Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs 12:02 - May 30 with 3576 viewsWatfordR

I'm planning a visit to Ireland at the end of June, ferry into Rosslare and drive around the coast of Ireland through Cork and Kerry for a few days before heading back up into Meath for a wedding.

Don't know that part of Ireland very well and I'm looking for suggestions as to where to go and what to visit. Booking into a B&B in Kinsale for the first night of the stay, but nothing firm planned after that.

Would welcome all ideas please. Might even be open to meeting up for a beer somewhere along the way! Cheers!!
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 13:35 - May 30 with 3515 viewsBoston

Ventry, Co.Kerry. Good beach and history, German U Boat surfaced during the war to let off sailors from a ship they had sunk in the Atlantic. Also a bloke who used to work for me has a guest house there.
[Post edited 30 May 2016 13:36]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 14:36 - May 30 with 3472 viewshook_hoops

My dad was from Dingle in Co Kerry and I've paid many visits to that part of the world. The Dingle Peninsular has some stunning scenery and the town of Dingle itself is great with loads of pubs and plenty of live music. We stay at the Skellig hotel but can be a bit pricey, especially this time of year when the Americans come to town. Enjoy your trip.
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 15:15 - May 30 with 3452 viewsextratimeR

Beara peninsular Kerry/West Cork, well worth a visit, cross the Healy Pass, beautiful views of the Lake below, and take the coast road to Killmackalogue harbour, spend the day at the Pier (great pint and salmon at Helens).

Follow the road round to Kenmare, lots of bars and restaurants very friendly, Sallyport B&B best in town.
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 17:06 - May 31 with 3260 viewsWatfordR

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Dingle was somewhere we were thinking of visiting. Haven't really done an "off the cuff" type of trip like this before, so I am looking forward to it.. Suppose the weather will play a big part in what we do and when. Will drop a line on what we do once we get back!
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 09:36 - Jun 1 with 3181 viewsIrishR

Follow the wild Atlantic way. In Kinsale take a trip out to the old head and ponder why you chose QPR like i do :P. Beara peninsula (cross the cable car to Dursey Ireland and meet some strange locals). Head to Baltimore and over to Sherkin Island or Cape Clear to get away from it all. Join the masses on the Ring of Kerry and if going further go up to the cliffs of Moher in Clare. I find the Beara Peninsula as beautiful as the ring of kerry but I would as im from Cork. That said make sure you book a boat out to Skellig rock just off valentia island/portmagee it is truly amazing and Ireland's best kept secret until star wars rocked up there recently.

Regarding accommodation you will have numerous options on the route you are looking to go and could just book on the day depending on where you want to rest your head.
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 10:53 - Jun 1 with 3152 viewsA40Bosh

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 09:36 - Jun 1 by IrishR

Follow the wild Atlantic way. In Kinsale take a trip out to the old head and ponder why you chose QPR like i do :P. Beara peninsula (cross the cable car to Dursey Ireland and meet some strange locals). Head to Baltimore and over to Sherkin Island or Cape Clear to get away from it all. Join the masses on the Ring of Kerry and if going further go up to the cliffs of Moher in Clare. I find the Beara Peninsula as beautiful as the ring of kerry but I would as im from Cork. That said make sure you book a boat out to Skellig rock just off valentia island/portmagee it is truly amazing and Ireland's best kept secret until star wars rocked up there recently.

Regarding accommodation you will have numerous options on the route you are looking to go and could just book on the day depending on where you want to rest your head.

