Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? 13:27 - May 28 with 5257 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 28 May 2016 13:34]
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:53 - May 31 with 1098 viewsR_from_afar

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:42 - May 31 by daveB

but what if 3rd and 4th are separated by goal difference, and 4th are only a point off the top 2, does 4th place then get an extra advantage?

Thanks for indulging me Dave! No, in the scenario you describe, the current process would prevail because the team in third had not achieved the 20 point gap which entitles it to an advantage.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:45 - Jun 1 with 1012 viewsJuzzie

Didn't like them at first especially as it always seemed the 6th placed team in the Championship always seemed to win in the early years. Always a bugger for the team who finished 3rd no longer got automatic.

However, it actually gives teams hope & something to play for almost down to mid-table and stops each division being over bar the top 3 or 5 come March.

AFC Wimbledon seemed set for mid-table safety (which I'm sure they'd be happy with at the start of the season) at one point but went on a great run that propelled them into the playoff's. Once there, you have to go for it and they did. I saw all three games on TV and really like their never-say-die attitude and avoidance of sitting back when just a goal ahead or playing into the corner in the last 5 mins or so. They continually attacked in the last few minutes, "best form of defence...." and all that.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 09:37 - Jun 3 with 932 viewsisawqpratwcity

I've always been in favour of play-offs since the Liverpool-Arsenal game in the '80s when Arse won the title. It was a great cliff-hanger and screamed sudden-deaths are a good idea.

We're still giving 1 and 2 automatic promotion so why not let 3-6 scrap it out?

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:11 - Jun 3 with 925 viewsLongsufferingR

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:20 - May 31 by francisbowles

I seem to remember something similar when the play offs first started. I think there was big crowd trouble with the club that was fom the relegation zone. The outcome was to move to three automatic relegation places.

You're right. No prizes for guessing which club was responsible for the crowd trouble!
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 17:37 - Jun 3 with 883 viewscheeseydane

Are we trying to squeeze out all of the excitement left in football?
Lets face it... theres not much else for most teams... bar the odd game.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 21:14 - Jun 3 with 843 viewsloftus77

As posted before, 5th should play 6th at home in a one-off game (extra time and pens if needed. Winners of 5th/6th plays 4th away (one-off game). Winners of this plays 3rd in play off final at Wembley.

That way every position in the play offs counts.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024