Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? 13:27 - May 28 with 5336 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

[Post edited 28 May 2016 13:34]
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 07:59 - May 29 with 4246 viewsTGRRRSSS

Although painful and with it's kind of unfairness the fact is it's an integral part of the success of Championship and I dare say all the Leagues as it keeps interest going for so many probably well into February (and for many March as well I imagine.

Loads of money and drama, and frankly a guaranteed money spinner.

They are here to stay.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 08:22 - May 29 with 4229 viewseasthertsr

Keep them but tweak the format, there is not enough reward for finishing higher. I think the third place team should go straight to the final, fifth and sixth should play over two legs with the winner playing a one off match at the fourth place team's ground to decide the other finalist.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 08:29 - May 29 with 4216 viewsozexile

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 08:22 - May 29 by easthertsr

Keep them but tweak the format, there is not enough reward for finishing higher. I think the third place team should go straight to the final, fifth and sixth should play over two legs with the winner playing a one off match at the fourth place team's ground to decide the other finalist.

That's a good idea. Very fair.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 08:34 - May 29 with 4211 viewsTGRRRSSS

That isnt a bad idea at all would it create as much money as current format? I guess it also depends on the teams and their capacity's and also who ends up in the final to a certain extent.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:02 - May 29 with 4149 viewsterryb

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 08:22 - May 29 by easthertsr

Why should it be two legs between fifth & sixth?

To keep in line with the next round, this should be a one off match at the home of the fifth club.

Isn't this somewhere in line to how it is in Rugby League & American Football? The play offs are a must for football, but they need to look how other sports run them & pick the right combination.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:55 - May 29 with 4099 viewsCamberleyR

The format definitely needs tweaking. Brighton who had a fantastic season and in most years would have gone up automatically have in effect played 46 preliminary qualifying games to get knocked out in the semi finals of a cup competition.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:08 - May 29 with 4068 viewseasthertsr

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 08:34 - May 29 by TGRRRSSS

That isnt a bad idea at all would it create as much money as current format? I guess it also depends on the teams and their capacity's and also who ends up in the final to a certain extent.

The money made isn't just in the play-off matches themselves but also in the larger attendances of league games of teams vying to get into them in the first place.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 14:16 - May 29 with 4005 viewsdaveB

leave it as it is, cruel on Brighton but but think the best 3 teams have gone up again
Login to get fewer ads

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 14:44 - May 29 with 3972 viewsAntti_Heinola

I have no sympathy for any team that comes third. It's like saying it's cruel on whoever came 7th that they didn't get in the play-offs. The format was there at the start of the season and we've had, what, 20 odd years of it now? More? It's a fantastic format. 3rd has the advantage of playing 6th. Brighton messed it up - had they beaten Derby at home, they would have gone up. Had they beaten Sheff Wed over two legs, with the advantage of second leg at home, they might have gone up. That's football. This season was dead enough as it was in terms of the top 6 and the relegation spots without taking play-offs away. I think the format is perfect. I think a bye to the final could even hurt the team in third - having to sit around for 2 or 3 weeks trying to keep in form / in trim while the other teams stay sharp. Love it!

Bare bones.

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 14:49 - May 29 with 3968 viewsHAYESBOY

Should be scrapped as totally unfair. Wont though because of the money they generate.

Brighton should have gone up this season. They proved over 46 games they were the 3rd best team in this league. They finished 15 points ahead of Sheff Wed and 6 points ahead of Dull.
Always has been ridiculous, even though we benefited from them.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 17:26 - May 29 with 3899 viewsterryb

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 14:49 - May 29 by HAYESBOY

Should be scrapped as totally unfair. Wont though because of the money they generate.

Brighton should have gone up this season. They proved over 46 games they were the 3rd best team in this league. They finished 15 points ahead of Sheff Wed and 6 points ahead of Dull.

It's possible that if you scrapped the play offs, the team finishing third wouldn't be promoted.

Perhaps they would revert to only promoting two teams!

I would also question that we benefited from them. Harold would have left earlier if we had lost in them!
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 17:36 - May 29 with 3882 viewsizlingtonhoop

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 14:49 - May 29 by HAYESBOY

Life's not fair
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 18:32 - May 29 with 3853 viewsHAYESBOY

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 17:36 - May 29 by izlingtonhoop

Life's not fair

You cant argue with that.

How about this.......

Top 8 play 2 leg games through quarter finals to a one off game at Wemberly?

Smells like a trout farm in here

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:08 - May 30 with 3723 viewsfrancisbowles

Probably the best and possibly the only decent change to football in 'modern times'!

Anti is spot on with his comments. 'If it ain't broke don't fix it!'

What has fair got to do with it? Many things are unfair in football, just look at Athletico in the European Cup Final a width of the bar and a width of the post from two penalties, one in normal time and one in the shoot out deprived them of beating their much more expensively assembled neighbours!

The play offs and the road leading to them are great entertainment. What's not to like?
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 17:30 - May 30 with 3596 viewsizlingtonhoop

Three watchable and interesting mathces just happened. Even if most of the last one was a bit boring - excuse to be in the pub though.

I'm rarely interested in any matches that don't involve the Rangers, or, increasingly less so, England. I enjoyed all three of those.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 18:09 - May 30 with 3548 viewsBoston

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 17:30 - May 30 by izlingtonhoop

Three watchable and interesting mathces just happened. Even if most of the last one was a bit boring - excuse to be in the pub though.

