Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God is fading 11:40 - May 24 with 34071 viewsizlingtonhoop

Slowly, rationalism and reason pushes superstition aside.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-en

I for one find this encouraging.

I'm sure there are one or two who will shout 'the Muslims are gonna take over.'

They're not.
God is fading on 13:51 - May 27 with 2624 viewsFDC

God is fading on 12:20 - May 27 by PunteR

Gravity doesnt exist??
Mind. Blown.

Whats keeping me to the floor? I know i've put on a couple of pounds..

The curvature of space-time caused by mass moving through it, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity. Fck knows what that actually means, I'm no physicist, but it was all the rage at some point and as far as I understand it what we call gravity isn't actually a force that exists in any existing model of the universe.

But I think i'm right in saying that the theory of general relativity itself breaks down at the quantum level -- so again, it's not and nor has anyone ever claimed it to be a fact, but simply a model that explains observed phenomena. And general relativity has withstood incredible scrutiny, up until now at least!
[Post edited 27 May 2016 13:53]
God is fading on 13:58 - May 27 with 2605 viewsTheBlob

It's about time the gravity laws were repealed.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

God is fading on 13:59 - May 27 with 2595 viewsFDC

God is fading on 13:58 - May 27 by TheBlob

Is there nothing 38degrees wont touch?
God is fading on 14:23 - May 27 with 2573 viewsFDC

God is fading on 10:37 - May 27 by izlingtonhoop

Excellently posted Blob.

I hope the poster is not referring to me in particular as 'one dimensional' or having 'a little knowledge'. Whilst I don't claim theological expertise, anybody would struggle to find someone more interested in religion than I (obviously a committed atheist - if one can be committed to nothing) am, and I have read widely.

I have read a fair few books which speak for the existence of a god. They all seem to come to the same conclusion - it's fine to believe in a god whether there is one or not, and that there's no evidence for one doesn't really matter.
[Post edited 27 May 2016 11:06]

I totally agree with this. I have a lot of family members who are religious, at least nominally, but who aren't really interested in their (or any) religion. Whereas I'm an atheist but find religion fascinating as a fundamental artifact of human history.

(there are parallels with people who regard themselves as 'liberals', but who don't actually seem to know what it is they believe in beyond 'be nice' -- but that's a whole other can of worms!)
God is fading on 15:21 - May 27 with 2549 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 14:23 - May 27 by FDC

I totally agree with this. I have a lot of family members who are religious, at least nominally, but who aren't really interested in their (or any) religion. Whereas I'm an atheist but find religion fascinating as a fundamental artifact of human history.

(there are parallels with people who regard themselves as 'liberals', but who don't actually seem to know what it is they believe in beyond 'be nice' -- but that's a whole other can of worms!)

It's called being agnostic really,like saying the opposite of love is indifference rather than hate.Although I don't believe in some anthropomorphic deity with a big fukkoff beard sitting on a cloud I do believe in existence after this one.
There is a touch of the engineer/programmer about the Universe.It's just too organised and structured right down to the subatomic level to be just blind evolution.imho of course.But then who creates the creators?Wonderfully mind boggling.

God is fading on 15:33 - May 27 with 2532 viewskensalriser

Religion didn't create our culture. Our culture created religion.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

God is fading on 15:49 - May 27 with 2516 viewsQPR_Jim

God is fading on 12:04 - May 27 by PunteR

Thats the difference between me and you Izlington.
When i'm sitting in my garden observing nature and i think "how the heck did all of this get to work so well" the natural selection option doesn't seem exciting and satisfying.

For a cell to survive at least 3 different types of complex molecules must work together - DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) RNA(ribonucleic acid) and proteins. They cant work without the other. And If we break down anyone of those three they are each made of complex molecules that work in tandem in a very specific way.
If we go back to day dot where the very first molecule somehow formed, how did it meet the next molecule? and if say for arguments sake you had all these random chemicals somehow meeting,forming ,developing, reproducing ,evolving, why is it doing that?
The natural selection theory is based on random chance events . Lets go forward a billion trillion years to me in my back garden. I'm sitting there with a nice cold beer in my hand , the warmth of the sun on my face, looking at my beautiful Rhododendron blooming into flower. Am i here by chance? That doesn't seem a satisfying answer to me.
Nature all works perfectly ,everything has very specific roles. Its like the cell. You cant have one part of nature without the other. To me it looks designed that way, by a celestial clay modeler if you like.

