Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woy Wong? 14:13 - May 31 with 10321 viewsLblock

I'd sooner take Andros T than Sick Note Sturridge.

In fact I'd sooner take anyone than Sicknote!!!

Oh well

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Woy Wong? on 21:54 - Jun 2 with 1410 viewsLblock

Good pwepperation game says Woy

We played good football second half?!?!

Christ rides a rusty bike!!!! Nurse! Nurse!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Woy Wong? on 21:54 - Jun 2 with 1410 viewsHunterhoop

Woy Wong? on 20:41 - Jun 2 by BazzaInTheLoft

I'm Roy and England's biggest cheerleader, by I haven't got fvcking scooby what's going on here.

Yep...been trying to be positive. Think if we play the right shape and don't just try to shoehorn his best 11 into the team, we could be dangerous.

But...Christ alive, that was sh*te. The players didn't have a clue where to be, what runs to make and where their colleagues would be and what they'd do.

They looked like strangers.
Woy Wong? on 22:04 - Jun 2 with 1385 viewsted_hendrix

Exciting times await us all Higgingbottom;
This deed, for thine especial safety–
Which we do tender as we dearly grieve
For that which thou hast done–must send thine meat and potato pie hence forth
With fiery quickness. Therefore prepare to set sail for the land of frogs and onions Higgingbottom
The bark is ready and the wind at help,
The associates tend, and everything is bent for England and the middle lane of the M4.
Hurrah.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Woy Wong? on 07:28 - Jun 3 with 1280 viewsElHoop

It's phoney war time. Players tired after a long season and not wanting to get injured. Who can blame them for not being 100% right now? It was a meaningless game and nobody got injured and that's all I'm taking out of it.
Woy Wong? on 09:12 - Jun 3 with 1224 viewsCamberleyR

Sorry, I don't buy into the "tired after long season" argument. The England squad won't be the only ones to have played a league/domestic cups/champions league programme.

It's just a convenient excuse.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Woy Wong? on 09:44 - Jun 3 with 1216 viewspaulparker

Woy Wong? on 09:12 - Jun 3 by CamberleyR

Sorry, I don't buy into the "tired after long season" argument. The England squad won't be the only ones to have played a league/domestic cups/champions league programme.

Especially when the likes of Wiltshire, Sturridge & Henderson have hardly played all season , if it was about minutes & fitness why didn't Roy play them for 60 minutes,
Hodgson is the only manager to have the attacking options he does but plays them wide to get Rooney into the team, he also isolated Deli Ali who was getting frustrated because he isn't used to playing on the left
I don't think hodgson knows his best team which is comical considering he has had 4 years now , also he doesn't know how to get the best from vardy , he looked liked Andy Johnson last night as he was forced to play wing back
as for Milner where was he supposed to be playing ? what is the point of taking milner
he cant pass , shoot, dribble or even take a decent set piece
we have the best youngsters with the best attacking players going but we will fail because we have a dinosaur of a manger who is well past his sell by date

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Woy Wong? on 09:57 - Jun 3 with 1202 viewsTheChef

Woy Wong? on 21:54 - Jun 2 by Hunterhoop

Yep...been trying to be positive. Think if we play the right shape and don't just try to shoehorn his best 11 into the team, we could be dangerous.

But...Christ alive, that was sh*te. The players didn't have a clue where to be, what runs to make and where their colleagues would be and what they'd do.

They looked like strangers.

I thought that too - playing against ten men they didn't seem to have a clear idea how to break them down. Final balls into the box were pretty poor until the cross for the goal.

Problem is that they just don't get enough time to train together, and once again we're going into a tournament without a clear idea of our starting xi or formation.

I really hope this is Hodgson's last tournament as manager (or 'Roy' as the media insist on calling him - didn't know they were all so matey with him).

