Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wimbledon 18:18 - May 30 with 5003 viewsBoston

...sorta pleased for them, difficult as I've never really liked or had any time for the club. Yes, yes, was around for their 'plucky, heroic' cup runs but still never warmed to the outfit . Same with Dagenham & Redbridge now I think about it and Barnet and....
[Post edited 30 May 2016 18:19]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wimbledon on 10:09 - May 31 with 1522 viewsToast_R

Hopefully they can now get their new stadium locked down. Would be an absolute travesty if the Mayors office pull the plug on it.

I see the Irish Greyhound bloke has quickly submitted a new planning application sighting more affordable housing and comparing the community benefits of his proposal over the already Council approved AFC one. What a snake!
[Post edited 31 May 2016 10:12]
Wimbledon on 10:14 - May 31 with 1516 viewsCamberleyR

Quite appropriate that this was achieved on the 14th anniversary of the formation of the club by the fans.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Wimbledon on 10:19 - May 31 with 1505 viewsCamberleyR

Wimbledon on 10:09 - May 31 by Toast_R

Hopefully they can now get their new stadium locked down. Would be an absolute travesty if the Mayors office pull the plug on it.

I see the Irish Greyhound bloke has quickly submitted a new planning application sighting more affordable housing and comparing the community benefits of his proposal over the already Council approved AFC one. What a snake!

Would be a bit tricky now they've sold the lease of Kingsmeadow to the filth.

Wimbledon on 10:50 - May 31 with 1469 viewstraininvain

In my opinion this is more of a football fairy-tale than Leicester winning the league.

Hope they stuff MK Dons next season.
Wimbledon on 11:01 - May 31 with 1439 viewswillis1980

Wimbledon on 10:09 - May 31 by Toast_R

khan is from area id be surprised if hed pull the plug on it, you see him walking about there quite often. i dint think he could do that if he pulled the plug
Wimbledon on 11:17 - May 31 with 1421 viewstraininvain

Wimbledon on 11:01 - May 31 by willis1980

khan is from area id be surprised if hed pull the plug on it, you see him walking about there quite often. i dint think he could do that if he pulled the plug

Boris Johnson called it in. Hopefully Khan will change that.
Wimbledon on 11:54 - May 31 with 1387 viewsQPR1882

They are playing at the same level as MK Dons,but for the 1st time in there very short history they will start the season above MK Dons. That is some achievement.
[Post edited 31 May 2016 11:56]
Wimbledon on 05:54 - Jun 1 with 1213 viewsYorkRanger

Fantastic achievement and full credit to those determined people who made it happen. What the FA agreed to in allowing the theft of a club's identity was a terrible wrong.

Spent quite a bit of time at Plough Lane as a young lad as I could walk there and my mum wouldn't let me travel across London to Loftus Rd on those occasions that the old man wasn't able to go to the match

Hopefully the planning will now finally get approved for the new stadium and allow the club to return to Merton.
Login to get fewer ads

Wimbledon on 07:20 - Jun 1 with 1167 viewshoopdog

Agreed , where are they at with their plans for a new stadium ?
Wimbledon on 09:20 - Jun 1 with 1134 viewsToast_R

Wimbledon on 07:20 - Jun 1 by hoopdog

Merton Council approved the plans back in December but Boris the prick called it in for review. Obviously he has now left office so it's in the hands of Sadiq Khan. The concern is that some local residents (ironically those occupying the big residential development which stands ont he original Plough Lane site) objected to the plans sighting bollocks like over crowding in the area on match days. Hmm. Currently the site is a down trodden sh*thole of a Greyhound stadium which has been crying out for investment for over 20 years. The plans AFC have put in are a vast improvement to what is currently there. My only concern is that Sadiq Khan was the MP for Wandsworth and Tooting which is on the borders of the site and he may side with the residents who have kicked up a bit of a fuss especially as his promise of more affordable housing for Londoners has already come in to serious question.

Meanwhile AFC's competitor an Irish Greyhound racing Guru who had his plans turned down in favour of AFC's, has re-submitted a new application to the Council promising more social housing and basically picking every fault with the already approved AFC plans and pointing out how his vision is a far better deal for the area. It would seem like he's p*ssing in the wind a bit but with a new Mayor overlooking it all, you just never know.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2016 9:24]
Wimbledon on 09:23 - Jun 1 with 1129 viewsCamberleyR

Wimbledon on 07:20 - Jun 1 by hoopdog

They received unanimous approval for planning permission for the new stadium from the council in December last year however in March Boris Johnson decided to "call in" (not sure exactly what the term means) the application. Not sure whether this will change now they have a new Mayor.

This gives more details:
http://www.merton.gov.uk/environment/designandconservation/design/wimbledon_grey

Wimbledon on 09:39 - Jun 1 with 1117 viewsElHoop

Wimbledon is the last of the good old greyhound tracks so Wimbledon have blood on their own hands here. Sure it's a shithole but so were most of the others and so were most of the non-league grounds which have vanished over the years. Some day in the future we won't be thanked for allowing all of this to happen. There should be local sports arenas and grounds and parks and things to do other than sit in your little flat on the internet or watching TV. Gradually they are all disappearing.
Wimbledon on 09:59 - Jun 1 with 1105 viewshoof_hearted

Wimbledon on 09:39 - Jun 1 by ElHoop

Wimbledon is the last of the good old greyhound tracks so Wimbledon have blood on their own hands here. Sure it's a shithole but so were most of the others and so were most of the non-league grounds which have vanished over the years. Some day in the future we won't be thanked for allowing all of this to happen. There should be local sports arenas and grounds and parks and things to do other than sit in your little flat on the internet or watching TV. Gradually they are all disappearing.

