Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woy Wong? 14:13 - May 31 with 10307 viewsLblock

I'd sooner take Andros T than Sick Note Sturridge.

In fact I'd sooner take anyone than Sicknote!!!

Oh well

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Woy Wong? on 15:51 - May 31 with 1802 viewsCamberleyR

Woy Wong? on 14:50 - May 31 by Antti_Heinola

As usual, we all probably agree on 19 or 20 of the 23, and will argue over the 3 or 4 borderline decisions - none of which are likely to cost us very much either way (Rashford is certainly a potent wild card though).

When selecting a squad you have to look at loads more than just current form. Especially when travelling for several weeks. You might have a good player who perhaps deserves a spot in the 23, but if he's going to be benched and is a player who handles that badly and is a nuisance, you're better off getting more of a team player in (hence one of the reasons Milner is a perennial pick). Then there are 'big' game players - Sturridge is not everyone's cuppa, but he scores goals in big games against good teams. If fit, he has to go.

I'm always a fan of taking 5 strikers, so very happy Rashford is going. Any squad can take one leftfield, young choice and he'll be happy to go whether he plays or not. I suspect he'll get a few minutes, especially if Rooney does drop deeper. Worth a shot, without doubt.

Townsend? Done OK for Newcastle in a few games. Not enough for me. His crossing, passing ans shooting are all lacking.

Drinkwater very unlucky, without a doubt. Henderson and Barkley (in particular) will be heaving a huge sigh of relief.

"Sturridge is not everyone's cuppa, but he scores goals in big games against good teams. If fit, he has to go"

The words Sturridge and fit don't belong in the same sentence. Young Daniel has clearly inherited his sick note genes from Uncle Dean.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35427212
That list is pretty damning.

It wont surprise me if either Sturridge or Wilshere or more likely both break down. I'd put money on it. When was the last time either managed to play 3 games in 9 days?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Woy Wong? on 15:58 - May 31 with 1785 viewsBostonR

It's an ok squad that will not get out of the group stage.

You just know Hodgson will revert to the typical style of an average Eng manager by putting out the established players for the first game, which we will not win. He will then give them another chance which they will blow, only to make wholesale changes in the third game, when it is too late.

One of the most average Eng squads I have seen since 1970 and there has been some dross since then.
Woy Wong? on 15:59 - May 31 with 1783 viewspaulparker

Woy Wong? on 15:21 - May 31 by Antti_Heinola

I think Hodgson may favour the odd Liverpool player who played under him, but I don't think the evidence is that clear cut.

Clyne was called up for England and made his debut while at Southampton.

Carroll made his debut for England while at Newcastle. Played a few times while at Liverpool, and again while on loan at West Ham. In his first full season at West Ham after his transfer, he scored 2 goals. So he lost his international place. Due to that and, you know, being injured all the time.

Ings scored 11 Prem goals, which earned him the Liverpool deal, which, once he played for them, earned him a quick peek into the squad. Nothing sinister there is there?

Henderson made his debut while at Sunderland. He was injured right at the end of the season, but had otherwise played consistently since December, including in big games against Man U and Dortmund in Europe (although I'd probably have taken Drinkwater, admittedly - not Henderson's biggest fan).

Sturridge is hugely frustrating, but he scores goals when fit against the best defences, simple as that. Hugely valuable asset to have, whatever you think of his work ethic. Would have been picked regardless of who he played for.

Lallana and Milner are both good passers, not sure what that's about. Milner is a great squad man, like it or not, every international side will take 2 or 3 of these because you don't want someone sitting around whingeing all day because he's not playing. Superb pro, not the best player ever, but useful. And was picked for his country regardless of which club he's been at over the years.

Townsend has certainly done no more than that lot to get in the squad. Drinkwater is unlucky. Cresswell... certainly on a par with Bertrand and Rose, but it's a toss up really. Noble? Nah, not for me. He's ok. If anything, it's more 'big team bias', not Liverpool bias. West Ham, QPR, Ipswich, Leicester... these teams have always struggled to get their players into the England squad.

Wilshere also lucky to be in the squad, but he doesn't play for Liverpool.

Like Hodgson, though. Good manager.

Clyne was called up to the squad but the woeful Johnson was in front of him for England, at the time Johnson played for Liverpool
Clyne gets in the Liverpool first team and England's first team , Johnson goes to Stoke and never plays again

Carroll made his debut under capello when he was at Newcastle , roy picked him when he played for Liverpool, Carroll scored at the last Euros , as soon as he goes to West Ham he never plays again, carroll is more match fit than sturridge and in better form

Ings played the best football of his life at Burnley , why not put him in the squad then ?
he goes to Liverpool where Rodgers plays him on the wing, scores no goals but then gets called up , why not do it when on fire at Burnley ?