Bottom line is that these days international football is very much down the pecking order behind the riches of the Prem and Champions League, and we shouldn't really invest so much in it emotionally. Expectations are ramped up by the media largely because of all the sponsorship and money to be made in retail etc. just because England are in a major tournament.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Woy Wong? on 10:03 - Jun 3 with 1190 viewsElHoop

Woy Wong? on 09:12 - Jun 3 by CamberleyR

An excuse for what? We won the game. We won all three warm up games. We won all ten qualifying games.
Login to get fewer ads

Woy Wong? on 10:33 - Jun 3 with 1152 viewsElHoop

Anyhow he's apparently not as Wong as the Mail's 2007 prediction for our starting XI next week:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CkA3C8-WEAAZc-c.jpg:large
Woy Wong? on 10:43 - Jun 3 with 1141 viewstraininvain

Wilshere was the best player on the pitch last night. I think he's worth the risk.
Woy Wong? on 10:51 - Jun 3 with 1132 viewsElHoop

Woy Wong? on 10:43 - Jun 3 by traininvain

Wilshere was the best player on the pitch last night. I think he's worth the risk.

Yeah I really rated Wilshere a few years back - was sure then that he would be England captain by now, just shows you. If he can get fit and stay fit then I think he can do well, but it's a big if.
Woy Wong? on 12:02 - Jun 3 with 1094 viewsadhoc_qpr

I'm more and more convinced that the Germany performance was a consequence of having a team of Pochettino trained players playing their club game and nothing to do with Roy!

The lack of width in the squad is shocking - Sterling is the only winger!

And taking 5 strikers isn't 'bold' when you've left yourself with limited options throughout the team but will have Rashford, Vardy and Sturridge all competing for the one striking sub role...
Woy Wong? on 12:18 - Jun 3 with 1077 viewstraininvain

Woy Wong? on 12:02 - Jun 3 by adhoc_qpr

I'm more and more convinced that the Germany performance was a consequence of having a team of Pochettino trained players playing their club game and nothing to do with Roy!

The lack of width in the squad is shocking - Sterling is the only winger!

And taking 5 strikers isn't 'bold' when you've left yourself with limited options throughout the team but will have Rashford, Vardy and Sturridge all competing for the one striking sub role...

The performance against Germany has been totally blown out of proportion.

Germany replaced Hummels at half time with a centre back who hasn't even made their Euro 2016 squad.

It was a makeshift defence and not to mention that Germany have lost plenty of games since the World Cup but I would wager that they will turn up once the tournament kicks off.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 12:19]
Woy Wong? on 12:22 - Jun 3 with 1070 viewsAntti_Heinola

One thing I've learned from watching Eng;and for decades - don't take the blindest bit of notice of warm up games, and don't get too carried away / het up about the first game of the tournament either.

In 96, Shearer was under enormous pressure from fans with no England goal in 12 - even with lots of calls for him to be dropped. Sheringham also copped a fair bit of stick. People didn't like Neville. Loads of people had given up on Gazza. Even in 1990 most people forget that Bobby Robson was being ridiculed before the tournament, stories abounded that he didn't know what he was doing and the players forced him to change to a sweeper system, they were crucified for only drawing with the Republic, they only just squeezed past Egypt, should have lost to Belgium but for a goal incorrectly ruled out and in truth were often second best v Cameroon. Before being superb v Germany. Same in 86, pretty much - two dreadful opening games.

Let's see what happens.

Bare bones.

Woy Wong? on 12:31 - Jun 3 with 1049 viewskensalriser

Having looked at the recent games we've played against teams of the sort of quality we're likely to meet beyond the group stage - Portugal, Germany, Spain, France, Netherlands - we've won three and lost two, which leads me to our performing on par this tournament, which would be reaching the quarters.

England haven't had a decent manager since Venables and haven't had a good tournament for 20 years, so I really don't understand where all this grinding negativity comes from. Maybe some are just stuck in that mindset from following QPR.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Woy Wong? on 12:44 - Jun 3 with 1022 viewsdanehoop

Woy Wong? on 12:31 - Jun 3 by kensalriser

Having looked at the recent games we've played against teams of the sort of quality we're likely to meet beyond the group stage - Portugal, Germany, Spain, France, Netherlands - we've won three and lost two, which leads me to our performing on par this tournament, which would be reaching the quarters.

England haven't had a decent manager since Venables and haven't had a good tournament for 20 years, so I really don't understand where all this grinding negativity comes from. Maybe some are just stuck in that mindset from following QPR.

