Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God is fading 11:40 - May 24 with 33925 viewsizlingtonhoop

Slowly, rationalism and reason pushes superstition aside.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-en

I for one find this encouraging.

I'm sure there are one or two who will shout 'the Muslims are gonna take over.'

They're not.
God is fading on 11:28 - May 25 with 3450 viewsMetallica_Hoop

God is fading on 11:22 - May 25 by Juzzie

Something that doesn't exist cannot fade.

That would make a great song title on my concept album. (if I had one)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

God is fading on 11:31 - May 25 with 3444 viewsTheBlob

Like Fulham's away support?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

God is fading on 13:05 - May 25 with 3398 viewsTacticalR

God is fading on 23:19 - May 24 by essextaxiboy

What are you on about ?

Ouija boards are to do with spirits , not religion .

OK, but they do share the same idea - that there can be some kind of consciousness (mind/soul/spirit) without a body.

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 13:12 - May 25 with 3388 viewsaston_hoop

I know its perhaps a bit bigoted and not maybe quite right but I always find it odd when someone like David Cameron or just about any American president claims to be a Christian (or whatever religion they fancy). Its like they can rule a country, no problem but can't quite work out that this isn't all a work of magic and there aren't creatures living in the sky ruling us. Or maybe they just say it to win votes. But not mine. Anyway, I digress. Believe what you like, just don't ask me to get involved.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

God is fading on 13:25 - May 25 with 3367 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

God is fading on 13:12 - May 25 by aston_hoop

I know its perhaps a bit bigoted and not maybe quite right but I always find it odd when someone like David Cameron or just about any American president claims to be a Christian (or whatever religion they fancy). Its like they can rule a country, no problem but can't quite work out that this isn't all a work of magic and there aren't creatures living in the sky ruling us. Or maybe they just say it to win votes. But not mine. Anyway, I digress. Believe what you like, just don't ask me to get involved.

It's almost as if they are saying things they don't really believe.
God is fading on 13:45 - May 25 with 3357 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 13:25 - May 25 by BazzaInTheLoft

It's almost as if they are saying things they don't really believe.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.

Joseph Goebbels.

God is fading on 14:15 - May 25 with 3323 viewsCliff

God is fading on 07:30 - May 25 by QPRDave

I'm on about evil, if you have evil surely you have good.
Have you heard of excorcisms?...Carried out by?

As a lot have said it all depends on your definition of good and evil. One thing however is that even if you accept there are evil in the world doesn't mean that it has to have some form of physical embodiment, and neither does good.

I have heard of excorcisms and the only ones I believe in have been carried out by film directors...
God is fading on 14:36 - May 25 with 3297 viewsizlingtonhoop

Figuratively; or symbolically it can.
[Post edited 25 May 2016 16:06]
Login to get fewer ads

God is fading on 15:40 - May 25 with 3259 viewsQPRDave

God is fading on 14:15 - May 25 by Cliff

As a lot have said it all depends on your definition of good and evil. One thing however is that even if you accept there are evil in the world doesn't mean that it has to have some form of physical embodiment, and neither does good.

I have heard of excorcisms and the only ones I believe in have been carried out by film directors...

I know of two people who have had their houses excorcised, and it did the trick
I'm only posing the question if there is evil then doesn't it follow there must be good?
Does it really matter if some people want to believe in god?...If they find comfort in it then all well and good.
God is fading on 15:44 - May 25 with 3254 viewsDeepcutHoop

God is fading on 15:40 - May 25 by QPRDave

I'm only posing the question if there is evil then doesn't it follow there must be good?
Does it really matter if some people want to believe in god?...If they find comfort in it then all well and good.

I'm absolutely sure you're right, and there were no ghosts in the houses after the exorcism.....

Individual faith and the comfort it brings would be of no bother to anyone, but while religion has so much power and influence on the decisions that affect the lives of others, especially those who don't hold the same faith, it can be extremely harmful.
God is fading on 15:49 - May 25 with 3240 viewsQPRDave

God is fading on 15:44 - May 25 by DeepcutHoop

I'm absolutely sure you're right, and there were no ghosts in the houses after the exorcism.....

Individual faith and the comfort it brings would be of no bother to anyone, but while religion has so much power and influence on the decisions that affect the lives of others, especially those who don't hold the same faith, it can be extremely harmful.

Agree 100% deepcut..
God is fading on 16:13 - May 25 with 3217 viewsCliff

God is fading on 15:40 - May 25 by QPRDave

Just because it did the trick doesn't mean it had any effect on the house, or that there are spirits involved. Just that you know some gullible people !
God is fading on 16:50 - May 25 with 3187 viewsTheBlob

I don't rule out the paranormal in its entirety,there's the imutable law of physics that says energy can't be destroyed.I can't believe in an anthropomorphic deity or whatnot but am pretty sure there's some weird sheeit going on.

(thanks for that Plato,Ed.)

God is fading on 17:25 - May 25 with 3166 viewshopphoops

I've been exorcised loads of times and it didn't do bollox, I stink of garlic now though

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

God is fading on 17:30 - May 25 with 3155 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

If LFW has taught me one thing, it's that there are definitely entities not of this world.
[Post edited 25 May 2016 17:30]
God is fading on 18:32 - May 25 with 3124 viewsQPRDave

God is fading on 16:13 - May 25 by Cliff

Just because it did the trick doesn't mean it had any effect on the house, or that there are spirits involved. Just that you know some gullible people !