I'm rarely interested in any matches that don't involve the Rangers, or, increasingly less so, England. I enjoyed all three of those.

Seconded. These games all meant something, something more interesting to me than Real Bloody Madrid or Barcacorporatelona.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 18:27 - May 30 with 3516 viewsQPR_Jim

The fairest form of play off would be to have two automatic promotion and relegation spots in each league then the two abovethe relegation spots in the league above play each other and the two below the promotion spots play each other then the losing team from the league above play the winning team from the league below to determine who's better in the final. That would mean for example the loser of Charlton and Rotherham would play the better of Walsall and Millwall to determine who's in the championship.

Probably wouldn't be fair for premiership teams to play championship as their is a gulf in funding but it would probably work well in the football league, especially if they increase to four leagues.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 19:35 - May 30 with 3485 viewsizlingtonhoop

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 18:09 - May 30 by Boston

Seconded. These games all meant something, something more interesting to me than Real Bloody Madrid or Barcacorporatelona.

Goddam right.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 19:54 - May 30 with 3476 viewsonlyrinmoray

I love the play offs a highlight of every season for me There is always something special happens great goals, end to end games and ... last minute goals Plus its great to see proper football fans at Wembley not Scumwall of course.

Did you know that for our play off final....Zammmorraa attendance was 87 000.. more than the Real Madrid Athletico final which had 71 942.. Hull Weds was 70 189... Barnsley Scumwall 51 277
Figures from todays i paper
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:20 - May 31 with 3357 viewsfrancisbowles

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 18:27 - May 30 by QPR_Jim

The fairest form of play off would be to have two automatic promotion and relegation spots in each league then the two abovethe relegation spots in the league above play each other and the two below the promotion spots play each other then the losing team from the league above play the winning team from the league below to determine who's better in the final. That would mean for example the loser of Charlton and Rotherham would play the better of Walsall and Millwall to determine who's in the championship.

Probably wouldn't be fair for premiership teams to play championship as their is a gulf in funding but it would probably work well in the football league, especially if they increase to four leagues.

I seem to remember something similar when the play offs first started. I think there was big crowd trouble with the club that was fom the relegation zone. The outcome was to move to three automatic relegation places.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:48 - May 31 with 3335 viewsqprxtc

The play offs are in themselves stupid and unfair. Makes playing 46 games to see who ends up where a bit pointless. But as they made money and gave more interest in the end of season games, they are here to stay.

In fact, why not extend the whole play off idea to the whole division at the end of the season. But make it opposites play each other. So, say Burnley v Bolton and who wins gets promoted and who loses gets relegated. Sort of next goal wins it type deal.

If it worked in the playground it can work it the league.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 11:14 - May 31 with 3314 viewsFDC

I love the playoffs.

Cheers
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:30 - May 31 with 3272 viewsR_from_afar

I like the play-offs but I wonder if it might make things more interesting - and fairer - if the team in third was in some way rewarded if they finished, say, 20 points ahead of fourth place. I was originally thinking they should get automatic promotion but some of the suggestions here have led me to think about them being given an automatic place in the play-off final. They would play the winner of fourth v fifth; sixth place would get nothing if the team in third was 20 points ahead of fourth.

It would make things quite complicated and the broadcasters would get confused (but who cares?) but it could also make things nail-biting until all the league games were played. There would be less taking it easy for teams sat safely in the top six because results could dump the sixth placed team out of the promotion race or catapult the team in third straight into the final.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:41 - May 31 with 3257 viewsdaveB

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 10:48 - May 31 by qprxtc

The play offs are in themselves stupid and unfair. Makes playing 46 games to see who ends up where a bit pointless. But as they made money and gave more interest in the end of season games, they are here to stay.

In fact, why not extend the whole play off idea to the whole division at the end of the season. But make it opposites play each other. So, say Burnley v Bolton and who wins gets promoted and who loses gets relegated. Sort of next goal wins it type deal.

If it worked in the playground it can work it the league.

How is it unfair? It's not the bottom team in the playoffs the 4 teams in are are usually pretty good and keeps the season alive for so many teams. Our league would have been over at Christmas if it was just top 3 go up. They should be putting them in the prem as well for the 4th champions league place.

Playoffs are the best thing to happen to the football league.
Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:42 - May 31 with 3252 viewsdaveB

Playoffs: Scrap or Keep? on 12:30 - May 31 by R_from_afar

I like the play-offs but I wonder if it might make things more interesting - and fairer - if the team in third was in some way rewarded if they finished, say, 20 points ahead of fourth place. I was originally thinking they should get automatic promotion but some of the suggestions here have led me to think about them being given an automatic place in the play-off final. They would play the winner of fourth v fifth; sixth place would get nothing if the team in third was 20 points ahead of fourth.

It would make things quite complicated and the broadcasters would get confused (but who cares?) but it could also make things nail-biting until all the league games were played. There would be less taking it easy for teams sat safely in the top six because results could dump the sixth placed team out of the promotion race or catapult the team in third straight into the final.

RFA

but what if 3rd and 4th are separated by goal difference, and 4th are only a point off the top 2, does 4th place then get an extra advantage?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024