Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An Ego Behind The Wheel 14:22 - May 27 with 5542 viewsToast_R

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36396341

Been following this case recently. Caught up on a road rage incident and no doubt flexing his superiority complex in his expensive flash motor, ends up crashing head on into another vehicle nothing to do with the said incident and paralysing two young girls in the process. Heart breaking. Today he’s been given 4.5 years. Deserved more in my opinion. Would be a travesty if he ever gets back on the road again.

What went wrong in his head though?
Here’s a man who should know better. Everyone minding their own business, gets annoyed with another driver and loses all thought process and risk assessment. He isn't having it and in a moment of cave man madness, f**ks everyone’s lives up. Ridiculous.

What are the chances that if he was driving a run of the mill road car and not towering over the road in a pristine Icy white powerful Land Rover Discovery, he doesn't react like that?
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 14:48 - May 27 with 4807 viewsDeepcutHoop

Terribly sad story.

Angry, impatient, aggressive drivers are the most dangerous drivers on the road, and they are in no way limited to one type of vehicle, and certainly not to a particular brand. Not just 4x4's not just BMW, not just Audi, not just cyclists, not just white van men, not just taxis, not just women drivers etc etc

If everyone treated road journeys as something we're all doing together, rather than a competition and one you're absolutely not willing to lose, the roads would be a lot safer.

If someone does something stupid, I'm happy to keep as far away from them as possible, rather than waste any energy doing something potentially dangerous to make a point, or take my attention away from my own driving
to rant and rage.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 14:52 - May 27 with 4795 viewsPhildo

I did a speed awareness course in March and it was very good (i was caught doing 58 on a 50mph section of the M11).

I have to say i have modified my driving since. A lot of London is 20 MPH zoned now but a lot of drivers get irate if you actually stick to (or close to) the speed limit.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:06 - May 27 with 4766 viewsKonk

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 14:52 - May 27 by Phildo

I did a speed awareness course in March and it was very good (i was caught doing 58 on a 50mph section of the M11).

I have to say i have modified my driving since. A lot of London is 20 MPH zoned now but a lot of drivers get irate if you actually stick to (or close to) the speed limit.

Most of my commute is 20MPH now, and the only small stretch that actually sees people adhering to the limit, is the few hundred metres which are covered by speed cameras. No point having speed limits if they're not enforced - I'd have cameras everywhere as most people seem to speed when there's no chance of a fine/points.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:27 - May 27 with 4708 viewsstevec

I do bristle a bit about these 20mph zones springing up all over London. I am of the opinion that if you can't drive safely at 30mph you shouldn't have a fckin licence in the first place.

I know I'm going to get the 'if it saves one life it will have been worth it' blah blah and I accept around schools it makes some sense. But the truth is it's really all about politicians, councillors, councils telling us who knows best. It is this business of those in charge judging us by the lowest common denominator on just about everything that really fcks me off.

Vote Leave.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:35 - May 27 with 4693 viewsDeepcutHoop

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:27 - May 27 by stevec

I do bristle a bit about these 20mph zones springing up all over London. I am of the opinion that if you can't drive safely at 30mph you shouldn't have a fckin licence in the first place.

I know I'm going to get the 'if it saves one life it will have been worth it' blah blah and I accept around schools it makes some sense. But the truth is it's really all about politicians, councillors, councils telling us who knows best. It is this business of those in charge judging us by the lowest common denominator on just about everything that really fcks me off.

Vote Leave.

Sadly on the roads, the lowest common denominator are the ones that are going to cause serious damage.

Be angry at them if anyone, not the ones trying to do something to make the roads safer tbh.

Same with most laws, they are aimed at the minority who are going to break the law, not the vast majority that wouldn't even contemplate it.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:52 - May 27 with 4655 viewspaulparker

4 and a half Years , what a fcukin joke , the geezer will be out in 2 he didn't even get banned for driving for life
I used to do the A509 when I worked in Kettering and what that bloke tried to do was shocking he would never had made it doing that manoeuvre on that road
I hope there is some way the family sue the feck out of land rover as well
if I was that girls dad I would be waiting every day until that vermin was released if it was me id make sure he never walked again either

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:53 - May 27 with 4655 viewsLoftusR

I think there is a simple statistic that most pedestrians hit by a car at 30 mph die. Most pedestrians hit at 20 mph survive.

I have a 10 mile commute across London each day. No matter what route I take, it takes over an hour. Personally I would love to average 20 mph in town.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:03 - May 27 with 4632 viewsPhildo

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:27 - May 27 by stevec

Vote Leave.

Apparently they expect all urbanised non A roads to be 20 mph in the next few years. I have got in the habit of sticking my cruise control on as it does take a bit of concentration to keep a modern car at that speed. Like a lot of things you get used to it after a bit.

I had a close famly member killed by a speeding driver - not someone setting out to do harm but a bit stressed and in a hurry.

