Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sam Allardyce 18:13 - Jul 20 with 14566 viewseghamranger

Aren't we the lucky ones..... 😡

Worse than woy!!
Sam Allardyce on 10:41 - Jul 21 with 1849 viewspaulparker

Sam Allardyce on 10:20 - Jul 21 by MedwayR

I'm willing to give him a chance & see how he does, I have very low expectations though. I suspect we'll have 2 tournaments with him and then appoint Howe.

What Big Sam's appointment illustrates to me is that the FA aren't learning and I suspect that the search for a new manager didn't go much further than David Gill ringing Alex Ferguson and asking what he thinks, no doubt he'd have recommended his old mate Allardyce and his former captain Steve Bruce.

It must be inspirational for our next generation to play for Aidy Boothroyd at U19's, Gareth Southgate at U21's and Sam Allardyce in the senior team.

It must be inspirational for our next generation to play for Aidy Boothroyd at U19's, Gareth Southgate at U21's and Sam Allardyce in the senior team.

the same under19s who have beaten france,Holland & Croatia and are in the semi final against Italy

also didn't the under 20's win the Toulon tournament under southgate without losing any games

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sam Allardyce on 10:50 - Jul 21 with 1835 viewsadhoc_qpr

I thought he did an impressive job at Sunderland and will do fine for England i.e. qualifying easily then going out in the knock out stage/QF of the World Cup depending on when we first play an in-form or quality side..

My wife's a Mackem and they've been a shambles for the last 3 years, but Allardyce actually had them organised, playing like a team with a plan and they weren't bad to watch either with Borini, Defoe, Khazri, Watmore etc playing.

I can't see England under Big Sam putting in a performance as hopeless as the Iceland game - but i never underestimate the England teams ability to sink further in my opinion either...
Sam Allardyce on 10:57 - Jul 21 with 1825 viewsMedwayR

Sam Allardyce on 10:41 - Jul 21 by paulparker

the same under19s who have beaten france,Holland & Croatia and are in the semi final against Italy

also didn't the under 20's win the Toulon tournament under southgate without losing any games

Stuart Pearce took the U21's to a final and semi-final, it doesn't mean a lot. The point is how much do the players learn from Boothroyd & Southgate, not a lot I'd imagine given their respective coaching/managerial records.

Obviously our problems are bigger than who coaches the U19's or U21's, especially when the 3 man panel for selecting the next manager includes a bloke who confessed to not being a football expert!! I guess I see Boothroyd & Southgate as symbols of the lack of imagination and initiative from the FA. When we beat Germany 5-1 they took a serious look at themselves and started again involving the clubs in the process, we lose to Iceland and all we do is appoint Big Sam without taking a look at the bigger picture.

Poll: Who’s better?

Sam Allardyce on 11:02 - Jul 21 with 1809 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sam Allardyce on 00:50 - Jul 21 by SydneyRs

The thing for me is that, while I am not exactly thrilled and excited by this, what are the alternatives? Dyche has been mentioned, but is he any better than Allardyce? Won a couple of promotions, been relegated, creates good team spirit and organised teams. Seems quite similar in a lot of ways.

Pointing to his win record is misleading, as he's never managed any of the stronger clubs. What he does seem to do is build a strong dressing room and get the best out of players, both things England are crying out for.

There's enough talent in that squad to be doing a lot better. The tournament that just finished was won by a bang average team. If they can do it, then a properly motivated and organised England team could too.

He's never managed a bigger club *because* of his win percentage. That's how it works.
Allardyce has had a lifetime in the game and never won anything as a manager. Even Steve Bruce and Steve McClaren have achieved more than him in terms of finals etc. Hodgson certainly achieved miles more than he has. Fulham are not a big club are they, but he took them to the UEFA Cup final!

But then Chris Coleman was an appalling manager everywhere he went, had a terrible start as Wales boss, but took them to the semis, so who knows? I can't bear Allardyce or his crappy football, but the constant guff about 'elite' coaches is just as much nonsense. When Guardiola is being called a fraud in some quarters you start wondering just who exactly is 'good enough' to be a manager of a big side or country.

Allardyce is as uninspiring as Redknapp would have been. But when he fails we'll have the same old debate again no doubt.

I actually would have appointed Morten Olsen. Been an international manager for years. Got the best out of a ropey group of Danes. Speaks the language.

Bare bones.