Hi Mate, hope you enjoy your "summer" visit to Ireland

Please feel free to borrow my annual summer in Ireland Pre-Journey Checklist

Raincoat: Check
Hat: Check
Gloves: Check
Umbrella: Pointless, it will just get snapped in two
Aran Sweater: Check
Waterproof Trousers: Check
Windscreen Wiper Blades replaced: Check
Windscreen demister working: Check
Fog Light Bulbs working: Check

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 13:10 - Jun 1 with 3114 viewsA40Bosh

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 09:36 - Jun 1 by IrishR

"That said make sure you book a boat out to Skellig rock just off valentia island/portmagee it is truly amazing and Ireland's best kept secret until star wars rocked up there recently. "

Go mbeidh an fórsa leat!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 22:02 - Jun 3 with 2989 viewsMrSheen

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 10:53 - Jun 1 by A40Bosh

Hi Mate, hope you enjoy your "summer" visit to Ireland

Please feel free to borrow my annual summer in Ireland Pre-Journey Checklist

Raincoat: Check
Hat: Check
Gloves: Check
Umbrella: Pointless, it will just get snapped in two
Aran Sweater: Check
Waterproof Trousers: Check
Windscreen Wiper Blades replaced: Check
Windscreen demister working: Check
Fog Light Bulbs working: Check

I'm typing this from Cable O'Leary's pub over the beach in Ballinskelligs, on the Wild Atlantic Way on the Iveragh peninsula in County Kerry. The sunburn on the top of my head and my neck is throbbing away; the sun has shone every minute since we got here on Sunday ( a once in 20 year event according to the locals). It's absolutely gorgeous here - anywhere West of Cahersiveen and Waterville, including Valentia Island. It's not as busy with tourists as the Dingle peninsula which is the next one to the north but the Star Wars hype has brought more people here. The food is great here, with the Bridge Bar/Moorings restaurant in Portmagee absolutely outstanding for fish.
Login to get fewer ads

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 13:38 - Jun 27 with 2777 viewsWatfordR

So, just back from a really lovely week in Ireland. Thanks to all of you for your advice, tried to take in as many of your tips as possible. For anyone else thinking of a similar trip, here's my do's and dont's and recommendations:

Although we were principally looking to book B&Bs as we went, the first night we booked into a hotel just above Cork City called the Montenotte. Great deal as the place is being refurbished, and will (once its finished) be a good deal more expensive. Lovely balcony view from the restaurant over Cork City, good grub and very friendly. Paid a visit to Kinsale which was a lovely little port, somewhat spoilt on the day by absolutely driving rain. Pretty much the only rain we saw all week.

Other lovely spots we saw were Clonakilty, with the Michael Collins museum if you're interested, Owenahincha with a small but beautiful beach with black sand and incredible rocky landline, and Union Hall a quiet little fishing port with some great views (thanks Brian). Up Healy Pass and into the mountains, right up into the Gods with some breathtaking scenery and views of the lake below (thanks extratimeR). Stopped in Castletownbere for Monday night and would thoroughly recommend Island View B&B (best of the week). Ate in Murphys restaurant and asked for a Guinness, and was told "Certainly Sir, I'll just go over to the pub across the road and get you one"!!!! With me three minutes later lol.

Tuesday took us through Kenmare, Sneem and onto Portmagee to try and take a trip out to Skellig Rock. There's only one landing on the rock per day, leaving Portmagee at 10am, but this (due to Star Wars) was booked out until 17th July. Beware! Valentia was a lovely drive, then took a ferry to Caherciveen. Heading for Dingle, we stopped at Inch Beach which is about 2 miles long. A lovely walk, with a few cars driving up and down it. What could be better than a drive along deserted beach we thought? Well, two hours later after getting stuck in the sand two miles away from humanity with the tide coming in, we'd thought of a few things!! Warning - the tractor rescue and ride will cost you 100 euros!

Stopped in Dingle for the night, found a really gorgeous little bar, the Irish Pub. Sounds naff, but if you are looking for authentic traditional Irish music, this is well worth a visit.

Wednesday, drove through the Dingle Peninsula with (in my opinion) the best views and scenery of the lot. Fort Dunbeag, a promontory fort dating back in parts to BC was worth a visit, with old Famine Cottages just beyond. Slieve Head Drive took us through Ballyferriter and some jaw dropping scenery. Then heading on to Ennis through Connor Pass and on towards Tarbert, we found Stradbally Beach. Golden sand miles and miles long and we were the only ones on it. Quite humbling really, felt privileged. Finally stopped in Ennis for the night, watched Ireland - Italy in McHughs Bar. What a night!

