we want to see in hungry ambitious people and while he's not yet the finished article in the role he has currently and will no doubt make mistakes — he offers a fine example and hope to anybody with aspirations of their own.
Les Ferdinand interview on 23:49 - May 23 with 2242 viewsdaveB

Les Ferdinand interview on 22:24 - May 23 by QPRDave

I don't know what I find more baffling really. You choosing to ignore comments which explain why the club didn't appoint Warnock (you don't have to agree with them but it's interesting to know why) or the fact you are posting on a thread you say you are not interested in
Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand interview on 00:04 - May 24 with 2225 viewsNorthernr

Les Ferdinand interview on 23:49 - May 23 by daveB

I don't know what I find more baffling really. You choosing to ignore comments which explain why the club didn't appoint Warnock (you don't have to agree with them but it's interesting to know why) or the fact you are posting on a thread you say you are not interested in

Actually, at eight posts and counting, Dave's more interested than anybody else.
Les Ferdinand interview on 01:00 - May 24 with 2190 viewsHitch

I like the cut of his jib. Good interview, I read all three parts.
Les Ferdinand interview on 05:08 - May 24 with 2155 viewsmcqpr10

Great interview. Very honest. The thing is, this has been what Les has been saying for some time. He's been quite consistent i feel. He uses the word remit alot, and it's clear what he wants to do. Shift the big earners and buy young hungry players, he's also clear that not everyone of these lower league signings will be a success. It's refreshing. As a fanbase we need a dose of reality and lower expectations. Lee Hoos mentioned on the podcast how all he hears is fans wanting young players to do well, and cited Kpekwa coming on as sub and giving the ball away and hearing moans and groans. We need to make this a place people want to play at. Like the Holloway years, when that ground is rocking it's pretty intimidating.
Les Ferdinand interview on 06:19 - May 24 with 2128 viewsYorkRanger

Really interesting interview. Credit to the club for making him available and to Clive for asking some awkward questions.
Les Ferdinand interview on 07:10 - May 24 with 2098 viewsMonkey_Roots

I'm happier than I can remember in a long time in regards to how things are progressing behind the scenes at my club. We have not only some one who comes across as sensible, brave and committed to running the club effectively, but someone who properly cares for the club and its traditions, and understands that making tough decisions in the best interests of the fans who once cheered his name won't always be popular, but need to happen to get us where we want to go.

We have a good badge again too.

Really like Les.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:25 - May 24 with 2066 viewsQPRDave

Oh FFS, I'm off to work now, I'll read the 1st 2 parts when I get back ok Pommy,Punter dave ?

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:30 - May 24 with 2064 viewsMonkey_Roots

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:25 - May 24 by QPRDave

Oh FFS, I'm off to work now, I'll read the 1st 2 parts when I get back ok Pommy,Punter dave ?

can't wait to hear what insightful (or inciteful) opinions you have once you have actually read the entire thing.

Looking forward to it.

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:32 - May 24 with 2044 viewsQPRDave

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:30 - May 24 by Monkey_Roots

can't wait to hear what insightful (or inciteful) opinions you have once you have actually read the entire thing.

Looking forward to it.

Give it a rest you sh*t stirring tw*t....From someone who's main gripe was a f**king badge .......pathetic!!!
[Post edited 24 May 2016 7:34]
Les Ferdinand interview on 07:43 - May 24 with 2024 viewsNorthernr

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:25 - May 24 by QPRDave

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:44 - May 24 with 2022 viewsNorthernr

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:32 - May 24 by QPRDave

Give it a rest you sh*t stirring tw*t....From someone who's main gripe was a f**king badge .......pathetic!!!

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:48 - May 24 with 2014 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Cheers Clive
Great read
Obviously a big job for Lee Hoos as CEO, Les Ferdinand as DOF and Jimmy as manager

Only concern is Ferdinand says only 1 in 4 signings is a success
I believe we have to get ratio to at least 1 in 2 to turn us around faster

Ferdinand is a good talker I look forward to seeing who we recruit, sell and our position around late October / November to see how we are getting on

Football is a results business after all

U R's
Les Ferdinand interview on 07:57 - May 24 with 1999 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand interview on 23:43 - May 23 by Neil_SI

Great interview, well done Clive.

