Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? 12:21 - May 23 with 5987 viewsbosh67

Was very impressed with him in that position in the FA Cup. I have been a huge critic of his over the years. I think he is one of the world's best club football players but someone who has never really shone on a world stage, despite all his goals. He looked very solid and comfortable in the centre of midfield and there were, for me, shades of Pirlo there to be seen. With Rashford, Sturrisge, Kane and Vardy ahead he could be just the type of playmaker needed to help cause some upsets. Plus he is much fitter, trimmer and faster than he was 2 years ago.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 17:06 - May 23 with 2541 viewsstevec

Superb run for the goal and good after that, but Rooney spent the first 75 minutes taking the easy option, in and out of possession. Hopefully, that reticence was mostly down to LVG tactics.

Anyway, anything that keeps him out of the forward line will be a bonus.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 18:03 - May 23 with 2512 viewsFredManRave

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:59 - May 23 by PlanetHonneywood

Spraying the ball around and looking good against the likes of Palace, Everton and QPR is one thing, doing it against Brazil, France, Germany and others is an entirely different kettle of fish altogether.

So close to a tournament as well isn't ideal and it feels more a case of him no longer being good enough up front, and so finding a place for him for the money he gets paid compared to a natural evolution in his play. Personally, I think if we're going to play anyone in the hole, the Alli might be a better option.

Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have arse-crack hair on his bonce? Can't have that at the top-top level!

Don't know which Planet you're on My Honeywood but on this one Brazil isn't in Europe.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 18:21 - May 23 with 2493 viewsJigsore

shoehorning in players where they don't be long as never negatively impacted the national team right?

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 22:20 - May 23 with 2446 viewsKerryE

Pretty much as said already...

1. In every premier league game I see he should get booked at least 4 times. He doesn't cos he's Wayne Rooney and plays for ManU.
In the euros he will just get sent off.

2. He can't play in midfield as he has been selected as a forward!
- or is he a special case?
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 23:14 - May 23 with 2417 viewsMancR

Bar one good run and an overhit cross that was rescued by a miss control from Marion that fell luckily to mata- Rooney was pants. Endless risk free sideways passes and when he did try anything more positive he gave the ball away.
Utd fans up here call him a wages thief. He's been awful all season but will get picked by the completely useless, cowardly dinosaur.
There sre better players for every position that he could play in.
Our Pirlo , very funny.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:00 - May 24 with 2352 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 18:03 - May 23 by FredManRave

Don't know which Planet you're on My Honeywood but on this one Brazil isn't in Europe.

Didn't say it was fella!

But the point being, one thing doing it against lesser sides, another against the top-top boys.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 13:26 - May 24 with 2318 viewsadhoc_qpr

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 22:20 - May 23 by KerryE

1. In every premier league game I see he should get booked at least 4 times. He doesn't cos he's Wayne Rooney and plays for ManU.

Him being sent off in the first game is probably the only thing that could stop Roy picking him!

Injury, form and better options in all positions certainly won't - he scored loads of goals against San Marino, Andorra etc don't you know?
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:58 - May 24 with 2292 viewsTacticalR

In my view Rooney lacks the hair to fulfil the role

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 15:07 - May 24 with 2279 viewstraininvain

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 22:20 - May 23 by KerryE

Not sure why he couldn't play in midfield even if he's been named as a forward. He could play in goal if Hodgson decides to put him here.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 06:47 - May 25 with 2207 viewsLadbrokeR

I think Rooney could be pivotal. That said the last week has served as a wake up call and really eroded any feint of hope of significant progression. The second half of Liverpool V Sevilla saw Clyne & Llalana all at sea I won't even mention Milner. The FA cup final managed to show piece Smallings attempted rugby tackle and I thought that Rose got done like skipper in the Turkey game. Now is the time for Neville to earn his money.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 08:50 - May 25 with 2182 viewsToast_R

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 16:27 - May 23 by SonofNorfolt

Rooney is easily the best passer of the ball we have.
Comparisons with Pirlo are daft. Different positions, Rooney is quicker than Pirlo and can finish, Pirlo rarely gets that far up the pitch.
I seem to recall Iniesta, Xavi and Co taking the royal pisz out of him in the Euro 2012 final.

Agree with that, Spain made him look poor and even Costa Rica nullified him easily in the last World Cup.

Hodgson never had a midfielder disciplined or capable enough to do a job on him which is a bit annoying considering he had two cracks at it.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 10:10 - May 25 with 2172 viewsingeminate

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 08:50 - May 25 by Toast_R

Agree with that, Spain made him look poor and even Costa Rica nullified him easily in the last World Cup.

Hodgson never had a midfielder disciplined or capable enough to do a job on him which is a bit annoying considering he had two cracks at it.

Live near Manchester and the chaps who drink in the local and went to to the game all had Rooney as their best player by a distance.

I think if it is him or Dele Ali then I'd go for Ali personally, but he he played v well recently in the deeper role.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 10:31 - May 25 with 2171 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:55 - May 23 by connell10

Remember rooney playing against us at home a few years back and to me he was the best player on that day that I've seen a Loftus road for many a year, real quality player and his vision and picking a player out is breath taking. So yeah in that roll I can see him having a good tournament.

Remember that day well. He was two moves ahead in his head.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 10:44 - May 25 with 2165 viewsHunterhoop

Am I missing something (quite possible)?

Surely Alli will play at 10 behind Kane in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1? Rooney might get in alongside Dier in CM behind Alli, or he'll play one side of Kane.

Surely the spine of Dier, Alli, Kane will be starting?! They play together week in week out, have had great seasons and are connecting well in the warm up games. It's also Hodgson's preferred shape.

