Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Ready - help required 10:53 - May 25 with 12145 viewskevinyahoo100

Hello there. I'm writing an article about Karl Ready (it's a kind of Where Are They Now? thing) and I want to get fans' memories about him as a player. Any stories/opinions you have - good or bad - please post them here. Doesn't even have to be a story/memory as such, could just be your general view on his time at QPR.

I'd want to use some of the your quotes for the article, which will appear on the Yahoo Football website this week. So if you don't want your comments to be used then let me know, and they won't be. All quotes will be credited to Loft for Words

Cheers!
Kevin
Karl Ready - help required on 13:50 - May 25 with 3229 viewsDWQPR

I remember him as a cultured centre half who more often than not repelled the best centre forwards in the country in the 90's with ease. Hardly ever saw him beaten to a header, was brave in the tackle and a real leader of the men around him. The type of player that we desperately need now.

Only joking, useless cûnt who looked like he was playing with a rugby ball as opposed to a football.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Karl Ready - help required on 13:53 - May 25 with 3218 viewswombat

Karl Ready - help required on 13:42 - May 25 by DannytheR

What if the OP was actually Karl himself, fishing for compliments and reminders of the good old days?

Him and Steve Morrow must have been the most depressing Rangers centre back pairing I've ever seen, and I've seen Zesh Rehman.

danny think your forgetting the gus ceaser days with robbie herraa justin channing back four

the back four nightmares are made of

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Karl Ready - help required on 13:53 - May 25 with 3218 viewskevinyahoo100

Karl Ready - help required on 13:42 - May 25 by DannytheR

What if the OP was actually Karl himself, fishing for compliments and reminders of the good old days?

Him and Steve Morrow must have been the most depressing Rangers centre back pairing I've ever seen, and I've seen Zesh Rehman.

You've caught me out - it's Karl.

Come on guys, I wasn't that bad was I?
Karl Ready - help required on 13:57 - May 25 with 3205 viewssimmo

Karl Ready - help required on 13:19 - May 25 by hopphoops

In related news, Darren Peacock is fast turning into Neil Young.

Mel?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Karl Ready - help required on 14:07 - May 25 with 3184 viewsPhildo

In fairness he came after a long period of having had good centre halfs - and he was willing but lacking in ability. He was no mercenary and clearly held the club in affection. We were used to Maddix. Parker and many others (especially Macca). A player like that would never be around for 250 games today although they might sit out a contract in the reserves.
Karl Ready - help required on 14:13 - May 25 with 3164 viewspeejaybee

Will the article be headed " A Comedy of Errors"

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Karl Ready - help required on 14:17 - May 25 with 3157 viewsElHoop

For some reason his name always reminds me of this:

http://akutrs.moonfruit.com/ready-rhapsody/4585055972

It made me laugh at the time anyway.
Karl Ready - help required on 14:22 - May 25 with 3136 viewsqpr85

For me what summed Karl Ready up perfectly was when we played Portsmouth away.

For the warm up the defensive coach (can't remember who it was) was throwing and crossing the ball and Karl would leap like a salmon and head every ball.

The whistle blew and for the first Portsmouth goal or 3 the crossed the ball in and rather than leaping like the salmon I saw warming up he ducked it and let them score.

Hated him after that traveled from Peterborough for that the w ank er!!
Login to get fewer ads

Karl Ready - help required on 14:30 - May 25 with 3119 viewskingshill

My abiding memory is of him jockeying a centre forward for about 30 yards until the ball was taken into the area, then launching himself into the centre forward and giving a penalty away.

He had ages to make the tackle but chose to wait until it was most dangerous to do it.

Awful awful player, and to think he got voted player of the year at one unbelievably low point in our history.
Karl Ready - help required on 15:23 - May 25 with 3055 viewsonlyrinmoray

Remember a short back pass to Jurgen Sommer during a Newcastle game at home Keith Gillespie nipped in and tapped it in. Think it was their winner and Sir Les return to QPR if I remember ... Thanks Karl
Karl Ready - help required on 17:18 - May 25 with 2972 viewsted_hendrix

Karl Ready - help required on 15:23 - May 25 by onlyrinmoray

Remember a short back pass to Jurgen Sommer during a Newcastle game at home Keith Gillespie nipped in and tapped it in. Think it was their winner and Sir Les return to QPR if I remember ... Thanks Karl

Yea I remember that, late in the game as soon as he passed the ball we all groaned cos you could see what was gonna happen next

Legend

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Karl Ready - help required on 17:22 - May 25 with 2965 viewsDanVanDyke

Karl Ready - help required on 13:33 - May 25 by PlanetHonneywood

I am sure I would have said 'allegedly'!

Erm...yes, that's right. Allegedly. Definitely.
Karl Ready - help required on 17:49 - May 25 with 2931 viewsBens_dad

When John Hollins was managing the reserves they played at Oxford one evening. (Their old ground). Karl got sent off, stormed down the tunnel and promptly smashed the glass shower door. It made the local rag (Oxford Mail).

I believe Rangers had to pay for the damage.

