Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Other transfer thread 16:42 - Jun 30 with 24399 viewssimmo

Rotherham signed Anthony Forde from Walsall - good signing IMO, he's a decent winger and one of 3-4 in that Walsall team I reckon could make the step up.

Also Townsend apparently having a medical at Palace - £13m.... Newcastle did well there.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Other transfer thread on 13:47 - Aug 29 with 1949 viewsTacticalR

Other transfer thread on 12:03 - Aug 29 by Northernr

I used to prefer the Championship in many ways, but it's becoming infested in the same way as the Premier League. Teams scared to lose = tight, dull, drab matches where a draw is always seen as a good result. Stupid money spent on very average players. Fawning over a couple of big clubs. Games repeatedly moved to weird and wonderful kick off times.

Looks like the gentrification of football is overspilling into less fashionable neighbourhoods.

Air hostess clique

Other transfer thread on 13:47 - Aug 29 with 1942 viewsdistortR

I used to prefer the Championship in many ways, but it's becoming infested in the same way as the Premier League. Teams scared to lose = tight, dull, drab matches where a draw is always seen as a good result. Stupid money spent on very average players. Fawning over a couple of big clubs. Games repeatedly moved to weird and wonderful kick off times.

Was having this conversation with a friend yesterday re: defensive, athletic teams whose main ambition is not to lose. Combined with a shite national team and the disconnect between fans and clubs/players, can see attendances falling.
Other transfer thread on 15:11 - Aug 29 with 1870 viewskensalriser

People have been talking about attendances falling for years but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Other transfer thread on 15:42 - Aug 29 with 1829 viewswestberksr

The championship is now EPL2, a few money bag clubs with parachute money and the desperate need to get back to the promised land, a few more with deep pockets trying to replace them at the top table & everybody else looking to avoid dropping to Tuesday nights away to Bolton.

All a bit shit really & makes me quite happy I sacked off sky sports and BT sport's last year.

£5m for that lump from Ipswich; ffs!
Other transfer thread on 17:51 - Aug 29 with 1746 viewsWatford_Ranger

Can I interest you in highlights of West Brom v Middlesbrough on Sky Sports right now from the best league in the world?
Other transfer thread on 20:23 - Aug 29 with 1654 viewspaulparker

Chelsea are paying 24 million yes 24 million for a Bolton and Sunderland reject this sums up everything that is wrong with the game in this country
Surely to god they have a better option in the youth team

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Other transfer thread on 21:04 - Aug 29 with 1605 viewsrsonist

Other transfer thread on 20:23 - Aug 29 by paulparker

Chelsea are paying 24 million yes 24 million for a Bolton and Sunderland reject this sums up everything that is wrong with the game in this country
Surely to god they have a better option in the youth team

You seem to be going out of your way to paint things in a sensationally negative light. Alonso was never too shabby while in England, and he's really come on since. Is a player fulfilling his potential abroad and coming back really "everything wrong with the game in this county"....?

What was worse was when they were able to sign an elite left back in Filipe Luis for £16m just to keep on the bench, because they knew they could sell a reserve in Bertrand for £10m.
Other transfer thread on 21:05 - Aug 29 with 1600 viewsted_hendrix

Other transfer thread on 17:51 - Aug 29 by Watford_Ranger

Can I interest you in highlights of West Brom v Middlesbrough on Sky Sports right now from the best league in the world?

No thanks.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Other transfer thread on 21:33 - Aug 29 with 1569 viewsQPR_Jim

Other transfer thread on 10:09 - Aug 29 by paulparker

I know what you mean North , I can't even be bothered watching any football at the moment, apart from our game against Leeds & Preston I've not watched a full 90 minutes of football
How can you get excited about a league where clubs sign foreign players for vast amounts of money , where the owners are foriegn and the mangers are foreign , as for the champions league leave me out , I've watched 10 minutes of it in 2 years
Our league is no better Newcastle are signing everyone putting all prices up , wolves are signing half the Portuguese league , villa are signing average players for millions as are sheff wed
The football we are serving up is boring but I suppose at least we are not paying inflated prices for players anymore

You've managed to mention foreign twice in your post and for me that completely misses the point, although admittedly you may feel different.

