Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God is fading 11:40 - May 24 with 33479 viewsizlingtonhoop

Slowly, rationalism and reason pushes superstition aside.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-en

I for one find this encouraging.

I'm sure there are one or two who will shout 'the Muslims are gonna take over.'

They're not.
God is fading on 19:23 - May 29 with 3737 viewsCiderwithRsie

God is fading on 19:21 - May 29 by johncharles

Quite right too. Bloody gravity. If it wasn't for Gravity I wouldn't fall over on the way home from the pub.

It's the Original Gravity that I struggle with.
God is fading on 19:33 - May 29 with 3734 viewsjohncharles

Anyway, it's Sunday, the Lord's day, no football so why not give God some air time ? Last time he heard from you lot was when you had that cancer check or when you wanted a ticket for the Wembley playoff final. To be fair, he came up trumps that day. Does anyone have any pics of God in hooped shirt ?
Not you Celtic, north of the border don't count where religion is like a bit of a dodgy subject.

Now when I talk to God I know he'll understand
Sit by me and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me too

Strong and stable my arse.

God is fading on 20:21 - May 29 with 3702 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 10:45 - May 29 by izlingtonhoop

Hmm.. all things bright and beautiful.

I totally agree, They are.

This from today's paper might get you thinking about how they got there:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/29/selfish-gene-40-years-richard-da

Interesting article and a good attempt at explaining natural selection . Correct me if i'm wrong though but i thought the article undone all its theory about the "selfish" gene with this comment -
"Logically, a metabolism of sorts must have preceded the establishment of the first selfish gene, and some of us now think that it might have occurred deep in the geological crannies in the ocean floors some 4bn years ago."

It still doesnt explain how it all started and fobbed it off with comments about crannies in the ocean floor billions of years ago..
It ties in with my comment about the cell not working without molecules working together for it to survive. Different components including this so called selfish gene would have to "evolve" at the same time for it to work. I mean, one tiny molecules forming out of thin air is one thing but hundreds ? at the same time? assimilating , reproducing?. Why aren't fish still evolving? Not only have we got thousands of different species , but each one has a male and female gene ..Sorry but evolution is too far fetched for me.
Another question. How comes every species of life doesn't have a conscience. How comes only humans have a built in method of knowing right from wrong? Surely if we are just chemicals randomly thrown together and it was just a matter of survival of the fittest than why do we have emotions.?why does food taste so good, why do we enjoy life. The survival bit (work etc) is a flipping bore.
I dont buy it and still think theres a designer behind it all. That seems to make more sense.
Evolution makes a great music vid though..and ironically shows the absurdity of it. Imho.
[Post edited 29 May 2016 22:20]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

God is fading on 20:58 - May 29 with 3678 viewsShotKneesHoop

God is fading on 20:21 - May 29 by PunteR

Interesting article and a good attempt at explaining natural selection . Correct me if i'm wrong though but i thought the article undone all its theory about the "selfish" gene with this comment -
"Logically, a metabolism of sorts must have preceded the establishment of the first selfish gene, and some of us now think that it might have occurred deep in the geological crannies in the ocean floors some 4bn years ago."

It still doesnt explain how it all started and fobbed it off with comments about crannies in the ocean floor billions of years ago..
It ties in with my comment about the cell not working without molecules working together for it to survive. Different components including this so called selfish gene would have to "evolve" at the same time for it to work. I mean, one tiny molecules forming out of thin air is one thing but hundreds ? at the same time? assimilating , reproducing?. Why aren't fish still evolving? Not only have we got thousands of different species , but each one has a male and female gene ..Sorry but evolution is too far fetched for me.
Another question. How comes every species of life doesn't have a conscience. How comes only humans have a built in method of knowing right from wrong? Surely if we are just chemicals randomly thrown together and it was just a matter of survival of the fittest than why do we have emotions.?why does food taste so good, why do we enjoy life. The survival bit (work etc) is a flipping bore.
I dont buy it and still think theres a designer behind it all. That seems to make more sense.
Evolution makes a great music vid though..and ironically shows the absurdity of it. Imho.

"I dont buy it and still think theres a designer behind it all. That seems to make more sense."

