Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The war on the motorist 08:55 - May 31 with 6212 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Wasn't that officialy declared over by Government a few years back.

Looks like they were lying, yet again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36399408
The war on the motorist on 08:59 - May 31 with 3826 viewsTheBlob

Specifically programmed to spot the movement of ISIS mopeds and Toyota trucks.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The war on the motorist on 09:07 - May 31 with 3812 viewsKonk

What’s the issue with average speed cameras? If you comply with the law, where’s the problem?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The war on the motorist on 09:08 - May 31 with 3808 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Oh no the ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition ) system is there to keep track of journalists suspected of hacking Huge Grunt's mobile phone
The war on the motorist on 09:28 - May 31 with 3768 viewsstevec

The war on the motorist on 09:07 - May 31 by Konk

What’s the issue with average speed cameras? If you comply with the law, where’s the problem?

It's how Governments continually reset the bar that should worry you.

There may come a day, when it's set so high, even the most virtuous amongst us crash and burn.
The war on the motorist on 09:56 - May 31 with 3728 viewsAntti_Heinola

Cars as we know them will be obsolete in a few years anyway, so not really worth worrying about.

Bare bones.

The war on the motorist on 10:00 - May 31 with 3722 viewsOldPedro

Whenever I go through an area covered by average speed cameras, it always makes me laugh at the number of cars that go speeding past and then slow down to go past the cameras - they obviously don't know what average actually means!

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

The war on the motorist on 10:18 - May 31 with 3683 viewsDWQPR

It's not so much the speed cameras that get my goat, after all the A40 now seems to flow better with the average speed camera system and a speed limit is there for a purpose. What annoyed me recently was a £65 fine I got for doing a three point turn. I wanted to turn right to head eastbound on the Talgarth Road recently from North End Road and there is a no right turn sign at the traffic lights, so I went across, travelled up from the junction around 100 yards, waited to the road was clear both sides and then began the manoeuvre safely and turned around without inconveniencing any other motorists. The lines in the middle of the road are broken white lines and not solid ones, yet I was caught on camera and told to pay £65. Yes I could have appealed but have you ever tried an appeal? You are guaranteed to lose, and the fine doubles. I will go back down that section of road soon and check the various road signs to see what I have missed, but certainly that camera has been put there for one thing, and that is to make money, nothing whatsoever to do with road safety.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The war on the motorist on 10:25 - May 31 with 3674 viewsTonto

how is it a "war on motorists"? surely its only a "war on motorists that are doing something they shouldn't"

Lets be honest - the majority of drivers are selfish tosspots when behind the wheel (and I include myself as I speed). People complain about parking enforcement - but if only people didn't park in stupid places or selfishly we wouldn't need it! An accident only takes a second to happen...

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Login to get fewer ads

The war on the motorist on 10:50 - May 31 with 3637 viewsJamieNaz

The war on the motorist on 10:18 - May 31 by DWQPR

It's not so much the speed cameras that get my goat, after all the A40 now seems to flow better with the average speed camera system and a speed limit is there for a purpose. What annoyed me recently was a £65 fine I got for doing a three point turn. I wanted to turn right to head eastbound on the Talgarth Road recently from North End Road and there is a no right turn sign at the traffic lights, so I went across, travelled up from the junction around 100 yards, waited to the road was clear both sides and then began the manoeuvre safely and turned around without inconveniencing any other motorists. The lines in the middle of the road are broken white lines and not solid ones, yet I was caught on camera and told to pay £65. Yes I could have appealed but have you ever tried an appeal? You are guaranteed to lose, and the fine doubles. I will go back down that section of road soon and check the various road signs to see what I have missed, but certainly that camera has been put there for one thing, and that is to make money, nothing whatsoever to do with road safety.

Appeal everything.

Specifically do a google search on the camera reference / junction or whatever it is that catches you as undoubtedly you'll find other people talking about it on some sort of parking warrior forums. They'll often have some text you can just copy and paste and stick in an appeal.