I would rather they invented some tech to speed limit the car though to the given road- that must be possible rather than the whole driverless thing.
Login to get fewer ads

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:24 - May 27 with 4589 viewsTonto

as a traffic engineer for one of the London Boroughs (I wont say which one though as I dont want to be inundated with requests!) I can provide some input to this whole 20mph thing:

In theory all 20 mph zones should be self enforceable, because the police do not have the resources to do it. That could mean traffic calming (which doesn't need to be humps necessarily - pedestrian crossings, parking/loading spaces and other things which require drivers to slow down a bit all count). The trouble with many of these blanket 20 mph zones is that they are little more than a bunch of signs, although some are enfirced with cameras on main roads.

Having said that, the evidence does show that even the non-calmed zones do slow traffic down. As others have said above, the lower the speed the greater the chance of survival for a ped or cyclist in the event of an accident. The road speed 85th percentile (which is what we use for assessing road speeds rather than a straight average) is usually about 32 or 33 mph on 30 limits. On 20 mph zones that usually goes down to 26 or 27 (all this depends on individual roads though).

In other words the 20 mph zones do have an effect - not as great as they should, perhaps, but still an effect.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:24 - May 27 with 4589 viewsSnipper

They showed the dashcam footage from the car the little girls were in on the news earlier. The horrible git should've got 15 years minimum.
Very very sad.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:34 - May 27 with 4574 viewsBoston

And this is why the driverless car is inevitable.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:41 - May 27 with 4559 viewsToast_R

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:34 - May 27 by Boston

And this is why the driverless car is inevitable.

I would say we are still a thousand years away from that being part of every day life.

I mean, my car has a sensor problem every year it seems. Right now there is an annoying light on the dash telling me my screen wash is low despite the poxy thing being topped up to the limit. Could mean an MOT fail apparently. Replace the sensor? That'll be £300 plus VAT and labour....
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 18:24 - May 27 with 4458 viewsNorthernr

The video of that crash is remarkable. He's undertaking a car on a two lane road then whips around in front of it and right across the oncoming traffic. Just wow. I mean WTF?

On the title of the thread - so many people behave in a manner they never normally would just because they're driving a car. Turns people into raving loons. I used to be the same, got rid of it when I moved to London but I used to tear about, shouting and swearing. It's an odd thing.

On the sentence - I've never really understood the logic that if you kill somebody with a knife or a gun you do a stretch. Kill somebody with a car and you get a few months. Surely a petrol powered, high speed, high performance tonne of steel is just as much of a murder or manslaughter weapon as a hammer or a knife - they have a primary purpose, you've used it for something else.

Get drunk in a bar, get into a row in the taxi queue, swing a punch at somebody who falls over and dies - 6 to 10 years. Get drunk in a bar, drive home instead of getting a taxi, run somebody over on the way - 2 to 4 years.

This post has been edited by an administrator
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 18:35 - May 27 with 4447 viewsBoston

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 18:24 - May 27 by Northernr

The video of that crash is remarkable. He's undertaking a car on a two lane road then whips around in front of it and right across the oncoming traffic. Just wow. I mean WTF?

On the title of the thread - so many people behave in a manner they never normally would just because they're driving a car. Turns people into raving loons. I used to be the same, got rid of it when I moved to London but I used to tear about, shouting and swearing. It's an odd thing.

On the sentence - I've never really understood the logic that if you kill somebody with a knife or a gun you do a stretch. Kill somebody with a car and you get a few months. Surely a petrol powered, high speed, high performance tonne of steel is just as much of a murder or manslaughter weapon as a hammer or a knife - they have a primary purpose, you've used it for something else.

Get drunk in a bar, get into a row in the taxi queue, swing a punch at somebody who falls over and dies - 6 to 10 years. Get drunk in a bar, drive home instead of getting a taxi, run somebody over on the way - 2 to 4 years.

Spot on. But unfortunately the piss the beds who are trying to keep you safe are generally car drivers and don't relish the thought of anything being equal when it comes to sentencing if they're involved.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 21:45 - May 27 with 4335 viewsBlackCrowe

Murder vs manslaugher. two very different charges, with very differnt intent, albeit with equally tragic results.

He deserves his custodial sentence for sure and if he has a speck of humanity in him, then it will be a life sentence in reality.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 21:53 - May 27 with 4321 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 16:41 - May 27 by Toast_R

I would say we are still a thousand years away from that being part of every day life.

I mean, my car has a sensor problem every year it seems. Right now there is an annoying light on the dash telling me my screen wash is low despite the poxy thing being topped up to the limit. Could mean an MOT fail apparently. Replace the sensor? That'll be £300 plus VAT and labour....

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 21:55 - May 27 with 4320 viewsBerkoRanger

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 15:06 - May 27 by Konk

Most of my commute is 20MPH now, and the only small stretch that actually sees people adhering to the limit, is the few hundred metres which are covered by speed cameras. No point having speed limits if they're not enforced - I'd have cameras everywhere as most people seem to speed when there's no chance of a fine/points.