It's also nice to see the club willing to allow these kind of interviews to happen. The media team deserve credit for this. A few years back they were public enemy number one and under intense pressure from all directions, but they've batted down and taken on the responsibility and challenge of trying to build relationships with supporters, supporters groups and fan sites and that's culminated in this interview and the last one Clive did with Fernandes.

Believe me, that won't have been easy for them to do at the time, but we've all come a long way in that period and it gives us a platform to build on.

Back to the interview. I enjoyed Ferdinand's responses; candid but with the right balance of professionalism. We should all be very proud of him as well, he's done marvellously well for a working class lad who's come up through the ranks with us. Just look at what he's achieved through hard work and dedication.

Not only did he develop into a fine footballer and one of the best strikers of his era in this country, he's also fought hard to earn the job he's got today. He had to work for it, even if he had to come home to get the opportunity he craved. We owed him that. We're supposed to be that kind of club.

And all throughout, Ferdinand remains polite, humble and respectful at the same time, but with that streetwise edge he's always had. I think he's first class, I really do. He's a symbol of everything we want to see in hungry ambitious people and while he's not yet the finished article in the role he has currently and will no doubt make mistakes — he offers a fine example and hope to anybody with aspirations of their own.

Good post, Neil.

I agree with everything you're saying. I dreamt about Fernandes last night (it's ok I also dreamt that I lived in a windmill and that I was a black and white cat, so let's not waste time analysing my dreams!) so I was thinking about the ownership while making my porridge this morning.

What I found most satisfying from Ferdinand's interview was that there appears to be very little interference from Fernandes and the owners now. The main example was the clear inference that if Warnock had stated that he could do the job until the end of the season that Ferdinand would have "gone for that", and that Ferdinand's opinion was so trusted that it might have been enough on its own to decide the matter. Big change from Fernandes deciding on his Sweeney.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les Ferdinand interview on 08:55 - May 24 with 1929 viewsMonkey_Roots

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:32 - May 24 by QPRDave

Was this comment directed inwardly?

You are king of the sh*t stirrers mush, just giving you what you want - attention.

The badge was a great step forward, it wasn't my main gripe, but i'm pleased nonetheless.

Les Ferdinand interview on 09:40 - May 24 with 1871 viewsHunterhoop

Les Ferdinand interview on 07:57 - May 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post, Neil.

I agree with everything you're saying. I dreamt about Fernandes last night (it's ok I also dreamt that I lived in a windmill and that I was a black and white cat, so let's not waste time analysing my dreams!) so I was thinking about the ownership while making my porridge this morning.

What I found most satisfying from Ferdinand's interview was that there appears to be very little interference from Fernandes and the owners now. The main example was the clear inference that if Warnock had stated that he could do the job until the end of the season that Ferdinand would have "gone for that", and that Ferdinand's opinion was so trusted that it might have been enough on its own to decide the matter. Big change from Fernandes deciding on his Sweeney.

A black and white cat, you say, Brian? I wonder if that is an insight into your sub conscious desire to live in a world with only a "black and white" dichotomy on all issues, which is a desire hidden by your apparent willingness to embrace the complex and "grey", in the real world. You're clearly yearning for a simpler existence with straight choices to free you from your fug of reasonableness.

Away from your dreams....completely agree with you and Neil. The whole tone and gist of what Les has said since he's come and in, and in this interview, is exactly what a) we need as a club, and b) we need to hear as a fanbase. Expectations need to be a whole lot more realistic. Post war, we are 32nd or something in England. So, bang mid table. In terms of fanbase and ground size, we're at the lower end of the Championship. We've spent only 3 seasons out of the last 20 in the Prem.

Should the aim be to get back there? Yes, of course. Should the aim be to win a cup at some point? Yes, absolutely. Should the aim be to try to get into Europe once we're back in the Prem? Yes, it would be brilliant. But all these "successes" take time. You have to build the structure, ethos, culture and whole club before you're in a position to do this. Even Leicester have been building since Pearson came in when they were 17th or whatever it was in the Champ, and a bit of a mess. And even then their rise of 4.5 seasons has been meteoric. Look at Fulham, relatively comparable to us. Under Al Fayed, they progressed from the 4th tier to the Uefa Cup final....but it took well over a decade. You could argue the same thing for Wigan and their FA Cup win...and look at how quickly those successes can turn to failures.