Henderson also made his debut under capello in the same game Carroll did , roy has picked him when he went to Liverpool , Henderson cannot complete 90 minutes , if he played for sunderland still he wouldn't be in the squad

Sturridge cannot last 50 minutes, he was blowing out of his arse in the Europa league final , he is lazy , arrogant , he isn't a team player, he has no pace, he would rather spend 90 minutes on his phone than watching his team mates perform for England
he hasn't played a game for England in 2 years

if shawcross played for Liverpool he would be in the squad I bet a £100 he would

Milner is woeful and because he is a yes man that should give him a squad place ??

Creswell, Noble, Carroll, Defoe, Townsend, Drinkwater, Antonio , have all had better seasons and been more consistent and actually have stayed fit
the squad is picked on bias , and past form , its a mockery really to those who have done the business week in week out
Hodgson is a terrible coach and I hope he gets the sack after this tournament

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Woy Wong? on 16:12 - May 31 with 1742 viewsAntti_Heinola

Woy Wong? on 15:59 - May 31 by paulparker

Clyne was called up to the squad but the woeful Johnson was in front of him for England, at the time Johnson played for Liverpool
Clyne gets in the Liverpool first team and England's first team , Johnson goes to Stoke and never plays again

Carroll made his debut under capello when he was at Newcastle , roy picked him when he played for Liverpool, Carroll scored at the last Euros , as soon as he goes to West Ham he never plays again, carroll is more match fit than sturridge and in better form

Ings played the best football of his life at Burnley , why not put him in the squad then ?
he goes to Liverpool where Rodgers plays him on the wing, scores no goals but then gets called up , why not do it when on fire at Burnley ?

Henderson also made his debut under capello in the same game Carroll did , roy has picked him when he went to Liverpool , Henderson cannot complete 90 minutes , if he played for sunderland still he wouldn't be in the squad

Sturridge cannot last 50 minutes, he was blowing out of his arse in the Europa league final , he is lazy , arrogant , he isn't a team player, he has no pace, he would rather spend 90 minutes on his phone than watching his team mates perform for England
he hasn't played a game for England in 2 years

if shawcross played for Liverpool he would be in the squad I bet a £100 he would

Milner is woeful and because he is a yes man that should give him a squad place ??

Creswell, Noble, Carroll, Defoe, Townsend, Drinkwater, Antonio , have all had better seasons and been more consistent and actually have stayed fit
the squad is picked on bias , and past form , its a mockery really to those who have done the business week in week out
Hodgson is a terrible coach and I hope he gets the sack after this tournament

Well, the case for the prosecution rests. Scouse mafia it is.

It's absolutely brilliant that you genuinely think that he picked Carroll while at Liverpool, because he played for Liverpool, then crossed him off his list once he played for West Ham, because he wasn't at Liverpool anymore. That is adorable! It must have been torture for Roy when he was on loan at West Ham - does he count as a Liverpool player or not?! He must've been awake hours wondering how best to inflict his Liverpool bias in that situation, mustn't he?

Bare bones.

Woy Wong? on 16:23 - May 31 with 1714 viewspaulparker

Woy Wong? on 16:12 - May 31 by Antti_Heinola

Well, the case for the prosecution rests. Scouse mafia it is.

It's absolutely brilliant that you genuinely think that he picked Carroll while at Liverpool, because he played for Liverpool, then crossed him off his list once he played for West Ham, because he wasn't at Liverpool anymore. That is adorable! It must have been torture for Roy when he was on loan at West Ham - does he count as a Liverpool player or not?! He must've been awake hours wondering how best to inflict his Liverpool bias in that situation, mustn't he?

So why is he picking Liverpool players all the time then ,

Most of them are unfit & out of form yet still get in a head of form players such as noble , Antonio , drinkwater, Townsend , Defoe

Adorable that you think Milner is a great squad player who most teams would have ,
Trust me France, Spain, Germany, Italy would go no where near a player like Milner in there squads

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Woy Wong? on 16:48 - May 31 with 1680 viewsdaveB

Woy Wong? on 15:45 - May 31 by Antti_Heinola

I do agree with that! A risk taking him. I'm sure that was one of the things the coaching staff were split on. Rumour is Neville wanted Townsend - in favour of who, though? Sturridge? Rashford? Or a midfielder?

take Townsend instead of barkley and then one of the 2 forwards would have been my choice. I just think things have to go very wrong for barkley to game a game with Rooney, Alli and probably Wilshire ahead of him in the number 10 role whilst if Sterling has a bad game we have no one else to play wide.
Woy Wong? on 16:57 - May 31 with 1662 viewsTheBlob

Who the f*ck cares.It's going to be your usual Woyst nightmare anyway.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Woy Wong? on 17:04 - May 31 with 1648 viewslondonscottish

"Jack Wheelchair".