Sam Allardyce on 11:04 - Jul 21 with 1806 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sam Allardyce on 09:41 - Jul 21 by paulparker

He Should have got the job after the last world cup , im happy with this appointment
we may have an actual formation and a style of play for the 1st time in 4 years and he may pick players who are shock horror in form or not injured
all of this guff about sam being a long ball merchant is laughable if we have to play it long so what , it worked for Leicester last year and at times man utd under fergie would get it long to wide areas , in this country we play with wingers and always have so why not go back to that, the last few tournaments have seen us pass sideways, then back, then sideways again before we run out of ideas in the final third its been boring and garbage to watch
sam is also an impact manager and that's what you need in international football as you don't have enough time with the players , he can organise quickly and make good subs, he will also build from the back which is where we are lacking at the moment and make us hard to beat
finally we may have a manager who drops the likes of Wiltshire, Sturridge, Milner & Hart , who are useless and not interested in playing for England , if we have to play Carroll , Albrighton, Shawcross , Forster , Noble so be it at least they wont go into hiding when the going gets tough

I'll just file this away for exactly two years I think.

Bare bones.

Sam Allardyce on 11:34 - Jul 21 with 1754 viewsWilloW4

Sam Allardyce on 11:02 - Jul 21 by Antti_Heinola

He's never managed a bigger club *because* of his win percentage. That's how it works.
Allardyce has had a lifetime in the game and never won anything as a manager. Even Steve Bruce and Steve McClaren have achieved more than him in terms of finals etc. Hodgson certainly achieved miles more than he has. Fulham are not a big club are they, but he took them to the UEFA Cup final!

But then Chris Coleman was an appalling manager everywhere he went, had a terrible start as Wales boss, but took them to the semis, so who knows? I can't bear Allardyce or his crappy football, but the constant guff about 'elite' coaches is just as much nonsense. When Guardiola is being called a fraud in some quarters you start wondering just who exactly is 'good enough' to be a manager of a big side or country.

Allardyce is as uninspiring as Redknapp would have been. But when he fails we'll have the same old debate again no doubt.

I actually would have appointed Morten Olsen. Been an international manager for years. Got the best out of a ropey group of Danes. Speaks the language.

According to the BBC sport website he won the league as a manager with Notts county.
Sam Allardyce on 11:50 - Jul 21 with 1730 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sam Allardyce on 11:34 - Jul 21 by WilloW4

According to the BBC sport website he won the league as a manager with Notts county.

I stand corrected!

Bare bones.

Sam Allardyce on 11:56 - Jul 21 with 1725 viewssimmo

He's not a world class manager but then we haven't got a world class team. This is our level if we want to go English.

Not too fussed atm, but everything in his club experience is the opposite of what you would look for in an England manager and what the FA set out just 2 years ago. Other than top flight experience. He's not particularly known for promoting youth, he doesn't play expansive or possession football, he has never won anything, he has never held a top position in a team of internationals.

But then it's the best of a bad bunch and Boothroyd is laughable as a choice for intl management and as above his U19 team (and U17's before that) have been doing great. Not just in their performances, but also the job he's done in making sure clubs are working with him and England rather than against them.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Login to get fewer ads

Sam Allardyce on 11:59 - Jul 21 with 1723 viewsWilloW4

Sam Allardyce on 11:50 - Jul 21 by Antti_Heinola

I stand corrected!

Wasn't having a pop Antti, I always thought he'd never won a trophy as well, I'm pretty sure only Notts County fans knew he had.
Sam Allardyce on 12:00 - Jul 21 with 1721 viewspaulparker

Sam Allardyce on 10:57 - Jul 21 by MedwayR

Stuart Pearce took the U21's to a final and semi-final, it doesn't mean a lot. The point is how much do the players learn from Boothroyd & Southgate, not a lot I'd imagine given their respective coaching/managerial records.

Obviously our problems are bigger than who coaches the U19's or U21's, especially when the 3 man panel for selecting the next manager includes a bloke who confessed to not being a football expert!! I guess I see Boothroyd & Southgate as symbols of the lack of imagination and initiative from the FA. When we beat Germany 5-1 they took a serious look at themselves and started again involving the clubs in the process, we lose to Iceland and all we do is appoint Big Sam without taking a look at the bigger picture.

the problem we have Medway is what happens to those players who do well in the under 20's and under 19s , nothing
look at the Premier league this pre season every single signing has been a foreign player all for big money , Chelsea have izzy brown, lewis baker , & solanke but would rather spend 30 million on a Belgium wonder kid
Liverpool are pretty much getting rid of their British spine now same as city and Utd
ive watched every England game for the under 19s this year and we have some great players some real prospects but they will never make it the Prem and will end up like the Bamfords, Mclarechan, and chalobahs of the world ie well paid but will never play any football, that's we are going wrong
English football is dead its to far gone now , we have foreign owners, more foreign players and the glitzy Foreign managers ,the money is obscene , the premier league controls what happens they have fcuked with the league cup & FA cup ,
you wait we will have a global super league soon then international football will really truly be dead

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Sam Allardyce on 12:03 - Jul 21 with 1716 viewsToast_R

Sam Allardyce on 10:57 - Jul 21 by MedwayR

“When we beat Germany 5-1 they took a serious look at themselves and started again involving the clubs in the process, we lose to Iceland and all we do is appoint Big Sam without taking a look at the bigger picture”.