3/4 times you'll get off.
The war on the motorist on 11:04 - May 31 with 3615 viewsblacky200

My problem with cameras of any sort are they don't actually catch the bad drivers, mobile phone users etc. I would rather have someone on a motorway doing 85 mph while driving correctly than someone driving past a school at 25 mph while texting, looking over their shoulder at the kids in the back, applying make up, eating or drinking etc.
The more these cameras are used the less police the authorities think they need so less of a chance to actually catch proper offenders.
The war on the motorist on 11:13 - May 31 with 3589 viewsQPR_Jim

The war on the motorist on 11:04 - May 31 by blacky200

My problem with cameras of any sort are they don't actually catch the bad drivers, mobile phone users etc. I would rather have someone on a motorway doing 85 mph while driving correctly than someone driving past a school at 25 mph while texting, looking over their shoulder at the kids in the back, applying make up, eating or drinking etc.
The more these cameras are used the less police the authorities think they need so less of a chance to actually catch proper offenders.

Totally agree.
The war on the motorist on 11:14 - May 31 with 3587 viewsBoston

Slowly but surely the public accept 'Big Brother'.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The war on the motorist on 11:17 - May 31 with 3581 viewsGloryHunter

Has anyone on here ever actually received a ticket for speeding in an average-speed zone? Or are the cameras just a bluff?
The war on the motorist on 11:19 - May 31 with 3581 viewsKonk

If you had a copper stood with a camera by the side of any street in London (Britain?), filming cars going past, you would catch an extraordinary amount of motorists on their phones. Blitz that for a few weeks at random pop-up spots and you'd see a dramatic reduction in mobile phone use as well as a few bob to stick in the pot for public transport and cycling infrastructure. Makes the roads safer, punishes transgressors and raised much needed revenue - great.

We have had two high speed/high impact crashes on the junction outside my house in the past year, despite the fact we have a 20mph speed limit, a large junior school on the street behind us and a huge park, meaning there are always loads of small kids in the area. On both occasions, one of the cars ended up on the pavement, with drivers needing to be cut out of cars. And the di ck who ignored the speed limit and give way signs, smashed into the side of someone and destroyed my front garden wall, didn't have any insurance either. Nice. With the exception of people driving at wildly inappropriate speeds, it's a quiet, residential, inner-city area - no-one should be bombing around at 40mph.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

The war on the motorist on 11:59 - May 31 with 3511 viewsbosh67

Surely lippy and phone cameras would be better.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The war on the motorist on 12:06 - May 31 with 3492 viewsE17hoop

Ride a motorbike; average speed cameras are front facing to identify the driver so motorcycles are never tagged.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

The war on the motorist on 12:16 - May 31 with 3468 viewsDWQPR

The war on the motorist on 12:06 - May 31 by E17hoop

Ride a motorbike; average speed cameras are front facing to identify the driver so motorcycles are never tagged.

Not anymore they aren't. The ones on the A40 and the North Circular are rear facing as are the ones now starting to pop up on motorways. With regards to the ones on motorways where there are roadworks I was told a few years ago that none were plugged in by a person in the know, shall we say. During the time that they were doing three years of roadworks on the M1 between junctions 11 and 13, a nice three miles often during night matches when driving back late to MK, I used to use the contraflow lane a lot and at 70mph instead of 50 and never got a ticket, I assume that these cameras have no flash attached and therefore cannot see in the dark, I was also told that switching lanes helps avoid them and certainly if you pass them on the blind side of an HGV then they will not see you.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

The war on the motorist on 12:28 - May 31 with 3441 viewspaulparker

The war on the motorist on 11:13 - May 31 by QPR_Jim

Totally agree.

some pr1ck in a breakdown truck pulled out on me on a slip road joining the A43 yesterday at 5 mph, I thought he had broken down himself but he was actually looking at something on his phone , this on a dual carriageway FFS he practically stopped the truk in the left hand lane it could have caused a really bad accident , he got a volley of verbal's off me the cnt

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

The war on the motorist on 13:26 - May 31 with 3355 viewsHunterhoop

I wouldn't have a problem with average speed cameras if the speed limit was higher.

They haven't been increased for decades, if ever, in some cases. Yet cars are much easier to handle, far quicker to break to a halt, and far safer in terms of withstanding impact.