Its an interesting subject . I guess the next question would be if there was/is a god and nature works perfectly ,why do humans keep messing it up?
I do think religion hasn't helped in making sure everyone gets along with each other. The opposite in fact, It has been divisive.

One thing i definitely dont believe and thats the "hand of god" helping Diego Maradona score against England.
I think we can all agree on that one. ;)
[Post edited 28 May 2016 0:07]

If I remember correctly whilst reading a brief history of time Stephen Hawkin came across as religious, that's not to say he is religious but he certainly didn't rule it out.

I think it's called the anthropic principle that in order for you to be in your garden observing everything a certain set of parameters needed to be in place, without them you wouldn't be there to observe.
God is fading on 16:38 - May 27 with 2478 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 12:04 - May 27 by PunteR

Thats the difference between me and you Izlington.
When i'm sitting in my garden observing nature and i think "how the heck did all of this get to work so well" the natural selection option doesn't seem exciting and satisfying.

For a cell to survive at least 3 different types of complex molecules must work together - DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) RNA(ribonucleic acid) and proteins. They cant work without the other. And If we break down anyone of those three they are each made of complex molecules that work in tandem in a very specific way.
If we go back to day dot where the very first molecule somehow formed, how did it meet the next molecule? and if say for arguments sake you had all these random chemicals somehow meeting,forming ,developing, reproducing ,evolving, why is it doing that?
The natural selection theory is based on random chance events . Lets go forward a billion trillion years to me in my back garden. I'm sitting there with a nice cold beer in my hand , the warmth of the sun on my face, looking at my beautiful Rhododendron blooming into flower. Am i here by chance? That doesn't seem a satisfying answer to me.
Nature all works perfectly ,everything has very specific roles. Its like the cell. You cant have one part of nature without the other. To me it looks designed that way, by a celestial clay modeler if you like.

Its an interesting subject . I guess the next question would be if there was/is a god and nature works perfectly ,why do humans keep messing it up?
I do think religion hasn't helped in making sure everyone gets along with each other. The opposite in fact, It has been divisive.

One thing i definitely dont believe and thats the "hand of god" helping Diego Maradona score against England.
I think we can all agree on that one. ;)
[Post edited 28 May 2016 0:07]

Sorry,didn't see this post.Said something similar,great minds think alike even down to the clay tinkerer.
There's a lovely little story by Eric Frank Russell called "Hobbyist" which goes along those lines.

Tiger Tiger. burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Login to get fewer ads

God is fading (n/t) on 03:21 - May 28 with 2436 viewsFDC

God is fading on 16:38 - May 27 by TheBlob

Sorry,didn't see this post.Said something similar,great minds think alike even down to the clay tinkerer.
There's a lovely little story by Eric Frank Russell called "Hobbyist" which goes along those lines.

Tiger Tiger. burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

[Post edited 28 May 2016 3:48]
God is fading on 00:13 - May 29 with 2352 viewsBrightonhoop

I dont see any gods fading. The olive trees here are amazing, as are the lemon trees. You cant grow them anywhere in this Universe but here, There are not grazing fresians in the outer regions.

Just my view. We own a gem. That is all.

Good luck with you grazing rights off planet. We need to respect this unique and wonderful place. If you are partial to fillet steak and north atlantic prawn that is.
God is fading on 00:45 - May 29 with 2339 viewsballbag

God doesn't exist.
God is fading on 09:32 - May 29 with 2298 viewsDorse

God is fading on 00:45 - May 29 by ballbag

God doesn't exist.