But if you think about it Ecclestone is English, didn't make him a good owner or a positive influence on British football, it took TF to influence a policy to play youth players and the foreign owners at Leicester have managed to stick one to the big boys who have tried to turn the premiership into a monopoly.

Also I'd take a foreign player like Faurlin over a British player like Barton, a hard worker like Luongo is probably more deserving than a more arrogant player like ravel Morrison for example.

So for me nationality doesn't really come into it, money is what's damaging football. If abramovich was British it wouldn't make the way Chelsea spend money a good thing. There's plenty of damage in the way we throw money at youth players so they're millionaires before achieving anything, that is more harmful than foreign players.
Other transfer thread on 22:10 - Aug 29 with 1517 viewsdistortR

Other transfer thread on 21:33 - Aug 29 by QPR_Jim

You've managed to mention foreign twice in your post and for me that completely misses the point, although admittedly you may feel different.

But if you think about it Ecclestone is English, didn't make him a good owner or a positive influence on British football, it took TF to influence a policy to play youth players and the foreign owners at Leicester have managed to stick one to the big boys who have tried to turn the premiership into a monopoly.

Also I'd take a foreign player like Faurlin over a British player like Barton, a hard worker like Luongo is probably more deserving than a more arrogant player like ravel Morrison for example.

So for me nationality doesn't really come into it, money is what's damaging football. If abramovich was British it wouldn't make the way Chelsea spend money a good thing. There's plenty of damage in the way we throw money at youth players so they're millionaires before achieving anything, that is more harmful than foreign players.

i'd prefer to see English youngsters making the grade, preferably local kids who know and support the club.And i'd like to see them being trained to a higher standard and educated as to their expectations. And I'd like to see English managers make a better fist of it. Quite happy with the ratio of english/foreign players at rangers at the moment, but would feel uncomfortable watching a team with just one or two english players. All adds to the disconnect imho.
Other transfer thread on 22:39 - Aug 29 with 1473 viewskarl

Other transfer thread on 22:10 - Aug 29 by distortR

i'd prefer to see English youngsters making the grade, preferably local kids who know and support the club.And i'd like to see them being trained to a higher standard and educated as to their expectations. And I'd like to see English managers make a better fist of it. Quite happy with the ratio of english/foreign players at rangers at the moment, but would feel uncomfortable watching a team with just one or two english players. All adds to the disconnect imho.

I agree with that (doesn't happen very often!). To separate it the Hibs team that won the Scottish Cup had a back 4 and Centre forward born in Edinburgh while in total 9 of the team were Scottish born and to me it does make a difference.
We all love our mavericks and it doesn't matter where anybody comes from really but there definitely is a connect with a squad that relates to the support imo
Other transfer thread on 23:28 - Aug 29 with 1420 viewsQPR_Jim

I did say that PP might see it differently, as you do and I can appreciate the logic in what you've said.

I just think nationality doesn't determine whether you have a connection was player or not, Faulin was far more popular than Barton because he was more relatable and showed more of the qualities we'd like to see in our players despite being Argentinian.

Our current policy towards youth players and more British first team has been implemented under a foreign owner. To me that shows the nationality of the owner isn't the issue it's more their intentions and reasons for buying. It is therefore a failure of the fit and proper person rule if someone with no interest in football let alone a specific club is allowed to buy them for promotional purposes.

Anyway I guess we all see it differently but for me the problems are deeper within the FA's approach to football, money being at the core of the problem. From young players who've never played a professional game being worth millions and paid more than the average man, players like SWP being able to steal a living sitting on a bench for 3 years being paid handsomely and owners who buy clubs to boost their profile. Those things all seem exclusive of nationality to me.
Other transfer thread on 09:03 - Aug 30 with 1323 viewsdistortR

Other transfer thread on 23:28 - Aug 29 by QPR_Jim

I did say that PP might see it differently, as you do and I can appreciate the logic in what you've said.