That means that Rednapp could be the designer! The ultimate Wheeler / Dealer of fate.

Which is the perfect argument for evolution - things that evolving from chemical and physical reactions - without a Rosie bank account to to finance some `'top, top, triffok, triffick fings what sort of happened to fall in front of me."

That makes far more sense. There is no right or wrong - just happenings. Especially if you have invested in a shyte personal pension which looks like it was cooked up "deep in the geological crannies in the ocean floors some 4bn years ago."

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

God is fading on 21:03 - May 29 with 3674 viewsShotKneesHoop

Barnsley 3 Millwall 1 - maybe there is a god with hoops on after all.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

God is fading on 21:06 - May 29 with 3670 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 20:58 - May 29 by ShotKneesHoop

"I dont buy it and still think theres a designer behind it all. That seems to make more sense."

That means that Rednapp could be the designer! The ultimate Wheeler / Dealer of fate.

Which is the perfect argument for evolution - things that evolving from chemical and physical reactions - without a Rosie bank account to to finance some `'top, top, triffok, triffick fings what sort of happened to fall in front of me."

That makes far more sense. There is no right or wrong - just happenings. Especially if you have invested in a shyte personal pension which looks like it was cooked up "deep in the geological crannies in the ocean floors some 4bn years ago."

Redknapp is in cahoots with Beelzebub.

God is fading on 22:36 - May 29 with 3622 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 19:21 - May 29 by johncharles

Quite right too. Bloody gravity. If it wasn't for Gravity I wouldn't fall over on the way home from the pub.

If it wasn't for gravity "hilarious" shows like You've Been Framed could not have existed.

Gravity is very unkind to tits and nut sacs.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

God is fading on 22:50 - May 29 with 3609 viewsBoston

God is fading on 22:36 - May 29 by TheBlob

If it wasn't for gravity "hilarious" shows like You've Been Framed could not have existed.

Gravity is very unkind to tits and nut sacs.

Tits and nut sacs....is your real name Bill Oddie by any chance?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

God is fading on 22:58 - May 29 with 3607 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 22:50 - May 29 by Boston

Tits and nut sacs....is your real name Bill Oddie by any chance?

Wurwal wetweets...
Where wobin wedbwest goes tweet tweet.

God is fading on 09:39 - May 30 with 3531 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 20:21 - May 29 by PunteR

Wow. You really laid your thoughts out there.

I am certainly no expert - I have an aging degree in Biology from a Poly and a New Scientist subscription - so I can only answer any of them with my own understandings and interpretations, and not even all of them, in one go.

I think that metabolism in this sense simply means a provision of energy, rather than intelligence as maybe you have understood it. So that's done.

Where did you get the notion that fish have stopped evolving? Chuck that notion out.

There is no single gene for male or female, but, in most species, sets of genes on the X and Y chromosomes that give rise to a male or female phenotype. And indeed there are some fish that are a male and female at the same time (e.g. sea bass, apparently).

Why does food taste so good? Because it's a really good idea to eat it. Most species struggle so very hard to find food. So that when they find some good stuff, the individuals that have evolved to enjoy it will eat it and go on to breed and pass on that enjoyment of life fueling food. Those that are less bothered might very well die - through lack of food - before they pass on their indifference.

You'll find reams of stuff about the genetic and evolutionary basis of conscience. I know next to zip (oops! an Americanism! Sorry Clive Anderson...) about it, so won't comment.

"still think theres a designer behind it all"
As I've alluded to before in this thread this is a self-defeating argument. If all this wondrous beauty around us cannot exist without an intelligence brilliant enough to design it, then, by the same logic, that intelligence cannot exist without an even more brilliant intelligence to have designed it! And so on, ad infinitum.

Now, a cosmic accident that lead to one molecule that was able to replicate and draw other components over an immense time scale - and remember there have been 4.5 billion years on earth for that event to occur and pan out as evolutionists consider it may have seems, to me, far more feasible than the ultimate 747.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Boeing_747_gambit

I don't expect to convince you PunteR. But I hope I've given you some things to consider.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 9:41]
God is fading on 10:30 - May 30 with 3476 viewshopphoops

1. It sounds complex creating life from dust, but it isn't really:
http://www.wired.com/2009/05/ribonucleotides/

2. Nothing has purpose. You exist because of a range of preceding circumstances. Food doesn't taste good for a reason, but you're around because your species developed a mechanism to stimulate eating. Others didn't, failed.

