Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? 12:21 - May 23 with 5992 viewsbosh67

Was very impressed with him in that position in the FA Cup. I have been a huge critic of his over the years. I think he is one of the world's best club football players but someone who has never really shone on a world stage, despite all his goals. He looked very solid and comfortable in the centre of midfield and there were, for me, shades of Pirlo there to be seen. With Rashford, Sturrisge, Kane and Vardy ahead he could be just the type of playmaker needed to help cause some upsets. Plus he is much fitter, trimmer and faster than he was 2 years ago.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:34 - May 23 with 3408 viewsdaveB

One thing is for sure in this tournament is that wherever Rooney plays the press will slate Hodgson for playing him there when he is better somewhere else.

I think he'll either play in the hole in a diamond midfield or wide in a 3 man attack
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:35 - May 23 with 3406 viewsbob566

i don't think so Bosh. You're setting the bar too high. I get what you are saying but he's a million miles from been a pirlo

i'll grant you in fairness that you did use the word "shades"
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:55 - May 23 with 3352 viewsconnell10

Remember rooney playing against us at home a few years back and to me he was the best player on that day that I've seen a Loftus road for many a year, real quality player and his vision and picking a player out is breath taking. So yeah in that roll I can see him having a good tournament.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:01 - May 23 with 3335 viewskingsburyR

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:55 - May 23 by connell10

Remember rooney playing against us at home a few years back and to me he was the best player on that day that I've seen a Loftus road for many a year, real quality player and his vision and picking a player out is breath taking. So yeah in that roll I can see him having a good tournament.

Ill double that.

Never rated Rooney that highly until I saw him in the flesh!!

His football brain was miles ahead of anyone else!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:03 - May 23 with 3327 viewsFredManRave

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/23/manchester-united-fans-hail-wayne-rooney-as-the-ne

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:11 - May 23 with 3315 viewsbosh67

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:03 - May 23 by FredManRave

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/23/manchester-united-fans-hail-wayne-rooney-as-the-ne

Blimey, hadn't seen that. Well, there you go.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:23 - May 23 with 3290 viewsdannyblue

If his name hadn't been Rooney, or he hadn't been playing with English refs, he'd have been sent off early in the second half. He won't get the level of exemption at the Euros that he's used to here and that's a big cause for concern for me if he plays in the middle.

He also gave the ball away a lot, because he tried ambitious passes when in dangerous positions. That could cost us heavily too. He needs to recalibrate ambition vs caution, and that will only come with the experience of playing games in the position.

Give it six months and he could be a great midfielder, but I'm not sure he will be for England this summer.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:30 - May 23 with 3271 viewssimmo

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:34 - May 23 by daveB

One thing is for sure in this tournament is that wherever Rooney plays the press will slate Hodgson for playing him there when he is better somewhere else.

I think he'll either play in the hole in a diamond midfield or wide in a 3 man attack

Yeah, 4-4-2 tight diamond with Rooney just behind Kane and Vardy. We haven't really got amazing out and out wingers and our full backs are really attacking, so it works. I don't see where he fits in a 4-3-3, he could play the same position in 4-2-3-1 but I think Vardy loses out there.

Plenty of options either way.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:36 - May 23 with 3240 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Maybe i'm reading too much into it, but Vardy seemed keen on Wiltshire behind him in the post match interview yesterday.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:37 - May 23 with 3233 viewsPinnerPaul

first part, I was thinking the same on Saturday
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:45 - May 23 with 3210 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

This is true, but lets not forget that was several years ago and SWP also pulled Newcastle and Man City apart that season.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:46 - May 23 with 3210 viewsJuzzie

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:01 - May 23 by kingsburyR

Ill double that.

Never rated Rooney that highly until I saw him in the flesh!!

His football brain was miles ahead of anyone else!

A 3rd from me. I was really impressed with him that day at LR. I know not everyone can get to games but being at games gives you so much more than you can see on TV.

He's no Pirlo but can be effective in this role.

Still ain't worth £300k a week though.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:49 - May 23 with 3197 viewsadhoc_qpr

Rooney has been appalling this season, but in the last few weeks he has shown something like his best form.

Still maddeningly inconsistent, even across 90 minutes, though.