I just think nationality doesn't determine whether you have a connection was player or not, Faulin was far more popular than Barton because he was more relatable and showed more of the qualities we'd like to see in our players despite being Argentinian.

Our current policy towards youth players and more British first team has been implemented under a foreign owner. To me that shows the nationality of the owner isn't the issue it's more their intentions and reasons for buying. It is therefore a failure of the fit and proper person rule if someone with no interest in football let alone a specific club is allowed to buy them for promotional purposes.

Anyway I guess we all see it differently but for me the problems are deeper within the FA's approach to football, money being at the core of the problem. From young players who've never played a professional game being worth millions and paid more than the average man, players like SWP being able to steal a living sitting on a bench for 3 years being paid handsomely and owners who buy clubs to boost their profile. Those things all seem exclusive of nationality to me.

On an individual basis you're right, your Ale v Barton example being indisputable. I think when a team is full of over-seas players, then you get a disconnect with the team as a whole.
I agree with everything you've said in your last post though, money is the root to most of football's problems, which is why i've studiously avoided the stuff and not because, as my wife would have it,i'm a bit crap.

Re Karl's post about Hibs being full of Scottish players, well, ironically that's my main problem with them......

But I can understand the pride that would give you in their achievements.
Other transfer thread on 09:27 - Aug 30 with 1304 viewsted_hendrix

VILLA TRY FOR HERNANDEZ

They have already spent £12m to sign Ross McCormack, but we understand Aston Villa have launched a £20m bid for Hull striker Abel Hernandez.

Christ all bloody mighty.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Other transfer thread on 10:15 - Aug 30 with 1254 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

Other transfer thread on 09:27 - Aug 30 by ted_hendrix

VILLA TRY FOR HERNANDEZ

They have already spent £12m to sign Ross McCormack, but we understand Aston Villa have launched a £20m bid for Hull striker Abel Hernandez.

Not going to happen according to my villa mate, apparently he wants £100k a week! They might go for Kodjia from Bristol City instead... for £15 mil!
Other transfer thread on 10:19 - Aug 30 with 1243 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This Championship summer is like no other, is it?

The money's really gone beyond reason. Hugely relieved that we're being well run while others are spending the money that they hope will come their way.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Other transfer thread on 10:28 - Aug 30 with 1231 viewspaulparker

Other transfer thread on 23:28 - Aug 29 by QPR_Jim

a player could come from Mars for all I care Jim , as long as he gives a 100% to QPR then that's all you can ask, a player like Faurlin is a dying breed where he embraces the culture of the country , the club , and would die for the shirt

the point I was making earlier is that the Prem League isn't the best league it isn't even the most exciting, its football that has eaten itself , can you really get behind a club that has average players who are multi millionaires ? clubs who don't promote youth players
who would rather buy a French or Belgium wonder kid then play there own
you have stupid kick off times , trips to Asia and Australia so that they can sell shirts
you have a great little player in Rashford the next star who cant get a game because his manager would rather play a 34 year old has been
you have Chelsea who are buying a fullback who flopped at Bolton and Sunderland for 24 million rather than play one of the youngsters they have
even Liverpool have sold most of there English players to buy foreign talent
look at our own Charlie Austin a cracking striker a 20 goal a season man struggling to get in sotons squad
you have young players like Chambers, Loftus Cheek, Rashford, Baker, Solanke, phil jones ,ojo, Galloway , ox, who should all be playing first team football but cant because clubs would rather sign another average foreign player for 25 million than play them
but because they are millionaires why should they care its all wrong
how can the England team progress , why should anyone care ?
don't worry though we have Pep, Jose, Conte, Klopp , Billic,
the prem is like the Harlem globetrotters now its not even a sport I recognise and that is now including the championship which is morphing into a prem 2
im just glad that QPR are at least getting back to something like I first followed