3. The universe is teeming with life. Humans aren't that different from the rest of it, they just happen to be at the top of their local food chain.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

God is fading on 10:45 - May 30 with 3456 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

For my tuppance worth, The British Humanists pretty much sum up my feelings on god and all that.

https://humanism.org.uk/thatshumanism/
God is fading on 11:39 - May 30 with 3423 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 10:30 - May 30 by hopphoops

1. It sounds complex creating life from dust, but it isn't really:
http://www.wired.com/2009/05/ribonucleotides/

2. Nothing has purpose. You exist because of a range of preceding circumstances. Food doesn't taste good for a reason, but you're around because your species developed a mechanism to stimulate eating. Others didn't, failed.

3. The universe is teeming with life. Humans aren't that different from the rest of it, they just happen to be at the top of their local food chain.

The nuts and bolts stuff is fine,you can dissect all you like but no one has explained away where the energy that pertains to the life force originates.Especially since latest findings indicate "intelligence" may not sit within the brain.
As for life forms like us inhabiting the universe,not sure it's all Star Wars/Star Trek versions of humans with bad skin conditions indicating they are extra terrestrial.And of course there are the silicon based variations that may or may not resemble Sue Perkins.

God is fading on 11:46 - May 30 with 3417 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 09:39 - May 30 by izlingtonhoop

Wow. You really laid your thoughts out there.

I am certainly no expert - I have an aging degree in Biology from a Poly and a New Scientist subscription - so I can only answer any of them with my own understandings and interpretations, and not even all of them, in one go.

I think that metabolism in this sense simply means a provision of energy, rather than intelligence as maybe you have understood it. So that's done.

Where did you get the notion that fish have stopped evolving? Chuck that notion out.

There is no single gene for male or female, but, in most species, sets of genes on the X and Y chromosomes that give rise to a male or female phenotype. And indeed there are some fish that are a male and female at the same time (e.g. sea bass, apparently).

Why does food taste so good? Because it's a really good idea to eat it. Most species struggle so very hard to find food. So that when they find some good stuff, the individuals that have evolved to enjoy it will eat it and go on to breed and pass on that enjoyment of life fueling food. Those that are less bothered might very well die - through lack of food - before they pass on their indifference.

You'll find reams of stuff about the genetic and evolutionary basis of conscience. I know next to zip (oops! an Americanism! Sorry Clive Anderson...) about it, so won't comment.

"still think theres a designer behind it all"
As I've alluded to before in this thread this is a self-defeating argument. If all this wondrous beauty around us cannot exist without an intelligence brilliant enough to design it, then, by the same logic, that intelligence cannot exist without an even more brilliant intelligence to have designed it! And so on, ad infinitum.

Now, a cosmic accident that lead to one molecule that was able to replicate and draw other components over an immense time scale - and remember there have been 4.5 billion years on earth for that event to occur and pan out as evolutionists consider it may have seems, to me, far more feasible than the ultimate 747.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Boeing_747_gambit

I don't expect to convince you PunteR. But I hope I've given you some things to consider.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 9:41]

Ha, i laid it on thick didn't I.. Just putting my thoughts out there. I've got plenty more where that came from. :)
Thanks mate for taking the time to try and answer them. I don't have any degree's in anything ,just a couple of GCSE's (not in science) but I have studied the bible.(updated new world translation version, not king James version)
I've analysed and questioned religion and come to the conclusion that most religions have damaged peoples faith in a god because of the hypocrisy, lies, and corruption. Any religion that takes sides in a war, holy or not, is not the right religion Imo. And most of them do.
To use a football analogy. I see the church like FIFA. FIFA was set up because football needed organising around the world, it needed to set out rules and regulations for the game to be carried out fairly across the board. But it got powerful and greedy and in the end corrupt.(I think the same applies to governments).
In the end people get fed up with it.
Football though is still the beautiful game regardless of the corruption surrounding it. Its the same with a belief in god or being spiritual. Its the people running the show that have ruined it.
Science has made some remarkable genuine discovery's and I'm relying on them to fix my son who has MEN2B. (multiple Endocrine Neoplasia). But theres is still much more for science to discover wether its about the human body or about the meaning of life. I'm always open to suggestions.:)

I'm rambling on again,sorry.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 22:26]

God is fading on 21:52 - May 30 with 3289 viewsIngham

Great discussion. Point to kensalriser, among others, I thought.