To ensure we build a sustainable model for success, and to ensure we have a team and club we, as fans, can be proud of, you have to do things the right way. That means taking decisions which are in the long term interests of the club, not the short term. That is what Les is so clearly trying to do. We shouldn't have been demanding or expecting play offs this season or play offs next season. Yes, it would be nice. But it isn't the be all and end all of things. What is equally, if not more, important is that we get back to the club we once were, and away from the type of club we've been (fans included) in the last 3-4 years. This, in itself, will position us better for future successes than the continued short termism that has blighted the club in recent years.
Les Ferdinand interview on 09:50 - May 24 with 1861 viewsqprxtc

Disappointing.

Three pages of interview and not one word about the Blue Peter garden.

You won't get anywhere near The Sun with that kind of shoddy journalism.
Les Ferdinand interview on 11:10 - May 24 with 1757 viewsAntti_Heinola

Les Ferdinand interview on 19:39 - May 23 by Deano19766

Just a shame Les wasn't around at the start of the Fernandes rein. We may have actually achieved something (and in the 'right' way without attracting the 'fans' you get at 'the chels')

Also an interesting insight into what Les thinks about the modern game "The only thing I would say, and this is where the sport has changed as a whole, is I always wanted to play football." Straight to the point there. It's awful really. This is the reason many people don't care about the Prem any longer (although most of those 'traditional' football supporters seem to be easily replaced by tourists and the sort of people you get at 'the chels', which is a real shame). Game hijacked by Sky and the type of people who go down 'the Chels', and ending up with players who don't care whether or not they play as long as they get their ridiculously inflated swag every week.

Anyway I digress. Top interview. Let's hope Les' methods pay off and his visions come true.
[Post edited 23 May 2016 19:55]

Agree Deano, the game has changed so much in the last 25 years it's frightening.
But I can kind of also see the viewpoint of those players, in a way, even if I don't agree with it. When Les was playing, you tried to put out the same 11 every week if it was working. Les was also a fantastic player, so wherever he played he'd be first choice - and one of the reasons for that was his own drive to be the best.

But now, and for some time, it has become a (urgh) 'squad game'. So, if you are a player on a slightly lower level than Les, you have a choice. You could play every week, for example, for a team at the lower end of the Prem. Or, you could get paid more and be a squad player for Man City or whoever. And by doing that, you play less games, BUT you do win medals, even if your contribution is lower. Playing 10 games wins you a PL medal, in effect. So it's a choice, and it depends how you look at it. Not saying it's right or that I agree with it, mind!

Similarly, if you're a good Championship player, you *could* take a pay rise and be a squad player for Stoke / Southampton or whatever. Still play, but not regularly, you're no longer a big fish, but you're safeguarding your future.

Les, because he was smart, managed to do both of course, but that option isn't open to everyone. Although, perhaps it could be if those players had the kind of drive Les had!

Bare bones.

Les Ferdinand interview on 11:13 - May 24 with 1748 viewsPinnerPaul

Les Ferdinand interview on 11:10 - May 24 by Antti_Heinola

Agree Deano, the game has changed so much in the last 25 years it's frightening.
But I can kind of also see the viewpoint of those players, in a way, even if I don't agree with it. When Les was playing, you tried to put out the same 11 every week if it was working. Les was also a fantastic player, so wherever he played he'd be first choice - and one of the reasons for that was his own drive to be the best.

But now, and for some time, it has become a (urgh) 'squad game'. So, if you are a player on a slightly lower level than Les, you have a choice. You could play every week, for example, for a team at the lower end of the Prem. Or, you could get paid more and be a squad player for Man City or whoever. And by doing that, you play less games, BUT you do win medals, even if your contribution is lower. Playing 10 games wins you a PL medal, in effect. So it's a choice, and it depends how you look at it. Not saying it's right or that I agree with it, mind!

Similarly, if you're a good Championship player, you *could* take a pay rise and be a squad player for Stoke / Southampton or whatever. Still play, but not regularly, you're no longer a big fish, but you're safeguarding your future.

Les, because he was smart, managed to do both of course, but that option isn't open to everyone. Although, perhaps it could be if those players had the kind of drive Les had!

Quite right.

Two highest profile examples of your two scenarios are Bony at Man City and Charlie at Southampton.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024