Just picked up N.Ireland in the office draw. They are Leicester City of the Euros.

Never knowingly understood

Woy Wong? on 12:45 - Jun 3 with 1022 viewssimmo

I think this game showed as much as any other, that we fall down when we try to shoe horn players and accomodate names. Rooney, even at the tip of a midfield, just doesn't work. Poor Vardy, amazing for club and country but immediately shunted to accomodate Rooney.

Let's wait and see what happens in the tournament but I hope we finally go for team over names....

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Woy Wong? on 13:12 - Jun 3 with 980 viewsadhoc_qpr

Woy Wong? on 12:18 - Jun 3 by traininvain

The performance against Germany has been totally blown out of proportion.

Germany replaced Hummels at half time with a centre back who hasn't even made their Euro 2016 squad.

It was a makeshift defence and not to mention that Germany have lost plenty of games since the World Cup but I would wager that they will turn up once the tournament kicks off.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 12:19]

I agree it was an under strength Germany team who took their foot off the gas in the second half and shouldn't be overblown as a result.

BUT the manner of the performance by England was a genuine pleasure to watch, relentless closing as a team, quick incisive passing and movement and plenty of chances created.

Even when Rooney et al are rattling up goals against San Marino etc in qualifiers we weren't playing that type of game - it was slow and tortured.

I think we have some players now (Kane, Alli, Sturridge, Vardy, Rose etc) who can be fun to watch and if unleashed will cause teams problems. Doesn't mean the better teams won't absorb it and pick off our poor defence - but i'd rather go out swinging.
Woy Wong? on 13:19 - Jun 3 with 967 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Woy Wong? on 12:45 - Jun 3 by simmo

I think this game showed as much as any other, that we fall down when we try to shoe horn players and accomodate names. Rooney, even at the tip of a midfield, just doesn't work. Poor Vardy, amazing for club and country but immediately shunted to accomodate Rooney.

Let's wait and see what happens in the tournament but I hope we finally go for team over names....

Indeed fella, its always the key which seems to allude England managers; play in-form players in their best positions.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Woy Wong? on 13:26 - Jun 3 with 962 viewsjohncharles

Woy Wong? on 20:24 - Jun 2 by danehoop

milner - why?

Because UEFA rankings put him fifth best player in the Euro's. Above Kroos, Bale and Pogba.

Strong and stable my arse.

Woy Wong? on 13:37 - Jun 3 with 952 viewsDaiHo0p

I think we can easily get a nil nil out of England, beat Slovakia and lose to Russia - and thru
Woy Wong? on 13:59 - Jun 3 with 934 viewsFredManRave

Woy Wong? on 12:45 - Jun 3 by simmo

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36441260

England's warm-up matches before Euro 2016 are complete - but manager Roy Hodgson was left with as many questions as answers after a narrow win over Portugal at Wembley.

Hodgson's full strategy will only be revealed when he names his line-up for the opening fixture against Russia in Marseille on 11 June and he will be pleased England's players emerged unscathed from their final warm-up game on Thursday.

There was no clear evidence, however, that Hodgson has yet put a winning game plan in place.

So what are the key questions Hodgson must answer as he puts the finishing touches to his game plans for Euro 2016?

Is Rooney causing muddled thinking?

Jump media playerMedia player helpOut of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.
Roy Hodgson says England not the finished article
Wayne Rooney's presence in England's team has been a constant narrative for the past two years - and his role in the side at Wembley seemed to cause their main weapons to be disarmed.

Rooney was being used as the central figure, albeit lying deep, in an attacking triumvirate with Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy.

Kane and Vardy scored 49 Premier League goals between them for Tottenham and champions Leicester City but it is hard to see how they could have a serious impact on Euro 2016 employed as they were against Portugal.

Once again Rooney is central to the debate, still a figure of such influence and one Hodgson is determined to shoehorn into his England team

Rooney appeared to be deputed at the tip of a diamond when the teamsheet dropped but as he drove through the middle, Vardy and Kane were pushed wider and wider to the point where they could have taken a seat in the stands.

If they line up together in France, England's opponents will be delighted to see them occupying positions where much of their threat is nullified and their presence marginalised. They are not wingers, never will be and Hodgson is wasting them in those roles.