I'm not sure that nature does 'work', to refer back to an earlier post. The distinction requires us to know what it would be for nature not to work. If the purpose of a watch is to tell the time and it doesn't do so, it isn't working. We decide what it's purpose is, so we decide whether it works or not.

But what is the purpose of nature? If there is no evidence that it has a purpose, how do we know whether it is working or not?

And how does the Scientific Model of the Universe - which does both from time to time - purport to explain the real Universe by MEANS of the Science that makes up the Scientific Model, when the real Universe never does either?
God is fading on 23:15 - May 30 with 3238 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 21:52 - May 30 by Ingham

Great discussion. Point to kensalriser, among others, I thought.

I'm not sure that nature does 'work', to refer back to an earlier post. The distinction requires us to know what it would be for nature not to work. If the purpose of a watch is to tell the time and it doesn't do so, it isn't working. We decide what it's purpose is, so we decide whether it works or not.

But what is the purpose of nature? If there is no evidence that it has a purpose, how do we know whether it is working or not?

And how does the Scientific Model of the Universe - which does both from time to time - purport to explain the real Universe by MEANS of the Science that makes up the Scientific Model, when the real Universe never does either?

The maker of the watch decides what its purpose is. We decide if we want it or not.
Who sets the time is a big question.
The earth rotates around the sun, the moon rotates around earth. We have 4 seasons,night and day ,it all works .
A couple of feet towards the sun we fry ,a couple away we freeze. Science.
I mentioned the "laws" of physics in a earlier post, the law of gravity FDC dismissed but how about the laws of time? who sets those?
The earth rotating around the sun anti clockwise seems a strange concept.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 23:36]

God is fading on 08:56 - May 31 with 3162 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 23:15 - May 30 by PunteR

The maker of the watch decides what its purpose is. We decide if we want it or not.
The earth rotates around the sun, the moon rotates around earth. We have 4 seasons,night and day ,it all works .
I mentioned the "laws" of physics in a earlier post, the law of gravity FDC dismissed but how about the laws of time? who sets those?

The Earth rotating anti clockwise?It all depends which way up you are.
A different theory of relativity.

God is fading on 09:44 - May 31 with 3138 viewsFDC

God is fading on 23:15 - May 30 by PunteR

the law of gravity FDC dismissed

I'm not sure I can take credit for that -- that was Einstein.
God is fading on 11:17 - May 31 with 3099 viewsTacticalR

Gravity is an impingement on our personal freedom and is keeping us down.

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 13:03 - May 31 with 3058 viewsTheBlob

Time is that which prevents everything happening all at once.

God is fading on 13:21 - May 31 with 3032 viewsMetallica_Hoop

On the comments section "If you voted thumbs down for this song, you suck f**k your saviour's dick."

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

God is fading on 13:34 - May 31 with 3010 viewsTheBlob

"For what purpose little man?What do you know about purpose?...
....go to the end of Fantock Boulevard,to the House With No Windows and ask the robot for a pair of India rubber spectacles....
....they will give you logical dreams"

God is fading on 14:03 - May 31 with 2980 viewsLythamR

nature and the whole universe is not some sort of intricate solution or mechanism it is fundamentally chaotic. what we see on earth and from the earth only makes any sort of sense because of our own terms of reference and experience of time
God is fading on 15:14 - May 31 with 2947 viewskensalriser

God is fading on 11:17 - May 31 by TacticalR

Gravity is an impingement on our personal freedom and is keeping us down.

Without gravity we would all be floating around aimlessly with no purpose or direction...a bit like Leroy Fer.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

God is fading on 16:20 - May 31 with 2912 viewsBoston

God is fading on 15:14 - May 31 by kensalriser

Without gravity we would all be floating around aimlessly with no purpose or direction...a bit like Leroy Fer.

To inferiority and beyond.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024