70mph on the motorway is ridiculous given the advances in car safety. Yes, traffic flows better when everyone isn't accelerating and breaking all the time (common sense), but there is little to no logic setting that pace at 70mph. It should be 85mph. We have 3 lane motorways, and often dual carriageway A roads. Surely you could have traffic travelling at 85mph in the outside line, 80mph in the middle lane and 70-75mph in the inside lane.

Why do we want everyone driving at the same pace as 40 years ago, when car technology has advanced so much?

Finally, the key overall point, already made by some, is that speed does not kill, bad driving kills. Driving whilst, tailgating, texting or doing your make up (or stoned or drunk) is far more dangerous than driving at 90mph in a 70 zone or 60 in a 50.
The war on the motorist on 13:53 - May 31 with 3310 viewsLythamR

The war on the motorist on 09:07 - May 31 by Konk

Dont have a problem with average speed cameras in urban areas, western avenue, a5, a14 etc

but the ones on the a9 are ridiculous and have taken all the joy out of the journey between perth and Aviemore / Inverness everything backs up behind a lorry or coach and then people are scared to go over 60 even of the short duel carraigeway sections meaning not everyone gets past the slow movers, its idiotic and dangerous because it causes massive frustration resulting in people flipping out and trying ludicrous overtaking attempts
The war on the motorist on 14:20 - May 31 with 3283 viewsJuzzie

The war on the motorist on 10:00 - May 31 by OldPedro

Whenever I go through an area covered by average speed cameras, it always makes me laugh at the number of cars that go speeding past and then slow down to go past the cameras - they obviously don't know what average actually means!

This happened on the Hammersmith flyover last year or two, due to all the ongoing work it had a limited average speed of 30mph with camera's each end yet people would zoom across at silly speeds then slow down at the end. They must have raked in a fortune and in this case I'm glad everyone who did this got done as some of the speeds were easily in excess of 60mph.
The war on the motorist on 14:25 - May 31 with 3273 viewsWrightUp5hit___

I don't think a lot of people understand the significance of the A9 to those who live in the North of Scotland

The north south route for all road traffic, the railways carry very little now and the road is full of artic's hauling for Lidl, Tescos et al.

Its 100 miles of road. I see in that article that the longest section of ASC's in England is 12 miles
The war on the motorist on 14:25 - May 31 with 3273 viewsJuzzie

Ditto. The amount of people (women the majority and I'm not being sexist, it's an observation) I see on phones beggars disbelief. You even get people giving me the "whatcha talking abowt?" look when I have a go as they seem to think that using the speakerphone and holding it like they're about to eat it is somehow not the same thing.

I've seen people veer across lanes and back again and one day it'll be me next t them that then gets hit.
The war on the motorist on 14:27 - May 31 with 3266 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Got overtaken on the A40 the other morning by someone reading a paper, and no it wasn't a tabloid.
The war on the motorist on 14:28 - May 31 with 3266 viewsDeepcutHoop

The war on the motorist on 13:26 - May 31 by Hunterhoop

I wouldn't have a problem with average speed cameras if the speed limit was higher.

They haven't been increased for decades, if ever, in some cases. Yet cars are much easier to handle, far quicker to break to a halt, and far safer in terms of withstanding impact.

70mph on the motorway is ridiculous given the advances in car safety. Yes, traffic flows better when everyone isn't accelerating and breaking all the time (common sense), but there is little to no logic setting that pace at 70mph. It should be 85mph. We have 3 lane motorways, and often dual carriageway A roads. Surely you could have traffic travelling at 85mph in the outside line, 80mph in the middle lane and 70-75mph in the inside lane.

Why do we want everyone driving at the same pace as 40 years ago, when car technology has advanced so much?

Finally, the key overall point, already made by some, is that speed does not kill, bad driving kills. Driving whilst, tailgating, texting or doing your make up (or stoned or drunk) is far more dangerous than driving at 90mph in a 70 zone or 60 in a 50.

Because faster speed means more damage in accidents.

Accidents still happen in huge numbers, because there are way more cars on the road than there were 40 years ago.

Also, the desperation to go faster than you are told you are allowed to, will not go away. There will still be the same people who justify speeding now, will most likely do the same to justify going over the new limits.

Until the speed limit changes and it will likely not be going up if it does, if everyone stuck to the speed limits, journeys on the motorway would be safer and way less stressful.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024