"Just because it did the trick doesn't mean it had any effect on the house, or that there are spirits involved."
And it doesn't mean there wasn't....

"Just that you know some gullible people !"
In your uninformed opinion of course!
God is fading on 19:00 - May 25 with 3087 viewsSimonJames

God is fading on 00:57 - May 25 by Boston

Actually, you are wrong, wrong to the point of nonsense. Take a look at (military) history, demographics and economics, only those with an agenda would ever repeat such poppycock.

...not forgetting the estimated 40-60M that died during Chairman Mao's reign.

But you're right, I can't substantiate that claim with any reliable numbers; since nobody has been keeping score of deaths in wars and religious sacrifices during the last 5000+ years. Suffice to say, I suspect that most soldiers have been sent into battle with the reassurance that they are doing it for some combination of God, King and country.

I should've just said that because of the millions who have died in the name of their religious beliefs, religion has no credibility as a cornerstone of moral behaviour.
Good social behaviour should be as a result of respecting other people's human rights, rather than because that's what they think is expected of them by the deity they worship.

And NO, I don't have an agenda. I'm an atheist; but as far as I'm concerned people can believe in what they want to, just as long as they don't foist their beliefs on other people - and that includes their kids, who should be free to make their own choice.

100% of people who drink water will die.

God is fading on 20:10 - May 25 with 3045 viewsDorse

God is fading on 19:00 - May 25 by SimonJames

...not forgetting the estimated 40-60M that died during Chairman Mao's reign.

But you're right, I can't substantiate that claim with any reliable numbers; since nobody has been keeping score of deaths in wars and religious sacrifices during the last 5000+ years. Suffice to say, I suspect that most soldiers have been sent into battle with the reassurance that they are doing it for some combination of God, King and country.

I should've just said that because of the millions who have died in the name of their religious beliefs, religion has no credibility as a cornerstone of moral behaviour.
Good social behaviour should be as a result of respecting other people's human rights, rather than because that's what they think is expected of them by the deity they worship.

And NO, I don't have an agenda. I'm an atheist; but as far as I'm concerned people can believe in what they want to, just as long as they don't foist their beliefs on other people - and that includes their kids, who should be free to make their own choice.

Respect for someone's Human Rights is an interesting discussion seeing as they were only codified in 1947. The cornerstone of all ethical behaviour is the principle of reciprocity, effectively given its most recognisable expression in 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you'.

Jesus was not alone in using this principle (which became known as the Golden Rule as it appears in every form of religious ethics), however, it bears closer examination: does it, in fact, invoke a God at all? Go figure.

My favourite example comes from Rabbi Hillel who was approached by one of his students, who bet him that he couldn't explain the whole of the Torah whilst stood on one leg. The Rabbi took the bet, stood on one leg and said:

'What is hateful to you, do not to your brother. The rest is commentary. Now go and study'.

I tend to live by that rule.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

God is fading on 20:41 - May 25 with 3025 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

God is fading on 20:45 - May 25 with 3012 viewsPommyhoop

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

God is fading on 20:53 - May 25 with 3000 viewsQPRDave

God is fading on 20:41 - May 25 by HAYESBOY

So he's through to the next round then, gotta play Ganesha next I hear.!!
God is fading on 12:59 - May 26 with 2887 viewsCliff

God is fading on 18:32 - May 25 by QPRDave

"Just because it did the trick doesn't mean it had any effect on the house, or that there are spirits involved."
And it doesn't mean there wasn't....

"Just that you know some gullible people !"
In your uninformed opinion of course!

I agree it doesn't mean there wasn't but a fundamental part of scientific method is the use of Occam's razor, which is basically :

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected"

The gullible bit was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a well known principle called the Placebo effect, which is what I think is at play here.
God is fading on 13:07 - May 26 with 2882 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 12:59 - May 26 by Cliff

I agree it doesn't mean there wasn't but a fundamental part of scientific method is the use of Occam's razor, which is basically :

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected"

The gullible bit was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a well known principle called the Placebo effect, which is what I think is at play here.

Science cant prove there isnt a god or a spirit world can it? Scientist's just make assumptions.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

God is fading on 13:21 - May 26 with 2863 viewsCliff

God is fading on 13:07 - May 26 by PunteR

Science cant prove there isnt a god or a spirit world can it? Scientist's just make assumptions.

You're so wrong there, science doesn't just make assumptions, as mentioned earlier on of the principle used is to minimise the assumptions. A scientific theory is only accepted f it can justify its assumptions, can explain observed experimental behaviour, AND make predictions of future observation so that it can be verified by new experiments.

As for trying to proving the non-existence of something, you are obviously on a hiding to nothing. It is more telling, that those who do believe have never been able to produce any verifiable evidence
God is fading on 13:28 - May 26 with 2855 viewsAndyB

God is fading on 13:07 - May 26 by PunteR

Cant prove that I didnt see a unicorn at the bottom of my garden last night - but why would it?
Onus is on me to prove such a claim.
Hypothesis - there is a unicorn, i saw it
Obtain evidence - set up cameras
Detail evidence - show why its not a horse with a hirn strapped to its head
Postualte theory regarding reasons behind facts - the unicorn is now fact, how did it come to be there
Gather further evidence to back-up theory
This is how science works. And if any evidence gathering contradicts' theory, the theory is re-thought.
So no, not just assumptions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024