The rot has gone too far now, the German league was and probably still is majority owned by German people with an active interest in the national team. Far easier to reform when they work together.

For a start there’s the Cash cow Premier League which is a law unto itself with one simple aim - to maximise it’s profits. They couldn’t care less about the England Team, it serves them no purpose whatsoever. In fact, they’d probably rather see International football burn in favour of Premier League clubs spending their summers over seas promoting the Premier League in pre-season competitions.

Then you have to consider the clubs, how many are now British owned? Very few and certainly none of the top ones. Do they care about the England team? Of course not, quite the opposite no doubt.

Managers - not many English, the money the clubs make from the Prem means they only want the supposed top coaches from around the world. Do these coaches care much about the England team or English players? — No not really, they have a job to do and that is not part of the description.

Then the players, not many English and certainly young English players graduating in to first team players is becoming rarer and rarer.

This philosophy of finance above absolutely every thing is now creeping down the football league.

How can you possibly re-form this now without a radical break away from the Premier League? — Chances of that - when hell freezes over.
Sam Allardyce on 12:23 - Jul 21 with 1674 viewsrsonist

Sam Allardyce on 10:41 - Jul 21 by paulparker

I'm watching Aidy Boothroyd's England going out of the U19 Euros 0-2 to Italy. They're hopeless. Southgate is on commentary and he hasn't a clue either.
Sam Allardyce on 12:26 - Jul 21 with 1661 viewsrsonist

It's fine anyway. After Russia 2018, Euro Everywhere 2020 and Qatar 2022 international football will be dead as a doornail.
Sam Allardyce on 12:33 - Jul 21 with 1651 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sam Allardyce on 11:59 - Jul 21 by WilloW4

Wasn't having a pop Antti, I always thought he'd never won a trophy as well, I'm pretty sure only Notts County fans knew he had.

didn't think you were mate - i didn't know either! but saw a funny photo of him with the trophy smoking a cigar just moment later. think he won something with Limerick too?

Bare bones.

Sam Allardyce on 12:39 - Jul 21 with 1638 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sam Allardyce on 12:03 - Jul 21 by Toast_R

“When we beat Germany 5-1 they took a serious look at themselves and started again involving the clubs in the process, we lose to Iceland and all we do is appoint Big Sam without taking a look at the bigger picture”.

The rot has gone too far now, the German league was and probably still is majority owned by German people with an active interest in the national team. Far easier to reform when they work together.

For a start there’s the Cash cow Premier League which is a law unto itself with one simple aim - to maximise it’s profits. They couldn’t care less about the England Team, it serves them no purpose whatsoever. In fact, they’d probably rather see International football burn in favour of Premier League clubs spending their summers over seas promoting the Premier League in pre-season competitions.

Then you have to consider the clubs, how many are now British owned? Very few and certainly none of the top ones. Do they care about the England team? Of course not, quite the opposite no doubt.

Managers - not many English, the money the clubs make from the Prem means they only want the supposed top coaches from around the world. Do these coaches care much about the England team or English players? — No not really, they have a job to do and that is not part of the description.

Then the players, not many English and certainly young English players graduating in to first team players is becoming rarer and rarer.

This philosophy of finance above absolutely every thing is now creeping down the football league.

How can you possibly re-form this now without a radical break away from the Premier League? — Chances of that - when hell freezes over.

But there are still plenty of good english players in the Prem. Far more than Wales, who made the semi final. I just can't see that as an excuse - especially as the 'rigours' of the prem don't seem to affect the many, many foreign players we have in the league when they play international tournaments. Definitely agree not enough young English players get a chance, and that's because of the importance of the finances. It is ludicrous. But I don't think it's a big enough excuse. most of the French squad plays outside of France - you'd think that would hinder them, but it doesn't.

The fact is, England should have won that group with 9 points, or 7 minimum. They then would have played and beaten NI. Then likely lost to Belgium, or certainly to Portugal on pens. They didn't do that - but I'm not sure a new manager will drastically change that. I'm not sure any reform with young players will really change that. We had a very decent squad who are technically better than we've probably had for a long time - our players are getting technically better i think.

I think we have a culture of losing. A culture of fear. And that can only be broken with a bit of success.

Bare bones.

Sam Allardyce on 12:48 - Jul 21 with 1624 viewsmikeygunn

Sam Allardyce on 12:33 - Jul 21 by Antti_Heinola

didn't think you were mate - i didn't know either! but saw a funny photo of him with the trophy smoking a cigar just moment later. think he won something with Limerick too?

