Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
God is fading 11:40 - May 24 with 34151 viewsizlingtonhoop

Slowly, rationalism and reason pushes superstition aside.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/23/no-religion-outnumber-christians-en

I for one find this encouraging.

I'm sure there are one or two who will shout 'the Muslims are gonna take over.'

They're not.
God is fading on 22:06 - Jun 23 with 2191 viewsizlingtonhoop

This is interesting:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2088006-building-blocks-of-lifes-first-self

Hope it helps, PunteR
God is fading on 20:58 - Jun 24 with 2086 viewsDylanP

God is fading on 18:40 - May 24 by Monkey_Roots

I think there probably has been a decline in social behaviour over the past 100 years. I'm not saying its completely down to lack of faith, but a certain amount could be — again just putting it out there as a thought.

Hahahaha. That is such a fallacy. Exactly what decline in social behavior are you thinking of?

Are you talking about 100 years ago when racism, sexism, domestic violence, and homophobia were all considered socially accepted?

Are you talking about 100 years ago when the aristocracy still considered themselves superior to the common plebs?

Are you talking 100 years ago when war was waged for empire and colonial empires reeked havoc across the world, stealing resources and enslaving whole populations for the benefit of the royal patron?

Are you talking 100 years ago when toffee-nosed brainless generals led working class privates into the breach to be slaughtered in their thousands on French battlefields?

Are you talking 100 years ago when a cube of sugar was considered a huge treat and Cadburys Cream Eggs hadn't been invented yet?

Yeah, those were better times, weren't they?

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

God is fading on 14:08 - Jun 25 with 2022 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 20:58 - Jun 24 by DylanP

Hahahaha. That is such a fallacy. Exactly what decline in social behavior are you thinking of?

Are you talking about 100 years ago when racism, sexism, domestic violence, and homophobia were all considered socially accepted?

Are you talking about 100 years ago when the aristocracy still considered themselves superior to the common plebs?

Are you talking 100 years ago when war was waged for empire and colonial empires reeked havoc across the world, stealing resources and enslaving whole populations for the benefit of the royal patron?

Are you talking 100 years ago when toffee-nosed brainless generals led working class privates into the breach to be slaughtered in their thousands on French battlefields?

Are you talking 100 years ago when a cube of sugar was considered a huge treat and Cadburys Cream Eggs hadn't been invented yet?

Yeah, those were better times, weren't they?

I think your wrong there Dylan mate.
You honestly believe war and terrorism was worse 100 years ago? I think I'm right in saying that in 2014 only 11 country's around the world wasn't affected by war. Not to mention the 2 world wars in that 100 years. In that 100 years how many nuclear weapons have been built?
Drug abuse, child abuse, gambling addiction, marriage break ups, disease,poverty...etc etc
I'm not saying everything was Rosie hundred years ago but it has got worse imho.
I'm also not saying its because people don't believe in god either.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 14:10]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

God is fading on 14:35 - Jun 25 with 2001 viewsDorse

People will be ar$eholes to one another for any number of reasons. Religion is simply one more to add to the list. I think the biggest issue comes from the hierarchical nature of religion rather than simply faith in a power(s) beyond our normal understanding.

Example:
Person X believes that the sunset is beautiful.
Person Y also believes that the sunset is beautiful but also believes that it is beautiful because it was designed to be beautiful.
No problem. Doesn't change anybody's day. They both enjoy the sunset for different reasons. However, add another variable:

Person Z believes also that the sunset is beautiful because it was designed to be so. However, they believe that this has a moral dimension, ie. it is 'good' that the sunset is beautiful. This final element is the game changer. If the sunset's beauty is good, then the designer exhibits goodness. This can then be applied to other natural phenomena (e.g. the link between sex and pregnancy) and can be used to reason out a series of implied moral imperatives. Because they have already worked out these imperatives, people who haven't will defer to them, simply because, on the face of it, these moral imperatives make sense. This creates a hierarchy and one that can become entrenched and dogmatic, at which point it becomes exploitative.

We can see this as a problem all across the world and not just with faith groups. Pol Pot, for example, murdered 25% of his own population based on an ideological position that had absolutely nothing to do with religious belief but faith in the 'project'.

Faith, in and of itself, is no threat to anyone. Exploitation of faith (whether in a religious or non-religious context) is extremely dangerous.

Sorry. Thinking out loud. I'll go back to nob gags immediately.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 14:46]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

God is fading on 17:53 - Jun 25 with 1969 viewsDeepcutHoop

God is fading on 14:08 - Jun 25 by PunteR

I think your wrong there Dylan mate.
You honestly believe war and terrorism was worse 100 years ago? I think I'm right in saying that in 2014 only 11 country's around the world wasn't affected by war. Not to mention the 2 world wars in that 100 years. In that 100 years how many nuclear weapons have been built?
Drug abuse, child abuse, gambling addiction, marriage break ups, disease,poverty...etc etc
I'm not saying everything was Rosie hundred years ago but it has got worse imho.
I'm also not saying its because people don't believe in god either.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2016 14:10]

Safe to say war was worse 100 years ago.
God is fading on 23:39 - Jun 25 with 1921 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 17:53 - Jun 25 by DeepcutHoop

Safe to say war was worse 100 years ago.

Monkey Roots suggested social behavior has been on the decline over the last 100 years.
Dylan's post laughed at that and suggested that things were bad 100 years ago but has got better .
I agree with Roots that things seem worse now around the world.
Not sure you can say war was worse 100 years ago to war today. War is horrific now as it was then.

God is fading on 00:00 - Jun 26 with 1912 viewsPunteR

God is fading on 22:06 - Jun 23 by izlingtonhoop

This is interesting:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2088006-building-blocks-of-lifes-first-self

Hope it helps, PunteR

Impressive if they've done that but they are still a million miles away to creating an actual living thing with a conscience.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024