Where would you play him though? although Alli wasn't great yesterday i'd still play him behind the striker over Rooney. And Rooney and Wilshere in centre midfield sounds like a recipe for trouble to me - likely to go brilliantly right or disastrously wrong at any given moment and no one could tell you which!
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:52 - May 23 with 3186 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

At the risk of furthering my happy clapper reputation, isn't it great to be considering Rooney non essential for the first time in a decade. Depth for the first time since 98.
[Post edited 23 May 2016 13:56]
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:54 - May 23 with 3177 viewsheadhoops

will be no room for him in the midfield.

Milner, Delph, Henderson and Jack Wheelchair first names on the teamsheet.

prove me wrong Roy, thought Rooney was by far the best player on the pitch Saturday. Plus he knows this is likely to be his last chance at a major tournament.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:59 - May 23 with 3162 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Spraying the ball around and looking good against the likes of Palace, Everton and QPR is one thing, doing it against Brazil, France, Germany and others is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

So close to a tournament as well isn't ideal and it feels more a case of him no longer being good enough up front, and so finding a place for him for the money he gets paid compared to a natural evolution in his play. Personally, I think if we're going to play anyone in the hole, the Alli might be a better option.

Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have arse-crack hair on his bonce? Can't have that at the top-top level!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:14 - May 23 with 3124 viewsdaveB

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:30 - May 23 by simmo

Yeah, 4-4-2 tight diamond with Rooney just behind Kane and Vardy. We haven't really got amazing out and out wingers and our full backs are really attacking, so it works. I don't see where he fits in a 4-3-3, he could play the same position in 4-2-3-1 but I think Vardy loses out there.

Plenty of options either way.

I wouldn't play him in a 4-3-3, has to be either Vardy or Sturridge out wide for that but I think he'll play so if we start with that system he'll be on the left
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:19 - May 23 with 3109 viewsPunteR

He hasn't got the same composure as Pirlo. Where Pirlo seemed to effortlessly be in the right place and the right time and control the tempo of a game, Rooney seems to be more impatient and try to force his game commiting silly fouls in the process. I think he'll run out of steam by the time we get to the knockout stages .
I'd rather see Rooney than Wiltshire though.
[Post edited 23 May 2016 16:12]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:27 - May 23 with 3085 viewsrobith

One neat run for the equaliser aside, I thought Rooney was woeful tbh. Dire control and touch, constantly gave the ball away - most notably for the Wickham incident, ran with the ball way too much
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:29 - May 23 with 3085 viewsdavman

Interesting perspective that, bosh. I thought Rooney was very poor on Saturday, especially in the first half where he gave the ball away as much as Joey Barton used to in his 'Hollywood' mode. Admittedly, he upped his work ethic once then went behind, but are you sure that you are not falling into the English trap of thinking he played well 'cos he ran about a bit and got stuck in?

His ball retention was pretty poor all the way through that game - a typically english performance...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:44 - May 23 with 3060 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I am more with Robith and Davman on Rooney's display on the weekend. Didn't think undertones of Pirlo shone through.

The fear is that RH will simply pick him because he is Rooney and on past reputation/expectations as opposed to current contribution. Is way back in terms of actual danger then the likes of Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Alli for my money.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:55 - May 23 with 3040 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Doesn't help that he has the look and build of a 49 year old plasterer who's just been thrown out of a Yate's wine lodge.
[Post edited 23 May 2016 14:58]
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:55 - May 23 with 3040 viewsRangersDave

Rooney?

Good lord, he shouldn't be anywhere near the England senior team.
Liverpool senior tarts for a fiver team, maybe

He's had enough chances, and not done anything. Typical papers bugging shrek up like they did beckham.

How long till we get the ubiquitous headline 'I'll win it for England 'roars' Wayne'?
We can and should do better, but while we keep appointing yes men as managers it will never happen!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 16:00 - May 23 with 2975 viewsPeterHucker

comparing Rooney to Pirlo is like comparing Zesh Rehman to Beckenbauer or Sammy Youssef to Lionel Messi.
The best thing that could happen in these friendlies going on is for Rooney to get injured, then we don't have to worry about having to find a position for him in a team that's much better without him.

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 16:27 - May 23 with 2934 viewsSonofNorfolt

Rooney is easily the best passer of the ball we have.
Comparisons with Pirlo are daft. Different positions, Rooney is quicker than Pirlo and can finish, Pirlo rarely gets that far up the pitch.
I seem to recall Iniesta, Xavi and Co taking the royal pisz out of him in the Euro 2012 final.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024