Don't be daft. Greyhound tracks were only ever viable because they could sell booze in the afternoon. Blame all day drinking laws and high street betting shops if you want to shed a tear for mistreating dogs - not Wimbledon.
Wimbledon on 10:11 - Jun 1 with 1089 viewsElHoop

Wimbledon on 09:59 - Jun 1 by hoof_hearted

Don't be daft. Greyhound tracks were only ever viable because they could sell booze in the afternoon. Blame all day drinking laws and high street betting shops if you want to shed a tear for mistreating dogs - not Wimbledon.

Oh right OK then, the voice of reason has spoken.
Wimbledon on 10:39 - Jun 1 with 1069 viewsToast_R

Wimbledon on 09:39 - Jun 1 by ElHoop

I can’t agree with that. Greyhound racing is from a bygone era that’s been dying on it’s arse for years. Saying it should stay because it’s always been there is a bit like the argument over the dog sh*t coated footpath running through Warren Farm. If it was that important and vital, why is has is been left in the state it’s in?

Hopefully the plans will get the nod, it’s a development that will serve a diverse community far greater in this day and age then a greyhound track ever could. It’s will be great for the surrounding area’s businesses who could have an influx of regular customers coming their way again.

Wimbledon fans have been homeless since 1991 and lost their club, how can anyone begrudge them this little piece of long overdue justice?
Wimbledon on 10:53 - Jun 1 with 950 viewsElHoop

Wimbledon on 10:39 - Jun 1 by Toast_R

I can’t agree with that. Greyhound racing is from a bygone era that’s been dying on it’s arse for years. Saying it should stay because it’s always been there is a bit like the argument over the dog sh*t coated footpath running through Warren Farm. If it was that important and vital, why is has is been left in the state it’s in?

Hopefully the plans will get the nod, it’s a development that will serve a diverse community far greater in this day and age then a greyhound track ever could. It’s will be great for the surrounding area’s businesses who could have an influx of regular customers coming their way again.

Wimbledon fans have been homeless since 1991 and lost their club, how can anyone begrudge them this little piece of long overdue justice?

Well I'm sorry but I just don't see how knocking down grounds or dog tracks or building on parks and building flats in their place is progress.

If you knock down a football ground or a dog track then you should replace it with something else similar. The Greyhound Derby was a great event and it's gone now, gone for good. It's too easy to run them down and knock them down and build flats - there's too much money involved to make it worthwhile renovating a dog track when you can sell it to builders. In Ireland the dog tracks are still doing well. Nothing to do with drinking hours or any of that nonsense. It's all shit anyway. Yeah Wimbledon going back home is just about the least shit thing that could have happened to a dog track but it's still shitting on someone else's grave.
Wimbledon on 10:57 - Jun 1 with 948 viewshoof_hearted

Wimbledon on 10:11 - Jun 1 by ElHoop

Oh right OK then, the voice of reason has spoken.

Well it's reasonable to say that a stadium that is sold by it's owners because it makes no money is better used by a thriving football club. It's reasonable to say that the day time drinking laws and new look betting shops have killed the viability of greyhound racing and it's reasonable not to like a sport that isn't very kind to animals. I guess that makes me the voice of reason, so you win the argument. Well done.
Wimbledon on 11:00 - Jun 1 with 943 viewsElHoop

Wimbledon on 10:57 - Jun 1 by hoof_hearted

Well it's reasonable to say that a stadium that is sold by it's owners because it makes no money is better used by a thriving football club. It's reasonable to say that the day time drinking laws and new look betting shops have killed the viability of greyhound racing and it's reasonable not to like a sport that isn't very kind to animals. I guess that makes me the voice of reason, so you win the argument. Well done.

That wasn't actually what i was saying.

But well done anyway.
Wimbledon on 11:01 - Jun 1 with 943 viewsCamberleyR

Wimbledon on 10:39 - Jun 1 by Toast_R

Totally agree. A few months ago Sadiq Khan was against the plans. Let's hope he's had a change of heart now he's in office.

Wimbledon on 12:10 - Jun 1 with 885 viewsstowmarketrange

They did the same with the old White City stadium.They flattened it so that they could build offices that 30 years later would be left empty.
What a waste of the land that could have been used to build us a decent ground.
Wimbledon on 12:42 - Jun 1 with 853 viewsDannyPaddox

Spare a thought also for non-league Bletchley Moenchengladbach. The Enigma Boys' crowds never recovered after MK Dons moved next door.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2016 12:44]
Wimbledon on 13:59 - Jun 1 with 802 viewshopphoops

Wimbledon on 12:42 - Jun 1 by DannyPaddox

Spare a thought also for non-league Bletchley Moenchengladbach. The Enigma Boys' crowds never recovered after MK Dons moved next door.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2016 12:44]

Well i was warming to them but they changed their name at midnight to adf és5345lkjouio adfa3243. I was just getting used to that 24 hours later but they changed to 435"ç% Argyle.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024