Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God is fading 11:40 - May 24 with 33480 viewsizlingtonhoop

Slowly, rationalism and reason pushes superstition aside.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-en

I for one find this encouraging.

I'm sure there are one or two who will shout 'the Muslims are gonna take over.'

They're not.
God is fading (n/t) on 13:57 - May 26 with 3288 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

God is fading on 13:28 - May 26 by AndyB

Cant prove that I didnt see a unicorn at the bottom of my garden last night - but why would it?
Onus is on me to prove such a claim.
Hypothesis - there is a unicorn, i saw it
Obtain evidence - set up cameras
Detail evidence - show why its not a horse with a hirn strapped to its head
Postualte theory regarding reasons behind facts - the unicorn is now fact, how did it come to be there
Gather further evidence to back-up theory
This is how science works. And if any evidence gathering contradicts' theory, the theory is re-thought.
So no, not just assumptions.

[Post edited 26 May 2016 14:16]
God is fading on 14:03 - May 26 with 3273 viewsTheBlob

God is fading on 13:28 - May 26 by AndyB

Cant prove that I didnt see a unicorn at the bottom of my garden last night - but why would it?
Onus is on me to prove such a claim.
Hypothesis - there is a unicorn, i saw it
Obtain evidence - set up cameras
Detail evidence - show why its not a horse with a hirn strapped to its head
Postualte theory regarding reasons behind facts - the unicorn is now fact, how did it come to be there
Gather further evidence to back-up theory
This is how science works. And if any evidence gathering contradicts' theory, the theory is re-thought.
So no, not just assumptions.

A scientific approach.... came across Konstantin Raudive after a a brief meeting with publisher Colin Smythe.Open mike theory,random voices picked up on tape.Inconsequentialites like"it is difficult to dance in a train mama"
Some say Raudive is now communicating from "the other side".

http://skepdic.com/raudive.html

Poll: So how was the season for you?

God is fading on 14:23 - May 26 with 3249 viewsQPRDave

God is fading on 12:59 - May 26 by Cliff

I agree it doesn't mean there wasn't but a fundamental part of scientific method is the use of Occam's razor, which is basically :

"Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected"

The gullible bit was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a well known principle called the Placebo effect, which is what I think is at play here.

"The gullible bit was meant to be a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a well known principle called the Placebo effect, which is what I think is at play here"

Fair point Cliff, can't be ruled out I agree
God is fading on 15:13 - May 26 with 3196 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 13:21 - May 26 by Cliff

You're so wrong there, science doesn't just make assumptions, as mentioned earlier on of the principle used is to minimise the assumptions. A scientific theory is only accepted f it can justify its assumptions, can explain observed experimental behaviour, AND make predictions of future observation so that it can be verified by new experiments.

As for trying to proving the non-existence of something, you are obviously on a hiding to nothing. It is more telling, that those who do believe have never been able to produce any verifiable evidence

I'm not that far wrong cliff.
Ask any scientists the most basic question, how did we get here? And why?
Science has only just discovered DNA. Why would I put my faith in science.?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

God is fading on 15:24 - May 26 with 3184 viewshopphoops

God is fading on 15:13 - May 26 by PunteR

I'm not that far wrong cliff.
Ask any scientists the most basic question, how did we get here? And why?
Science has only just discovered DNA. Why would I put my faith in science.?

Because it doesn't claim to have most of the answers. Why would you put your faith in anything which does?

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

God is fading on 15:53 - May 26 with 3239 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 15:24 - May 26 by hopphoops

Because it doesn't claim to have most of the answers. Why would you put your faith in anything which does?

Because I want to know the answers. Science does claim to know how we got here.
Evolution is taught as fact in schools and David Attenborough programs but it cant be proved. I'm not saying the big bang theory is wrong I'm just saying you need just as much faith in that than believing god exists.

God is fading on 16:27 - May 26 with 3205 viewshopphoops

God is fading on 15:53 - May 26 by PunteR

Evolution is taught as fact in schools and David Attenborough programs but it cant be proved. I'm not saying the big bang theory is wrong I'm just saying you need just as much faith in that than believing god exists.

Science presents the best and fullest answer available at any time from the evidence. These answers are empirical, not absolute, i.e. they stand up to what scrutiny we can apply and don't contradict other scientific findings.If they don't they are discarded or superseded.

So you can go for a partial, not absoutely proven, but evidence-based and road-tested answer, or not.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

God is fading on 16:42 - May 26 with 3191 viewsJeff

"Science adjusts it's beliefs based on what's observed
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved"

Can we not knock it?