If I was an MP I'd propose that every car had to be electronically tagged so owners would be automatically fined if they exceeded the speed limit for 10 seconds or more. Think how much extra revenue the govt would make - they'd be able to reduce taxes!
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 22:14 - May 27 with 4282 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 21:55 - May 27 by BerkoRanger

If I was an MP I'd propose that every car had to be electronically tagged so owners would be automatically fined if they exceeded the speed limit for 10 seconds or more. Think how much extra revenue the govt would make - they'd be able to reduce taxes!

The Big Brother tinfoilers won't like that
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 23:18 - May 27 with 4243 viewsCiderwithRsie

A gazillion years ago when I was studying law (badly) my criminal law tutor taught us that the definition of causing death by driving is exactly the same as manslaughter, except that the former involves a car; yet manslaughter carries a higher sentence. The driving offence was invented solely for the purpose of giving a lower sentence for the same basic offence; reason being, that previously drivers were prosecuted for manslaughter and were always found not guilty, since juries are composed of people like you and me and most of us are motorists.

On the 20 mph thing, I was pretty cynical about this, but after something I read I started sticking to it more religiously and found that, as the article had suggested, it makes virtually no difference to the speed at which you get from A to B. Driving at 30 usually simply brings you up to the junction, pelican crossing, zebra or traffic lights that little bit faster. At 20 mph you often don't stop at all as by the time you reach the traffic lights they've turned green, and if you do have to stop, its right behind the car in front that was going 30. Meanwhile, all along the road you see a gap opening up between you and other cars, in which pedestrians cross the road, people manage to get out of side roads or their drives, and traffic generally actually starts to move.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 23:28 - May 27 with 4227 viewsDeepcutHoop

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 23:18 - May 27 by CiderwithRsie

A gazillion years ago when I was studying law (badly) my criminal law tutor taught us that the definition of causing death by driving is exactly the same as manslaughter, except that the former involves a car; yet manslaughter carries a higher sentence. The driving offence was invented solely for the purpose of giving a lower sentence for the same basic offence; reason being, that previously drivers were prosecuted for manslaughter and were always found not guilty, since juries are composed of people like you and me and most of us are motorists.

On the 20 mph thing, I was pretty cynical about this, but after something I read I started sticking to it more religiously and found that, as the article had suggested, it makes virtually no difference to the speed at which you get from A to B. Driving at 30 usually simply brings you up to the junction, pelican crossing, zebra or traffic lights that little bit faster. At 20 mph you often don't stop at all as by the time you reach the traffic lights they've turned green, and if you do have to stop, its right behind the car in front that was going 30. Meanwhile, all along the road you see a gap opening up between you and other cars, in which pedestrians cross the road, people manage to get out of side roads or their drives, and traffic generally actually starts to move.

Very true. I am always amused following aggressive idiots on roads round my way.

Often travel for a mile of so, behind a driver who is constantly tail-gating the car in front doing the speed-limit.

Brake lights flashing regularly when they get too close, accelerating to get on their tail again, most likely seething the whole way.

Meanwhile I've not touched my brakes once and got there in the same time, without intimidating some other poor bugger, and I'm not utterly frustrated either. I don't understand what the point is, it must be exhausting.
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 23:33 - May 27 with 4217 viewsTGRRRSSS

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 21:55 - May 27 by BerkoRanger

The whole country would also be bankrupt inside 6 months, we'd be off to beg from Zimbabwe!
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 23:35 - May 27 with 4215 viewsactonman

Like most street roads where we all live , the speed limit is 30 mph.

Drive down a normal residential road at 30 where kids are playing / cars parked obstructing vision etc and its fking frightening that the limit is only 30 mph !

As for that cnt in the land rover, I'm sure he didn't mean what he did, but as breaking his fking spine is probably against some sort of human rights law, the least he should get after getting out of prison is a life ban from driving !!
[Post edited 27 May 2016 23:39]
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 01:42 - May 28 with 4172 viewsDeepcutHoop

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 23:33 - May 27 by TGRRRSSS

The whole country would also be bankrupt inside 6 months, we'd be off to beg from Zimbabwe!

Or people would start driving at the limit rather than deciding that that road rule doesn't have to apply to them?
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 08:57 - May 28 with 4108 viewsTGRRRSSS

I can't really see that happening...

Often hard on speedometers to actually be totally sure your not a mile or so over even nowadays
An Ego Behind The Wheel on 10:03 - May 28 with 4079 viewsDeepcutHoop

An Ego Behind The Wheel on 08:57 - May 28 by TGRRRSSS

I can't really see that happening...

Often hard on speedometers to actually be totally sure your not a mile or so over even nowadays

Speedos are not allowed to show a slower speed than you are travelling.

Ive had this discussion on other forums, and I've seen that very fact used to justify why people speed.

That and the line that the police let you have a certain amount over the speed limit before they'll do anything, and people are justifying driving at over the limit by 10mph or more.

If you stick to the speed limit, it's safer, you're not risking being caught speeding at all, it makes little difference to your eventual journey time, and traffic would flow better if everyone was on the same page.

I know it's idealistic, but until driverless cars are a reality, it's the best I can hope for :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024