Excellent :-)

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Login to get fewer ads

Woy Wong? on 17:06 - May 31 with 1643 viewsAntti_Heinola

Woy Wong? on 16:23 - May 31 by paulparker

So why is he picking Liverpool players all the time then ,

Most of them are unfit & out of form yet still get in a head of form players such as noble , Antonio , drinkwater, Townsend , Defoe

Adorable that you think Milner is a great squad player who most teams would have ,
Trust me France, Spain, Germany, Italy would go no where near a player like Milner in there squads

Wires crossed there - I said most squads would take that 'type' of player (ie: reliable, good sort, steady, has done well for country before, solid in all areas of the game, if never spectacular) - not that all squads would take him in particular. And, obviously, countries with better squads than us wouldn't take one of our fringe players - why would they? Strange thing to say.

I suspect he's picking Liverpool players because he thinks they're good players. Probably not much more to it than that, really.

Baffled by the cheerleading for Defoe by some. Hodgson has to balance between form and those players who helped us qualify with ease for this tournament despite him being such a terrible coach.

Form is important, though, I agree. I might have taken Townsend over Barkley for that reason even though technically Barkley is a much better player. Sadly, he's totally off the boil and Townsend has done ok for Newcastle.

Drinkwater didn't really take his chance v Oz, and the formation he plays for Leicester, with Kante buzzing either side of him, is not one replicated for England at the moment. But whether we take Henderson or Drinkwater won't really make a lot of difference.

Bare bones.

Woy Wong? on 17:11 - May 31 with 1628 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Goals.

Loads and loads for the first time in years.

Low ratio of cvnts for first time in years.

Semi finalists or higher I tell thee! Nurse!
[Post edited 31 May 2016 17:14]
Woy Wong? on 17:48 - May 31 with 1582 viewsstevec

Don't like Sturridge, if he was your main forward you'd never win anything, the sort you know will let you down at some crucial point, but can understand why he's picked.

He does have talent and we're not quite sure how Kane, Vardy or the United kid will perform either, that and we don't want Rooney anywhere near the front line. Hopefully, Sturridge useful as a sub.

Let's face it, he's more likely to turn a game than Townsend and the latter has gone down with some pretty sh it teams on a worryingly regular basis.
Woy Wong? on 17:48 - May 31 with 1581 viewsDorse

I am so angry about this that I am going to put my foot through the telly and send him the bill. Not because I've got my eye on a 56" curved screen hi def one. That's just coincidence.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Woy Wong? on 20:45 - May 31 with 1477 viewsBasingstokeR

I think Milner is going as he's an established player and has just finished the Premier League season as the English player with the highest assists in the league.

Milner, Alli and Barkley have the most goals and assists from midfield in our top league this year, then Drinkwater then Lallana.

Wilshere shouldn't be going as he's not managed more than a handful of 90min appearances all season.

Antonio at West Ham has a better claim on this seasons form than Townsend.

Isn't Jordan Henderson injured?
Woy Wong? on 20:54 - May 31 with 1465 viewsjohncharles

Woy Wong? on 15:51 - May 31 by CamberleyR

"Sturridge is not everyone's cuppa, but he scores goals in big games against good teams. If fit, he has to go"

The words Sturridge and fit don't belong in the same sentence. Young Daniel has clearly inherited his sick note genes from Uncle Dean.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35427212
That list is pretty damning.

It wont surprise me if either Sturridge or Wilshere or more likely both break down. I'd put money on it. When was the last time either managed to play 3 games in 9 days?

Stick a scuba on for for me.

Strong and stable my arse.

