Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Ready - help required 10:53 - May 25 with 12316 viewskevinyahoo100

Hello there. I'm writing an article about Karl Ready (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any stories/opinions you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at QPR.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website this week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes will be credited to Loft for Words

Cheers!
Kevin
Karl Ready - help required on 08:10 - May 26 with 1810 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Karl Ready - help required on 06:34 - May 26 by danehoop

I would echo what others have said. He had the misfortune to come in straight after a time of immense quality defenders at the club. He also arrived at the point that the club was about to implode after years of comparative success. Not the worst defender that we have had by a long shot (Bob Malcolm, zesh rehman still make shudder) and he never hid. But exceptionally limited and those limitations were cruelly exposed as the whole side was weak and the defence was the weakest part. That he played so much for us, is really an indictment of how bad things were at the time. Don't blame him as he stood least tried, but just can't believe that we couldn't have found anyone better.

That's about the most reasoned view. He as nowhere near as bad as some on here are making out and certainly nowhere near as bad as Bob Malcolm, Gus Ceasar et al. He suffered in comparison to the great centre-backs before him, but then again so has almost every centre-back in the last twenty years.

I do remember a Player of The Year gig, though, where he arrived wearing a white safari suit, white shirt, white tie, shiny brown knee-length riding boots (outside the trousers) the blonde curtains haircut and clutching a white handbag that he had designed himself.

When a few of us got chatting to him, he asked me what I thought of his outfit.

"Maybe when you've played two games without coughing up a goal, Karl"

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Karl Ready - help required on 09:13 - May 26 with 1756 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Karl Ready - help required on 08:10 - May 26 by BrianMcCarthy

That's about the most reasoned view. He as nowhere near as bad as some on here are making out and certainly nowhere near as bad as Bob Malcolm, Gus Ceasar et al. He suffered in comparison to the great centre-backs before him, but then again so has almost every centre-back in the last twenty years.

I do remember a Player of The Year gig, though, where he arrived wearing a white safari suit, white shirt, white tie, shiny brown knee-length riding boots (outside the trousers) the blonde curtains haircut and clutching a white handbag that he had designed himself.

When a few of us got chatting to him, he asked me what I thought of his outfit.

"Maybe when you've played two games without coughing up a goal, Karl"

When he said outfit maybe he meant QPR which was also a disaster at the time : )
Karl Ready - help required on 09:15 - May 26 with 1750 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Karl Ready - help required on 09:13 - May 26 by BazzaInTheLoft

When he said outfit maybe he meant QPR which was also a disaster at the time : )

Hmm, yes.. I see that now...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Karl Ready - help required on 09:22 - May 26 with 1742 viewsCiderwithRsie

I would echo what others have said. He had the misfortune to come in straight after a time of immense quality defenders at the club. He also arrived at the point that the club was about to implode after years of comparative success. Not the worst defender that we have had by a long shot (Bob Malcolm, zesh rehman still make shudder) and he never hid. But exceptionally limited and those limitations were cruelly exposed as the whole side was weak and the defence was the weakest part. That he played so much for us, is really an indictment of how bad things were at the time. Don't blame him as he stood least tried, but just can't believe that we couldn't have found anyone better.

Yes, that's fair. I tell you what,he was preferable to Steve Morrow, who was just as bad and didn't care.
Karl Ready - help required on 09:24 - May 26 with 1738 viewsqprxtc

It’s weird. I probably saw 95% of the games that Ready played for us but I don’t ever remember getting that p1ssed off with him or thinking he was utter t0ss. I just don’t really remember much of what he did. May have something to do with my alcoholic intake during this period.

The way this thread is going though, he seems to be the worst player to have ever played in any football team ever. He wasn’t great but I don’t recall him being absolute crap all the time. If he was ‘Player of the Year’ then surely some people on here would have voted for him?

Now , Ernie Howe……
Karl Ready - help required on 10:12 - May 26 with 1686 viewspaulparker

Karl Ready - help required on 17:18 - May 25 by ted_hendrix

Yea I remember that, late in the game as soon as he passed the ball we all groaned cos you could see what was gonna happen next

Legend

I was at that game as well, Sinclair tore Newcastle a new one that day, one of the best individual displays ive seen down the Rangers
fcukin Criminal the last goal as we should have got a point

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Karl Ready - help required on 12:03 - May 26 with 1632 viewsDWQPR

Karl Ready - help required on 09:24 - May 26 by qprxtc

It’s weird. I probably saw 95% of the games that Ready played for us but I don’t ever remember getting that p1ssed off with him or thinking he was utter t0ss. I just don’t really remember much of what he did. May have something to do with my alcoholic intake during this period.