Login to get fewer ads

God is fading on 16:46 - May 26 with 3185 viewsTacticalR

I believe that is known as the 'God of the gaps' argument (some Christians were against this argument)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_the_gaps

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 16:46 - May 26 with 3180 viewsTheBlob

Science doesn't really know either,it's good up to a point and then a complete blank.A new set of hypotheses with multiple universes and continua theories - I'm having difficulty coping with just the one.
At the end ot the day(sic) you come from somewhere and you go somewhere.To be quite honest I'm not in any great hurry.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

God is fading on 17:17 - May 26 with 3149 viewsFDC

God is fading on 13:07 - May 26 by PunteR

Science cant prove there isnt a god or a spirit world can it? Scientist's just make assumptions.

Your assumption that scientists just make assumptions isn't supported by the evidence. My PhD would have been a much less stressful affair were that the case.
God is fading on 17:25 - May 26 with 3144 viewsFDC

Science really doesn't deal in facts. There might be theoretical frameworks and methodological paradigms based on the best evidence available, but nothing's enshrined as absolute fact. On the contrary in fact. It's supposed to be an iterative process of constantly developing understanding.
God is fading on 17:26 - May 26 with 3142 viewsFDC

Oh but, yeah God and ghosts don't exist. That is a fact.
God is fading on 17:44 - May 26 with 3114 viewsDiscodroids

I gave up believing in god when i watch kids every week with their lungs clogged gasping for breath.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

God is fading on 17:50 - May 26 with 3109 viewsTacticalR

I don't know if anyone has read Russell Brand's book 'Revolution' that came out a couple of years ago, but one thing that becomes apparent (which I don't think is widely known) is that he is very into religion, especially religions with good gear...

Air hostess clique

God is fading on 20:40 - May 26 with 3035 viewsizlingtonhoop

No no no

The theory of evolution is taught as a, er... yep, theory, in any institution worth its bona fides.

And by David Attenborough.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hd5mf
note that: "why do we 'think' he was right?"

A theory with an enormous weight of scientific evidence to support it, but a theory it remains.
God is fading on 20:46 - May 26 with 3027 viewseastside_r

God is fading on 17:50 - May 26 by TacticalR

I don't know if anyone has read Russell Brand's book 'Revolution' that came out a couple of years ago, but one thing that becomes apparent (which I don't think is widely known) is that he is very into religion, especially religions with good gear...

Not really a surprise, he is a known 12 stepper.
God is fading on 21:24 - May 26 with 2996 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 20:40 - May 26 by izlingtonhoop

No no no

The theory of evolution is taught as a, er... yep, theory, in any institution worth its bona fides.

And by David Attenborough.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hd5mf
note that: "why do we 'think' he was right?"

A theory with an enormous weight of scientific evidence to support it, but a theory it remains.

That's my point its just a theory,and a relatively new one. With all the scientific breakthrough's we're none the wiser to how we got here.
I'm not trying to bash science or scientists,far from it, I was reacting more to Cliffs tongue in cheek post about gullible people believing in things that science cant explain . I think science and a belief in god are compatible. Even Darwin believed there's a god.
[Post edited 26 May 2016 21:46]

God is fading on 21:32 - May 26 with 2991 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Mystery Over

God is fading on 21:58 - May 26 with 2964 viewsAndyB

God is fading on 21:24 - May 26 by PunteR

That's my point its just a theory,and a relatively new one. With all the scientific breakthrough's we're none the wiser to how we got here.
I'm not trying to bash science or scientists,far from it, I was reacting more to Cliffs tongue in cheek post about gullible people believing in things that science cant explain . I think science and a belief in god are compatible. Even Darwin believed there's a god.

Darwin was agnostic at best.
God is fading on 22:12 - May 26 with 2944 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 21:58 - May 26 by AndyB

Darwin was agnostic at best.

The evidence suggests that Darwin's faith was practically destroyed by his scientific work. A source of great consternation to him, as his beloved wife remained devout.
God is fading on 22:13 - May 26 with 2942 viewsjohncharles

There is only one true God and he lives in Wales. That's why it's called god's country.
His son on earth is known as Stanley Bowles.

Strong and stable my arse.

God is fading on 22:15 - May 26 with 2938 viewseasthertsr

This is not difficult people, science deals in proven facts , belief deals in opinions, I think science wins hand down!
God is fading on 22:17 - May 26 with 2926 viewsCiderwithRsie

God is fading on 22:13 - May 26 by johncharles

There is only one true God and he lives in Wales. That's why it's called god's country.
His son on earth is known as Stanley Bowles.

Stan is Welsh??

Heretic!
God is fading on 22:24 - May 26 with 2918 viewsizlingtonhoop

God is fading on 21:24 - May 26 by PunteR

"With all the scientific breakthroughs we're none the wiser to how we got here."

We really, really are.

And a little wiser each time a new fossil is found, a new piece of DNA sequenced etc, etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024