Woy Wong? on 21:07 - May 31 with 1450 viewsderbyhoop

Not sure the arguments about midfield and attack are all that relevant. England look decent going forward but as soon as they play anybody decent the defence will get taken to the cleaners and we'll be on our way home.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Woy Wong? on 23:09 - May 31 with 1220 viewsMancR

He's a crap dinosaur of a manager. You know we'll line up with milner, Henderson etc and cock it up. We are very lucky to the in form Kane, Vardy and alii. They might get us out of group stage as it is first 3!
Woy Wong? on 23:24 - May 31 with 1212 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Woy Wong? on 23:09 - May 31 by MancR

He's a crap dinosaur of a manager. You know we'll line up with milner, Henderson etc and cock it up. We are very lucky to the in form Kane, Vardy and alii. They might get us out of group stage as it is first 3!

Harsh. Milner top English assister this season. In a Liverpool side not banging the goals in.
[Post edited 31 May 2016 23:33]
Woy Wong? on 23:57 - May 31 with 1179 viewsCamberleyR

Woy Wong? on 23:09 - May 31 by MancR

It's not the top 3 in every group though, only the best four third places out of the six groups.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Woy Wong? on 00:09 - Jun 1 with 1171 viewsMancR

Milner has consistently been exposed as ordinary at international level. Better than sideways Henderson but that's not saying much.
Woy Wong? on 00:39 - Jun 1 with 1156 viewskensalriser

For those of you convined England won't get out of the group - they're favourites to win it and 7-1 to not go through. Who's having some of those odds?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Woy Wong? on 09:24 - Jun 1 with 1089 viewsElHoop

Everyone used to say this about Darren Anderton, who could hardly kick a ball in the season proper but nearly always managed to get fit for England in major tournaments and he did actually play well in those. So if Sturridge and Wilshere can manage that then I'll be happy enough. I suspect that Sturridge is ultimately going to be injured but Wilshere might come through unscathed for long enough to make a genuine impact. He's got a few egg and spoon games in which to get fit before we play somebody 'proper proper', and that's the thing - we don't have to be any good until it really matters, and there are not many teams to be frightened of at all. We have genuine firepower up front so we have a puncher's chance here. Yes the defence is poor but apart from Italy I'm not sure that we're very much worse than the rest of them at the back. Dier is a key player - if he gets injured then we're stuffed. But I'm probably with Hodgson, going back to the OP, I think that he's given us a chance to win it with his squad selection, now it's down to his final selections and the players themselves. We do have a chance.
Woy Wong? on 09:43 - Jun 1 with 1067 viewsDorse

Woy Wong? on 09:24 - Jun 1 by ElHoop

Everyone used to say this about Darren Anderton, who could hardly kick a ball in the season proper but nearly always managed to get fit for England in major tournaments and he did actually play well in those. So if Sturridge and Wilshere can manage that then I'll be happy enough. I suspect that Sturridge is ultimately going to be injured but Wilshere might come through unscathed for long enough to make a genuine impact. He's got a few egg and spoon games in which to get fit before we play somebody 'proper proper', and that's the thing - we don't have to be any good until it really matters, and there are not many teams to be frightened of at all. We have genuine firepower up front so we have a puncher's chance here. Yes the defence is poor but apart from Italy I'm not sure that we're very much worse than the rest of them at the back. Dier is a key player - if he gets injured then we're stuffed. But I'm probably with Hodgson, going back to the OP, I think that he's given us a chance to win it with his squad selection, now it's down to his final selections and the players themselves. We do have a chance.

I always judge us based on whether or not our side could beat Germany. Looking at most major tournaments, the team that wins it will have to be better than the German side. This year, I think we'd struggle mainly because our defence is suspect. Cahill isn't up to much (especially marking set pieces), Smalling is decent in patches but doesn't really convince me (gets caught out of position especially under the high ball) and Stones is a bit flaky. The full backs, however, are better with a whole lot more pace. The key to it is going to be Dier or Henderson in the holding role. Right now, I'd go for Dier: tidy and effective in breaking up play with enough pace to force opposition players to hurry.

I apologise for discussing football. I will resume knob gags immediately.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Woy Wong? on 09:53 - Jun 1 with 1055 viewsdaveB

Redknapp was on Sky last night saying he wouldn't swap our squad with anyone else. I'd swap it with France, Belgium, Germany and Spain for starters
Woy Wong? on 10:25 - Jun 1 with 1027 viewswrinklyhoop

Woy Wong? on 15:38 - May 31 by daveB

He should be more like his rough tough Uncle who played through the pain barrier for us

Yeah the similarities to Uncle Dean get more and more striking. Bad call Woy
Woy Wong? on 11:20 - Jun 1 with 1002 viewstraininvain

People wanted a younger squad. Fact of the matter is that we don't have the players.

Does anyone honestly believe that taking Townsend instead of Sturridge will make much of a difference?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024