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Other transfer thread on 10:29 - Aug 30 with 1226 viewsaston_hoop

Other transfer thread on 09:27 - Aug 30 by ted_hendrix

VILLA TRY FOR HERNANDEZ

Its OK because Hull have a replacement lined up

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37217074

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Other transfer thread on 10:33 - Aug 30 with 1215 viewsadhoc_qpr

I actually think a lot of English kids will now be getting chances because of the stupid transfer prices this summer forcing clubs hands.

Obviously not at all clubs, but look at Sunderland in the prem who can't afford the crazy prices and have started games with 4 or 5 youth team players and even more on the bench.

When one average player now costs £15m+ midtable clubs can't afford to fill up their squads with average foreign talent and will have to use youth to fill those gaps.
Other transfer thread on 11:39 - Aug 30 with 1137 viewsdistortR

Other transfer thread on 10:33 - Aug 30 by adhoc_qpr

I actually think a lot of English kids will now be getting chances because of the stupid transfer prices this summer forcing clubs hands.

Obviously not at all clubs, but look at Sunderland in the prem who can't afford the crazy prices and have started games with 4 or 5 youth team players and even more on the bench.

When one average player now costs £15m+ midtable clubs can't afford to fill up their squads with average foreign talent and will have to use youth to fill those gaps.

Hopefully mate, but looking around at some of the done and some of the mooted deals, i'm not so sure...

another problem is the likes of chelsea stockpiling promising young talent with no intention of playing them.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 11:40]
Other transfer thread on 11:43 - Aug 30 with 1123 viewsdistortR

And ipswich sign leon best. I think it was Northern who said that football is a hard career to fall out of once you've had a start.
Other transfer thread on 12:15 - Aug 30 with 1054 viewsPinnerPaul

Other transfer thread on 11:39 - Aug 30 by distortR

Hopefully mate, but looking around at some of the done and some of the mooted deals, i'm not so sure...

another problem is the likes of chelsea stockpiling promising young talent with no intention of playing them.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2016 11:40]

The "promising young talent" DO have a choice.

Hopefully, they (inc parents) will eventually see that joining the top PL clubs academies is a road to no where and they will choose the "smaller" clubs - like us!
Other transfer thread on 12:18 - Aug 30 with 1041 viewsdistortR

Other transfer thread on 12:15 - Aug 30 by PinnerPaul

The "promising young talent" DO have a choice.

Hopefully, they (inc parents) will eventually see that joining the top PL clubs academies is a road to no where and they will choose the "smaller" clubs - like us!

But......but.......i thought that we are a MASSIVE club?
Other transfer thread on 15:17 - Aug 30 with 944 viewsrsonist

Agree with you all that the money has become disgusting but I won't be completely dispirited until the competition itself suffers for it. I don't think there is a glass ceiling in this league yet, unless you're maybe Rotherham - and even then look at what Huddersfield are doing.

Funniest thing is that I'm not even particularly envious of 99% of the signings rivals are making - much happier with ours. The one I'm most sore about is Grant Ward and ironically his fee was totally reasonable.
Other transfer thread on 15:55 - Aug 30 with 862 viewsadhoc_qpr

Other transfer thread on 15:17 - Aug 30 by rsonist

Agree with you all that the money has become disgusting but I won't be completely dispirited until the competition itself suffers for it. I don't think there is a glass ceiling in this league yet, unless you're maybe Rotherham - and even then look at what Huddersfield are doing.

Funniest thing is that I'm not even particularly envious of 99% of the signings rivals are making - much happier with ours. The one I'm most sore about is Grant Ward and ironically his fee was totally reasonable.

Agree that very few of the big money signings by Villa, Newcastle, Debry etc look like good value to me.

Although some are clearly good players, you have to question the motivation of those dropping down a level.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024