Back home now wishing I wasn't. Like a different world. Oh well. There's always next year.
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 14:07 - Jun 27 with 2753 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 13:38 - Jun 27 by WatfordR

So, just back from a really lovely week in Ireland. Thanks to all of you for your advice, tried to take in as many of your tips as possible. For anyone else thinking of a similar trip, here's my do's and dont's and recommendations:

Although we were principally looking to book B&Bs as we went, the first night we booked into a hotel just above Cork City called the Montenotte. Great deal as the place is being refurbished, and will (once its finished) be a good deal more expensive. Lovely balcony view from the restaurant over Cork City, good grub and very friendly. Paid a visit to Kinsale which was a lovely little port, somewhat spoilt on the day by absolutely driving rain. Pretty much the only rain we saw all week.

Other lovely spots we saw were Clonakilty, with the Michael Collins museum if you're interested, Owenahincha with a small but beautiful beach with black sand and incredible rocky landline, and Union Hall a quiet little fishing port with some great views (thanks Brian). Up Healy Pass and into the mountains, right up into the Gods with some breathtaking scenery and views of the lake below (thanks extratimeR). Stopped in Castletownbere for Monday night and would thoroughly recommend Island View B&B (best of the week). Ate in Murphys restaurant and asked for a Guinness, and was told "Certainly Sir, I'll just go over to the pub across the road and get you one"!!!! With me three minutes later lol.

Tuesday took us through Kenmare, Sneem and onto Portmagee to try and take a trip out to Skellig Rock. There's only one landing on the rock per day, leaving Portmagee at 10am, but this (due to Star Wars) was booked out until 17th July. Beware! Valentia was a lovely drive, then took a ferry to Caherciveen. Heading for Dingle, we stopped at Inch Beach which is about 2 miles long. A lovely walk, with a few cars driving up and down it. What could be better than a drive along deserted beach we thought? Well, two hours later after getting stuck in the sand two miles away from humanity with the tide coming in, we'd thought of a few things!! Warning - the tractor rescue and ride will cost you 100 euros!

Stopped in Dingle for the night, found a really gorgeous little bar, the Irish Pub. Sounds naff, but if you are looking for authentic traditional Irish music, this is well worth a visit.

Wednesday, drove through the Dingle Peninsula with (in my opinion) the best views and scenery of the lot. Fort Dunbeag, a promontory fort dating back in parts to BC was worth a visit, with old Famine Cottages just beyond. Slieve Head Drive took us through Ballyferriter and some jaw dropping scenery. Then heading on to Ennis through Connor Pass and on towards Tarbert, we found Stradbally Beach. Golden sand miles and miles long and we were the only ones on it. Quite humbling really, felt privileged. Finally stopped in Ennis for the night, watched Ireland - Italy in McHughs Bar. What a night!

Back home now wishing I wasn't. Like a different world. Oh well. There's always next year.

Sounds like you had a great week, Watford. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry we missed each other. We'll have that pint in the bush instead.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 14:52 - Jun 27 with 2735 viewsBoston

Clonakilty...best black pudding in the World.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 10:38 - Jun 28 with 2660 viewsWatfordR

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 14:07 - Jun 27 by BrianMcCarthy

Sounds like you had a great week, Watford. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sorry we missed each other. We'll have that pint in the bush instead.

Thanks for your tips and advice Brian. First pint is on me!
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 21:34 - Jun 28 with 2609 viewskingshill

Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 14:52 - Jun 27 by Boston

Clonakilty...best black pudding in the World.

Best white pudding and sausages too
Calling all Cork/Kerry Rs on 12:52 - Jun 29 with 2544 viewsMrSheen

Top tip for anyone planning to drive the Ring of Kerry. The buses (and there seem to be hundreds) always go round anti-clockwise, so you'll see a lot more than the back of a bus going at 25mph if you go clockwise: Killarney-Kenmare-Sneem-Waterville-Cahersiveen-Killorglin.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024