Depends on your definition. Rabbi says to the atheist: 'You know that God you don't believe in? I don't believe in it either'.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

God is fading on 10:45 - May 29 with 2272 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 00:13 - May 29 by Brightonhoop

I dont see any gods fading. The olive trees here are amazing, as are the lemon trees. You cant grow them anywhere in this Universe but here, There are not grazing fresians in the outer regions.

Just my view. We own a gem. That is all.

Good luck with you grazing rights off planet. We need to respect this unique and wonderful place. If you are partial to fillet steak and north atlantic prawn that is.

Hmm.. all things bright and beautiful.

I totally agree, They are.

This from today's paper might get you thinking about how they got there:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/29/selfish-gene-40-years-richard-da
God is fading on 11:00 - May 29 with 2265 viewsClive_Anderson

So the religion that Western liberal values are based on is fading and the one that sharia law is based on is growing rapidly. Hooray.
God is fading on 11:05 - May 29 with 2257 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 11:00 - May 29 by Clive_Anderson

So the religion that Western liberal values are based on is fading and the one that sharia law is based on is growing rapidly. Hooray.

You took your time...
God is fading on 11:18 - May 29 with 2242 viewsClive_Anderson

God is fading on 11:05 - May 29 by izlingtonhoop

You took your time...

Oh right I didn't realise the thread was just for tedious left wingers to w*nk each other off in.

I'll show myself out.
God is fading on 11:37 - May 29 with 2228 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 11:18 - May 29 by Clive_Anderson

Oh right I didn't realise the thread was just for tedious left wingers to w*nk each other off in.

I'll show myself out.

I can't speak for all tedious left wingers. But I certainly find the whole "the Muslims are going to eat our babies!" bullsh1t beyond tedious...

Although no one said your views aren't invited.
God is fading on 11:38 - May 29 with 2228 viewsTacticalR

It's interesting the way Clive_Anderson seeks to tribalize any discussion.

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 13:26 - May 29 with 2196 viewsClive_Anderson

God is fading on 11:38 - May 29 by TacticalR

It's interesting the way Clive_Anderson seeks to tribalize any discussion.

The original post seemed quite tribal to me setting out which ideas were and weren't welcome in the thread. But you can blame me if it makes you feel better.

By the way I notice the US spelling of tribalize, are you an American? That would explain a lot about your views (as well as your love of stat based football articles).
God is fading on 13:29 - May 29 with 2189 viewsTheBlob

Has anybody mentioned Hitler yet?

God is fading on 13:58 - May 29 with 2165 viewsTacticalR

God is fading on 13:26 - May 29 by Clive_Anderson

The original post seemed quite tribal to me setting out which ideas were and weren't welcome in the thread. But you can blame me if it makes you feel better.

By the way I notice the US spelling of tribalize, are you an American? That would explain a lot about your views (as well as your love of stat based football articles).

Shepherd's Bush born and bred as mentioned on a previous thread...
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/75708

Is the idea that anyone who doesn't share your views must be a foreigner?

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 14:02 - May 29 with 2158 viewsClive_Anderson

God is fading on 13:58 - May 29 by TacticalR

Shepherd's Bush born and bred as mentioned on a previous thread...
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/75708

Is the idea that anyone who doesn't share your views must be a foreigner?

No I just assumed you would be able to spell properly.

And I thought it might explain your argument techniques. Appeals to authority and personal attacks for example.
[Post edited 29 May 2016 14:05]
God is fading on 14:12 - May 29 with 2138 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

God is fading on 14:02 - May 29 by Clive_Anderson

No I just assumed you would be able to spell properly.

And I thought it might explain your argument techniques. Appeals to authority and personal attacks for example.
[Post edited 29 May 2016 14:05]

Come on let's not have another conflict over religion......
God is fading on 14:28 - May 29 with 2110 viewsClive_Anderson

God is fading on 14:12 - May 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Come on let's not have another conflict over religion......

Better start praying it doesn't happen.
God is fading on 19:21 - May 29 with 2029 viewsjohncharles

God is fading on 13:58 - May 27 by TheBlob

Quite right too. Bloody gravity. If it wasn't for Gravity I wouldn't fall over on the way home from the pub.

Strong and stable my arse.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024