I think Hodgson will play Rooney and Sterling either side of Kane, and he'll pair Milner or Wilshere (fitness depending) with Dier. My guess at his side in the first game would be:

Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
Dier Wilshere
Alli
Sterling Kane Rooney

Obvs the wide forwards will be expected to track back without the ball, but I think we'll set up quite attacking.

That isn't what I'd pick, btw, it's what I think Hodgson will pick. The squad he's picked is not built for 4-4-2 (sadly) as it's loaded with central and attacking midfielders...and forwards.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 11:01 - May 25 with 2154 viewsToast_R

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 10:44 - May 25 by Hunterhoop

Surely Alli will play at 10 behind Kane in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1? Rooney might get in alongside Dier in CM behind Alli, or he'll play one side of Kane.

Surely the spine of Dier, Alli, Kane will be starting?! They play together week in week out, have had great seasons and are connecting well in the warm up games. It's also Hodgson's preferred shape.

I think Hodgson will play Rooney and Sterling either side of Kane, and he'll pair Milner or Wilshere (fitness depending) with Dier. My guess at his side in the first game would be:

Hart
Dier Wilshere
Alli
Sterling Kane Rooney

Obvs the wide forwards will be expected to track back without the ball, but I think we'll set up quite attacking.

That isn't what I'd pick, btw, it's what I think Hodgson will pick. The squad he's picked is not built for 4-4-2 (sadly) as it's loaded with central and attacking midfielders...and forwards.

Indeed, having seen the shambolic defending in the last few games it really is going to be a case of trying to outscore the opposition. I'm not sure you can do that and get away with it too much at this level mind.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:08 - May 25 with 2140 viewsingeminate

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 10:44 - May 25 by Hunterhoop

Hart
Dier Wilshere
Alli
Sterling Kane Rooney

Interesting, has Rooney ever played in a non central role? Be it striker, in the hole or quarter back midfielder type? If not can he adapt and if so was he any good?
I'm coming at this from a position of ignorance, I've no idea.
Personally (and appreciate yours is guessing Roy's line up not yours) I'll be unhappy if sterling starts, he's been tosh most of the season, I'll prob get pelters for saying this, but if it was a direct player for player I'd go for Townsend ahead of him.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:26 - May 25 with 2132 viewsHunterhoop

Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 14:08 - May 25 by ingeminate

Interesting, has Rooney ever played in a non central role? Be it striker, in the hole or quarter back midfielder type? If not can he adapt and if so was he any good?
I'm coming at this from a position of ignorance, I've no idea.
Personally (and appreciate yours is guessing Roy's line up not yours) I'll be unhappy if sterling starts, he's been tosh most of the season, I'll prob get pelters for saying this, but if it was a direct player for player I'd go for Townsend ahead of him.

Yeah, you make a fair point on Sterling...but a) I think Hodgson likes him and b) he has proven to Hodgson he can deliver at the top level. People forget he was one of the best players for us in the WC and was genuinely excellent against Italy.

If he doesn't go for Sterling, it'll surely be Lallana in that position.

However, like you, for that specific position, part of me does think, of the squad, Townsend is the best fit.

I'm definitely of the view that you decide your formation and tactics as to how you want to play, and then you pick the best player available for each position. I hate the "let's put the best 11 players out there" mentality. This isn't Sunday League. As Leicester have shown very recently, it's about the team, and every player having a clear role and every player being able to deliver in that specific role.

Hodgson is likely to play this 4-3-3/ 4-2-3-1. Therefore, for those two forward wide positions, who can really play them?

The 26 is so overburdened with "central" players, who like playing off the no.9: Alli, Rooney, Barclay, Lallana, Sterling. Then you've got Vardy and Sturridge backing up Kane as the no. 9, if we play this shape. And then we've got Milner, Delph, Henderson, Dier, Wilshere....all who like to play your traditional central midfield.

It simply isn't a squad built for 4-4-2 as we have hardly any genuine wide players. We might play a diamond as the variation on the core 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 (whatever you call it) instead.

And this is all part of the reason we'll be so open. Our width in all of these formations will come from our full backs. Even in the 4-3-3, the wide forwards will naturally be more central players, and they'll want to cut inside and make runs inside the full back, between him and the centre half. The only midfield/forward he's picked who regularly makes to beat the full back on the outside is Townsend, but he may not make the 23.

So, because the full backs will be required to get up the pitch so much to offer the width, inevitably, they'll get caught out.

Therefore, if it was me, with this squad available (I wouldn't have picked this squad, mind), I'd play Dier AND Drinkwater in the two central midfield positions, because they two will have to be extremely positionally aware, excellent at reading the game, and excellent at covering across the back four. I just don't see Rooney or Wilshere (or Henderson or Milner) being astute enough, disciplined enough, and quick enough to read the play, to get across and fill in at left back, for example. They'll get caught too high up the pitch.

IF Hodgson plays the shape I alluded to in my earlier message (433) with Alli as the most forward "no. 10" of the 3 in midfield, he has to play two holding midfielders, two protectors, because it's very close to morphing into a 4-2-4, when we attack and a move breaks down due to a pass being intercepted after Alli has made a run. Wilshere will be a big gamble as one of those 2.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 18:43 - May 25 with 2087 viewsandygg

Wherever Rooney plays for England, he will stink the place out, just like he has done every tournament.
Could Rooney be our Pirlo in this tournament? on 12:25 - May 26 with 2036 viewsthemodfather

simply rooney goes as out and out striker or doesn't go, he is not a proven midfielder and certainly cannot be compared to pirlo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024