Vardy made eight passes and did not have a serious threat on goal, but it was the system rather than the player himself who was to blame. Kane's only reward for his unfamiliar wide role was when he was almost decapitated by the challenge for which Bruno Alves was sent off.

Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane
Kane and Vardy have proved they can adapt to international football in their short careers and Hodgson will be squandering a big opportunity if he does not play them closer together and more centrally located. They were strangers at Wembley.

As for the idea of Kane, England's main striker, taking corners and free-kicks out wide, it is to be hoped that is put in the dustbin reserved for flawed experiments.

And what about Dele Alli? The 20-year-old Tottenham player was shifted to the left of midfield to ensure Rooney was accommodated centrally and, like Kane and Vardy, had all his best attributes removed by a role unsuited to his talents.

Dele Alli
Alli struggled against Portugal
Alli was outstanding playing a progressive central role when England beat world champions Germany in the recent friendly in Berlin, but he disappeared down the same hole as Kane and Vardy at Wembley, where England struggled to beat 10-man Portugal, who had Alves dismissed after 35 minutes and were without the rested Cristiano Ronaldo.

Hodgson has fine attacking players at his disposal. He must now find the system, unless this was merely late experimentation, to suit them.

There is of course, another option, which would be to drop Vardy, play Rooney as a striker alongside Kane and restore Alli to the number 10 role - but that would be harsh on a striker flying high on confidence.

Once again, Rooney is central to the debate - still a figure of such influence and one Hodgson is determined to shoehorn into his England team.

England kept their first clean sheet since November
There was not much to test England's unconvincing defence here, but there were still one or two anxious moments from set-pieces against a Portugal side devoid of ambition without their superstar, Ronaldo, and operating at a numerical disadvantage for 55 minutes.

Kyle Walker's man-of-the-match performance pushed his claims for a starting place ahead of Nathaniel Clyne for England's Euro 2016 opener against Russia, while the selection of goalscorer Chris Smalling and Gary Cahill in the centre of defence and Danny Rose at left-back suggests they will be the preferred options in Marseille.

If Hodgson persists with Kane, Vardy and Rooney, it will be up to Walker and Rose to provide most, if not all, of the natural width. It is a role they can fulfil but the serious test will come when they are pressed defensively.

It will apply to all of England's back four and there remains an air of vulnerability that may well be exposed against elite opposition in France.

Are England in good shape?

It is worth placing this game in context. England were playing their final game before a major tournament, against a side above them in the Fifa rankings. This was never going to be a no-holds-barred physical encounter as there was too much at risk for both sides.

Hodgson has shown ambition with his attacking selections and the inclusion of 18-year-old Manchester United prodigy Marcus Rashford in the squad, but he now has to find a system that does not put square pegs into round holes, as this selection appeared to do.

England have options in the forward positions - Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge is also available - and the defence looks to be picking itself, however unpalatable the selection in that area might be.

Hodgson will hope that defence exceeds low expectations and he can then devise a formula to utilise England's strongest assets.

There remains plenty of work to do behind closed doors at England's training base in Chantilly after they arrive in France.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2016 14:00]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Woy Wong? on 14:00 - Jun 3 with 931 viewsadhoc_qpr

Woy Wong? on 13:37 - Jun 3 by DaiHo0p

I think we can easily get a nil nil out of England, beat Slovakia and lose to Russia - and thru

Only one real match winner across the England and Wales squads and that is Bale!

I think Wales could beat England in a tight game.
Woy Wong? on 14:12 - Jun 3 with 924 viewsTheBlob

Have just bought a new tv especially for the occasion(like in 1996) so it doesn't augur well.
Knowing England's predeliction for rickets,HD will be able to show the hairs inside Joe Hart's nose waving like seaweed in a strong current as he palms the ball into his own net for the only goal of the game.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Woy Wong? on 15:56 - Jun 3 with 847 viewsCamberleyR

Woy Wong? on 10:03 - Jun 3 by ElHoop

An excuse for what? We won the game. We won all three warm up games. We won all ten qualifying games.

An excuse for when we inevitably don't live up to expectations in another finals tournament.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024