The way this thread is going though, he seems to be the worst player to have ever played in any football team ever. He wasn’t great but I don’t recall him being absolute crap all the time. If he was ‘Player of the Year’ then surely some people on here would have voted for him?

Now , Ernie Howe……

When we was kids my Mum had printed for us t-shirts that read "ERNIE HOWE IS MAGIC" and 'ERNIE HOWE FOR ENGLAND". Even she knew that he was sh1te. Great read about Ready though, if I was him reading this thread I wouldnt know whether to laugh or hang myself!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Karl Ready - help required on 12:17 - May 26 with 1623 viewsYorkRanger

Karl Ready - help required on 12:03 - May 26 by DWQPR

When we was kids my Mum had printed for us t-shirts that read "ERNIE HOWE IS MAGIC" and 'ERNIE HOWE FOR ENGLAND". Even she knew that he was sh1te. Great read about Ready though, if I was him reading this thread I wouldnt know whether to laugh or hang myself!

Ernie Howe used to get some stick, most of it warranted.

Racking my memory bank though I think he was the first person I remember being used for the popular song "Ernie Howe, Ernie Howe, Ernie Ernie Howe, when he get the ball he does f*ck all, Ernie Ernie Howe"
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Ready - help required on 15:52 - May 26 with 1554 viewsBluce_Ree

Karl Ready was first choice when I got my season ticket. I just remember him literally giving points away constantly. Given that he was next to Danny Maddix who seemed to be getting better with age, you definitely saw the contrast.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Karl Ready - help required on 18:48 - May 26 with 1487 viewsterryb

I know there have been worse than "Karl the Unready" and I don't think anyone can doubt that he cared. The biggest problem was that he did try his best, but it really wasn't enough.

Mind you, any of you that had the privilege to watch Victor Bloody Mobley will regard Karl as an absolute star!
Karl Ready - help required on 22:19 - May 26 with 1418 viewsCiderwithRsie

Karl Ready - help required on 12:17 - May 26 by YorkRanger

Ernie Howe used to get some stick, most of it warranted.

Racking my memory bank though I think he was the first person I remember being used for the popular song "Ernie Howe, Ernie Howe, Ernie Ernie Howe, when he get the ball he does f*ck all, Ernie Ernie Howe"

I remember a mate of mine describing Howe as "a mountain gorilla in a hooped shirt"
Karl Ready - help required on 00:07 - May 27 with 1384 viewsPeterHucker

Danehoop's already said it very well.
Part of Ready's problem was that he came in after we'd had so many truly consistent & reliable centre backs (McDonald, Parker, Maddix, Darren Peacock for 1 season in particular)

Ready is not even in the top 10 worse centre backs we've ever had, but he was miles worse than those guys mentioned above. He was error prone and he had this infuriating habit of backing off, backing off and backing off, then just as the attacker got into the box *that* would be the time he chose to put the tackle in, very often leading to penalty.

He's a bit like an anti-Alan McDonald or an anti-Clint Hill because they both read the game so well and seemed to somehow foresee what the opposition players would do, great footballing brains that more than made up for their relative lack of pace. Karl Ready seemed to have very little awareness or ability to anticipate what might happen next.

More than any other player, Karl Ready was the main person I blamed for our relegation in 1996. It seemed that we let in goals from his mistakes pretty much every week.

Having said all that, and as others have already said, you couldn't fault him for effort and he never hid, even when he was having a stinker, so good on him for that I suppose.
Karl Ready - help required on 10:42 - May 27 with 1302 viewskevinyahoo100

Karl Ready - help required on 00:07 - May 27 by PeterHucker

Danehoop's already said it very well.
Part of Ready's problem was that he came in after we'd had so many truly consistent & reliable centre backs (McDonald, Parker, Maddix, Darren Peacock for 1 season in particular)

Ready is not even in the top 10 worse centre backs we've ever had, but he was miles worse than those guys mentioned above. He was error prone and he had this infuriating habit of backing off, backing off and backing off, then just as the attacker got into the box *that* would be the time he chose to put the tackle in, very often leading to penalty.

He's a bit like an anti-Alan McDonald or an anti-Clint Hill because they both read the game so well and seemed to somehow foresee what the opposition players would do, great footballing brains that more than made up for their relative lack of pace. Karl Ready seemed to have very little awareness or ability to anticipate what might happen next.

More than any other player, Karl Ready was the main person I blamed for our relegation in 1996. It seemed that we let in goals from his mistakes pretty much every week.

Having said all that, and as others have already said, you couldn't fault him for effort and he never hid, even when he was having a stinker, so good on him for that I suppose.

Many thanks for your contributions guys - there is some absolute gold in here!

Am writing the piece now and will post link - does anyone happen to know what years Karl won Player of the Year?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024