I always fancied a replica shirt with 5 'un-Ready' on the back!
Karl Ready - help required on 18:20 - May 25 with 2895 viewsBoston

It was Karl Ready that finally convinced me to remain living in the USA. Although some of the best commentary of a players performance I ever heard came from people sitting around me in B Block as they saw the ball heading in his direction!
Three things come to mind about Mr Ready...a/ he possessed a dexterity reminiscent of a cart horse, b/ turning up at the club dance wearing a white jacket, dicky bow tie and black leather trousers and c/ his alleged attempt at seducing a Jamaican taxi driver that led to him getting fisted. When I originally posted that many years ago on the .org, someone objected to my terminology, on reflection and re-education, I discovered that Mr Ready had in fact been double fisted and of course I mean punched twice, what else would I be on about?
[Post edited 25 May 2016 18:22]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Karl Ready - help required on 19:26 - May 25 with 2858 viewsDeano19766

Karl Ready is a football genius. Remember that song back in the day
Karl Ready - help required on 19:57 - May 25 with 2684 viewsPBLOCK

He was pretty bloody awful really. The fact he played as many games as he didnshows what an absolute shower the club became during the Chris Wright era and beyond.

In his defence I would say that in the 10 or so years preceeding him you had Wicks, Macca, Fenwick, Parker, Peacock, Maddix etc all top players and you had Karl. The fact he.made that.many appearances many as Captain was more about the club than.his ability.

I would say though in.comparison to.other players we have had that he never tried to hide and always gave his all and from.time to time put in a decent performance, but as others have said you always knew an absolute calamity was never far off.

He just wasn't very good
Karl Ready - help required on 22:13 - May 25 with 2623 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thanks a bunch. I had just about got over the trauma. I suppose it'll be another 20 years before I can get a good night's sleep without waking up screaming "just head the f***ing thing!!!!"
Karl Ready - help required on 23:28 - May 25 with 2590 viewsjohncharles

I just have to stand up for my fellow Welshman.
The worst defender you've seen ?
How about Fitz Hall, arrogant, extremely overpaid and didn't give a shit about the club.
Not things you can accuse Karl of.

Strong and stable my arse.

Karl Ready - help required on 23:36 - May 25 with 2581 viewstheselector

Might be my memory playing tricks, but didn't he give the ball away to Sir Les, allowing him to race away and score the winner for the Geordies in our first premiership relegation season?
Karl Ready - help required on 23:42 - May 25 with 2565 viewstheselector

Karl Ready - help required on 23:36 - May 25 by theselector

Might be my memory playing tricks, but didn't he give the ball away to Sir Les, allowing him to race away and score the winner for the Geordies in our first premiership relegation season?

It was definitely him. I can still see it, in slow motion. Under no pressure at all he gently passed to Les, seemingly forgetting that he now played for a different team. I held my head in my hands and knew that we were going down.
Karl Ready - help required on 00:01 - May 26 with 2541 viewsCiderwithRsie

Karl Ready - help required on 23:28 - May 25 by johncharles

I just have to stand up for my fellow Welshman.
The worst defender you've seen ?
How about Fitz Hall, arrogant, extremely overpaid and didn't give a shit about the club.
Not things you can accuse Karl of.

Well, you're into "would you rather be kicked in the balls or live in Luton" territory there.

Thing with Fitz Hall, Bob Malcolm etc etc is that they were sh*t players in a team that for years had been Not Very Good.

Whereas Karl Ready not only came after years and years of Parker, McDonald, Maddix, Wicks, Fenwick etc right back to Roeder and Hazell, not to mention some very good full backs, but also played in a defence featuring Roberts, Sommers, Yates, Herrera and God knows who else. The scope for cocking it up was endless and my God didn't he just take the opportunity.

I always vaguely thought that Channing and Yates might have been half way decent if surrounded by better players. But with Ready there could be no doubt about his awfulness because there he was for week after week for bloody ever, much like the potholes in the roads round where I live.

And about as mobile.
Karl Ready - help required on 00:04 - May 26 with 2540 viewsqueensparker

When Peacock got sold and it was clear the club felt Ready was an adequate replacement, QPR went into a 20 year spiral of chaos we've yet to recover from.

It's pretty much all his fault
[Post edited 26 May 2016 0:11]
Karl Ready - help required on 01:24 - May 26 with 2493 viewseastside_r

Lucky that he had his career before the internet age.

The (One & Only) High Point: a left-footed screamer against Arsenal at the Loft, when we beat them 3-1 home and away.

The Low Point: Him filling in for the genius that was David Bardsley at right back away at Oldham mid-nineties. Destroyed by their winger (Holden?) The result 4-0.

A better footballer than me.

F*cking useless.
Karl Ready - help required on 03:38 - May 26 with 2469 viewsSydneyRs

Karl Ready - help required on 11:56 - May 25 by Northernr

One of the worst centre backs I've ever seen but weirdly scored about 19 goals for us and we never lost when he scored, which considering how terrible we were for his time here is quite something. Didn't he have seven kids and move to Mali to be a Christian missionary or something ridiculous?

He was better then Gus Caesar, but then so am I.
Karl Ready - help required on 06:34 - May 26 with 2437 viewsdanehoop

Karl Ready - help required on 03:38 - May 26 by SydneyRs

He was better then Gus Caesar, but then so am I.

I would echo what others have said. He had the misfortune to come in straight after a time of immense quality defenders at the club. He also arrived at the point that the club was about to implode after years of comparative success. Not the worst defender that we have had by a long shot (Bob Malcolm, zesh rehman still make shudder) and he never hid. But exceptionally limited and those limitations were cruelly exposed as the whole side was weak and the defence was the weakest part. That he played so much for us, is really an indictment of how bad things were at the time. Don't blame him as he stood least tried, but just can't believe that we couldn't have found anyone better.

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024