His football @ Limerick was pure poetry......
Sam Allardyce on 12:53 - Jul 21 with 1612 viewsR_from_afar

Sam Allardyce on 10:32 - Jul 21 by THEBUSH

Don't us English have any decent football managers or even worse, politicians.

What a state we're in and now we're all alone in the world

You read my mind!

That said, I think Sam could do OK because:
- He'll ensure we're disciplined
- He won't be in thrall to the superstar players or the managers of the big teams
- He has skin like a rhinoceros and won't give two hoots about what the pundits and social media warriors say about style and - cough - "DNA"
- Most importantly, he'll pick the right team to win the game.

Or perhaps I've got this all wrong and it will turn to ashes in our mouths, as per usual.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Sam Allardyce on 13:11 - Jul 21 with 1572 viewsFredManRave

Sam Allardyce on 12:33 - Jul 21 by Antti_Heinola

There was a young manager at County
Who went on to manage his country
His name was Big Sam
Not many were a fan
And some just thought he was a bit cúnty.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Sam Allardyce on 13:31 - Jul 21 with 1543 viewsPunteR

Sam Allardyce on 13:11 - Jul 21 by FredManRave

There was a young manager at County
Who went on to manage his country
His name was Big Sam
Not many were a fan
And some just thought he was a bit cúnty.

There was a man called fat Sam
Who used to manage west ham
He wasn't much kop
Worse than klopp
But now manages the English team sham
[Post edited 21 Jul 2016 13:32]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Sam Allardyce on 13:33 - Jul 21 with 1531 viewsToast_R

Sam Allardyce on 12:39 - Jul 21 by Antti_Heinola

But there are still plenty of good english players in the Prem. Far more than Wales, who made the semi final. I just can't see that as an excuse - especially as the 'rigours' of the prem don't seem to affect the many, many foreign players we have in the league when they play international tournaments. Definitely agree not enough young English players get a chance, and that's because of the importance of the finances. It is ludicrous. But I don't think it's a big enough excuse. most of the French squad plays outside of France - you'd think that would hinder them, but it doesn't.

The fact is, England should have won that group with 9 points, or 7 minimum. They then would have played and beaten NI. Then likely lost to Belgium, or certainly to Portugal on pens. They didn't do that - but I'm not sure a new manager will drastically change that. I'm not sure any reform with young players will really change that. We had a very decent squad who are technically better than we've probably had for a long time - our players are getting technically better i think.

I think we have a culture of losing. A culture of fear. And that can only be broken with a bit of success.

I agree they should have done so much better at the World Cup and Euro's with the players and that comes down to the lousy job Hodgson did. Making changes to the team for the Slovakia game and killing any momentum gained from beating Wales was a catastrophic error and one I hope keeps Hodgson awake at night for the rest of his life. What a prize pillock. Everything about England's Euro 2016 campaign was littered with the managers misjudgements from the squad & preparation to the staring elevens and tactics.

2012 and 2014 both times England looked like they'd never seen Pirlo before. 2016 they couldn't defend a long throw after Iceland had used it in three previous matches.

Allardyce will have to go a long way to do any worse then Hodgson managed.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2016 13:37]
Sam Allardyce on 13:38 - Jul 21 with 1514 viewsMytch_QPR

A manager called Sam Allardyce
Won a football match once or twice
This impressed the FA
Who knew it would all end in tears some day
So they decided that he would suffice.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Sam Allardyce on 13:40 - Jul 21 with 1505 viewsMick_S

There was a manager called Sam
Who used to play the guitar
He had many footballing formations
As its very hot in Qatar
But its not in Russia where he will be a Tsar.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Sam Allardyce on 13:44 - Jul 21 with 1492 viewsaston_hoop

There was an old football boss
Whose appointment made everyone cross
Except for a few
Who already knew
That they weren't going to give a toss

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Sam Allardyce on 13:56 - Jul 21 with 1466 viewsToast_R

There was an old gaffer named Sam
Who knew how to use a big man
Drilled at the back
It was like watching Kack
But he’s all we have left in the can

I thank you.
Sam Allardyce on 14:01 - Jul 21 with 1451 viewsAntti_Heinola

Sam Allardyce on 12:53 - Jul 21 by R_from_afar

You read my mind!

That said, I think Sam could do OK because:
- He'll ensure we're disciplined
- He won't be in thrall to the superstar players or the managers of the big teams
- He has skin like a rhinoceros and won't give two hoots about what the pundits and social media warriors say about style and - cough - "DNA"
- Most importantly, he'll pick the right team to win the game.

Or perhaps I've got this all wrong and it will turn to ashes in our mouths, as per usual.

RFA

Where does this stuff about Allardyce having a thick skin actually come from? He seems to have the thinnest skin of almost any boss out there, with his constant whining and whingeing about his own reputation.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024